Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Russia 2018 16:16 - Jun 13 with 920 viewsLeadbelly

Despite serious concerns about the voting process and possible bribes, FIFA clearly has no plans to move the 2018 World Cup from Russia. Does the behaviour of Russian fans, attacking other fans whilst apparently sober, wearing paramilitary clothing, gumshield and fighting gloves, mean that Russia will be too unsafe for other fans and the World Cup should be relocated as a matter of urgency?

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Russia 2018 (n/t) on 09:02 - Jun 14 with 878 viewsTheOldOakTree

[Post edited 27 Jun 2016 18:48]
Russia 2018 on 14:03 - Jun 14 with 857 viewsLeadbelly

Russia 2018 (n/t) on 09:02 - Jun 14 by TheOldOakTree

TOOT,

Nothing rose tinted about my eyewear and I have nothing but contempt for those whose violence ruins what should be a festival of football, wherever they come from.

My point is whether Russia is an appropriate host for the next World Cup. In view of the comments below, from senior Russia politicians, I would suggest not.

"I don't see anything terrible about fans fighting. Quite the opposite, the guys did well. Keep it up!"

Igor Lebedev, nationalist MP and executive member of Russian Football Union

AP

But many of those who did travel, fought with their faces uncovered - apparently unconcerned about repercussions.

Both Russia and England face penalties from Uefa if the violence continues. The ultimate punishment - disqualification - would be devastating for Russia which hosts the World Cup in 2018.

But for now, the mood here is defiant.

"The lads defended the honour of their country," Russian media quoted MP Igor Lebedev, who is also on the executive committee of the Football Union.

The spokesman for Russia's powerful Investigative Committee went even further.

"A normal man, as he should be, surprises them," tweeted Vladimir Markin, referring to European outrage at Russian hooligans. "They're used to seeing 'men' at gay parades," he concluded.

Russia 2018 (n/t) on 15:53 - Jun 14 with 846 viewsTheOldOakTree

Russia 2018 on 14:03 - Jun 14 by Leadbelly

TOOT,

Nothing rose tinted about my eyewear and I have nothing but contempt for those whose violence ruins what should be a festival of football, wherever they come from.

My point is whether Russia is an appropriate host for the next World Cup. In view of the comments below, from senior Russia politicians, I would suggest not.

"I don't see anything terrible about fans fighting. Quite the opposite, the guys did well. Keep it up!"

Igor Lebedev, nationalist MP and executive member of Russian Football Union

AP

But many of those who did travel, fought with their faces uncovered - apparently unconcerned about repercussions.

Both Russia and England face penalties from Uefa if the violence continues. The ultimate punishment - disqualification - would be devastating for Russia which hosts the World Cup in 2018.

But for now, the mood here is defiant.

"The lads defended the honour of their country," Russian media quoted MP Igor Lebedev, who is also on the executive committee of the Football Union.

The spokesman for Russia's powerful Investigative Committee went even further.

"A normal man, as he should be, surprises them," tweeted Vladimir Markin, referring to European outrage at Russian hooligans. "They're used to seeing 'men' at gay parades," he concluded.

Russia 2018 on 19:26 - Jun 14 with 821 viewsbwildered

Let's not forget TOOT , English football did get a ban served to the clubs, which without European competition left the national side struggling to qualify national competition, so did the crime and served the crime .
How many others have ?

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Russia 2018 on 20:40 - Jun 14 with 808 viewswessex_exile

A few of my own very generalised thoughts on the matter, in a somewhat bullet-point format.

