Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's fall to late Exiles equaliser after deservedly thrashing the Imps 11:48 - May 6 with 833 viewsdurham_exile

Saturday ended in glorious failure because of an 87th minute equaliser from Jamille Matt of Newport County at the Globe Arena, but the match at Lincoln City will live long in the memory after a storming performance from the U’s put a dampener on the Imps promotion party.

The first half saw some of the best football played by the U’s for several years. They were lively, incisive, first to everything, chased down every ball, showed the form that they are capable of and had they demonstrated more of that more often, then we would have deservedly secured automatic promotion.

It wasn’t to be and ultimately, I would point to the 4-0 humiliation at Carlisle before Christmas as the point when the wheels began to fall off. We were abject that day and then poor results post-Christmas led to relegation form rather than promotion.

The 689 faithful who witnessed Saturday’s performance will be left wondering what could have been, such was the team’s domination over Champions Lincoln City. The crowd of 9,832 were largely silent throughout the game, only coming to life when news of the equaliser at Morecambe filtered through.

I had believed that we were capable of winning and predicted 3-1 to the U’s, but then in fairness I predict a Colchester victory every game! The players looked earnest and keen during the warm up and after all JM had selected the same XI that I identified so we got off to a good start.

It is also a long time since the Away end has been packed to the rafters, although the miserable Lincoln officials had only given us half of the Away end but the close proximity to the pitch and packed (standing room only for much of the game) made for a great atmosphere and the faithful sang throughout encouraging, cajoling and enthusing their team.

The first view of the infamous Trevor Kettle drew abuse from the faithful and rightly so. He is the Mike Dean of the lower leagues, he loves the limelight, laps up the attention and makes the game about him. He also has a total disregard for Colchester United as born out by his decision making. Try as he could however, he couldn’t produce a goal for the Imps despite awarding a freekick on the 6 yards line after adjudging Ross picking up the ball to be as a result of a back pass. It clearly wasn’t but Kettle couldn’t wait to award the indirect freekick.

The journey down to Lincoln was uneventful, this time I parked on the South Common which was closer to the ground than City centre parking. I met up with Gerry the Cat inside the ground his 29-mile journey eclipsed by my 126 miles. It was good to see him, and we opined that we could secure the win but that it was unlikely that the other results would go for us.

The Colchester line-up was:

Ross

Jackson Eastman Kent Dickenson

Senior Saunders Lapslie

Szmodics Mandron Nouble
Subs:

Vose Kensdale Wright Clampin Stevenson Eisa Chilvers

The wreath laying ceremony to remember the 56 who tragically perished in the Bradford fire was impeccably observed by everyone in the stadium.

A guard of honour for the Lincoln team was also organised with respect and the Colchester players fully played their part.

Now previous games have been billed as must wins and the performances have not lived up to the necessity. On Saturday Colchester were at the races from the get-go. Mika Mandron should have scored on 9 minutes when played through and after his first effort was parried by Vickers, he blazed the rebound high and not very handsome over the cross bar.

The faithful were not downhearted through they sensed something special was happening. Colchester were on the front foot, Jackson and Dickenson got forward at every opportunity, Saunders and Lapslie were like tigers in the centre of the park and despite a poor first touch Senior was not afraid to run with eh ball at the Lincoln defence.

Even if one was charitable and suggested that the Imps minds were on the beach at Lanzarote rather than Cleethorpes, the fact remained that they were receiving a lesson in football from the Super U’s.

The industrious Saunders took a corner on 21 minutes from in front of the faithful and Brennan Dickenson precisely and with accuracy found the far corner of the goal. 1-0 and delirium amongst the travelling hoards.

Word filtered through that Collins had put Morecambe 1-0 up at the Globe and FGR and Exeter were goalless, cue wild scenes behind the Lincoln goal from the faithful. Just before half time word suggested that Morecambe were 2-0 up but sadly it wasn’t to be.

On 27 minutes Jackson crossed and Szmodics stooped low to head confidently past Vickers, 2-0 and we were in dreamland.

Sincil Bank was in fact a library and disbelief emanated from the home fans. After all, only the mighty Crawley had won in the league this season against the league Champions.

