Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Football League Trophy 17:49 - Jun 10 with 5029 viewsFruitbat

16 Cat A academy sides from the Premier League to play in the FLT next season.

A devalued competition just got devalued a bit more.
Football League Trophy (n/t) on 17:55 - Jun 10 with 3856 viewsTheOldOakTree

[Post edited 27 Jun 2016 18:52]
Football League Trophy on 18:42 - Jun 10 with 3850 viewsFruitbat

Even better, there's now a group stage so we have to play three times in the first round before getting knocked out.

What moron came up with this?
Football League Trophy (n/t) on 07:11 - Jun 11 with 3823 viewsTheOldOakTree

Football League Trophy on 18:42 - Jun 10 by Fruitbat

Even better, there's now a group stage so we have to play three times in the first round before getting knocked out.

What moron came up with this?

[Post edited 27 Jun 2016 18:52]
Football League Trophy on 09:35 - Jun 12 with 3782 viewsbwildered

At present a one season trail , details still to be finalized in the next two weeks .
The idea is to bring home grown players through, do not the best players get in the first teams anyway ? Does this mean the loan system is not working at present ?
Could possibly see two PL sides in another Wembly final , yawn yawn .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Football League Trophy on 10:54 - Jun 12 with 3771 viewsmfb_cufc

There are no emergency loans next season, so they have to find a way to let these players get experience against league opposition, and this is the way to do it. All they are doing is making what is a pointless competition even more pointless.

mfb

Football League Trophy on 06:53 - Jun 13 with 3721 viewswessex_exile

Football League Trophy on 10:54 - Jun 12 by mfb_cufc

There are no emergency loans next season, so they have to find a way to let these players get experience against league opposition, and this is the way to do it. All they are doing is making what is a pointless competition even more pointless.

...whilst dumping more matches on the Football League, and taking a big step towards PL reserve sides competing in the Football League. Terrible idea!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Football League Trophy on 11:25 - Jun 13 with 3705 viewswessex_exile

Football League Trophy on 06:53 - Jun 13 by wessex_exile

...whilst dumping more matches on the Football League, and taking a big step towards PL reserve sides competing in the Football League. Terrible idea!

There's an online petition against this decision, which is only a few hundred signatures short of 5,000 already.

Link below:

https://www.change.org/p/the-head-of-the-efl-abandon-the-2016-17-efl-trophy-prop

Up the U's

Football League Trophy on 17:24 - Jun 14 with 3668 viewsbwildered

The U's voted in favour of the new formatted competition, stating that PL U21 club supporters get the chance to visit WHCS . Perhaps 10k windfall per win was a major factor !

Login to get fewer ads

Football League Trophy on 17:31 - Jun 14 with 3665 viewsFruitbat

Football League Trophy on 17:24 - Jun 14 by bwildered

The U's voted in favour of the new formatted competition, stating that PL U21 club supporters get the chance to visit WHCS . Perhaps 10k windfall per win was a major factor !

We'd need to win the game first.
Football League Trophy on 17:36 - Jun 14 with 3656 viewsLeadbelly

Football League Trophy on 17:24 - Jun 14 by bwildered

Out of interest, how many PL club U21 supporters can we reasonably expect to travel to WHCS? Wouldn't have thought it was a massive draw but I may be wrong.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Football League Trophy on 18:40 - Jun 14 with 3654 viewsFruitbat

Football League Trophy on 17:36 - Jun 14 by Leadbelly

Out of interest, how many PL club U21 supporters can we reasonably expect to travel to WHCS? Wouldn't have thought it was a massive draw but I may be wrong.

Or, for example, how many will turn up at The Emirates to watch Col U on a Tuesday night when the first team are playing in the Champions League the next day, 1000 people rattling around a 60,000 seat stadium. Unless the PL sides plan to play at their training grounds.
Football League Trophy on 19:04 - Jun 14 with 3645 viewsbwildered

PL U21 to play at first team grounds, but all gate receipts to be evenly distributed amongst all teams .

