Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Maamria Mia - the winner takes it all today at the Lamex 09:22 - Mar 24 with 1654 viewsdurham_exile

After the latest woeful display on Tuesday evening JM takes his seriously confidence bereft charges to the Lamex to take on Stevenage Borough, now managed by Dino Maamria.

The matches left this season have reached the stage where only the maximum 8 victories from 8 games will do for the U’s. Sadly, the spectacular way in which we have imploded since THAT victory against Coventry has left everyone totally shell shocked.

JM proved on Tuesday evening that he is unsure of his best XI, fails to make telling substitutions in sufficient time, but incredibly still receives support from the faithful. At the final whistle I heard not one dissenting voice or call for his removal. He also walked over to acknowledge the supporters, albeit wearing the expression of a rabbit caught in the headlights of a Reliant Robin.

Today we take on one of the sides against whom we enjoy a decent record. Stevenage are also unlikely to see Matty Godden return but they do have Alex Revell and Dean Bowditch in their ranks.

Now the situation is crystal clear for the U’s nothing less than a victory will do. Forget the unlikely scenario of the eight victories, we are playing for pride and hopefully in these last eight games the opportunity to show the opposition that we could have been up in the top seven elite had it not been for a series of long term injuries to key players (Prosser, Dickenson, Guthrie and Loft to name only some).

Now Kurtis Guthrie has been the fall guy since returning form injury. He has cut a forlorn figure since his return and his form has been poor, attitude worse and has publicly fallen out with JM. I would however like to see him play before the end of the season because we are in a position where we have mustered only 46 goals in 38 games and that is the reason why we will not be participating in the Play Offs this season.

Memories fade but it was Guthrie who singlehandedly forced changes in the U’s ranks last season after the Yeovil debacle at Huish Park. Guthrie has the ability to play in League Two and to score goals. He may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but I happen to believe that all is not lost with him and he needs to be offered the chance to finish the season.

Colin Garwood was a similar character to Guthrie, great goal scorer (the equaliser against Derby in the 99th minute at Layer Road brought the house down), but he too had a poor attitude and famously stated that he had played his last game for the club before being transferred out.

So, an olive branch needs to be extended to Guthrie and he should pull on the famous blue and white jersey or luminous green one, particularly at the New Lawn at Easter time.

Those doubters need only look at the stats recently and consider that no striker has scored in the last 5 games and only Brandon Comley whose excellent strike at Mansfield is the only goal mustered during that period.

These are grim times to be a Colchester supporter. Another season in the basement league beckons with next season looking to be a very poor-quality footballing league (have a look at who is coming down and who is joining from the National League).

Anyway, time for JM to take some positive pills and go for broke. If fit Frankie Kent should return and let’s try 3,4,3 with the following personnel.

Walker

Eastman Prosser Kent

Vincent-Young Comley Stevenson Dickenson

Senior Mandron Ogedi-Uzokwe

Subs:

Subs:
Barnes Jackson Rooney Shodipo Szmodics Murray Wright

Luke Prosser, Kane Vincent-Young, Brennan Dickenson, Courtney Senior, Ben Stevenson and Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe should already be pencilled in, with Mikael Mandron to be played with support from Junior up front.

If Ben Stevenson doesn’t start, then JM should be despatched to the Gulag as a crime against football, it’s that simple.

The supporters; long suffering and loyal deserve much better. They want to see passion, commitment, desire and belief. All of which was lacking from all bar three players on Tuesday at Morecambe.

No team has an automatic right to promotion but in a league where quality is at a premium, our lamentable form and results have shocked many. On Tuesday I was embarrassed not least because we have clearly regressed since last season but mainly because it was another game that I have failed to witness a U’s victory.

Weather in Stevenage will be a mild 10 degrees Celsius and the chance of some rain.

The Cup Finals:
Stevenage A
Luton H
Forest Green A
Accrington H
Notts Co H
Lincoln A
Swindon H
Exeter A

By 4.50pm I will be either dreaming that the 8 victories, however unlikely can be achieved or will be able to at last face the stark reality that our season, with one sixth still to play, is well and truly over.

Safe journey to the travelling faithful.

Up the U’s

[Post edited 24 Mar 2018 9:42]

Durham_exile

Maamria Mia - the winner takes it all today at the Lamex on 11:42 - Mar 24 with 1623 viewsgerry_us

Great opening title Pete. Is that why you posted so late?
......doesn't it go on "the loser standing small?"
Maamria Mia - the winner takes it all today at the Lamex on 12:02 - Mar 24 with 1617 viewsDaniel

"the expression of a rabbit caught in the headlights of a Reliant Robin"

That might explain his substitutions.
Maamria Mia - the winner takes it all today at the Lamex on 12:11 - Mar 24 with 1616 viewsLeadbelly

McGreal faces his own Waterloo this afternoon. The Name Of The Game is win at all costs and we'll be sending an S.O.S. if we don't secure three points.

