Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
2017/18 League 2 - the remaining matches that matter! 15:48 - Apr 4 with 894 viewsdurham_exile

League Two Promotion Candidates Remaining Fixtures as at 4th April:

Accrington Stanley 39 80

COL U Saturday April 7th Away
Exeter Saturday April 14th Home
Yeovil Tuesday April 17th Home
Wycombe Saturday April 21st Away
Newport Tuesday April 24th Away
Lincoln Saturday April 28th Home
Swindon Saturday May 5th Away

Luton 41 77

Yeovil Saturday April 7th Away
Crewe Saturday April 14th Home
Carlisle Saturday April 21st Away
FGR Saturday April 28th Home
Notts Co Saturday May 5th Away

Wycombe 41 74

Yeovil Saturday April 14th Away
Lincoln Tuesday April 17th Away
Accrington Saturday April 21st Home
Chesterfield Saturday April 28th Away
Stevenage Saturday May 5th Home

Exeter 40 69

Cambridge Saturday April 7th Away
Accrington Saturday April 14th Away
Chesterfield Tuesday April 17th Home
Crawley Saturday April 21st Home
Stevenage Saturday April 28th Away
COL U Saturday May 5th Home

Notts Co 41 67

Coventry Saturday April 7th Home
COL U Saturday April 14th Away
Yeovil Saturday April 21st Home
Grimsby Saturday April 28th Away
Luton Saturday May 5th Home

Lincoln City 40 67

Shrewsbury Checkatrade Final Wembley Sunday April 8th
Port Vale Saturday April 14th Away
Wycombe Tuesday April 17th Home
COL U Saturday April 21st Home
Coventry Tuesday April 24th Away
Accrington Saturday April 28th Away
Yeovil Saturday May 5th Home

Coventry 40 65

Notts Co Saturday April 7th Away
Crawley Saturday April14th Away
Stevenage Friday April 20th Home
Lincoln Tuesday April 24th Home
Cheltenham Saturday April 28th Away
Morecambe Saturday May 5th Home

Mansfield 40 63

Crewe Saturday April 7th Home
Stevenage Tuesday April 10th Away
Chesterfield Saturday April 14th Away
Port Vale Saturday April 21st Home
Yeovil Saturday April 28th Away
Crawley Saturday May 5th Home

Swindon 40 62

Carlisle Saturday April 7th Home
Yeovil Tuesday April 10th Home
Newport Saturday April 14th Away
Grimsby Saturday April 21st Home
COL U Saturday April 28th Away
Accrington Saturday May 5th Home

COL U 41 61

Cup finals shown below!

Carlisle 41 60

Swindon Saturday April 7th Away
Morecambe Saturday April 14th Away
Luton Saturday April 21st Home
Port Vale Saturday April 28th Away
Newport Saturday May 5th Home

Colchester supporters know that we are only aiming to catch the 7th placed team, which is likely to be one from Notts Co, Lincoln, Coventry or Exeter.

Colchester will usurp Notts Co for the seventh spot.

Accrington, Luton and Wycombe have secured the three automatic places with Mansfield, Swindon and Carlisle likely to fall away from contention altogether.

If we can keep this great unbeaten and winning run going then we can reach 76 points which will be enough for 7th place.

5 Cup finals:

Accrington H
Notts Co H
Lincoln A
Swindon H
Exeter A

Plenty to think about, but we do have momentum.

Keep the faith, we can do this.

Up the Super U’s

[Post edited 4 Apr 2018 15:49]

Durham_exile

2017/18 League 2 - the remaining matches that matter! on 18:11 - Apr 4 with 865 viewsthrillseeker

Durham - I love your optimism

Although I am enjoying our recent upturn in form I do worry this is provides a false dawn now and for next season

We have some major issues that need resolving
2017/18 League 2 - the remaining matches that matter! on 19:03 - Apr 4 with 860 viewsdurham_exile

2017/18 League 2 - the remaining matches that matter! on 18:11 - Apr 4 by thrillseeker

Although I am enjoying our recent upturn in form I do worry this is provides a false dawn now and for next season

TS - no one believes that everything in the garden is rosy (not even me!!!) but if we can reach the Play Offs then anything is possible and should we manage to achieve Promotion (very similar to what Blackpool did last season) then we stand a better chance of securing the services of our better players (most of whom are out of contract).

Additionally we might secure some stronger signings in the new window.

JM admitted that during the last window three targets went to other clubs because they were in League One.

Of course if we do fail at the final hurdle, then providing we give these last five games a real go, most supporters will at least be able to say that we tried to turn the season around and though disappointed will applaud the team's efforts.

After all up until Christmas the prospect of Automatic Promotion was on the cards, but a horrific slump in form in January and February put paid to that aim.

Recently the team has begun to show real belief - returning Ben Stevenson to the team has transformed the side, the imperious form of Prosser and Eastman and the commitment most recently from Wright and Szmodics has helped the upward turn in form. Kane Vincent-Young also has a bright future in the game.

Mikael Mandron has also emerged as a very useful member of the side. His confidence levels are much greater and he looks like a striker, if only he could convert some more chances the one on Saturday when he outpaced the defenders only to strike the ball some 5 yards wide when well placed was a case in point.

The team are also playing without fear at last. After the magical 50 points safe from relegation target was reached JM has at last been able to play a more settled side and the excellent contribution from Comley, Senior and a cameo from Shodipo at the weekend suggest that there is real belief coursing through the veins.

And I haven't even begun to mention Ben Stevenson's outstanding contribution. The lad is a phenomenon and will light up Wolves midfield next season unless of course we are in League One and they decide to loan him to us for the season!!!!

