Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
F A Cup 1st Round Proper - Wealdstone v Colchester United 19:20 - Nov 6 with 2336 viewsdurham_exile

This week - no glib headlines, puns or attempted humour, it is all about doing a professional job and leaving the Grosvenor Vale ground with a victory.

TH knows what is at stake - the much heralded banana skin notwithstanding, nothing less than a win will do tomorrow.

The U's have been boosted by the return from injury of Gavin Massey. He will be on the bench at Wealdstone and could be expected to get 30 minutes under his belt. Jamie Jones may be fit, but if not Parish stands by to play.

The U's must play with intensity and passion and more than match their opponents in every department. Put simply a professional job from start to finish and no excuses for the state of the playing surface, the use of the high ball, the muscular approach from the National League team and dubious refereeing decisions or even the threat of a 41 year old Scott McGleish and ex Colchester striker..

Likely team:

Parish

Olufemi Eastman Elokobi Briggs

Gilbey Garvan Moncur Ambrose

Harriott Sordell

Subs:

Jones Edwards Sembie-Ferris Bonne Lapslie Massey Curtis

Approximately 450 U's fans will cheer on the team tomorrow. The nonsense that has been spoken about segregation or lack of it must be ignored, it is all about the football and the result.

Safe journey, enjoy the game and make sure that it is the U's name that goes into the draw for Round Two on Monday.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

F A Cup 1st Round Proper - Wealdstone v Colchester United on 23:58 - Nov 6 with 1609 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Football Focus comes live from Wealdstone tomorrow.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

F A Cup 1st Round Proper - Wealdstone v Colchester United on 00:29 - Nov 7 with 1605 viewsnoah4x4

Durham, the U's might have sold 375 advance tickets via WHCS but dozens, if not hundreds of U's fans have bought tickets on-line to be collected at Wealdstone before the embargo. I reckon 500-600 U's fans will travel.

I dont see 4-4-2 away from home after what Humes has said. That is far too attacking, and that formation depends too much on full backs getting forward. I suspect 4-3-2-1 is a more likely formation until we score two goals.
F A Cup 1st Round Proper - Wealdstone v Colchester United on 09:20 - Nov 7 with 1567 viewsburnsieespana

Be happy with a draw so we can get them back to the WHCS.
F A Cup 1st Round Proper - Wealdstone v Colchester United on 12:06 - Nov 7 with 1531 viewsFruitbat

F A Cup 1st Round Proper - Wealdstone v Colchester United on 09:20 - Nov 7 by burnsieespana

Be happy with a draw so we can get them back to the WHCS.

No draws as I'll almost certainly not be able to make the scheduled replay date.
F A Cup 1st Round Proper - Wealdstone v Colchester United on 15:43 - Nov 7 with 1507 viewsdurham_exile

F A Cup 1st Round Proper - Wealdstone v Colchester United on 12:06 - Nov 7 by Fruitbat

No draws as I'll almost certainly not be able to make the scheduled replay date.

Simply disgraceful

Humes must go

Durham_exile

F A Cup 1st Round Proper - Wealdstone v Colchester United on 15:50 - Nov 7 with 1503 viewsdurham_exile

F A Cup 1st Round Proper - Wealdstone v Colchester United on 15:43 - Nov 7 by durham_exile

Simply disgraceful

Humes must go

Good to see Bonne get a brace

Up theU's

Durham_exile

F A Cup 1st Round Proper - Wealdstone v Colchester United on 16:18 - Nov 7 with 1489 viewsBarsidepete

F A Cup 1st Round Proper - Wealdstone v Colchester United on 15:50 - Nov 7 by durham_exile

Good to see Bonne get a brace

Up theU's

Bonne with the hat-trick. Wow, nice one.

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

F A Cup 1st Round Proper - Wealdstone v Colchester United on 16:24 - Nov 7 with 1486 viewsdurham_exile

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

F A Cup 1st Round Proper - Wealdstone v Colchester United on 16:31 - Nov 7 with 1484 viewsdurham_exile

An air of respectability at last!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

F A Cup 1st Round Proper - Wealdstone v Colchester United on 16:34 - Nov 7 with 1476 viewsBarsidepete

F A Cup 1st Round Proper - Wealdstone v Colchester United on 16:31 - Nov 7 by durham_exile

An air of respectability at last!

