Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Essex -- "In the Heart of the Sea" 16:51 - Dec 16 with 1339 viewsBarsidepete

The Essex, a New England ship from Nantucket, Massachusetts, was sunk by a giant sperm whale in 1820. It kept attacking and attacking.

Herman Melville based his novel "Moby Dick, or the Whale" (1851) on this true story.

The novel is 800 pages. The film is apparently spectacular, not seen it yet, but will. Ron Howard as the director is not a bad thing.

edit, thought to self. Is this one reason there are so many New England Patriots fans in England?? -- I mean in Essex and such?

We Do Have a Colchester Street here near where I live in Virginia, a smidgen west of Wash DC. In fact, there is a COLCHESTER, Virginia, established 1753, southish of Wash DC. A tobacco port town originally...

It's on the Occoquan River, north of Woodbridge -- and a few of you will understand even that irony ...

Ey, so many of you Brits wanted to come here way back in the day. That's your problem now

And to be politically incorrect, MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!
[Post edited 16 Dec 2015 17:18]

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

The Essex -- "In the Heart of the Sea" on 17:10 - Dec 16 with 1326 viewsdurham_exile

Pete according to the BBC (so it must be true) Howard's film sunk at the box office in the US making only $7.25m on debut in over 3,000 cinemas after costing $100m to make.

It opens here on Boxing Day and despite the poor footfall in the US, the CGI Whale looks impressive. Perhaps the Yanks didn't like the cannibalism after over 90 days at sea in small boats.

The cast is good and Ron Howard a decent director so perhaps I might drag myself away from the Grinch (the film that is) and go and see for myself.

Let us hope that the force awakens on Boxing Day at the WHCS for a rousing Christmas win against Scummend.

Merry Christmas.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

The Essex -- "In the Heart of the Sea" on 17:45 - Dec 16 with 1312 viewsLeadbelly

I read Moby Dick for the second time earlier this year. Excellent read with an unbeatable first line.

Patriots fandom due to Steve Grogan's exploits in 1984 rather than any England connection.

There is a Braintree and an Ipswich in MA. CT and VT both have a Colchester and a Norwich.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

The Essex -- "In the Heart of the Sea" on 17:46 - Dec 16 with 1312 viewsBarsidepete

Reviews have been very good here, Pete. Although with all those graduating film school students you get for free, essentially, not sure why it cost that much to do quality CG (computer generated imagery)..

I don't go see as many films per year as I used to. But there are so many incredible movies this Christmas season, the audience is going to get a bit diluted.

Films you can actually take family to without wincing during a gratuitous nude scene or a gory 10 minutes. You know.

In my teen years in Germany it seemed that seafaring films were very popular. And Winnetou. I'm a huge fan. As a German minded kiddo, I always "heard" Old Surehand, not Old Shatterhand.

Ok, what is everyone's favourite holiday film, can be a toon, a certain war movie ... The Lion in Winter? A Christmas Story? A Charlie Brown Christmas?

I really love The Vicar of Dibley Christmas special. It has so much potential sadness but turns so happy. And yes, I have the complete box set

The Essex -- on 18:06 - Dec 16 with 1307 viewsBarsidepete

The Essex -- "In the Heart of the Sea" on 17:45 - Dec 16 by Leadbelly

I read Moby Dick for the second time earlier this year. Excellent read with an unbeatable first line.

Patriots fandom due to Steve Grogan's exploits in 1984 rather than any England connection.

There is a Braintree and an Ipswich in MA. CT and VT both have a Colchester and a Norwich.

When you visit the USA, Lead, here in the Noof East, you reaiise that everything, city or town, practically, look to be named after Brits, Irish, Scottish places ... The western-ish northeast, the Dutch (Pennsylvania); the mid south the French, the midwest--Germans and Scandinavians... the west coast, the Spaniards, duh.

I don't understand why more Brits don't vacay in the USA. You have oceans here, rivers, winter, summer down south, mountains, prairies (if you're into hunting--the USA is legal with that), lakes near Chicago as big as oceans -- for any sportsman or sportswoman, the Great Lakes is one of the most incredible bodies of water you will ever see. It's the Galapagos, but for hunters and fishermen, Illinois and Wisconsin. But with one of the fab cities on the planet nearby. Chicago. I've been in Chicago. It blows your socks off, that good. Milwaukee, Wisconsin, more if you prefer a bed and breakfast and like the GB Packers.