After Guthrie said Gimme, Gimme, Gimme to Szmodics last Saturday everything went wrong. He asked the manager to Take A Chance On Me but McGreal says no way. He'll be earning his Money, Money, Money elsewhere next season...(that's enough Abba song titles - ed)

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Maamria Mia - the winner takes it all today at the Lamex on 15:23 - Mar 24 with 1583 viewsgerry_us

2-0 after 17 minutes, both to Macca Bonne.
Oh....he left us didn't he.
Maamria Mia - the winner takes it all today at the Lamex on 15:47 - Mar 24 with 1579 viewsMoor_Pinot

Our frenchman has scored! Bonne! Sorry, I mean bon.

Moor Pinot

Maamria Mia - the winner takes it all today at the Lamex on 15:52 - Mar 24 with 1575 viewsgerry_us

Maamria Mia - the winner takes it all today at the Lamex on 15:47 - Mar 24 by Moor_Pinot

Our frenchman has scored! Bonne! Sorry, I mean bon.

très bon
Maamria Mia - the winner takes it all today at the Lamex on 17:57 - Mar 24 with 1541 viewsdurham_exile

Maamria Mia - the winner takes it all today at the Lamex on 15:52 - Mar 24 by gerry_us

très bon

Guys I have decided that the answer to our woes is for me to spend the day in the Lake District and avoid the radio or telephone, returning to hear the good news.

Only playing ABBA's greatest hits for company!

Now just the seven more victories needed now.

Seriously, pleased to see Stevenson start but would have preferred to see Senior also and perhaps a cameo from Junior.

Good to see Mandron get on the score sheet, first since Coventry.

Luton currently 0-0 with Barnet, perhaps they might be having a lean patch!!!!

Good Friday should be a classic encounter.

JM said "that some of our football was out of this world" - incredible quotation.

Basking in the victory glow at present, might come down later in the evening but not quite yet.

21 more points.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Maamria Mia - the winner takes it all today at the Lamex on 18:32 - Mar 24 with 1527 viewswessex_exile

Maamria Mia - the winner takes it all today at the Lamex on 17:57 - Mar 24 by durham_exile

Guys I have decided that the answer to our woes is for me to spend the day in the Lake District and avoid the radio or telephone, returning to hear the good news.

Only playing ABBA's greatest hits for company!

Now just the seven more victories needed now.

Seriously, pleased to see Stevenson start but would have preferred to see Senior also and perhaps a cameo from Junior.

Good to see Mandron get on the score sheet, first since Coventry.

Luton currently 0-0 with Barnet, perhaps they might be having a lean patch!!!!

Good Friday should be a classic encounter.

JM said "that some of our football was out of this world" - incredible quotation.

Basking in the victory glow at present, might come down later in the evening but not quite yet.

21 more points.

Up the U's

This may be the new winning formula Durham, because me and the youngest avoided following the match in away way as well, by going to the cinema for the afternoon - it wasn't a conscious decision, just worked out that way. Needless to say, I was delighted to discover the final score when we got out of the cinema, and indeed to read that we actually were playing very well. Probably too little too late, but as long as we keep winning, let's just see how the endgame plays out.

Up the U's

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Login to get fewer ads

Maamria Mia - the winner takes it all today at the Lamex on 18:43 - Mar 24 with 1525 viewsdurham_exile

Maamria Mia - the winner takes it all today at the Lamex on 18:32 - Mar 24 by wessex_exile

This may be the new winning formula Durham, because me and the youngest avoided following the match in away way as well, by going to the cinema for the afternoon - it wasn't a conscious decision, just worked out that way. Needless to say, I was delighted to discover the final score when we got out of the cinema, and indeed to read that we actually were playing very well. Probably too little too late, but as long as we keep winning, let's just see how the endgame plays out.

Up the U's

Wessex what film did you both see?

IF we defeat Luton on Good Friday, then the belief will return big time.

Now I'm in a quandary about Easter Monday, do I go to the New Lawn.
OK then I will.

Must avoid the Veggie burgers though.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Maamria Mia - the winner takes it all today at the Lamex on 19:39 - Mar 24 with 1510 viewswessex_exile

Maamria Mia - the winner takes it all today at the Lamex on 18:43 - Mar 24 by durham_exile

Wessex what film did you both see?

IF we defeat Luton on Good Friday, then the belief will return big time.

Now I'm in a quandary about Easter Monday, do I go to the New Lawn.
OK then I will.

Must avoid the Veggie burgers though.

Up the U's

The new Pacific Rim movie Durham - pretty good, not as good as the original, but definitely worth a trip to the cinema for.

