Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Shock news received in Gsy 19:11 - Jul 4 with 2514 viewsMadeira163

I hear news that Fred and Hazel (Host and Hostess) at the Bricklayers are off at the end of month. Sad news always a very agreeable pint.
Shock news received in Gsy on 22:53 - Jul 4 with 2491 viewsLeadbelly

Not a surprise I'm afraid. Hazel has been keen to move on for some time.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Shock news received in Gsy on 06:06 - Jul 5 with 2478 viewsthrillseeker

Sad news but like LB has said this decision was made a few months ago

As this is my local it would a disapointment if someone cannot take over the running.

Adnams haven't really marketed the lease for sale and the fear is locally they will cash in and try to gain planning permission for houses and flats
Shock news received in Gsy on 07:16 - Jul 6 with 2444 viewsSector4

Sad news, a disruption to my pre match routine. Hopefully some will take over and continue to run it as a proper pub.
Shock news received in Gsy on 21:17 - Jul 6 with 2417 viewsnoah4x4

The Victoria Inn is a decent option, and the U's sub shuttle bus stops outside. Very U's fan friendly; great beers. I've only been in Brickies once since I found the Victoria.
Shock news received in Gsy on 22:02 - Jul 6 with 2414 viewsLeadbelly

Shock news received in Gsy on 21:17 - Jul 6 by noah4x4

The Victoria Inn is a decent option, and the U's sub shuttle bus stops outside. Very U's fan friendly; great beers. I've only been in Brickies once since I found the Victoria.

All true and, as you know, I do frequent the Victoria on occasion but I was drinking in the Bricklayers for many years before the club moved to the north of town. If it is redeveloped I, for one, will miss it a great deal. Not Hazel though!

Shock news received in Gsy on 09:31 - Jul 7 with 2388 viewsSector4

Shock news received in Gsy on 21:17 - Jul 6 by noah4x4

I use the Victoria on non match days but didn't know about the sub shuttle. Thanks for the tip Noah.
Shock news received in Gsy on 15:55 - Jul 22 with 2209 viewsLeadbelly

Had a few pints in the Bricklayers last night on what was Fred and Hazel's penultimate day in charge. The situation going forward is the pub will shut for a week then reopen with a temporary tenant "for a few months". At the same time, the freehold is available for £495,000.

Doesn't appear Adnams have any interest in retaining the pub long term.Just hope someone does buy it to run as a proper pub. I fear gastropub or Hungry Horse/Harvester type operator is more likely. Even worse would be residential development.

Shock news received in Gsy on 18:10 - Jul 25 with 2139 viewsSector4

Shock news received in Gsy on 15:55 - Jul 22 by Leadbelly

Had a few pints in the Bricklayers last night on what was Fred and Hazel's penultimate day in charge. The situation going forward is the pub will shut for a week then reopen with a temporary tenant "for a few months". At the same time, the freehold is available for £495,000.

Doesn't appear Adnams have any interest in retaining the pub long term.Just hope someone does buy it to run as a proper pub. I fear gastropub or Hungry Horse/Harvester type operator is more likely. Even worse would be residential development.

Thanks for update, sounds ominous I am afraid.
Login to get fewer ads

Shock news received in Gsy on 08:32 - Jul 26 with 2105 viewsthrillseeker

Shock news received in Gsy on 18:10 - Jul 25 by Sector4

Thanks for update, sounds ominous I am afraid.

There are serious rumours locally Adnams wish to profit from the current boom in house prices and will sell off the land

Initial representations and investigations into this possibility have already taken place

The Bricklayers was formerly 3 terraced houses and of course has a huge plot of land with their car park

Us locals are fearing the worst but you never know Adnams may decide to keep pub or someone will purchase freehold and continue keeping it as a pub
Shock news received in Gsy on 10:07 - Jul 26 with 2096 viewsLeadbelly

Shock news received in Gsy on 08:32 - Jul 26 by thrillseeker

There are serious rumours locally Adnams wish to profit from the current boom in house prices and will sell off the land

Initial representations and investigations into this possibility have already taken place

The Bricklayers was formerly 3 terraced houses and of course has a huge plot of land with their car park

Us locals are fearing the worst but you never know Adnams may decide to keep pub or someone will purchase freehold and continue keeping it as a pub

The owner of the Sun at Dedham (also owns the Church Street Tavern in town) has, apparently, shown interest in the freehold. Neither the Sun or CST is my type of drinking establishment and I doubt very much I fit their preferred demographic either.

Whilst there is a chance someone takes on the pub and continues in similar vein to Fred & Hazel I think it is far more likely I'll be taking my custom elsewhere.

Shock news received in Gsy on 20:12 - Aug 10 with 1975 viewsSector4

Any news on whether the brickies will be open on Saturday please?
Shock news received in Gsy on 20:48 - Aug 10 with 1967 viewsLeadbelly

Shock news received in Gsy on 20:12 - Aug 10 by Sector4

Any news on whether the brickies will be open on Saturday please?

It was open last night so I assume it will be open on Saturday. I shall be heading elsewhere, however, as the place has been stripped bare and they no longer sell real cider. Really didn't like it at all.

Word on the street is that someone who runs a string of "kids" pubs in Clacton has bought the Brick. That doesn't sound encouraging at all.

Shock news received in Gsy on 09:26 - Aug 12 with 1902 viewsSector4

Shock news received in Gsy on 20:48 - Aug 10 by Leadbelly

It was open last night so I assume it will be open on Saturday. I shall be heading elsewhere, however, as the place has been stripped bare and they no longer sell real cider. Really didn't like it at all.

Word on the street is that someone who runs a string of "kids" pubs in Clacton has bought the Brick. That doesn't sound encouraging at all.

Thanks for the update, sounds like I am off to the Victoria.
Shock news received in Gsy on 12:42 - Aug 12 with 1883 viewsLeadbelly

Shock news received in Gsy on 09:26 - Aug 12 by Sector4

Thanks for the update, sounds like I am off to the Victoria.

Me too

Shock news received in Gsy on 16:58 - Aug 13 with 1840 viewsSector4

Shock news received in Gsy on 12:42 - Aug 12 by Leadbelly

Me too

I went in the Brickies first. One not very well kept pint of real ale, tv blaring out on ' ordinary' tv and a handful of younger customers who may have been friends of the staff. I then went to the Victoria which was like night and day. Can't see myself back at the brickies.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024