Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Robins to have wings clipped by the Super U's at Fortress Job Serve 21:06 - Feb 8 with 1422 viewsdurham_exile

Following their impressive 4-0 victory at Sixfields last weekend, JM will be encouraging his charges to go even better against the Robins, who after the postponement of their game last weekend against Cambridge saw Yeovil off on Tuesday evening with a narrow 1-0 victory. The Cobblers intriguingly also secured victory at Tranmere on Tuesday to upset the home form of the Birkenhead team by 2-1.

Cheltenham manager Michael Duff will be looking to improve his team’s league position with an unlikely win at Fortress Job Serve. JM by contrast is looking for back to back victories to improve the Super U’s league position and to break back into the top seven.

Now last week at Northampton I argued for JM to play all three new signings from the outset. In the event only Ben Stevenson started but both Abo Eisa and Callum Roberts made impressions from the bench.

This week for the home match, JM must look to start all three in an adventurous team. It is not just about the three points but enhancing the goal difference which could prove pivotal in the final analysis this season.

Lincoln 30 60 +24
Mansfield 31 58 +24
Bury 31 54 +22
FGR 30 51 +18
Carlisle 30 51 +13
MK Dons 30 50 +18
Exeter 30 50 +12
COL U 31 49 +14

As I suggested last week, it increasingly looks like any 7 from 8 for the Promotion and Play Off spots.

Our next four games are Cheltenham H, Macclesfield A, Carlisle H and Swindon A. All are certainly winnable. Consistency now is the key to closing the gap on the top three.

JM must decide what to do about his team selection for tomorrow’s key game. Mika Mandron has been training following his tight hamstring last weekend, whilst Courtney Senior has a sore ankle and should not be risked. The good news is that Luke Norris has also been back in training and could be on the bench on Saturday.

Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe has left on loan to Derry City until the end of June.

Rene Gilmartin looks to have the confidence from the manager over Dillon Barnes and the back four looks to be Jackson Kent Prosser and Vincent-Young.

Ben Stevenson and Harry Pell will be the midfield pairing with Abo Eisa (a quality investment as Jeff Stelling opines!) leaving Szmodics, Nouble and Callum Roberts up front.

I do hope that JM is brave and plays all three new signings from the start. It is all about playing the best XI if we are to make up ground on the other teams.

Gilmartin

Jackson Kent Prosser Vincent-Young

Pell Stevenson Eisa

Szmodics Nouble Roberts

Subs:

Barnes Wright Comley Eastman Dickenson Norris Mandron

Colchester weather is set to be a mild 10 degrees with partial cloud and sunny intervals. Certainly, milder than the cooler conditions in Durham which has seen almost monsoon conditions at times today.

Hopefully the faithful will be present in good number for what should be an entertaining game.

Enjoy the game and Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Robins to have wings clipped by the Super U's at Fortress Job Serve on 22:38 - Feb 8 with 1055 viewsLeadbelly

Despite the contributions from the three new signings last week I suspect risk averse JM will pick just one, Stevenson, to start.

Whilst the weather will be mild it is forecast to be very windy with gusts in the region of 40 mph. Let’s hope the wind won’t be the leveller it so often can be.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Robins to have wings clipped by the Super U's at Fortress Job Serve on 23:51 - Feb 8 with 1042 viewswessex_exile

Robins to have wings clipped by the Super U's at Fortress Job Serve on 22:38 - Feb 8 by Leadbelly

Despite the contributions from the three new signings last week I suspect risk averse JM will pick just one, Stevenson, to start.

Whilst the weather will be mild it is forecast to be very windy with gusts in the region of 40 mph. Let’s hope the wind won’t be the leveller it so often can be.

I remember a match at Swindon many years ago, during a howling gale. I’m pretty sure we won (3-0 if memory serves), and the big difference was we played it out from the back, and they kept trying the big hoof. One goal kick from their keeper only just cleared the penalty box when it eventually came back down. Fingers crossed we learnt a lesson that day!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Robins to have wings clipped by the Super U's at Fortress Job Serve on 10:32 - Feb 9 with 1009 viewsbwildered

Remember a game at the Posh , dust was being blown off the Fens , where the U's got a severe hiding in the second half ( it was a game of one half ) . Those who travelled all ventured behind the stand at half time for sanctuary from the prevailing wind.

Let's hope the U's can but the wind up their pants, otherwise things could get messy ( or Messi ) !

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Robins to have wings clipped by the Super U's at Fortress Job Serve on 11:03 - Feb 9 with 1000 viewsgerry_us

"Fortress" Job Serve may be a bit of an optimistic assessment at present Peter but IF we adapt a more positive attitude especially at home games we may genuinely call it a "fortress" in the future.
Robins to have wings clipped by the Super U's at Fortress Job Serve on 11:21 - Feb 9 with 995 viewsnoah4x4

Robins to have wings clipped by the Super U's at Fortress Job Serve on 23:51 - Feb 8 by wessex_exile

I remember a match at Swindon many years ago, during a howling gale. I’m pretty sure we won (3-0 if memory serves), and the big difference was we played it out from the back, and they kept trying the big hoof. One goal kick from their keeper only just cleared the penalty box when it eventually came back down. Fingers crossed we learnt a lesson that day!