Up the U's

Bonne with FOUR. Oh my goodness.

F A Cup 1st Round Proper - Wealdstone v Colchester United on 16:42 - Nov 7 with 1472 viewsdurham_exile

Scotty too hotty McGleish on for Wealdstone!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

F A Cup 1st Round Proper - Wealdstone v Colchester United on 16:44 - Nov 7 with 1470 viewsdurham_exile

Moncur 5-2

That is what was required at the start of the day!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

F A Cup 1st Round Proper - Wealdstone v Colchester United on 16:48 - Nov 7 with 1458 viewsBarsidepete

F A Cup 1st Round Proper - Wealdstone v Colchester United on 16:44 - Nov 7 by durham_exile

Moncur 5-2

That is what was required at the start of the day!

Up the U's

Nicely done, Sordell, to feed it to George.

F A Cup 1st Round Proper - Wealdstone v Colchester United on 16:49 - Nov 7 with 1459 viewsdurham_exile

There appears to be a dispute as to whether Bonne has three or four

Therefore Moncur either has one or two!

Gavin Massey is coming on.

Job done

Professional

Up the U's

Humes Out

Durham_exile

F A Cup 1st Round Proper - Wealdstone v Colchester United on 16:51 - Nov 7 with 1455 viewsdurham_exile

Marvin Sordell

6-2

Game Over

Up the U's

Durham_exile

F A Cup 1st Round Proper - Wealdstone v Colchester United on 16:52 - Nov 7 with 1452 viewsdurham_exile

Round 2 draw at 7pm Monday evening.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

F A Cup 1st Round Proper - Wealdstone v Colchester United on 16:56 - Nov 7 with 1447 viewsBarsidepete

F A Cup 1st Round Proper - Wealdstone v Colchester United on 16:49 - Nov 7 by durham_exile

There appears to be a dispute as to whether Bonne has three or four

Therefore Moncur either has one or two!

Gavin Massey is coming on.

Job done

Professional

Up the U's

Humes Out

Would that be overturned? Peeked in on the BBC and they have Macauley with 4. Did I miss something?

And there you go, Pete. Sordell, speaking of.

Professional indeed. 6-2.

F A Cup 1st Round Proper - Wealdstone v Colchester United on 17:16 - Nov 7 with 1438 viewsnoah4x4

We could have scored 4 in the first half if the home penalty area hadn't been such a bog. How the ball didnt cross the line on a couple of occasions was incredible. Their first goal (penalty) was from a dive. Their second a (ricochet) fluke, but it kept things interesting. We scored six and hit the woodwork three times. Might have been 10-0. Referee was awful. Bonne deffo scored 4. That is 7 in five days.
F A Cup 1st Round Proper - Wealdstone v Colchester United on 18:47 - Nov 7 with 1390 viewsgerry_us

Phew. Been doing my warden duties all day at Donna Nook seal sanctuary so only got a quick glance at the results page on my IPhone and it looked like Wealdstone 2 u's 0.
Drove home grumpy to be greeted with "good win today". Thought she was taking the p£$s until able to look at results on telly.As I said Phew!
And just an aside. I have been asking all season for an extended run for Bonne as I think he has a good idea where the goal is and he has always impressed me when I have seen him play; mainly last season. Today proved it. Monday night draw will now be interesting...but without Sarfend; shame.
Just seen highlights; dying swan for Wealdstone first goal
F A Cup 1st Round Proper - Wealdstone v Colchester United on 19:06 - Nov 7 with 1383 viewsComeonwealdstone

Fair play to your team. Came with a good attitude and showed us respect. We were a little underwhelming and made things too easy for you. Rabbits in headlights, especially at the back. Good luck to you in the next round.
F A Cup 1st Round Proper - Wealdstone v Colchester United on 19:59 - Nov 7 with 1359 viewsLeadbelly

F A Cup 1st Round Proper - Wealdstone v Colchester United on 17:16 - Nov 7 by noah4x4

We could have scored 4 in the first half if the home penalty area hadn't been such a bog. How the ball didnt cross the line on a couple of occasions was incredible. Their first goal (penalty) was from a dive. Their second a (ricochet) fluke, but it kept things interesting. We scored six and hit the woodwork three times. Might have been 10-0. Referee was awful. Bonne deffo scored 4. That is 7 in five days.

