Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Exiles to be ostracised at Fortress Jobserve by Super U's 10:09 - Mar 9 with 1033 viewsdurham_exile

JM and his beleaguered charges embark upon two season defining fixtures starting today. First the Exiles under Mike Flynn come to Town and then on Tuesday evening Mark Cooper brings his Green Devils to the Fortress that is the JobServe Community Stadium.

After last night’s results the U’s know that six points are the only requirement from these two home games.

Lincoln 36 72 +28
Bury 36 67 +29
Mansfield 35 64 +25
MK Dons 35 62 +22
Tranmere 36 58 +9
Exeter 35 55 +11
FGR 35 54 +16
COL U 35 54 +14
Carlisle 35 53 +9

Those 11 key fixtures:

Newport H
FGR H

Exeter A
Tranmere H
Cambridge A

Oldham H
Bury A
Grimsby H

Yeovil A
MK Dons H
Lincoln A

The Swindon defeat was every bit as poor as the overall performance, it has breathed fresh life into the Wiltshire team and disturbingly has sown fresh doubts into all but the most ardent U’s fans that we could yet face another season in the basement league (not an appealing thought). It would also see a mass exodus of players and then the need for a rebuild would be a necessary fact.

But we must show belief that the U’s can garner the points required to secure a play off spot as a minimum. Realistically we need another 27 points from those 33 on offer to secure an automatic place, anything less and it is then the lottery of the Play Offs or the unthinkable mid table obscurity.

This then is the task for the U’s starting with the maximum today against Cup giantkillers Newport County. I once saw Colchester demolish County 5-0 at Layer Road in 1977. What the faithful would give today for a similar result.

There is no doubt that the injury to Harry Pell has impacted in a big way on JM’s team. Pell was at times unplayable and we miss his combative style and midfield dominance. Ben Stevenson is an outstanding player and it is unfortunate that his midfield player is not yet fit to play. The reliable but inexperienced Diaz Wright will play alongside Stevenson today.

For years Colchester have had a succession of impressive Goal Keepers from Walker (Mike) to Aidan Davidson there have been some real gems. Rene Gilmartin’s performance last week was woeful and things can only get better today for both him and the team.

JM is missing Pell, Comley and Lapslie, he has other options within the squad, but HP is a huge loss.

So today:

Gilmartin

Jackson Kent Prosser Vincent-Young

Senior Stevenson Wright Dickenson

Szmodics

Norris

Subs:

Barnes Eastman Eisa Roberts Nouble Mandron Gondoh

The Colchester weather today will see gusty winds with a temperature of 11 degrees Celsius and sunny intervals. Having woken up to snow showers in Durham, it is at least now beginning to melt away with some sunshine.

The faithful will be able to judge whether we have the ability to rekindle our promotion hopes after today and Tuesday night.

Failure is not an option.

PS, a handsome home victory is long overdue, perhaps today we can achieve not only three points but also an impressive scoreline.

Enjoy the game

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Exiles to be ostracised at Fortress Jobserve by Super U's on 14:00 - Mar 9 with 683 viewsMoor_Pinot

I'm i-following in hope today Peter.
Can't disagree with most of your team but what I would slightly disagree on is Pell. He was good 'til end November after which he lost form. Since the new year he has given the ball away and fouled unnecessarily [a U's trait led by Nouble & Senior] and been very haphazard with his passing. Like the team he has been inconsistent. I did not miss him overly in the fortunate draw v Carlisle. I like him, but he's not the talisman we had or need just now.
I agree - 6 points. Anything less and I reckon on tenth. Our management have had a better group than for many a year but have not had the experience to get the best from them very often. As I have written before, a damn shame, we ought to be going up with the squad we have.

Moor Pinot

Exiles to be ostracised at Fortress Jobserve by Super U's on 14:11 - Mar 9 with 681 viewsdurham_exile

Exiles to be ostracised at Fortress Jobserve by Super U's on 14:00 - Mar 9 by Moor_Pinot

I'm i-following in hope today Peter.
Can't disagree with most of your team but what I would slightly disagree on is Pell. He was good 'til end November after which he lost form. Since the new year he has given the ball away and fouled unnecessarily [a U's trait led by Nouble & Senior] and been very haphazard with his passing. Like the team he has been inconsistent. I did not miss him overly in the fortunate draw v Carlisle. I like him, but he's not the talisman we had or need just now.
I agree - 6 points. Anything less and I reckon on tenth. Our management have had a better group than for many a year but have not had the experience to get the best from them very often. As I have written before, a damn shame, we ought to be going up with the squad we have.