My Easter plans are bit up in the air at the moment - FGR was definitely on my To-Do list, proximity for one, but particularly as my next-door neighbour is their Head Groundsman, but when my kids come over for Easter is possibly complicating matters at the moment.

Up the U's

Maamria Mia - the winner takes it all today at the Lamex on 20:17 - Mar 24 with 1495 viewsdurham_exile

Maamria Mia - the winner takes it all today at the Lamex on 19:39 - Mar 24 by wessex_exile

The new Pacific Rim movie Durham - pretty good, not as good as the original, but definitely worth a trip to the cinema for.

My Easter plans are bit up in the air at the moment - FGR was definitely on my To-Do list, proximity for one, but particularly as my next-door neighbour is their Head Groundsman, but when my kids come over for Easter is possibly complicating matters at the moment.

Thanks Wessex - the film received good reviews from the Good Doctor on Radio 5 live.

Hopefully family arrangements will work out to your advantage.

IF and it is a big IF we defeat Luton then confidence will be sky high and anything could happen.

There is that hope thing again that only comes after a win!!!!

Up the resurgent U's

Durham_exile

Maamria Mia - the winner takes it all today at the Lamex on 21:10 - Mar 24 with 1481 viewsgerry_us

It's called papering over the cracks. A few wins, we finish eighth or ninth and management will be happy. Well guess what; I won't! McGreal has ruined what could have been an excellent season when you think where we were around Xmas. This man needs removing now.
Not sure how everyone will take this but I was hoping for an absolute mullering at Stevenage today. That maybe would have brought the owner to his senses. Today's win only muddies the waters even more.
Maamria Mia - the winner takes it all today at the Lamex on 22:14 - Mar 24 with 1466 viewsmfb_cufc

Maamria Mia - the winner takes it all today at the Lamex on 21:10 - Mar 24 by gerry_us

It's called papering over the cracks. A few wins, we finish eighth or ninth and management will be happy. Well guess what; I won't! McGreal has ruined what could have been an excellent season when you think where we were around Xmas. This man needs removing now.
Not sure how everyone will take this but I was hoping for an absolute mullering at Stevenage today. That maybe would have brought the owner to his senses. Today's win only muddies the waters even more.

Quite right Gerry. The win today just makes those pathetic home defeats to Barnet and Yeovil harder to take. Just think what position we would be in with those, what should have been, easy six points. It was good to see the King of Mediocrity actually give Stevenson a game today. Absolute disgrace why he hasn't started in recent games. Durham said there was no discontentment with McGreal after the Morecambe game. That is because they know, like we all do, that we will only get the next internal muppet to replace him if he was sacked. The real change we need, to break this chain of mediocrity, is for Cowling to go. But that is not going to happen any time soon.

mfb

Maamria Mia - the winner takes it all today at the Lamex on 22:18 - Mar 24 with 1465 viewswessex_exile

Maamria Mia - the winner takes it all today at the Lamex on 21:10 - Mar 24 by gerry_us

To a degree I agree Gerry - if we are to finish again top half and just outside the play-offs, given we know we have both the squad and set up to do so much better, it is unacceptable. We know, and frankly I'm glad, that our chairman isn't the knee-jerk hire-em-and-fire-em sort, so I don't expect any changes before the end of the season (even if we'd been absolutely battered today, which frankly I'm glad we weren't). I also believe that John McGreal is an honourable sort of chap, and will likely offer his resignation if we don't make the play-offs. Whether Robbie Cowling accepts that resignation, and he hasn't in the past, remains to be seen.

For now, it's one cup-final done, seven more to go, and nothing for me will stop the hope.

Up the U's!

Up the U's

Maamria Mia - the winner takes it all today at the Lamex on 11:13 - Mar 26 with 1348 viewsHungryStudent

A win, 3 points, but a dangerous precedent set for next season.

McGreal lauded his players after dragging themselves over the line to defeat lowly 16th placed Stevenage in a 1-0 victory on Saturday. This was the U's first win away since Crawley on Boxing Day and our first goal since Mansfield away. We've now scored 2 in our last 5 matches.

Regardless, McGreal was clearly delighted by his teams performance stating: "From minute one, especially in the first 45 minutes, some of the football we played was out of this world".

I cannot agree with this, nor, i'm pretty certain, will the majority of the other Colchester fans sitting in the stand behind the goal, where despite winning, there was somewhat a toxic atmosphere as the S1 young boys chanted virulently "Robbie Cowling's a C**T" and "Cowling Out" on repeat.

Other's around looked uncomfortable and at worst discontenting toward the young lads but nothing came of it. I don't blame this lot, they can sense something's not quite right in the state of Denmark, but rather than discuss or cogitate, look into the history, finances and decision, decide to vent, shout and curse. Why not? it feels good right?.. I'm not so sure.

