Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's v Aston Villa at the WHCS and on the box! 13:17 - Aug 9 with 1054 viewsdurham_exile

After Saturday’s considerable disappointment JM is able to pit his youthful side against one of the fancied Championship sides in Aston Villa at the WHCS in the first Round of the Carabao Cup.

I went to the Quarter Final Tie at Layer Road in 1974 when we narrowly lost 2-1 to a very good Villa team. Tonight, will be equally tough, but Steve, Bruce if he is honest, is more concerned about challenging for a promotion spot than thinking of winning the league Cup.

First a word about last Saturday. I do not intend to repeat my post-match thoughts but I do feel that a comment is due after the Chairman’s “Great Expectations” piece on the official club site.

He considered the club’s aims as opposed to their expectations. The reality is that Colchester’s playing budget in financial terms is 78th out of the 92 league clubs and that we are averaging a finishing position of 56th out of the 92 sides. However, we are actually averaging a finishing position of 56th out of 72 EFL clubs in League Two.

Let us stop all this punching above our weight nonsense and thinking that the fans have unreasonable expectation of success. We are entitled to our views and after 46 years of supporting the U’s, I have witnessed every high and every low during that time. Promotions, Relegations, Cup victories, the Conference, the Championship, Layer Road and the WHCS. The fact remains that over the past 8 years we have been declining as a football club. League Two is not acceptable to the fans and neither should it be to the Manager, Directors or Chairman of the Club. There is too much focus on settling for what we have and we desperately need to advance as a club, not continue to stagnate.

A word also on the boo boys, the majority of whom were teenagers and they stood just behind the goal about 5 yards from where I was standing at Accrington. Most of the abuse was banal rubbish and language born out of frustration with the scoreline. I did not witness the personal attacks on JM or his family. Such behaviour however is unacceptable and cannot be condoned by either the club or true supporters.

Football is a results based sport and this boo boy culture sadly is present at every level and manifests itself at the Emirates or Victoria Park equally, the only difference is the number of protagonists. What we have largely eliminated (thank goodness) are the shocking scenes of the 70s and 80s, where fighting and much worse was prevalent inside and outside the grounds before, during and after the game.

Returning to the Super U’s and without wishing to adopt too negative a stance, I think that perhaps Bleak House rather than Great Expectations is a more apposite Dickensian theme for the Chairman’s comments.

Saturday’s shocking performance was perhaps put more sharply into focus last night when Accrington Stanley saw off PNE at the Wham Stadium, with my" favourite" Billy Kee scoring a 93rd minute winner.

Tonight, the players have the chance to restore some much needed faith with an improved performance against Steve Bruce’s Villa. They drew at the weekend against Hull City at Villa Park. Bruce will make changes tonight but they will still be a strong team roared on by 2,000 of their faithful in 7,500 crowd.

They could line up 4,4,1,1 something like this:

Steer

Bree Samba Chester Taylor

Bjarnason Onomah Hourihane Green

Lansbury

Agbonlahor

After the shock of losing Alex Wynter to Maidstone United on the eve of the football season, it was not long before Tom Eastman was injured and I do not expect to see him this evening.

JM will have to reconfigure the side slightly in the light of Eastman’s injury. He has moved quickly to bring in Kyel Reid from Coventry City on loan whilst Dickenson is still out injured. The Coventry trolls have been vitriolic in their criticism of Reid which suggests that he will be a good acquisition for the U’s. At 29 years of age he has plenty of pace and tricks at his disposal and JM should play him this evening on the left wing.

Big Sam Walker did not have one of better games on Saturday (few did) and I wonder whether Rene Gilmartin may deputise this evening for the Cup game. Walker was ever present for all 46 league games last year and I am sure that will be the case this season, but let us see what the new Goalkeeping coach can do this evening.

Assuming that Kent is fit he will play alongside Cameron James with Cole Kpekawa alongside him.

Three in midfield including Jackson suggests Murray and Slater with Szmodics behind Wright, Mandron and Reid up front.

Something like this in a 3,3,1,3 formation:

Gilmartin

Kent James Kpekawa

Jackson Murray Slater

Szmodics

Wright Mandron Reid

Subs:

Walker, Vincent-Young, O’Sullivan, Johnstone, Kinsella, Issa, Lapslie

The weather in the south east and East Anglia is likely to be very wet today and so as a precaution covers have been applied to the playing surface. Durham (the place) has grown accustomed to sunshine and showers or longer outbreaks of rain and so I sympathise if it is torrential rain today in Colchester. Hopefully the evening may see brighter weather so that the scenes at Grimsby last night are not repeated in North Essex.

During the second half on Saturday we moved the ball forward well and Szmodics made all the difference up front with Wright and Mandron. Reid’s pace should create opportunities for the tall Frenchman.

A big crowd, television cameras, interesting pitch and nothing to lose should make for more entertaining fare than that served up at the Wham stadium on Saturday.

Enjoy the game and let’s see if the Super U’s can be the Villains of the piece tonight.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Super U's v Aston Villa at the WHCS and on the box! on 16:29 - Aug 9 with 1014 viewsthrillseeker

A great preview

However for the 2nd time in 2 previews you have omitted McGreal's favourite , Marmite Lapslie from the starting XI

I cannot see McGreal ever omitting Marmite from the starting XI
Super U's v Aston Villa at the WHCS and on the box! on 16:44 - Aug 9 with 1006 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's v Aston Villa at the WHCS and on the box! on 16:29 - Aug 9 by thrillseeker

A great preview

However for the 2nd time in 2 previews you have omitted McGreal's favourite , Marmite Lapslie from the starting XI

I cannot see McGreal ever omitting Marmite from the starting XI

Thrillseeker I don't disagree with you but JM has a problem selecting his best XI at present and if he continually picks Marmite, who does he leave out?

