Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Silkmen to unravel at the JobServe this weekend 21:11 - Dec 7 with 1492 viewsdurham_exile

JM and his charges entertain the Silkmen managed by Sol Campbell with First Team Coach Mark Kennedy at Fortress JobServe this weekend.

Sol Campbell is following in the footsteps of the “Guvnor” Paul Ince who took over at Moss Rose in similar circumstances with Macclesfield at the bottom of the league in 2006. He led them to safety before moving to the MK Dons.

Make no mistake, tomorrow is not about Campbell or his charges, but all about another three points for the Super U’s ahead of the busy Christmas/New Year period. Macclesfield have won their last two league games and lost narrowly on penalties to Newcastle U21s in the much maligned Checkatrade Trophy in midweek.

By contrast Colchester have not played since the away victory at Forest Green Rovers and will be raring to go tomorrow afternoon.

Incidentally we have played the Silkmen 5 times, including a 4-4 draw at Moss Rose in April 1992 when both teams were in the GM Vauxhall Conference and Macclesfield were managed by Sammy MclIroy. I was there with the other 900 spectators or so that afternoon.

But tomorrow three points are essential for the Super U’s. This week there has been muted press interest in the story that Colchester are interested (with Blackpool and Bradford) in Yeovil Town’s winger Wes McDonald. Given we have Senior and Dickenson, it seems strange that we would be looking for another winger unless JM feels that we could lose one of them in the transfer window. Although interest has once again been resurrected in Sammie Szmodics (perhaps inevitable after a couple of recent goals and impressive performances). Nominated for League Two player of the Month, he was not awarded the accolade, but it will be enough to get him on the radar again.

Frankly though we don’t need such distractions, when we are badly missing Luke Norris and Tom Eastman and Ryan Jackson and Kane Vincent-Young are both doubtful.

If both defenders are fit to play, then JM is likely to field an unchanged team against the Silkmen

Barnes

Jackson Prosser Kent Vincent-Young

Senior Lapslie Pell

Szmodics Mandron Nouble

Subs:

Ross James Wright Comley Gondoh Dickenson Collins

Of the substitutes Aaron Collins (on loan from Wolves) must be the unluckiest player at the club. He played at Notts County (and played well) but was unlucky to slip over when well placed and since then has only been a bit player. JM must deploy him tomorrow for at least 30 second half minutes.

The weather tomorrow in Colchester is likely to be 10 degrees Celsius and mainly cloudy, the pitch will be pristine and although Christmas shopping will be a lure for many of the faithful, the Sol Campbell dimension will be enough to boost numbers, albeit slightly.

League Table:

MK Dons 20 40
Lincoln 19 38
COL U 20 35
Newport 20 35
Bury 20 33
Mansfield 19 32
Exeter 20 31
Tranmere 20 31
Stevenage 20 31
FGR 20 30

The placings remain tight and psychologically we need to go into the intense Christmas period with another three home points. I predict a 3-0 home victory.

Carlisle Away
MK Dons Away
Stevenage Home
Morecambe Home
Crawley Away

Enjoy the game

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Silkmen to unravel at the JobServe this weekend on 22:12 - Dec 7 with 1475 viewsmedicine_man

Thank you for prompting memories of that 4-4 game Durham. An absolutely vital point in the context of the final run in that year. For me, the two Macclesfield games that season are right up there in my away match memories.
Silkmen to unravel at the JobServe this weekend on 09:12 - Dec 8 with 1401 viewsDCPete

League 2 is what it is, but these are great clubs we play around in the top 8.
3 points this weekend great. 1 point fine.

Onward. 1 point or three.
Silkmen to unravel at the JobServe this weekend on 13:48 - Dec 8 with 1381 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Silkmen to unravel at the JobServe this weekend on 09:12 - Dec 8 by DCPete

League 2 is what it is, but these are great clubs we play around in the top 8.
3 points this weekend great. 1 point fine.

Onward. 1 point or three.

You know they’re bottom of the table right?

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Silkmen to unravel at the JobServe this weekend on 14:11 - Dec 8 with 1377 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's unchanged today

But the good news is Norris in on the bench, he has been missed

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Silkmen to unravel at the JobServe this weekend on 14:41 - Dec 8 with 1373 viewsmfb_cufc

I heard last night that Norris had been back into full training this week, so I thought he maybe on the bench. Good news that he is, we have missed him.

One for the statto's. We have not conceded a goal in the first 30 minutes of any League game this season.

mfb

Silkmen to unravel at the JobServe this weekend on 15:30 - Dec 8 with 1369 viewsdurham_exile

Mika Mandron 1-0

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Silkmen to unravel at the JobServe this weekend on 16:55 - Dec 8 with 1358 viewsdurham_exile

Three very important points today.