Sammie Szmodics then shot and the ball came back off the far post. But we hadn’t finished, an under hit back pass from Bolger was chased down by the superb Szmodics and Vickers could only see his attempted clearance charged down by Szmodics who tapped gleefully into the empty net. 3-0 to the super U’s after 44 minutes.

Kettle looked as distraught as the Cowleys and their players. Half time and the opportunity to draw breath after what had been the finest 45 minutes watching Colchester for years.

Gerry, the Jiminy Cricket of this vignette, offered a word of caution and in fairness we both considered the possibility of late drama.

Retaking my standing position, I prepared for the second half. The tea and sausage roll had never tasted so good !

Second half and with the U’s 3-0 we expected a Lincoln backlash. It never materialised. The corpulent Rhead and toothless Akinde both made way for Lincoln as Cowley rang the changes. Colchester were happy to play a containing game with the occasional foray by the dangerous Nouble.

The truth is that we were comfortable. No change to either scoreline meant that we were on course for seventh place. The hardworking Saunders was replaced by Ben Stevenson on 86 minutes.

Almost immediately the Lincoln Fans woke from their slumbers and started to sing, word filtered through from the globe that a Newport equaliser had changed the complexion of things. If our players knew they were consummate professionals and played on regardless. Eisa and Chilvers came on for Senior and Lapslie respectively after 90 minutes and we saw out the additional time comfortably although the wretched Bolger hit the upright for Lincoln in stoppage time.

The final whistle saw the players rightly applauded by the faithful and JM was saluted by the faithful during emotional scenes.

Walking back to the car the conversation was that the season had been lost with the 16 defeats and the poor post-Christmas form. Had things gone differently at Yeovil then we would be playing Mansfield this week and not Newport.

Sadly, the league table doesn’t lie, and 70 points was insufficient to creep into seventh place. Not even the thought that the double had been achieved over both Lincoln and the MK Dons with a goal tally of seven to zero was able to lift the gloom.

The time for recriminations is not today, there will be plenty of time to mull over the season during the close season. Thoughts must turn to retaining players and hopefully adding some to strengthen the squad.

Sammie Szmodics should be allowed to move on and preferably for a figure of £750K. He has been at the club since the age of 6 and speculation is again rife. Let him go.

Also, out should definitely be:

Dillon Barnes
Luke Norris
Mika Mandron

But we must fight to retain, Jackson, Kent, Senior, Pell, Dickenson, Vincent-Young, Nouble and offer Sam Saunders a 1-year deal.

Now I don’t know who JM has on his shopping list but now that Notts County have dropped out of the league we should move for Kane Hemmings as a possible 20 goal a season striker for the U’s.

Plenty of time for reflection in due course. Yes of course I am disappointed but its been a long time since I have witnessed back to back league victories and they will live long in the memory.

Enjoy the Summer.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Super U's fall to late Exiles equaliser after deservedly thrashing the Imps on 12:15 - May 6 with 820 viewsburnsieespana

Thanks for that durham.
One question I have, is Ross a good longterm goalkeeper for us? Some sort of record in not having conceded a goal in his time between the sticks!
Super U's fall to late Exiles equaliser after deservedly thrashing the Imps on 12:56 - May 6 with 808 viewsgerry_us

Super U's fall to late Exiles equaliser after deservedly thrashing the Imps on 12:15 - May 6 by burnsieespana

Thanks for that durham.
One question I have, is Ross a good longterm goalkeeper for us? Some sort of record in not having conceded a goal in his time between the sticks!

Looks a good build for a keeper and has yet to concede a goal against two high profile teams so hopefully will be first choice next season.....unless the goalkeeping coach fancies a game or two! In my view he should not even be available for selection. What next? McGreal in the back four?
Coaching staff are coaching staff...only.
Super U's fall to late Exiles equaliser after deservedly thrashing the Imps on 14:41 - May 6 with 797 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's fall to late Exiles equaliser after deservedly thrashing the Imps on 12:56 - May 6 by gerry_us

Looks a good build for a keeper and has yet to concede a goal against two high profile teams so hopefully will be first choice next season.....unless the goalkeeping coach fancies a game or two! In my view he should not even be available for selection. What next? McGreal in the back four?
Coaching staff are coaching staff...only.