Noah,

The penalty was right in front of me. Edwards made a hash of defending then pulled back their player. Definite penalty albeit a bit soft.

I think fitness told in the end on a very heavy pitch. Despite the pitch and a strong wind credit to both sides for playing some good football. And hats off to the home fans for their vocal support throughout.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

F A Cup 1st Round Proper - Wealdstone v Colchester United on 21:45 - Nov 7 with 1307 viewswessex_exile

F A Cup 1st Round Proper - Wealdstone v Colchester United on 19:59 - Nov 7 by Leadbelly

Noah,

The penalty was right in front of me. Edwards made a hash of defending then pulled back their player. Definite penalty albeit a bit soft.

I think fitness told in the end on a very heavy pitch. Despite the pitch and a strong wind credit to both sides for playing some good football. And hats off to the home fans for their vocal support throughout.

Hear hear, they got louder every goal they conceded!

All in all, a very enjoyable day out I thought - welcoming locals, excellent club bar, great turnout from the U's faithful, and even at 2-1 (all three for the most part I missed at the terminally slow queue for the Rollin' Kitchen) I never at any point felt there was any doubt about the final result. Biggest cheer of the day was rightly for Super Scotty coming on, which he acknowledged with a very gracious round of applause himself at the final whistle - form is temporary, but class is permanent. Special mention to their keeper, who having already picked the ball out of the net six times, pulled off a blinder to prevent it being seven times.

Final point, the crowd was a shade below capacity, but they could have easily fitted another 500+ into our end without any bother (though to be fair, some would still be queuing now for their burgers and the two solitary portaloos).

Onwards and upwards, 2nd round beckons...

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

F A Cup 1st Round Proper - Wealdstone v Colchester United on 22:00 - Nov 7 with 1296 viewswessex_exile

F A Cup 1st Round Proper - Wealdstone v Colchester United on 19:59 - Nov 7 by Leadbelly

Noah,

Hmmm, you might want to look at that one again here Whales - I saw none of it (in said Rollin' Kitchen queue) but it looks a clear dive to me on the highlights?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34685669

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

F A Cup 1st Round Proper - Wealdstone v Colchester United on 23:03 - Nov 7 with 1256 viewsnoah4x4

It is true that Edwards did briefly touch the attackers elbow in a powder puff fashion, but if that was a penalty we have been denied a dozen this season. Have now watched the highlights three times and remain convinced it was a dive.

Never had any doubt about the result. Whichever side played up the boggy hill was always going to have difficulty in scoring. We did well to get two in that direction, albeit that I lost count of how many stuck in ther mud leaving us debating if any had crossed the line. In the second half we might have scored eight.

But what shocking organisation by a football club. Utter confusion regarding tickets (these were being sold to U's fans on the day). About 600 below capacity (so more U's fans could have travelled). Loud disco music drowned out the British Legion (minutes silence) last post bugle. Just a couple of portaloos for about 600 fans. A 35 minutes queue for a burger. Utterly unsatisfactory. But we did win.
[Post edited 7 Nov 2015 23:03]
F A Cup 1st Round Proper - Wealdstone v Colchester United on 23:13 - Nov 7 with 1249 viewsLeadbelly

F A Cup 1st Round Proper - Wealdstone v Colchester United on 22:00 - Nov 7 by wessex_exile

Hmmm, you might want to look at that one again here Whales - I saw none of it (in said Rollin' Kitchen queue) but it looks a clear dive to me on the highlights?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34685669

Thanks Wessex and apologies Noah. It was even softer than it looked at the time! The strange thing is nobody standing near me objected to the decision. Just shows what a difficult job referees have.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024