Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Come in No.1 Your time is up. 14:59 - Feb 11 with 713 viewsgerry_us

Yes, I know what will be said “Gerry’s on his high horse about Sam Walker AGAIN”
As I only get to see away games I can honestly say I haven’t seen Sam Walker have a good game in the past two season. Frankly he is “too” tall for a goal keeper especially when he doesn’t utilise his height in commanding his box for crosses. His fallibility however is mainly on low shots when he is unable to get down quick enough. Yesterday was a case in point in that for the first goal he should have been in the thick of things gathering the cross but then not having made the effort should certainly have saved the scuffed low shot near the post; how the hell did that get in?
The third goal was totally down to Walker. No goalkeeper should be beaten from at least thirty yards out from the middle of the pitch with nobody un-sighting him. His feeble effort to save it was embarrassing to say the least. Then he had the cheek to complain to everyone around; something he does in abundance.
Sam, take some responsibility for the situation we find ourselves and stand yourself down. We have another goalie on the books that has had neither the chance nor opportunity to show what he can do between the sticks. Frankly it can’t be any worse!
And for those who will no doubt reply, “Sam has saved us many times”, we frankly wouldn’t be in this position if he was performing as you all seem to say. Why did Chelsea let him go in the first place; because he wasn’t going to make it…and he hasn’t, yet.
Let the battle commence but please give some considered thoughts to your replies as “Big Sam is great” won’t cut it with me
Come in No.1 Your time is up. on 17:15 - Feb 11 with 691 viewsnoah4x4

We had a passionate debate on the CUSA bus. Loads of opinion expressed on everything, but nobody took the bait when I provocatively suggested drop Walker for Lewington. Somehow big Sam has made himself fireproof with a majority of fans.

But I too thought he might have done better. But it doesn't make sense to me that the Daggers let Lewington go and instead took our number two Mark Cousins and an odd swop hence occured. I am unsure. Don't we have a goalkeeping coach? Wonder what he says (does he ever speak)?
Come in No.1 Your time is up. on 17:50 - Feb 11 with 682 viewsdurham_exile

Come in No.1 Your time is up. on 17:15 - Feb 11 by noah4x4

We had a passionate debate on the CUSA bus. Loads of opinion expressed on everything, but nobody took the bait when I provocatively suggested drop Walker for Lewington. Somehow big Sam has made himself fireproof with a majority of fans.

But I too thought he might have done better. But it doesn't make sense to me that the Daggers let Lewington go and instead took our number two Mark Cousins and an odd swop hence occured. I am unsure. Don't we have a goalkeeping coach? Wonder what he says (does he ever speak)?

Noah - Gerry and I have this conversation at every away game. Big Sam is a fan's favourite and he seems totally committed to the U's cause.

I thought that Sam was to blame for two goals last night; but equally he has saved the team on other occasions. I would also put the case for the profligacy shown by strikers and midfield players when well positioned in front of the opposition goal.

After the game, regardless of result Sam always applauds the faithful and vice versa.

I was disappointed last night not to see TH approach the 148 fans. After all he was further from them than in the home dug out when the main WHCS stand vent their feelings for changes in personnel.

I haven't seen Lewington play and we don't have the luxury of cup ties to blood him in!

The problems are more deep rooted than the Number 1 jersey however.

Whatever the situation we simply have to survive in this league. Relegation will certainly not help our cause and the crowds will dwindle further.

17 cup finals for 23 points. That is the simple equation.

Starting at Boundary Park.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Come in No.1 Your time is up. on 18:05 - Feb 11 with 676 viewspwrightsknees

I've been reading this thread and previous posts about Sam. But, whatever you say, conceding 4 goals says more about the defence/goalkeeper, than it does about our forwards missing a few.

That's another problem, but, worrying though that is, we can't expect our forwards to score 5 whenever we concede 4.
Come in No.1 Your time is up. on 15:26 - Feb 12 with 633 viewsnoah4x4

Durham you say....

"I was disappointed last night not to see TH approach the 148 fans. After all he was further from them than in the home dug out when the main WHCS stand vent their feelings for changes in personnel".

