Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Spireites to be toppled by the Super U's on Saturday 21:13 - Dec 27 with 1217 viewsdurham_exile

On Saturday JM and his charges face their most difficult challenge of the season and with no disrespect to the Spireites I am not referring to Chesterfield or their ground but the fact that I will be attending another game with my unenviable record, that of failing to see the Super U’s win for the last three seasons.

Now admittedly that is predominantly at Away matches, but it is a shocking and appalling statistic over more than 20 games during that period. This also includes televised games!!!

There have been some drubbings during that abysmal record (Burton, Wigan, Exeter etc) and some close games where we have been leading only to concede 88th or 89th minute penalties (at Morecambe and Grimsby respectively).

I have however made the decision to attend on Saturday to get the monkey off my back so to speak.

The U’s are currently on an impressive run of only 2 defeats in 16 games and, so you could argue there is no better opportunity to watch them than at lowly Chesterfield, who themselves were defeated 2-0 by Crewe on Boxing Day to leave them 23rd in the table.

Unfortunately I am worried that I am becoming a jinx to the club and have consequently been avoiding, individual magpies, any form of ladders, black cats and any other potential banana skins. It may seem trivial, but it is a real concern to me now especially as I have pencilled in another 9 away games to watch this season (all with asterisks against them in the following table) and that doesn’t include at least two home matches, yet to be chosen.

Anyway, enough of this madness, more of Colchester who are playing some sparkling football at present and in Szmodics and Mandron they have two inform strikers plus JM has fashioned an almost leakproof defence playing either 3 or 4 at the back depending on circumstances.

22 games to play for the opportunity to gain promotion back to League One.

HOME AWAY
Cambridge Chesterfield*
Cheltenham Wycombe
Grimsby Port Vale*
Newport Carlisle*
Coventry Crewe*
Barnet Morecambe*
Yeovil Mansfield*
Luton Stevenage
Accrington Forest Green*
Notts Co Lincoln*
Swindon Exeter*

In stark contrast Jack Lester has real injury problems at Chesterfield and had to play an unfamiliar back three against Crewe which he is unlikely to repeat against Colchester where he will revert to a back four, but the fact remains that they have serious injury worries.

Chesterfield are looking for a reaction after recent defeats. Something of course that JM knows all about with his injury woes which although easing are still real with Dickenson, Prosser and others still weeks away from a return. Doug Loft is closer to a return, but Saturday may be too soon.

The good news is that Kurtis Guthrie saw another few minutes game time and will be pushing for a start, perhaps against Cambridge on New Year’s Day.

The squad though are strong and resilient, and JM is using them effectively to fashion some excellent results. JM has also suggested that he is looking to strengthen the team in January especially now that Kabamba and Odelusi will have both moved on by then.

Hanlan, Comley and Reid could have their loan periods extended, whilst Ryan Inniss is scheduled to stay until the end of the season.

Therefore, JM may look to maintain an unchanged starting XI at the Proact Stadium:

Walker

Jackson Eastman Kent Vincent-Young

Comley Lapslie Reid

Wright Mandron Szmodics

Subs:
Gilmartin Kpekawa Inniss Slater Murray Guthrie Hanlan

It may be that certain players are concealing knocks, Kane Vincent-Young possibly one of those but JM does have cover. The aim on Saturday would be to give Murray, Guthrie and perhaps Inniss some game time.

Crawley made six changes for the Boxing Day clash with the U’s, JM is eminently sensible to keep a settled team and squad where possible, understanding the need for fresh legs at the appropriate time.

What is frustrating for me is the sudden interest in Sammie Szmodics which has largely been generated by JM talking about offers and interest in “one of our own”. He is having a great season after some earlier long-term season threatening injuries and whilst I welcome the goals and his contribution to the team, we must stop giving our best players away or talking them away.

There doesn’t seem to be the same interest in Luton Town prolific marksmen and they are top of the league for goodness sake. Even Oliver Watkins, Exeter’s best player by far last season only went to Brentford (no disrespect to them!). Let us hope that the Ipswich scum keep their lascivious eyes off our Sammie.

It is a real pleasure to examine the top places in the league:

Luton 24 51
Notts County 24 47
Lincoln 24 40
Wycombe 24 40
COL U 24 39
Exeter 23 39
Coventry 24 38
Mansfield 24 37
Accrington 23 37

The weather at Chesterfield on Saturday is scheduled to be 6 degrees Celsius and cloudy with a 30% chance of precipitation. After a decent turn out at Crawley from the faithful (375) we can expect a similar number in Derbyshire at the weekend. Including Gerry, Wessex et al.

I will be suffering a severe bout of PMT (pre-match tension) ahead of Saturday but once the victory has been achieved I can look forward to more winning games and that unwelcome record will be well and truly consigned to the history books.

Have a safe journey on Saturday, enjoy the game and another three promotion seeking points for the Super U’s

Failure is not an option.

A Very Happy New Year to you all.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Spireites to be toppled by the Super U's on Saturday on 17:41 - Dec 29 with 1120 viewsdurham_exile

Weather update for Chesterfield

3pm Saturday - 8 degrees Celsius, Cloudy, 10% chance of rain

Excitement building - Up the U's

We have snow in Durham today but it is thawing

Durham_exile

Spireites to be toppled by the Super U's on Saturday on 22:51 - Dec 30 with 1030 viewswessex_exile

Just home chaps, following a minor rail snafu at Cheltenham (requiring a re-route to Brizzle and a later train). Great to see you Gerry and Durham, and indeed you too Noah all too briefly on the way out.

They say you win some and you lose some - my take is we could have done either today, and no one should have been surprised. Disappointed we didn't take our few good chances to win it, but relieved that Chesterfield did likewise.

If you'd offered me in August level on points on the very edge of the play-offs at the end of 2017, I'd probably have taken it, so all to play for in 2018.

Happy New Year everyone!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Spireites to be toppled by the Super U's on Saturday on 23:32 - Dec 30 with 1018 viewsgerry_us

Spireites to be toppled by the Super U's on Saturday on 22:51 - Dec 30 by wessex_exile

Just home chaps, following a minor rail snafu at Cheltenham (requiring a re-route to Brizzle and a later train). Great to see you Gerry and Durham, and indeed you too Noah all too briefly on the way out.

They say you win some and you lose some - my take is we could have done either today, and no one should have been surprised. Disappointed we didn't take our few good chances to win it, but relieved that Chesterfield did likewise.

If you'd offered me in August level on points on the very edge of the play-offs at the end of 2017, I'd probably have taken it, so all to play for in 2018.

Happy New Year everyone!

Your did say it was a circuitous route home Wessex. Just glad you got home before Sunday.
Good to see you all. Now await Durham's take on the game which is always worth a read.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024