I recall doing a match report from that game Wessex.

The highlight for me was the Swindon ball boy on the empty terraces behind the goal to our left. He could not have been wetter if tied to the prow of the Cutty Sark going around the Cape of Good Hope. His reluctance to venture out performed the best time wasting display of all time... in our favour!
Robins to have wings clipped by the Super U's at Fortress Job Serve on 11:38 - Feb 9 with 991 viewsMoor_Pinot

I recall it too, I was there....and of course I remember the report too.

Grand preview Durham, though Gerry's right, it's not much oof a fortress just now, we've not won for more than two months at Cuckoo Farm and in truth the bottom club deserved a point in Sol's first game.
I'd rather see Mandron start with the option of Roberts, although personally I would not have Nouble there. I'm saying that as last week I made the point strongly and he scored so .......... get in there Franck!

Consistency is the only thing that will keep us in with a shout of something this year. We have never had any under this management so I am not hopeful but you never know and a good run is long long overdue.

Hope the 3200 keep their flat hats on in the wind....

Up the U's

Moor Pinot

Robins to have wings clipped by the Super U's at Fortress Job Serve on 12:01 - Feb 9 with 988 viewsLeadbelly

Just returned from walking the dogs. Suffice to say the conditions were bracing! Ball on the deck is the order of the day.

Robins to have wings clipped by the Super U's at Fortress Job Serve on 14:07 - Feb 9 with 978 viewsdurham_exile

Team today

Gilmartin

Pell Stevenson Senior

Szmodics Nouble Eisa

Subs Barnes Eastman Lapslie Dickenson Roberts Norris Mandron

JM almost brave enough but hopefully Roberts will get 45 minutes at least.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Robins to have wings clipped by the Super U's at Fortress Job Serve on 14:12 - Feb 9 with 977 viewsLeadbelly

Robins to have wings clipped by the Super U's at Fortress Job Serve on 14:07 - Feb 9 by durham_exile

Team today

Gilmartin

Pell Stevenson Senior

Szmodics Nouble Eisa

Subs Barnes Eastman Lapslie Dickenson Roberts Norris Mandron

JM almost brave enough but hopefully Roberts will get 45 minutes at least.

Up the U's

Eisa in for Mandron.

Two out of three ain’t bad...

Robins to have wings clipped by the Super U's at Fortress Job Serve on 14:29 - Feb 9 with 970 viewsgerry_us

Robins to have wings clipped by the Super U's at Fortress Job Serve on 14:12 - Feb 9 by Leadbelly

Eisa in for Mandron.

Two out of three ain’t bad...

Better than expected. Let's go...
Robins to have wings clipped by the Super U's at Fortress Job Serve on 15:16 - Feb 9 with 961 viewswessex_exile

Robins to have wings clipped by the Super U's at Fortress Job Serve on 11:21 - Feb 9 by noah4x4

I recall doing a match report from that game Wessex.

The highlight for me was the Swindon ball boy on the empty terraces behind the goal to our left. He could not have been wetter if tied to the prow of the Cutty Sark going around the Cape of Good Hope. His reluctance to venture out performed the best time wasting display of all time... in our favour!

I forgot about the ballboy - I have never seen anyone more dejected in my life!

Harry Pell off with what sounded like a hamstring - bugger!

Up the U's

Robins to have wings clipped by the Super U's at Fortress Job Serve on 15:31 - Feb 9 with 957 viewswessex_exile

KVY puts the U's 1-0 up! Come on the U's!

Up the U's

Robins to have wings clipped by the Super U's at Fortress Job Serve on 15:32 - Feb 9 with 956 viewsdurham_exile

Robins to have wings clipped by the Super U's at Fortress Job Serve on 15:16 - Feb 9 by wessex_exile

I forgot about the ballboy - I have never seen anyone more dejected in my life!

Harry Pell off with what sounded like a hamstring - bugger!

Vincent-young 1-0

Could he perhaps become a striker

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Robins to have wings clipped by the Super U's at Fortress Job Serve on 15:34 - Feb 9 with 955 viewsgerry_us

Robins to have wings clipped by the Super U's at Fortress Job Serve on 15:32 - Feb 9 by durham_exile

Vincent-young 1-0

Could he perhaps become a striker

Up the U's

1-0 not my favourite score. We need another one at least.
Robins to have wings clipped by the Super U's at Fortress Job Serve on 15:44 - Feb 9 with 951 viewsdurham_exile

Robins to have wings clipped by the Super U's at Fortress Job Serve on 15:34 - Feb 9 by gerry_us

1-0 not my favourite score. We need another one at least.