Anyhow, back to the game and I was pleasantly surprised to see Szmodics playing on the last man for the first 45 minutes. This is in large to the inclusion of Ben Stevenson who helps bring the side forward through his positioning and creativity meaning Szmodics doesn't get restless and drop deeper searching for the ball. Not his best performance but he got 3 shots away, more than his last 3/4 games combined..

Brennan and Drey got the ball regularly and had some better distribution. We looked comfortable and happy to glide through the game. Solid at the back, at ease up top... Will this be a problem for next season? You betcha.

Second half began and just as soon as we'd started to get to a position were we'd have more shots than one hand can count, we decide to sit back. Cue total boredom, phone checking and aggravation from the U's faithful as Stevenage start to press forward. On this occasion the sturdy Prosser, Eastman, KVY and Jackson were happy to deal with the weak threat Stevenage posed. Will the same be said when we face a decent side? Perhaps not?

25 minutes to go and I sat dumbfounded as Jackson ran the ball into the corner looking to waste time. "Change it up John" I thought to myself as I placed £7 on Stevenage to score next and that he did... but not to my liking.

Central Midfielder Sean Murray on for Right Midfielder Drey Wright. Odd, I thought this destabilised and unbalanced us. Perhaps Courtney Senior would've been the preferred option, he certainly would've given us some attacking intent and perhaps we could capitalise on the counter?

Stevenage pressure continued and we looked less likely to create. Next sub, Defensive, dynamic midfielder Comley on for creative Stevenson (who had a knock). Then a few minutes later, Striker Mandeville on for Left Midfielder Brennan Dickenson... and guess where he played? Yep that's right, Left Midfield.... At this point, I was certain of a Stevenage goal and as Jackson toppled an on-running Stevenage player I thought the referee had pointed to the spot. Alas, our defensive competence held strong and as the final whistle blowed I felt somewhat fearful rather than jubilation.

Please John, do not continue to play this style of football, it will not work with the better teams and it does a dis-service to the quality of players we have. More than happy for us to rely on the strength we posses in defence, but at least counter attack and pose a threat.
Maamria Mia - the winner takes it all today at the Lamex on 21:07 - Mar 26 with 1286 viewsmfb_cufc

How to make money from McGreals boring tactics.

Under 2.5 Goals bets have paid out in 8 of Colchester’s last 9 games.

mfb

Maamria Mia - the winner takes it all today at the Lamex on 10:37 - Mar 27 with 1241 viewsHungryStudent

Maamria Mia - the winner takes it all today at the Lamex on 21:07 - Mar 26 by mfb_cufc

How to make money from McGreals boring tactics.

Under 2.5 Goals bets have paid out in 8 of Colchester’s last 9 games.

Correct!

I preferred our time under Humes. Much better odds as every game was BTTS over 3.5 and Opposition win!!!
Maamria Mia - the winner takes it all today at the Lamex on 23:21 - Mar 27 with 1189 viewsBlue4U2

Maamria Mia - the winner takes it all today at the Lamex on 12:11 - Mar 24 by Leadbelly

McGreal faces his own Waterloo this afternoon. The Name Of The Game is win at all costs and we'll be sending an S.O.S. if we don't secure three points.

After Guthrie said Gimme, Gimme, Gimme to Szmodics last Saturday everything went wrong. He asked the manager to Take A Chance On Me but McGreal says no way. He'll be earning his Money, Money, Money elsewhere next season...(that's enough Abba song titles - ed)

You missed a couple of songs out!
You could have used "The visitors" and "Under attack
Credit due tho for the rest - sublime writing!!
Maamria Mia - the winner takes it all today at the Lamex on 10:51 - Mar 28 with 1161 viewsLeadbelly

Maamria Mia - the winner takes it all today at the Lamex on 23:21 - Mar 27 by Blue4U2

You missed a couple of songs out!
You could have used "The visitors" and "Under attack
Credit due tho for the rest - sublime writing!!

Thanks...I do try!

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Maamria Mia - the winner takes it all today at the Lamex on 12:15 - Mar 29 with 1106 viewsburnsieespana

Saturday was my first away game for a couple of years and I actually enjoyed the game as thought we did at least try to play a bit of football. The behaviour of the "singers" in the fist half was a disgrace particularly as a number of yougsters were in the immediate vicinity. The Stevenage stewards got it about right in by book, by removing several at halftime.
However as an individual you feel about the club, owner, etc no excuse exists for such downright disgusting language in a public area with fairly young children in the crowd.
Talking to the Stevenage fans on the shuttle bus back to the station they have far greater issues than we do with a lot of negative comments about the management, owners and stadium.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024