Pinault a very attack minded team from JM today

Gilmartin

Jackson Kent Eastman Vincent-Young

Senior Stevenson Szmodics

Mandron Norris Nouble

Subs
Barnes Prosser Wright Chilvers Dickenson Roberts Eisa

Only concern I have is the dearth of genuine midfield players but I admire the attacking intent.

Three points here we come

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Exiles to be ostracised at Fortress Jobserve by Super U's on 14:15 - Mar 9 with 679 viewsMoor_Pinot

Have got several fingers crossed! Went to Bourganeuf this morning with a few pictures on display, each time I have had to drive to Bourganeuf Mandron has scored [3 x in all]. Never certain I believe in omens...but

Moor Pinot

Exiles to be ostracised at Fortress Jobserve by Super U's on 14:31 - Mar 9 with 675 viewsdurham_exile

Exiles to be ostracised at Fortress Jobserve by Super U's on 14:15 - Mar 9 by Moor_Pinot

Have got several fingers crossed! Went to Bourganeuf this morning with a few pictures on display, each time I have had to drive to Bourganeuf Mandron has scored [3 x in all]. Never certain I believe in omens...but

I have Mandron to score first

Up the U's

Enjoy the game

Durham_exile

Exiles to be ostracised at Fortress Jobserve by Super U's on 14:49 - Mar 9 with 672 viewswessex_exile

Exiles to be ostracised at Fortress Jobserve by Super U's on 14:31 - Mar 9 by durham_exile

I have Mandron to score first

Up the U's

Enjoy the game

Likewise, though with my current record in the U'sual Prediction League, that might be the kiss of death for that one...

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Exiles to be ostracised at Fortress Jobserve by Super U's on 15:21 - Mar 9 with 666 viewsdurham_exile

Exiles to be ostracised at Fortress Jobserve by Super U's on 14:49 - Mar 9 by wessex_exile

Likewise, though with my current record in the U'sual Prediction League, that might be the kiss of death for that one...

SZMODICS 1-0

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

Exiles to be ostracised at Fortress Jobserve by Super U's on 15:23 - Mar 9 with 664 viewswessex_exile

Exiles to be ostracised at Fortress Jobserve by Super U's on 15:21 - Mar 9 by durham_exile

SZMODICS 1-0

Come on the U's

Quite happy not to get that bonus - come on!!

Up the U's

Exiles to be ostracised at Fortress Jobserve by Super U's on 15:24 - Mar 9 with 664 viewsdurham_exile

Exeter now 2-0 down at Northampton well into the second half 2pm kick off

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Exiles to be ostracised at Fortress Jobserve by Super U's on 15:26 - Mar 9 with 662 viewsdurham_exile

Exiles to be ostracised at Fortress Jobserve by Super U's on 15:24 - Mar 9 by durham_exile

Exeter now 2-0 down at Northampton well into the second half 2pm kick off

Up the U's

Exeter have a goal back 2-1 but Sol's men have the lead against the Franchise.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Exiles to be ostracised at Fortress Jobserve by Super U's on 15:29 - Mar 9 with 661 viewsgerry_us

Exiles to be ostracised at Fortress Jobserve by Super U's on 15:23 - Mar 9 by wessex_exile

Quite happy not to get that bonus - come on!!

Bonus for me...thanks Sammy.
Exiles to be ostracised at Fortress Jobserve by Super U's on 15:48 - Mar 9 with 658 viewsdurham_exile

Exiles to be ostracised at Fortress Jobserve by Super U's on 15:29 - Mar 9 by gerry_us

Bonus for me...thanks Sammy.

We've got Courtney Senior never gives the ball away 2-0

Durham_exile

Exiles to be ostracised at Fortress Jobserve by Super U's on 15:57 - Mar 9 with 653 viewsMoor_Pinot

OK, scrappy mid table game. Correct scoreline. Senior missed a sitter but scored a beauty and is having his best game of season. Mandron excellent and creative. Our wingbacks good. Nouble dreadful again, the goalkeeper keeps kicking into touch and the real Ben Stevenson hasn't turned up for us yet since signing. Newport should have scored after 35 secs, are making fewer errors but don't look composed now they are behind. The pressure must be kept on 2nd half and the quality improved. I would sub Nouble. Lots of fouling so a red card wouldn't surprise.
That's it from your French half time live report!