Burnsie I fully concur with Gerry's view.

Ethan Ross looks the part, he has the build, good distribution, not afraid to take free kicks on the half way line and unlike other keepers including big Sam, he commands the penalty area.

Interestingly in the last two games against MK Dons and Lincoln, he has not been stretched unduly.

But he has confidence and the goalkeeping gods came into play when Barnes had his moment of madness at Huish Park which although costing us two points it did give Ross his chance and he has grasped it confidently with both hands.

He should be number one with Vose number two next season.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's fall to late Exiles equaliser after deservedly thrashing the Imps on 16:02 - May 6 with 782 viewsdurham_exile

Incidentally Chuck Norris managed to trip on a kerb whilst getting onto the team bus prior to the game.

Unbelievable but true.

Time to pension sick note off.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's fall to late Exiles equaliser after deservedly thrashing the Imps on 16:59 - May 6 with 773 viewsmfb_cufc

Durham, thank you for the excellent previews and reviews throughout the season, and so pleased that you are seeing winning performances. It will certainly go down as a season of lost opportunity. I agree with you the Carlisle 4-0 was when things started to go wrong, But for me the biggest disaster was losing 3-2 to Mansfield, after leading 2-0. We thought at the time Mansfield were the new Barcelona, but since then they have shown they are nothing special. Of course the real reason for not making the play-offs was our inconsistency, the fact we never won more than two successive games, and only ever went four games undefeated. Teams with that sort of record don't usually get promoted.

mfb

Super U's fall to late Exiles equaliser after deservedly thrashing the Imps on 17:10 - May 6 with 772 viewsLeadbelly

Super U's fall to late Exiles equaliser after deservedly thrashing the Imps on 14:41 - May 6 by durham_exile

Burnsie I fully concur with Gerry's view.

Ethan Ross looks the part, he has the build, good distribution, not afraid to take free kicks on the half way line and unlike other keepers including big Sam, he commands the penalty area.

Interestingly in the last two games against MK Dons and Lincoln, he has not been stretched unduly.

But he has confidence and the goalkeeping gods came into play when Barnes had his moment of madness at Huish Park which although costing us two points it did give Ross his chance and he has grasped it confidently with both hands.

He should be number one with Vose number two next season.

Up the U's

Much discourse on the Ipswich board that Gerken has left. Just saying.
[Post edited 6 May 2019 17:11]

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Super U's fall to late Exiles equaliser after deservedly thrashing the Imps on 17:22 - May 6 with 769 viewsburnsieespana

Yes did think that as well but frankly I don't think he is any better now than when he left. Still a good shot stopper but not much else.
Super U's fall to late Exiles equaliser after deservedly thrashing the Imps on 18:10 - May 6 with 751 viewsFruitbat

Super U's fall to late Exiles equaliser after deservedly thrashing the Imps on 17:22 - May 6 by burnsieespana

Yes did think that as well but frankly I don't think he is any better now than when he left. Still a good shot stopper but not much else.

Plus, apparently, he has a knackered hip.
Login to get fewer ads

Super U's fall to late Exiles equaliser after deservedly thrashing the Imps on 18:13 - May 6 with 750 viewsmfb_cufc

Super U's fall to late Exiles equaliser after deservedly thrashing the Imps on 17:10 - May 6 by Leadbelly

Much discourse on the Ipswich board that Gerken has left. Just saying.
[Post edited 6 May 2019 17:11]

It is not surprising if true. Lambert didn't seem to rate Gerken when they were both at the U's.

mfb

Super U's fall to late Exiles equaliser after deservedly thrashing the Imps on 19:50 - May 6 with 738 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's fall to late Exiles equaliser after deservedly thrashing the Imps on 16:59 - May 6 by mfb_cufc

Durham, thank you for the excellent previews and reviews throughout the season, and so pleased that you are seeing winning performances. It will certainly go down as a season of lost opportunity. I agree with you the Carlisle 4-0 was when things started to go wrong, But for me the biggest disaster was losing 3-2 to Mansfield, after leading 2-0. We thought at the time Mansfield were the new Barcelona, but since then they have shown they are nothing special. Of course the real reason for not making the play-offs was our inconsistency, the fact we never won more than two successive games, and only ever went four games undefeated. Teams with that sort of record don't usually get promoted.