* Has football hooliganism ever gone away? Nope, but as someone commented on 5Live this evening, it has more mutated into something less definable than the (relatively) clear-cut days of the 70s and 80s;
* Excusable? Nope, the behaviour of some of our fans in the days and hours leading up to the Russia game was utterly disgraceful;
* But? Without condoning any of the above, most of the trouble caused actually at the ground was undoubtedly caused solely by Russian thugs;
* Widespread? Nope, by 'some of our fans' I mean a tiny minority of the tens of thousands of right-minded, decent, respectful England supporters over in France;
* Culprits? Sad 40+ shaven-headed beer bellies living on memory, or even sadder lowlife teenage wannabees - go Google "EDL" and you'll see both in profusion;
* England come home? Definitely not, there is no way that the actions of these lowlifes should ruin it for everyone else, just get their photos, track them down, and ban them for life at a pace to suit;
* England sent home? Well it's possible, but I suspect unlikely - however, bizarrely, the threat of that happening is sort of a green light to neanderthals from other countries to have a go just to try and have us forced out of the competition - and needless to say the key demographic identified above are too stupid to not facilitate that process;
* Russia? As with England, they have a big hooligan problem, and I would suggest bigger than ours these days - the crucial difference (I see) is that whilst we're dealing with boorish xenophobic ignorant tvvats, their breed is a somewhat harder, much more focused brand, who actually only care about the fighting (and saw the opportunity to test their prowess against the home of football hooliganism - the social media feedback appears to suggest they were not impressed, and gave our 'top boys' a bit of a kicking - an opinion sadly supported by some in positions of considerable authority in Russia);
* Fall-out? A very sad series of events that brings shame on the English team, including everyone connected with the squad, and our fantastically passionate supporters, both over in France and throughout the world;
* 2018 World Cup? Whether you think they should or not, Russia won't lose the competition, but like my own personal concerns regarding choosing South Africa for 2010, anyone that travels in support (assuming we qualify) should do so with their eyes wide open...and preferably with one of those eyes in the back of their heads.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Russia 2018 on 22:45 - Jun 14 with 792 viewsLeadbelly

Russia 2018 on 20:40 - Jun 14 by wessex_exile

A few of my own very generalised thoughts on the matter, in a somewhat bullet-point format.

* Has football hooliganism ever gone away? Nope, but as someone commented on 5Live this evening, it has more mutated into something less definable than the (relatively) clear-cut days of the 70s and 80s;
* Excusable? Nope, the behaviour of some of our fans in the days and hours leading up to the Russia game was utterly disgraceful;
* But? Without condoning any of the above, most of the trouble caused actually at the ground was undoubtedly caused solely by Russian thugs;
* Widespread? Nope, by 'some of our fans' I mean a tiny minority of the tens of thousands of right-minded, decent, respectful England supporters over in France;
* Culprits? Sad 40+ shaven-headed beer bellies living on memory, or even sadder lowlife teenage wannabees - go Google "EDL" and you'll see both in profusion;
* England come home? Definitely not, there is no way that the actions of these lowlifes should ruin it for everyone else, just get their photos, track them down, and ban them for life at a pace to suit;
* England sent home? Well it's possible, but I suspect unlikely - however, bizarrely, the threat of that happening is sort of a green light to neanderthals from other countries to have a go just to try and have us forced out of the competition - and needless to say the key demographic identified above are too stupid to not facilitate that process;
* Russia? As with England, they have a big hooligan problem, and I would suggest bigger than ours these days - the crucial difference (I see) is that whilst we're dealing with boorish xenophobic ignorant tvvats, their breed is a somewhat harder, much more focused brand, who actually only care about the fighting (and saw the opportunity to test their prowess against the home of football hooliganism - the social media feedback appears to suggest they were not impressed, and gave our 'top boys' a bit of a kicking - an opinion sadly supported by some in positions of considerable authority in Russia);
* Fall-out? A very sad series of events that brings shame on the English team, including everyone connected with the squad, and our fantastically passionate supporters, both over in France and throughout the world;
* 2018 World Cup? Whether you think they should or not, Russia won't lose the competition, but like my own personal concerns regarding choosing South Africa for 2010, anyone that travels in support (assuming we qualify) should do so with their eyes wide open...and preferably with one of those eyes in the back of their heads.

Wise words Wessex.

Just seen on the news two Russia fans being arrested in Lille for throwing chairs at other people. No clue as to who the targets may follow. I doubt this will be the last we hear on the subject.

Russia 2018 (n/t) on 12:21 - Jun 15 with 766 viewsTheOldOakTree

[Post edited 27 Jun 2016 18:49]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024