Moor Pinot

Exiles to be ostracised at Fortress Jobserve by Super U's on 15:59 - Mar 9 with 651 viewsdurham_exile

Exiles to be ostracised at Fortress Jobserve by Super U's on 15:48 - Mar 9 by durham_exile

We've got Courtney Senior never gives the ball away 2-0

Exeter have lost 2-1 against the Cobblers

Durham_exile

Exiles to be ostracised at Fortress Jobserve by Super U's on 16:01 - Mar 9 with 650 viewswessex_exile

Exiles to be ostracised at Fortress Jobserve by Super U's on 15:59 - Mar 9 by durham_exile

Exeter have lost 2-1 against the Cobblers

How often is a load of cobblers a good thing! :-)
[Post edited 9 Mar 2019 16:02]

Up the U's

Exiles to be ostracised at Fortress Jobserve by Super U's on 16:15 - Mar 9 with 635 viewswessex_exile

Port Vale are now 2-0 up against Mansfield, MK Dons 2-1 in front at Macclesfield - keeps the chase for 3rd place open.

Up the U's

Exiles to be ostracised at Fortress Jobserve by Super U's on 16:26 - Mar 9 with 630 viewsdurham_exile

Exiles to be ostracised at Fortress Jobserve by Super U's on 16:15 - Mar 9 by wessex_exile

Port Vale are now 2-0 up against Mansfield, MK Dons 2-1 in front at Macclesfield - keeps the chase for 3rd place open.

Big Frank 3-0

Durham_exile

Exiles to be ostracised at Fortress Jobserve by Super U's on 16:26 - Mar 9 with 630 viewswessex_exile

To be Frank, that's fantastic! 3-0!!!!

Up the U's

Exiles to be ostracised at Fortress Jobserve by Super U's on 16:31 - Mar 9 with 626 viewsgerry_us

We should be most thankful for what we have.
Remember, Notts County were a good bet for promotion!
Exiles to be ostracised at Fortress Jobserve by Super U's on 16:44 - Mar 9 with 622 viewswessex_exile

Exiles to be ostracised at Fortress Jobserve by Super U's on 16:31 - Mar 9 by gerry_us

We should be most thankful for what we have.
Remember, Notts County were a good bet for promotion!

Absolutely - puts our feelings about the U's occasionally inconsistent challenge for promotion sharply into focus!

Up the U's

Exiles to be ostracised at Fortress Jobserve by Super U's on 16:58 - Mar 9 with 617 viewsdurham_exile

Exiles to be ostracised at Fortress Jobserve by Super U's on 16:44 - Mar 9 by wessex_exile

Absolutely - puts our feelings about the U's occasionally inconsistent challenge for promotion sharply into focus!

3-0 FT

Must admit I won't shed any tears for Notts County they spent big in the summer and we never do well against them.

Promotion is still in our own hands we now need to see FGR off on Tuesday.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Exiles to be ostracised at Fortress Jobserve by Super U's on 17:00 - Mar 9 with 616 viewsMoor_Pinot

Similar to the Cheltenham game. Newport didn't improve and it was an easy win. Noubles goal identical to the one v Cheltenham but with the other foot. Smashing. Gilmartin had nothing to do. The formation change after last week thoroughly successful and could work away from home too given the extra press exerted. Senior excellent and should have made a fourth for Sammy. Satisfying win need exactly the same on Tuesday.

Moor Pinot

Exiles to be ostracised at Fortress Jobserve by Super U's on 17:05 - Mar 9 with 614 viewswessex_exile

Champ to chump - Turner puts Southend 2-1 up, and with the last kick of the game scores Blackpool's equaliser to throw 3pts away - what a great Saturday! :-)

Edit: The OG has been given to Moore according to the Beeb
[Post edited 9 Mar 2019 17:11]

Up the U's

Exiles to be ostracised at Fortress Jobserve by Super U's on 17:41 - Mar 9 with 591 viewsoxfcolu

Excellent performance today, bring on Tuesday.
Exiles to be ostracised at Fortress Jobserve by Super U's on 19:37 - Mar 9 with 553 viewsGOSBTS

Brilliant, professional performance from the U's. After they stopped booting the ball aimlessly in the wind for the first 10 minutes they played the following 80 like real play-off contenders. Szmodics' opportunistic opener really sparked the U's into life and after that we played with the handbrake off. Senior was immense and well worthy of the MOM - if he'd finished either of his one-on-ones it would have been the cherry on top! The second goal was crucial just before the half after a period of really sustained pressure. K-VY also excites me any time he gets on the ball in the opposition's half.

It was a real joy to watch Col U attack with such confidence today. Great results elsewhere. If I feel up to it after work I'll be there on Tuesday night. Up the U's!
Exiles to be ostracised at Fortress Jobserve by Super U's on 20:36 - Mar 9 with 537 viewsbwildered

No more bounce back results after this comprehensive,comfortable victory against this seasons giant killers.
It's time to believe .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024