Good to see Mandron scoring and great to see Luke Norris back.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Silkmen to unravel at the JobServe this weekend on 18:59 - Dec 8 with 1327 viewsburnsieespana

Not a great game but reminded me of a number of games under Parky in our promo season in the Championship.
Mandron deserved his goal and had, I thought a good game.
Login to get fewer ads

Silkmen to unravel at the JobServe this weekend on 19:12 - Dec 8 with 1321 viewsLeadbelly

Game of two halves. Dominant in the first half, complete opposite in the second half. Fortunately Macclesfield were no real threat so we won but a half decent side would have capitalised.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Silkmen to unravel at the JobServe this weekend on 19:34 - Dec 8 with 1309 viewsgerry_us

An ugly win then...I'll take it.
All to often this season we have taken an early lead and gone ultra defensive which we are totally incapable of undertaking. Certainly, from the stats available Macc's had a much improved second half. Would they have achieved that if we had seriously looked for a second or third.
From the comments of those attending we may not have gotten away with the win against a better team.
It's a bit tight at the top so a mistake could drop us several places so next Saturday will be a test of character.
Silkmen to unravel at the JobServe this weekend on 20:52 - Dec 8 with 1287 viewsGOSBTS

Silkmen to unravel at the JobServe this weekend on 19:34 - Dec 8 by gerry_us

An ugly win then...I'll take it.
All to often this season we have taken an early lead and gone ultra defensive which we are totally incapable of undertaking. Certainly, from the stats available Macc's had a much improved second half. Would they have achieved that if we had seriously looked for a second or third.
From the comments of those attending we may not have gotten away with the win against a better team.
It's a bit tight at the top so a mistake could drop us several places so next Saturday will be a test of character.

Echo everyone else's sentiments. First half we were brilliant, Mandron in particular. He made great choices and we played really nice, positive football. I went to the Yeovil game last season and the Exeter one two weeks ago and hadn't thought much of Mandron, so good to see him prove me wrong. Second half, looked like we were sitting on the lead. Very much like watching Brighton these days (Palace result aside).

However, the U's are solid and have a very good shape. We won't get carved open easily. Most important thing is the three points! Good to see McGreal make earlier subs today than the Exeter game.

Up the U's!
Silkmen to unravel at the JobServe this weekend on 21:21 - Dec 8 with 1278 viewsburnsieespana

You are correct about our shape today which was impressive.
Seen our last two home games and we are starting to rack up the points even when not playing at our top level.
So long as we keep free'ish of injuries and suspensions we will not be easy to beat which is a real change.
Silkmen to unravel at the JobServe this weekend on 23:38 - Dec 8 with 1259 viewsnoah4x4

Welcome back Durham. The board is richer for your return. Much respect.

Ugly win, Lapslie, dead on his feet at 93 minutes. But it is the result that counts.
Silkmen to unravel at the JobServe this weekend on 08:42 - Dec 9 with 1234 viewsGOSBTS

Silkmen to unravel at the JobServe this weekend on 23:38 - Dec 8 by noah4x4

Welcome back Durham. The board is richer for your return. Much respect.

Ugly win, Lapslie, dead on his feet at 93 minutes. But it is the result that counts.

I'd wondered who that was on the floor at the full-time whistle. Understandable, he'd put in a great shift, chasing down everything right til the last.
Silkmen to unravel at the JobServe this weekend on 10:30 - Dec 9 with 1219 viewspwrightsknees

Yes. Welcome back Durham. Your posts are always a worthwhile read.
Silkmen to unravel at the JobServe this weekend on 11:25 - Dec 9 with 1211 viewsMoor_Pinot

Again able to use i-follow to watch live from here and whilst it's excruciating to watch all these 1-0 wins [is it four in six games?] and I would far sooner see us attack as earlier in the autumn I cannot deny that despite my own doubts to the contrary Mr McGreal has managed to oversee a new team ability to maintain a slender lead. Indeed, I'd take another at Blundell Pk on Saturday.

If we continue to be tough enough like this and Mandron continues his form against Exeter and yesterday [he has the potential to be a very good player] we may be able to withstand the march of the bigger more experienced sides now seeking to assert themselves in the top 3 [Lincoln, MK, Bury, Mansfield & probably Northampton]. It was terrific to have both Norris and Durham back yesterday.

Up the U's

Moor Pinot

Silkmen to unravel at the JobServe this weekend on 21:59 - Dec 9 with 1165 viewsdurham_exile

I would like to express my sincere thanks for your continued good wishes.

It felt reasonably ok to post this weekend. I now have a decision to make regarding next week's (reasonably short for me) trip to Carlisle.

The Super U's are moving in the right direction and yesterday was a potential banana skin game averted and deservedly so.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Silkmen to unravel at the JobServe this weekend on 11:43 - Dec 10 with 1137 viewsburnsieespana

Silkmen to unravel at the JobServe this weekend on 21:59 - Dec 9 by durham_exile

I would like to express my sincere thanks for your continued good wishes.

It felt reasonably ok to post this weekend. I now have a decision to make regarding next week's (reasonably short for me) trip to Carlisle.

The Super U's are moving in the right direction and yesterday was a potential banana skin game averted and deservedly so.

Up the U's

Durham I am now back home in Spain after managing to see the U's twice and would just like to say, how much respect I have for you in this difficult time and in equal measure how much I missed your posts.
Just take every day as it comes and try not to put to much pressure on yourself.
Silkmen to unravel at the JobServe this weekend on 17:20 - Dec 10 with 1120 viewsdurham_exile

Silkmen to unravel at the JobServe this weekend on 11:43 - Dec 10 by burnsieespana

Durham I am now back home in Spain after managing to see the U's twice and would just like to say, how much respect I have for you in this difficult time and in equal measure how much I missed your posts.
Just take every day as it comes and try not to put to much pressure on yourself.

Many thanks Burnsie, much appreciated.

Durham

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024