Football League Trophy on 16:29 - Jul 8 with 3462 viewsFruitbat

Fortunately, the idea already appears to be gong pear shaped.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jul/08/new-efl-trophy-premier-league-a
Football League Trophy on 20:37 - Jul 8 with 3427 viewsLeadbelly

Football League Trophy on 16:29 - Jul 8 by Fruitbat

Fortunately, the idea already appears to be gong pear shaped.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jul/08/new-efl-trophy-premier-league-a

I shall not be attending any games under the new format, assuming this is what happens. If PL clubs want their youngsters to gain experience then loan them to lower league clubs.

I've been waiting for someone to justify the changes to the JPT as a good way to bring through talented youngsters for PL clubs and ultimately to strengthen the England team. After the abject performance against Iceland I would advocate withdrawing from international football altogether. We are clearly not up to it and the pain of watching England fail does not justify the emotional investment required on my part .

Football League Trophy on 18:51 - Jul 27 with 3268 viewsLeadbelly

Draw made and we have Charlton, Crawley and Southampton in our group. Following a thorough investigation I have found I couldn't be less interested.

Football League Trophy on 19:07 - Jul 27 with 3265 viewswessex_exile

Football League Trophy on 18:51 - Jul 27 by Leadbelly

Draw made and we have Charlton, Crawley and Southampton in our group. Following a thorough investigation I have found I couldn't be less interested.

Weird coincidence - I literally just e-mailed a mate who supports Southampton to see if he fancied the U's at Pompey as a day out with beer. On reflection, he may prefer being at opposite ends of the ground for our tinpoint trophy match...

Up the U's

Football League Trophy on 19:13 - Jul 27 with 3263 viewsFruitbat

I wonder what sort of map they used to determine the north/south split? Cheltenham are in the northern half as are Cambridge whereas Peterborough (which , last time I went there, was someway north of Cambridge) is in the south. Just about sums up the idiotic nature of the competition.
Football League Trophy on 10:08 - Jul 29 with 3190 viewsLeadbelly

Football League Trophy on 19:13 - Jul 27 by Fruitbat

I wonder what sort of map they used to determine the north/south split? Cheltenham are in the northern half as are Cambridge whereas Peterborough (which , last time I went there, was someway north of Cambridge) is in the south. Just about sums up the idiotic nature of the competition.

And West Brom south, Coventry north. My map must be upside down.

Had a beer last night with a Charlton ST holder. It would appear he and all his friends are as unexcited as we are about this competition.

Football League Trophy on 17:11 - Aug 2 with 3126 viewsbwildered

Not having seen the full fixture list & a promise that PL sides play some games at home stadiums , wonder how many PL v D2 games are being played in the group stage ?

Football League Trophy on 13:21 - Oct 4 with 2894 viewsLeadbelly

First home fixture in the Crackpot Trophy tonight. Anyone planning to attend?

Football League Trophy on 16:31 - Oct 4 with 2880 viewsFruitbat

Football League Trophy on 13:21 - Oct 4 by Leadbelly

First home fixture in the Crackpot Trophy tonight. Anyone planning to attend?

Nope.
Football League Trophy on 16:36 - Oct 4 with 2879 viewsbwildered

Curiosity value, and local, will part with tenner and attend .

Football League Trophy on 19:28 - Oct 4 with 2852 viewswessex_exile

Football League Trophy on 16:36 - Oct 4 by bwildered

Curiosity value, and local, will part with tenner and attend .

Whilst the competition is a devalued crock'o'shite, and defeat at Crawley makes qualification from our group an uphill struggle, it would be nice to record a decent victory to get some confidence back in the squad.

...I'm not holding my breath though.

Up the U's

Football League Trophy on 19:53 - Oct 4 with 2845 viewswessex_exile

Football League Trophy on 19:28 - Oct 4 by wessex_exile

Whilst the competition is a devalued crock'o'shite, and defeat at Crawley makes qualification from our group an uphill struggle, it would be nice to record a decent victory to get some confidence back in the squad.

...I'm not holding my breath though.

"...I'm not holding my breath though."

To be fair, I could have almost done so by the time it took for Saints to go 1-0 up.

Up the U's

Football League Trophy on 20:13 - Oct 4 with 2841 viewswessex_exile

Football League Trophy on 19:53 - Oct 4 by wessex_exile

"...I'm not holding my breath though."

To be fair, I could have almost done so by the time it took for Saints to go 1-0 up.

U's equalise through Dion Sembie-Ferris!

Up the U's

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024