So would you approach the dozen (or so) foul mouthed animals that had chanted personal abuse throughout the game knowing that all you are going to recieve is even more abuse? My guess is that what Tony really wanted was the earth to swallow him up and who can blame him for that? I agree it's a shame for real fans, but as usual, the minority spoil things.

Frankly, I don't see the point of fans barracking the manager and individual players during a game. They can already hear our spontanous 'groans' of frustration, so how does venomous personal abuse assist the team or its plight? Note that I don't have a problem with a (collective/polite) 'boo' at the final whistle; but (IMHO) the level of personal abuse is now going too far.

Everybody is entitled to a workplace free of personal abuse and had employees suffered this nonsence in the railway station; Tesco; the general hospital or even a night club the perpetrators would have spent the night in a cell. So why is it tolerated at a football ground? Why too are we allowing the Internet Trolls anonymity to act like cavemen?

Twenty years ago, no 'real supporter' would act like this, and others would be scared to step out of line; albeit that their strong feelings would still be communicated to football management (e.g. perhaps a 'boo' at final whistle). I reckon what has happened is that whilst we may have stamped out racist homophobia being expressed by individuals we have replaced it with an equally abhorent form of personal insults; and is it any surprise that in barely a decade management sackings have risen ten fold? But just what is the benefit of that particular merry go round? The U's have had six managers since Parky left in 2006!
Come in No.1 Your time is up. on 15:57 - Feb 12 with 626 viewsburnsieespana

Come in No.1 Your time is up. on 15:26 - Feb 12 by noah4x4

Durham you say....

"I was disappointed last night not to see TH approach the 148 fans. After all he was further from them than in the home dug out when the main WHCS stand vent their feelings for changes in personnel".

So would you approach the dozen (or so) foul mouthed animals that had chanted personal abuse throughout the game knowing that all you are going to recieve is even more abuse? My guess is that what Tony really wanted was the earth to swallow him up and who can blame him for that? I agree it's a shame for real fans, but as usual, the minority spoil things.

Frankly, I don't see the point of fans barracking the manager and individual players during a game. They can already hear our spontanous 'groans' of frustration, so how does venomous personal abuse assist the team or its plight? Note that I don't have a problem with a (collective/polite) 'boo' at the final whistle; but (IMHO) the level of personal abuse is now going too far.

Everybody is entitled to a workplace free of personal abuse and had employees suffered this nonsence in the railway station; Tesco; the general hospital or even a night club the perpetrators would have spent the night in a cell. So why is it tolerated at a football ground? Why too are we allowing the Internet Trolls anonymity to act like cavemen?

Twenty years ago, no 'real supporter' would act like this, and others would be scared to step out of line; albeit that their strong feelings would still be communicated to football management (e.g. perhaps a 'boo' at final whistle). I reckon what has happened is that whilst we may have stamped out racist homophobia being expressed by individuals we have replaced it with an equally abhorent form of personal insults; and is it any surprise that in barely a decade management sackings have risen ten fold? But just what is the benefit of that particular merry go round? The U's have had six managers since Parky left in 2006!

Again noah talks so much sense.
Foul mouthed and or personal abuse has grown since the advent of social media sites. Down here I blong to a number of different groups to find info etc but the amount of personal abuse is unbelievable.
Who would want to be a football manager as the abuse they have to take is incredible>
6 Managers since Parky left and after all he was not with us that long is crazy aas every one wants to stamp his own mark on the team so we then have a crazy merry go round of players.
I think in the last 20 years the longest serving manager has been Steve Wignall with four years and since he went in 1999 we have had 11 including Tony Humes!
Come in No.1 Your time is up. on 11:38 - Feb 13 with 595 viewsgerry_us

Forgot to mention that Sam Walker was the only U's player to come over to acknowledge the travelling fans at Sheffield on Tuesday. Not sure his wave followed by upturned palms was needed unless he was trying to say "Not MY fault guys".
Mmm, really? 50 goals conceded, only topped by Crewe, Crawley and Carlisle. Obviously teams starting with a "C" are not competent at "D" efending!
Come in No.1 Your time is up. on 13:26 - Feb 13 with 581 viewsAFCMorant

I feel sorry for Sam Walker with that shower of shite in front of him.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024