Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Random Best singer thread-who was the best 20:19 - Oct 24 with 791 viewsmrhappy

Random Best singer thread-who was the best

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

MR HAPPY SAYS BE HAPPY - LIFE IS SHORT - MAKE IT COUNT ! GOD BLESS YOU !
Poll: Derby County - how the mighty have fallen - Rooney the Gooney

Random Best singer thread-who was the best on 20:25 - Oct 24 with 770 viewsBarsidepete

This is a tough one. I grew with Elvis. Voted for Frank. Perry Como has the best Christmas album ever as far as I'm concerned.

Rod's You're in my heart you're in my soul may be my favourite song ever.

I'll go with Frank.

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Random Best singer thread-who was the best on 20:56 - Oct 24 with 768 viewswessex_exile

Tough call from that list, has to be either the King or the Queen for me, but I've gone for Freddie on balance.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Random Best singer thread-who was the best on 22:21 - Oct 24 with 762 viewsFruitbat

Nope. None to my tastes I'm afraid.
Random Best singer thread-who was the best on 22:55 - Oct 24 with 749 viewswessex_exile

Random Best singer thread-who was the best on 22:21 - Oct 24 by Fruitbat

Is it the lackadaisical attention to capital letters for proper nouns?

Up the U's

Random Best singer thread-who was the best on 01:45 - Oct 25 with 736 viewspwrightsknees

How can you leave out Roy Orbison - "The Caruso of Rock"? No-one else in the list comes near.
Random Best singer thread-who was the best on 06:42 - Oct 25 with 720 viewsLeadbelly

I agree with PWK. Elvis actually said he wished he could sing like the Big O.

As to the list, I have to agree with Fruitbat so I'll vote "none of the above"

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Random Best singer thread-who was the best on 12:53 - Oct 28 with 661 viewsthrillseeker

Random Best singer thread-who was the best on 22:21 - Oct 24 by Fruitbat

With Friutbat on this one - none to my taste

They are also a bit too old for me as well
Random Best singer thread-who was the best on 14:03 - Oct 28 with 654 viewsmrhappy

Random Best singer thread-who was the best on 12:53 - Oct 28 by thrillseeker

With Friutbat on this one - none to my taste

They are also a bit too old for me as well

Ken Dodds only 86

Login to get fewer ads

Random Best singer thread-who was the best on 16:15 - Oct 28 with 638 viewsSector4

Where is Carl McCoy from Fields of the Nephiliim?
Random Best singer thread-who was the best on 16:17 - Oct 28 with 635 viewsthrillseeker

Random Best singer thread-who was the best on 14:03 - Oct 28 by mrhappy

Ken Dodds only 86

Is he still the only man that finds him funny?
Random Best singer thread-who was the best on 17:23 - Oct 28 with 623 viewscarruthers

Elvis is the King, Nat King Cole had a wonderful voice, my mother in law bought all of Ken Dodds Records, I can remember Cheryl Cole or whatever her name is describing a Roy Orbison song as 'cheesy', stupid tart
Random Best singer thread-who was the best on 19:26 - Oct 28 with 599 viewswessex_exile

Random Best singer thread-who was the best on 17:23 - Oct 28 by carruthers

Elvis is the King, Nat King Cole had a wonderful voice, my mother in law bought all of Ken Dodds Records, I can remember Cheryl Cole or whatever her name is describing a Roy Orbison song as 'cheesy', stupid tart

Thanks Strimms - you may not have meant it to, but that last frank and factual observation had me genuinely laughing out loud! :-)

Up the U's

Random Best singer thread-who was the best on 20:12 - Oct 28 with 589 viewswessex_exile

Of course, it may have escaped everyone else's attention, it certainly did mine until just now (and Strimm's comment on Cheryl Cole), but all of Hap's choices are male. There are surely female singers worthy of consideration? I'll throw one out there for now - Sandy Denny.

Up the U's

Random Best singer thread-who was the best on 21:03 - Oct 28 with 583 viewsmrhappy

Oh yes

For nobody to hear...

But like all the others in the main she died young.

Why do they self destruct?

Random Best singer thread-who was the best on 21:45 - Oct 28 with 572 viewsgerry_us

Freddie Mercury - Who wants to live forever?
Best song EVER and very prophetic unfortunately.
Random Best singer thread-who was the best on 22:08 - Oct 28 with 569 viewswessex_exile

Random Best singer thread-who was the best on 21:03 - Oct 28 by mrhappy

Oh yes

For nobody to hear...

But like all the others in the main she died young.

Why do they self destruct?

In Sandy's case, a combination of drugs and a flight of stairs...

...but you're right, many of the truly gifted artistic geniuses do leave us far too soon - Nick Drake, Kirsty MacColl, Jimi Hendrix, Keith Moon, Marc Bolan, Buddy Holly, Kurt Cobain, James Dean, Janis Joplin - the list goes on and on. Drugs and/or suicide are a common factor for these blessed yet tortured souls, though fast cars, planes and speed boats also feature quite heavily. But maybe too their untimely death is a factor in measuring their genius - if they'd gone on to be tired washed-out old has-beens, rolling out their weary classics of yesteryear to a frankly disinterested public, would we remember them how we do?

edit: and of course Freddie Mercury Gerry, shouldn't have forgotten him.
[Post edited 28 Oct 2015 22:10]

Up the U's

Random Best singer thread-who was the best on 15:24 - Oct 29 with 536 viewscarruthers

I think that Eddie Cochran could be added to the above, but then I'm ancient. could have gone to his last show in Bristol but it was too far to go. Ho hum. I can also recall sitting in my dads car outside Molineux after a game and hearing on the radio that Buddy Holly had died in a plane crash, must have had an affect as I still recall the moment.
Random Best singer thread-who was the best on 17:08 - Oct 29 with 529 viewsmrhappy

Random Best singer thread-who was the best on 22:08 - Oct 28 by wessex_exile

In Sandy's case, a combination of drugs and a flight of stairs...

...but you're right, many of the truly gifted artistic geniuses do leave us far too soon - Nick Drake, Kirsty MacColl, Jimi Hendrix, Keith Moon, Marc Bolan, Buddy Holly, Kurt Cobain, James Dean, Janis Joplin - the list goes on and on. Drugs and/or suicide are a common factor for these blessed yet tortured souls, though fast cars, planes and speed boats also feature quite heavily. But maybe too their untimely death is a factor in measuring their genius - if they'd gone on to be tired washed-out old has-beens, rolling out their weary classics of yesteryear to a frankly disinterested public, would we remember them how we do?

edit: and of course Freddie Mercury Gerry, shouldn't have forgotten him.
[Post edited 28 Oct 2015 22:10]

thanks buddy

Random Best singer thread-who was the best on 17:36 - Oct 29 with 528 viewsFruitbat

Random Best singer thread-who was the best on 16:15 - Oct 28 by Sector4

Where is Carl McCoy from Fields of the Nephiliim?

Oh yes! Saw the Nephs several times in their heyday. If the original list had been, say,

Andrew Eldrich
Robert Smith
Carl McCoy
Peter Murphy
Ian Astbury

then it becomes a much tougher choice.
Random Best singer thread-who was the best on 12:12 - Oct 31 with 493 viewsSector4

Random Best singer thread-who was the best on 17:36 - Oct 29 by Fruitbat

Oh yes! Saw the Nephs several times in their heyday. If the original list had been, say,

Andrew Eldrich
Robert Smith
Carl McCoy
Peter Murphy
Ian Astbury

then it becomes a much tougher choice.

Very true fruit bat. I may add Wayne hussey to that list too.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024