Mick I agree with you about Mansfield and of course 16 defeats tells its own story.

A fourth season in league two beckons and thatfor me is tremendously disappointing.

I have enjoyed recent performances, it's almost as if we only started to play when the chips were down.

I do hope that we truly strengthen the squad this close season for a concerted promotion push.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's fall to late Exiles equaliser after deservedly thrashing the Imps on 20:24 - May 6 with 729 viewsLeadbelly

Super U's fall to late Exiles equaliser after deservedly thrashing the Imps on 19:50 - May 6 by durham_exile

Mick I agree with you about Mansfield and of course 16 defeats tells its own story.

A fourth season in league two beckons and thatfor me is tremendously disappointing.

I have enjoyed recent performances, it's almost as if we only started to play when the chips were down.

I do hope that we truly strengthen the squad this close season for a concerted promotion push.

Up the U's

It’s the coaching squad that really needs strengthening!

Super U's fall to late Exiles equaliser after deservedly thrashing the Imps on 21:40 - May 6 with 720 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's fall to late Exiles equaliser after deservedly thrashing the Imps on 20:24 - May 6 by Leadbelly

It’s the coaching squad that really needs strengthening!

LB as someone who has been calling for JM to go for the last two months I am resigned to the fact that his situation is stronger than either Klopp or Guardiola.

If only he was able to take the defensive shackles off more often and allow the players to perform as they have done for the last couple of games we would be celebrating promotion and not another season in this wretched league.

I suppose it wil come down to how many of our better players we lose and whether we can truly sign a 20 goal per season striker. I have suggested one possible choice, there are others out there.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's fall to late Exiles equaliser after deservedly thrashing the Imps on 07:28 - May 8 with 629 viewsLeadbelly

Super U's fall to late Exiles equaliser after deservedly thrashing the Imps on 21:40 - May 6 by durham_exile

LB as someone who has been calling for JM to go for the last two months I am resigned to the fact that his situation is stronger than either Klopp or Guardiola.

If only he was able to take the defensive shackles off more often and allow the players to perform as they have done for the last couple of games we would be celebrating promotion and not another season in this wretched league.

I suppose it wil come down to how many of our better players we lose and whether we can truly sign a 20 goal per season striker. I have suggested one possible choice, there are others out there.

Up the U's

I think a 20 goal a season striker would be marvellous but anyone with that potential needs to play under a manager who can make it happen. This seems unlikely at Col U as I fear McGreal’s limitations and cautious approach will prevent it.

Orient may do OK as their top scorer managed 23 goals this season. Never given a chance to do that at his previous club unfortunately.

Super U's fall to late Exiles equaliser after deservedly thrashing the Imps on 12:16 - May 8 with 615 viewsMoor_Pinot

Super U's fall to late Exiles equaliser after deservedly thrashing the Imps on 07:28 - May 8 by Leadbelly

I think a 20 goal a season striker would be marvellous but anyone with that potential needs to play under a manager who can make it happen. This seems unlikely at Col U as I fear McGreal’s limitations and cautious approach will prevent it.

Orient may do OK as their top scorer managed 23 goals this season. Never given a chance to do that at his previous club unfortunately.

Yep a 20 goal man would be marvellous but totally agree Lead............we tend not to like those sort of players.

Bonne will prove himself further next year [I still don't recall him playing a full league game, he may have done] and we will continue to prove our ineptitude as regards such assets.

Collins - not really used
Hanlan - not used and just look how well he's done at Gillingham
Lapado - not really tried - his goals nearly saved Plymouth
Junior - not tried this season
oh and we signed Prem striker from Newcastle and let him warm the bench.

If you don't give people a chance...........others will. This inexperienced and cautious approach s why the last 3 seasons have been as they have.

Moor Pinot

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024