Big Frank obliges

Durham_exile

Robins to have wings clipped by the Super U's at Fortress Job Serve on 15:46 - Feb 9 with 949 viewsgerry_us

That's better. Nouble 2-0.
Attacking football called for in the second half. Our goal difference can do with improving. Take the opportunity guys.
Robins to have wings clipped by the Super U's at Fortress Job Serve on 15:46 - Feb 9 with 949 viewsdurham_exile

Lincoln one up against Northampton but down to ten men.
Come on the Cobblers

Durham_exile

Robins to have wings clipped by the Super U's at Fortress Job Serve on 16:00 - Feb 9 with 940 viewsMoor_Pinot

Watching live from here on i-follow,

We've done okay so far against confident opposition in difficult wind which neither side has coped well with.

New policies - 1] Nouble playimg as lone striker - has looked ill at ease with the role but scored a splendid power goal. Great. 2] We are shooting on sight and from distance. This is new and better. Eisa unlucky twice - very.

As usual our two wing backs are effective and Vincent-Young's goal a beauty. Stevenson is high quality and brings more from Sammie.
Moans? Only one; Senior utterly dreadful, first touch awful second touch abject. Get him off.

Need to concentrate and a third goal wouldn't be ill deserved or unwelcome.

Moor Pinot

Robins to have wings clipped by the Super U's at Fortress Job Serve on 16:17 - Feb 9 with 932 viewswessex_exile

Robins to have wings clipped by the Super U's at Fortress Job Serve on 16:00 - Feb 9 by Moor_Pinot

We've done okay so far against confident opposition in difficult wind which neither side has coped well with.

New policies - 1] Nouble playimg as lone striker - has looked ill at ease with the role but scored a splendid power goal. Great. 2] We are shooting on sight and from distance. This is new and better. Eisa unlucky twice - very.

As usual our two wing backs are effective and Vincent-Young's goal a beauty. Stevenson is high quality and brings more from Sammie.
Moans? Only one; Senior utterly dreadful, first touch awful second touch abject. Get him off.

Your wish is their command - Eisa gets the third (and his second for the U's), with a splendid assist from Senior.

Up the U's!!!

Up the U's

Robins to have wings clipped by the Super U's at Fortress Job Serve on 16:17 - Feb 9 with 932 viewsdurham_exile

Robins to have wings clipped by the Super U's at Fortress Job Serve on 16:00 - Feb 9 by Moor_Pinot

Eisa - a good investment, you can bank on him etc says Jeff Sterling

I don't want to be greedy but I did predict 5-0

Up the super U's

Durham_exile

Robins to have wings clipped by the Super U's at Fortress Job Serve on 16:18 - Feb 9 with 932 viewsgerry_us

A goal just made for Jeff Stelling but getting boring now.
Eisa 3-0
Robins to have wings clipped by the Super U's at Fortress Job Serve on 16:59 - Feb 9 with 923 viewsMoor_Pinot

I have decided to moan about individual players more often because it works! Truly brilliant skill from Senior for the third.
Dull game thereafter as we allowed the opposition nothing but created less. Professional performance but one felt we could and should have had a fourth!
Main concern the two injuries though Sammie and Mandron looked effective in their stead.
Long way to go but that's two games unbeaten!
Bravo.

Moor Pinot

Robins to have wings clipped by the Super U's at Fortress Job Serve on 17:09 - Feb 9 with 919 viewswessex_exile

Couldn't really have hoped for a better set of results elsewhere - Lincoln draw at home, Mansfield lose 1-0 at Newport, Bury just hold on to win 3-2 at Morcambe, after Morecambe twice pegged back their 3-0 lead, Carlisle and Exeter draw 1-1 (best possible result), Forest Green lose 2-1 at home to Notts County, and MK Dons are beaten 3-2 at home to Swindon.

U's up to 4th - happy days!

Up the U's

Robins to have wings clipped by the Super U's at Fortress Job Serve on 00:02 - Feb 10 with 842 viewsoxfcolu

A quality performance at times in front of a small crowd. It has always been the same over the years unfortunately. Good goals with the ball played on the ground , can't ask for more apart from a bit of consistency. 😁
Robins to have wings clipped by the Super U's at Fortress Job Serve on 10:55 - Feb 10 with 801 viewsbwildered

Can we prolong the two game unbeaten run ?
No problem against a poor Cheltenham side, standard fare, were previously the U's have struggled.
On this result, the U's are quite capable of, at least ,a play off position. Stevenson has raised the dynamics of the team by firstly taken the set pieces and secondly being able to dictate play hence players are now stretching the play, creating more one to one situations and space, which makes the wider players Senior and Eisa particularly more dangerous .
Unsure if U's will be committed to playing a expansive game against fellow promotion candidates whch the run in shows many still to contend.
Still every thing to play for, destiny ( one of the pilots in Captain Scarlet !?!? ) very much in our own hands .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024