When Dickenson, Guthrie and Prosser are back the selection will be slightly easier, MOTM tonight could well be the new winger Kyle Reid with a debutant goal as well!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's v Aston Villa at the WHCS and on the box! on 19:56 - Aug 9 with 968 viewsgerry_us

Started well, goalkeeper error 0-1
U's missed penalty...still 0-1
Now an own goal 0-2
Oh joy!
[Post edited 9 Aug 2017 20:04]
Super U's v Aston Villa at the WHCS and on the box! on 19:56 - Aug 9 with 968 viewsdurham_exile

Disastrous start Walker mistake and Mandron missed penalty.

It's going to be a long season.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's v Aston Villa at the WHCS and on the box! on 20:08 - Aug 9 with 957 viewsgerry_us

We need a Grimsby downpour.
Super U's v Aston Villa at the WHCS and on the box! on 20:21 - Aug 9 with 953 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's v Aston Villa at the WHCS and on the box! on 20:08 - Aug 9 by gerry_us

We need a Grimsby downpour.

Hi Gerry once again we are very lightweight up front.

Conditions are very poor.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's v Aston Villa at the WHCS and on the box! on 20:25 - Aug 9 with 952 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's v Aston Villa at the WHCS and on the box! on 20:21 - Aug 9 by durham_exile

Hi Gerry once again we are very lightweight up front.

Conditions are very poor.

Up the U's

Frankie Kent

Durham_exile

Super U's v Aston Villa at the WHCS and on the box! on 20:33 - Aug 9 with 945 viewsgerry_us

Super U's v Aston Villa at the WHCS and on the box! on 20:25 - Aug 9 by durham_exile

Frankie Kent

@ both ends...
Login to get fewer ads

Super U's v Aston Villa at the WHCS and on the box! on 20:34 - Aug 9 with 945 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's v Aston Villa at the WHCS and on the box! on 20:25 - Aug 9 by durham_exile

Frankie Kent

Plenty to play for in the second half.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's v Aston Villa at the WHCS and on the box! on 20:35 - Aug 9 with 943 viewsgerry_us

Super U's v Aston Villa at the WHCS and on the box! on 20:34 - Aug 9 by durham_exile

Plenty to play for in the second half.

Up the U's

...and Porter is taking the pi** again for Crewe.
Super U's v Aston Villa at the WHCS and on the box! on 20:54 - Aug 9 with 934 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's v Aston Villa at the WHCS and on the box! on 20:35 - Aug 9 by gerry_us

...and Porter is taking the pi** again for Crewe.

Exactly

Durham_exile

Super U's v Aston Villa at the WHCS and on the box! on 21:11 - Aug 9 with 929 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's v Aston Villa at the WHCS and on the box! on 20:54 - Aug 9 by durham_exile

Exactly

Reid has played very well.

We are still struggling in the striker department.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's v Aston Villa at the WHCS and on the box! on 21:25 - Aug 9 with 923 viewsgerry_us

Super U's v Aston Villa at the WHCS and on the box! on 21:11 - Aug 9 by durham_exile

Reid has played very well.

We are still struggling in the striker department.

Up the U's

About time for Bonne....Oh no!
Super U's v Aston Villa at the WHCS and on the box! on 21:27 - Aug 9 with 922 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's v Aston Villa at the WHCS and on the box! on 21:25 - Aug 9 by gerry_us

About time for Bonne....Oh no!

Keepersaved well from Szmodics

Durham_exile

Super U's v Aston Villa at the WHCS and on the box! on 21:37 - Aug 9 with 914 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's v Aston Villa at the WHCS and on the box! on 21:27 - Aug 9 by durham_exile

Keepersaved well from Szmodics

Well we gave it a go but an own goal, mistake from big Sam and a missed penalty have cost us

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's v Aston Villa at the WHCS and on the box! on 21:39 - Aug 9 with 910 viewsgerry_us

Super U's v Aston Villa at the WHCS and on the box! on 21:37 - Aug 9 by durham_exile

Well we gave it a go but an own goal, mistake from big Sam and a missed penalty have cost us

Up the U's

Concentrating on the league Peter
Super U's v Aston Villa at the WHCS and on the box! on 21:40 - Aug 9 with 908 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's v Aston Villa at the WHCS and on the box! on 21:37 - Aug 9 by durham_exile

Up the U's

Attendance 6,603

Plenty of credit to the groundsmanand staff.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's v Aston Villa at the WHCS and on the box! on 21:47 - Aug 9 with 904 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's v Aston Villa at the WHCS and on the box! on 21:40 - Aug 9 by durham_exile

Attendance 6,603

Plenty of credit to the groundsmanand staff.

Up the U's

The bread and butter of the league. Stevenage is now a must win on Saturday.

Up the U's

On the credit side, Murray was good again, Szmodics but Mandron and Johnstone are struggling even at this level.

Durham_exile

Super U's v Aston Villa at the WHCS and on the box! on 22:55 - Aug 9 with 871 viewsLeadbelly

All over the shop early doors but after going two down I thought we did OK. Reid looked good and will cause problems in League 2. Long ball up to Mandron didn't work tonight and will be meat and drink to L2 centre halves unless he decides he wants to mix it. I suspect he doesn't.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Super U's v Aston Villa at the WHCS and on the box! on 08:52 - Aug 10 with 806 viewsbwildered

Unfortunately until Reid settles in no quality being provided from the byline, which puts pressure on the centre forward ( Porter was lucky that Dickenson put ball on a plate ) with both Mandron and Johnstone lacking the composure in the box to deliver
Not convinced that both Johnstone and Mandron will between them score dozen goals this season ( now inc pens ).
[Post edited 10 Aug 2017 12:25]

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024