Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Away results encouragement? 12:41 - Oct 29 with 921 viewsnoah4x4

We have now passed a third of the season and the U's have risen to 13th and sit five points off the play-offs. It's progress considering our injury problems and awful start.

But have any other boarders noticed that of the 12 teams located above us we have already played 6 (50%) away in just 34% of the season? So have we already battled through a disproportionate number of our most challenging (e.g away) fixtures?. Our poor results against Accrington and Luton also reflect the U's coming up against two teams currently in an automatic promotion place in our first two away trips.

Then by the half way stage, we will have additionally played Notts County away, Swindon away and next up after that is Wycombe away. In essence, this might suggest that we will face almost ALL our greatest (away) challenges in this first half.

Many of these teams are losing on the road, and it's home results that have benefitted them. Yes, it is true that these same teams must come to WHCS, but I am sure they would prefer to face us at home in the crucial second half of the season. . If we can be in touching distance of the play-offs in January (with Guthrie and Dickenson fit?) then I wonder, might the apparently easier run in see us up into the automatic promotion slots? Or am I sounding as optimistic as Durham Exile?
[Post edited 29 Oct 2017 12:45]
Away results encouragement? on 16:57 - Oct 29 with 893 viewsbwildered

Agree recent away results are better, ( but had to be at some point ) after the first few fixtures.
Fate will be in our own hands, has all clubs finish playing everyone home and away, but knowing you might have played some harder away fixtures first also brings its own pressure for away results later and then ensuring home form can continue with tougher game then still to play .
Home form will be critical, has last season results against the very top sides was poor with a low points tally.
Ultimately all good sides will regularly achieve points against bottom half sides home or away, but what you achieve against fellow top half sides at home will determine your finish.

What we do not want is JMc saying we could have made the playoffs with another couple of games again .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Away results encouragement? on 21:56 - Oct 29 with 870 viewsdurham_exile

Noah I like the optimism, but I wonder is it more realism!

Injuries notwithstanding we got off to another very poor start to the season and interesting now have improving away stats (frankly they couldn't have been much worse).

I was very much in the Mandron (donkey from Shrek character) but now accept that he seems to be blossoming into a potent striker. His hold up play is very impressive and he has a knack for being in the right place within the six yard box. If he can translate some longer range shots into goals, then he will have all the tricks of the trade to secure 20+ goals for the Super U's this season.

Compare his saturday's work with Chris Porter who looks woefully out of form.

With a third of the season already played, we are handily placed for an assault on the top seven, only 5 points shy. I believe that the league is weaker this season and that a top three automatic promotion place is not out of the question. Now that is optimism.

Looking at the promoted teams from last season, it is Blackpool who look the strongest and they (deservedly) went up via the Play Offs. PLymouth despite a recent rally look out of their depth and even Pompey look all at sea. What does that say about the difference between the bottom two Divisions. But then look at the Shrews (who are doing a Colchester from 2006), I cannot believe that they will be there at the end of the season however.

Returning to the Super U's, the Cup this weekend offers some respite from the bread and butter of the league and we should comfortably look forward to round two and the £18K winners money.

It was a bad blow to lose Sean Murray just as he was playing with authority and scoring some vital goals. Six weeks will allow Comley and Slater to pair up in midfield I suppose.

We of course are still missing Vincent-Young, Dickenson, Guthrie, Prosser and Szmodics whilst Doug (sicknote) Loft has to be wrapped in cotton wool between games.

These are big losses for any side but it is a shame for JM who is growing into the job and beginning to form a promotion winning side.

I haven't mentioned Ryan Inniss yet but was thinking that he is similar to Pat (Rio) Baldwin which is not a bad compliment to pay to the giant defender.

Of course Reid, Comley, Kabamba, Odelusi and Hanlan are all on loan and given the precarious nature of our varied number of injuries, we will have to see what is possible in January.

Whilst I would accept that Guthrie and Dickenson would rightly go straight back into the team when fit, would you displace - Inniss, Kent , Jackson, Reid or Mandron for any of the other longer term injuries given their current form.

JM will have a headache come the turn of the year but a nice one given the embarrassment of riches likely to be available to the U's by then.

Our next league games are Barnet Away, Morecambe Home, Lincoln City Home, which are not particularly challenging before we play Notts Co Away, Exeter Home and Swindon Away which are certainly more difficult.

The aim must be to be firmly ensconced in the top seven by the turn of the year and to push on for a top three place after that.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024