My beloved Iowa is the only states with two coasts -- mid-country-- the legendary rivers the Mississippi and the Missouri framing them left and right side over 250-300 miles.

Trust me. I'm a Des Moiner (Iowa), but if you visit Chicago, you will Never regret it. You can't stay there for two weeks as a tourist, you'll have to come back. Crikey, the northside, downtown, coast, soouthside, polish district.

Anyway, back on point. What adventure movies do you like? ... and yes, have mountain biked down Mount Tamalpais north of San Francisco, and surfed in Hawai'i ... and cross country skied Mount Hood, Oregon, where at times you are going 40 mph and you feel you will possibly crash into a tree and your brain becomes a cracked walnut.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2015 18:24]

The Essex -- "In the Heart of the Sea" on 19:02 - Dec 16 with 1287 viewspwrightsknees

I've always been astonished by the amazing coincidence that the Pilgrim Fathers left Plymouth in England in 1620 in "The Mayflower, and with only rudimentary navigational equipment landed at Plymouth Rock (or nearby) in New England. What are the chances of that?

My favourite Christmas film - "We're No Angels" (1955) - Humphrey Bogart, Peter Ustinov, Aldo Ray, Leo G. Carroll.

By the way, my wife and I were married in Woodbridge, Suffolk in 1969.
The Essex -- "In the Heart of the Sea" on 19:19 - Dec 16 with 1283 viewsFruitbat

Pete, to take the Essex lnk even further, two of your recent Presidents trace their ancestry back to the village I was lagely brought up in. The "Snr" one visited one day (I was at work) and left a stars & stripes which was still in the church last time I went in there (although that was a good few years ago).

"The Wind Whales Of Ishmael" by, I think Phillip Jose Farmer, is a readable sci-fi sequel to Moby Dick if you can still get it.

There can be no better Christmas film than Bad Santa and no better Christmas song than this:
The Essex -- "In the Heart of the Sea" on 19:30 - Dec 16 with 1279 viewspwrightsknees

The Essex -- "In the Heart of the Sea" on 19:19 - Dec 16 by Fruitbat

Pete, to take the Essex lnk even further, two of your recent Presidents trace their ancestry back to the village I was lagely brought up in. The "Snr" one visited one day (I was at work) and left a stars & stripes which was still in the church last time I went in there (although that was a good few years ago).

"The Wind Whales Of Ishmael" by, I think Phillip Jose Farmer, is a readable sci-fi sequel to Moby Dick if you can still get it.

There can be no better Christmas film than Bad Santa and no better Christmas song than this:

FB. I assume your are referring to George Bush Snr., and the village of Messing. My Dad's birth certificate shows he was born in Messing. Actually, he was born in what is now know as Tiptree, but which didn't officially exist till about 1934, and where Dad was born, was, in 1909, still part of Messing.
The Essex -- "In the Heart of the Sea" on 19:45 - Dec 16 with 1276 viewsFruitbat

The Essex -- "In the Heart of the Sea" on 19:30 - Dec 16 by pwrightsknees

FB. I assume your are referring to George Bush Snr., and the village of Messing. My Dad's birth certificate shows he was born in Messing. Actually, he was born in what is now know as Tiptree, but which didn't officially exist till about 1934, and where Dad was born, was, in 1909, still part of Messing.

The very same.

If I had to guess,I'd say the bit you're referring to would be somewhere up near the Maypole?
Login to get fewer ads

The Essex -- on 19:46 - Dec 16 with 1276 viewsBarsidepete

The Essex -- "In the Heart of the Sea" on 19:02 - Dec 16 by pwrightsknees

I've always been astonished by the amazing coincidence that the Pilgrim Fathers left Plymouth in England in 1620 in "The Mayflower, and with only rudimentary navigational equipment landed at Plymouth Rock (or nearby) in New England. What are the chances of that?

My favourite Christmas film - "We're No Angels" (1955) - Humphrey Bogart, Peter Ustinov, Aldo Ray, Leo G. Carroll.

By the way, my wife and I were married in Woodbridge, Suffolk in 1969.

I stayed in Harwich for 2 weeks once, where the boat went ultimately to Plymouth Rock...