I have been one of Humes detractors, but the decision to arrange for him to come on loan to us was inspired. I would imagine Coventry are kicking themselves that they failed to negotiate a similar arrangement. The closest comparison would be MK Dons and Dele Ali after Spurs signed him.

The acid test is this weekend with the form team in the League coming to Fortress Weston. Another three points and I am sure we will win the remaining games.

Keep the faith.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

2017/18 League 2 - the remaining matches that matter! on 21:57 - Apr 4 with 836 viewswessex_exile

2017/18 League 2 - the remaining matches that matter! on 19:03 - Apr 4 by durham_exile

TS - no one believes that everything in the garden is rosy (not even me!!!) but if we can reach the Play Offs then anything is possible and should we manage to achieve Promotion (very similar to what Blackpool did last season) then we stand a better chance of securing the services of our better players (most of whom are out of contract).

Additionally we might secure some stronger signings in the new window.

JM admitted that during the last window three targets went to other clubs because they were in League One.

Of course if we do fail at the final hurdle, then providing we give these last five games a real go, most supporters will at least be able to say that we tried to turn the season around and though disappointed will applaud the team's efforts.

After all up until Christmas the prospect of Automatic Promotion was on the cards, but a horrific slump in form in January and February put paid to that aim.

Recently the team has begun to show real belief - returning Ben Stevenson to the team has transformed the side, the imperious form of Prosser and Eastman and the commitment most recently from Wright and Szmodics has helped the upward turn in form. Kane Vincent-Young also has a bright future in the game.

Mikael Mandron has also emerged as a very useful member of the side. His confidence levels are much greater and he looks like a striker, if only he could convert some more chances the one on Saturday when he outpaced the defenders only to strike the ball some 5 yards wide when well placed was a case in point.

The team are also playing without fear at last. After the magical 50 points safe from relegation target was reached JM has at last been able to play a more settled side and the excellent contribution from Comley, Senior and a cameo from Shodipo at the weekend suggest that there is real belief coursing through the veins.

And I haven't even begun to mention Ben Stevenson's outstanding contribution. The lad is a phenomenon and will light up Wolves midfield next season unless of course we are in League One and they decide to loan him to us for the season!!!!

I have been one of Humes detractors, but the decision to arrange for him to come on loan to us was inspired. I would imagine Coventry are kicking themselves that they failed to negotiate a similar arrangement. The closest comparison would be MK Dons and Dele Ali after Spurs signed him.

The acid test is this weekend with the form team in the League coming to Fortress Weston. Another three points and I am sure we will win the remaining games.

Keep the faith.

Up the U's

It behoves me to observe Durham that our recent turn of form also coincides with Guthrie being frozen out and then booted out of Col U - might be coincidence, might not?

We still have a mountain to climb, though what better way to set out from base camp but with a game against the champions-elect - bring it on!

Up the U's!!!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

2017/18 League 2 - the remaining matches that matter! on 21:57 - Apr 4 with 835 viewsnoah4x4

2017/18 League 2 - the remaining matches that matter! on 18:11 - Apr 4 by thrillseeker

Major issues.....quite right Thrillseeker....

Like the HGPL where I have more chance of catching you than the U's have of catching seventh place in Division Two....Never say never!

Or am I sounding more like Durham than Durham?
2017/18 League 2 - the remaining matches that matter! on 22:15 - Apr 4 with 826 viewsdurham_exile

2017/18 League 2 - the remaining matches that matter! on 21:57 - Apr 4 by noah4x4

Major issues.....quite right Thrillseeker....

Like the HGPL where I have more chance of catching you than the U's have of catching seventh place in Division Two....Never say never!

Or am I sounding more like Durham than Durham?

Noah that's the spirit.

Momentum is key and we have it in spades.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

2017/18 League 2 - the remaining matches that matter! on 22:26 - Apr 4 with 824 viewsmfb_cufc

I agree Accrington, Luton and Wycombe have secured the automatic places. Even if the don't we can't catch them. I think Exeter and Lincoln look good for the play-offs, so that leaves the sixth and seventh spots to play for. Notts County are very vulnerable. They got off to a flier with 25 points from their first 10 games. But only 42 points from their last 31 games is only mid-table form. Coventry losing to Yeovil was a massive result for us, as they had been on a good run of form, and if they had won that game catching them would have been difficult. With Notts County playing Coventry Saturday more points are going to be dropped there. The lovely Mr Evans has done us a massive favour by leaving Mansfield. While he was there they looked certain for at least a play-off spot, but since he left they have not won in six games. In return Swindon have also slumped since Flitcroft took over at Mansfield, with only one win in six. Mansfield have the easiest run in of all the teams involved, so they can't be totally dismissed. In conclusion if we win all five games we will make the play-offs, but in the immediate future we need to win these two home games coming up, and then reassess the situation. It could be if other results results have gone our way, that drawing one of the last three games, and giving us 74 points, could be enough.

mfb

2017/18 League 2 - the remaining matches that matter! on 09:53 - Apr 5 with 788 viewsHungryStudent

I'm quietly confident that we will reach the 70 point mark. My fear is that with our inferior GD, we will need 72/73 points to get that final spot.

5 games left... 4 wins needed minimum.
2017/18 League 2 - the remaining matches that matter! on 10:15 - Apr 5 with 785 viewsRSCOSWORTH

What are these "major issues" then? I'm not sure things are as bad as many on here make out and we've actually got more points this season than we did at the same stage last season. In fact you have to go back to the 2009-10 season when we were seven points better off at the same stage but still failed to make the Play Offs. People have been going on about improving our defence for a number of seasons and you have to go back to the promotion season of 2005-06 to when we'd actually conceded fewer goals after 41 league matches so surely that's a big tick for McGreal?

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024