When they founded the Plymouth colony in 1620,.. in the silly US of A

The province of Virginia. Washington Redskins fan. Here I am -- why they picked Redskins as DC's NFL team name, I'll never know

omg, I asked for favourite Christmastime films. What is Wrong With you Nutters.

Bridge over the River Kwai is a fave here. I saw that one with my pop --god rest his souls-- at the age age of of 10 in Nuremberg, Germany.

This is not not rocket science. What films do you love that are not holiday ones? I think one time I went to see a James Bond. Keep it simple stupid.

[Post edited 17 Dec 2015 3:57]

The Essex -- "In the Heart of the Sea" on 19:59 - Dec 16 with 1269 viewspwrightsknees

The Essex -- "In the Heart of the Sea" on 19:45 - Dec 16 by Fruitbat

The very same.

If I had to guess,I'd say the bit you're referring to would be somewhere up near the Maypole?

Not quite FB. In what was known as "Brick Buildings" (now re-developed) on Newbridge Road, opposite the junction with Grove Road. My early years were spent in Chapel Road.
The Essex -- "In the Heart of the Sea" on 20:09 - Dec 16 with 1267 viewsLeadbelly

Have to agree with Fruitbat, Bad Santa is a top Christmas film albeit somewhat lacking in festive spirit. It's A Wonderful Life is often cited as a great Christmas film because the final part happens at Christmas but I think it's just a great film.

The Essex -- "In the Heart of the Sea" on 21:15 - Dec 16 with 1258 viewsdurham_exile

The Essex -- "In the Heart of the Sea" on 20:09 - Dec 16 by Leadbelly

Have to agree with Fruitbat, Bad Santa is a top Christmas film albeit somewhat lacking in festive spirit. It's A Wonderful Life is often cited as a great Christmas film because the final part happens at Christmas but I think it's just a great film.

I am afraid that I have always thought the film it's a wonderful life is massively over rated.

Miracle on 34th street, the Grinch who stole Christmas, Jack Frost and Bad Santa are my four favourite Christmas films.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

The Essex -- on 21:18 - Dec 16 with 1258 viewsLeadbelly

The Essex -- on 18:06 - Dec 16 by Barsidepete

When you visit the USA, Lead, here in the Noof East, you reaiise that everything, city or town, practically, look to be named after Brits, Irish, Scottish places ... The western-ish northeast, the Dutch (Pennsylvania); the mid south the French, the midwest--Germans and Scandinavians... the west coast, the Spaniards, duh.

I don't understand why more Brits don't vacay in the USA. You have oceans here, rivers, winter, summer down south, mountains, prairies (if you're into hunting--the USA is legal with that), lakes near Chicago as big as oceans -- for any sportsman or sportswoman, the Great Lakes is one of the most incredible bodies of water you will ever see. It's the Galapagos, but for hunters and fishermen, Illinois and Wisconsin. But with one of the fab cities on the planet nearby. Chicago. I've been in Chicago. It blows your socks off, that good. Milwaukee, Wisconsin, more if you prefer a bed and breakfast and like the GB Packers.

My beloved Iowa is the only states with two coasts -- mid-country-- the legendary rivers the Mississippi and the Missouri framing them left and right side over 250-300 miles.

Trust me. I'm a Des Moiner (Iowa), but if you visit Chicago, you will Never regret it. You can't stay there for two weeks as a tourist, you'll have to come back. Crikey, the northside, downtown, coast, soouthside, polish district.

Anyway, back on point. What adventure movies do you like? ... and yes, have mountain biked down Mount Tamalpais north of San Francisco, and surfed in Hawai'i ... and cross country skied Mount Hood, Oregon, where at times you are going 40 mph and you feel you will possibly crash into a tree and your brain becomes a cracked walnut.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2015 18:24]

As a country boy who's worked in central London for 27 years there is zero chance of my spending very long in Chicago or any other city when it's my free time. I'm sure all these places are tremendously interesting and entertaining but I'll do pretty much anything to avoid large numbers of people when I can. You can fill in your own Col U related joke at this point!

The Essex -- on 04:08 - Dec 17 with 1221 viewsBarsidepete

The Essex -- on 21:18 - Dec 16 by Leadbelly

As a country boy who's worked in central London for 27 years there is zero chance of my spending very long in Chicago or any other city when it's my free time. I'm sure all these places are tremendously interesting and entertaining but I'll do pretty much anything to avoid large numbers of people when I can. You can fill in your own Col U related joke at this point!

You are so annoying, Lead. This thread is going eveywhere

OK,... ColU joke ... "This weekend saw Norwich City match their worst ever getting punked by Colchester 7-1 at home vers Colchester."

One fan called his mum,. "Mum, I couldn't believe it . One more and I'd have had to count them on my other hand."

Happy?

Merry Christmas all Nutters. Things will be ok. Don't start stocking up on Marmite,

[Post edited 17 Dec 2015 4:12]

The Essex -- "In the Heart of the Sea" on 12:51 - Dec 17 with 1191 viewsAFCMorant

Passed by Colchester, Vermont a couple of years ago.
The film can't be as boring as the book, must rank as the most tedious novel ever.
The Essex -- "In the Heart of the Sea" on 17:14 - Dec 17 with 1176 viewsLeadbelly

The Essex -- "In the Heart of the Sea" on 12:51 - Dec 17 by AFCMorant

Passed by Colchester, Vermont a couple of years ago.
The film can't be as boring as the book, must rank as the most tedious novel ever.

One man's pleasure is another man's pain

The Essex -- on 02:21 - Dec 18 with 1145 viewsBarsidepete

The Essex -- "In the Heart of the Sea" on 17:14 - Dec 17 by Leadbelly

The Great Escape. It's such a classic, Christmastime.

Lawrence of Arabia... (too)

Some films besides silly holiday films I do not watch until they have em on the teley this time of year

edit, me: obviously this a "hidden thread" like I used to see on a Reading board way way way back in the day, we'd hijack the threads of random posters,,,,

look, they had like 3 US national players there. I can be forgiven ... The biscuit eaters. Yar, I've heard all the insults 10-15 years ago

I can't believe I'm coming out of the closet to admit being a Reading fan. Just kill me now.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2015 2:35]

The Essex -- "In the Heart of the Sea" on 08:29 - Dec 18 with 1133 viewsAFCMorant

The Essex -- "In the Heart of the Sea" on 17:14 - Dec 17 by Leadbelly

Vive le difference!
Amazingly some people can't stand James Joyce.
The Essex -- "In the Heart of the Sea" on 10:31 - Dec 18 with 1126 viewsFruitbat

The Essex -- "In the Heart of the Sea" on 08:29 - Dec 18 by AFCMorant

Vive le difference!
Amazingly some people can't stand James Joyce.

People like me! Did Dubliners for A Level. What a load of turgid old cobblers that was.
The Essex -- "In the Heart of the Sea" on 10:55 - Dec 18 with 1120 viewswessex_exile

The Essex -- "In the Heart of the Sea" on 10:31 - Dec 18 by Fruitbat

People like me! Did Dubliners for A Level. What a load of turgid old cobblers that was.

Which is where I naturally have to disagree - I too did Dubliners for A-Level, and it beat the crap out of pretty much anything else we had to read in my opinion (although Philip Larkin's poetry wasn't bad). However, don't get me started on Bleak House...

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

The Essex -- "In the Heart of the Sea" on 11:22 - Dec 18 with 1120 viewsFruitbat

The Essex -- "In the Heart of the Sea" on 10:55 - Dec 18 by wessex_exile

Which is where I naturally have to disagree - I too did Dubliners for A-Level, and it beat the crap out of pretty much anything else we had to read in my opinion (although Philip Larkin's poetry wasn't bad). However, don't get me started on Bleak House...

I'm with you all the way on Dickens, just don't get it. (apart from The Signalman, which is a classic)
The Essex -- "In the Heart of the Sea" on 13:13 - Dec 18 with 1108 viewsBarsidepete

The Essex -- "In the Heart of the Sea" on 11:22 - Dec 18 by Fruitbat

I'm with you all the way on Dickens, just don't get it. (apart from The Signalman, which is a classic)

This will about do it for me till Christmas/New Years. MFB can tell you why if you inbox him; but I'm not doing a public post. But M has the right to tell you why. And it's not about a vacay.

Home Alone was a film I loved back when.

Elf! Have to give great respect to ole Will Ferrell...

Is there a Doctor Who Christmas special this year that I can get on-demand New Years time?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024