Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Robins to be red faced after Super U's victory on saturday 20:04 - Aug 31 with 1005 viewsdurham_exile

JM takes his charges to the Jonny Rocks Stadium for the second time this season to play Cheltenham Town. Things have changed for the Gloucestershire club since that Carabao Cup match with a new manager since Gary Johnson’s sacking. Russ Milton is the caretaker boss and he has added to his ranks with 32-year-old striker Tyrone Barnett on loan from Port Vale. Cheltenham also picked up a useful victory at Cambridge last weekend. All of which proves that any team can defeat any other in league two this season.

Colchester sadly lost their unbeaten record to Northampton Town last week but have the chance to bounce back with a win against the Robins on Saturday. Cheltenham have made the game Retro Kit day and have urged supporters to bring their old kit, scarfs etc to wear them with pride. The offer I am sure would be extended to the Away faithful, many of whom will be sporting the smart new Camo Kit (I have one on order and hope to be sporting it at Prenton Park next week!).

Colchester still sit in the play off positions and a handy three points will enable them to get closer to leaders Lincoln City who travel to Exeter in an intriguing clash.

Table:
Lincoln 5 13
MK Dons 5 11
Exeter 5 10
Carlisle 5 10
Newport 5 10
COL U 5 8
Yeovil 5 8

If I were JM I would make two changes for the game tomorrow. Frank Nouble should be replaced by Luke Norris, who deserves a start and the opportunity to add to his goal tally. Defender Tom Eastman should return for Senior in a revised 3,4,3 formation

Team:

Barnes

Eastman Kent Prosser

Jackson Lapslie Pell Vincent-Young

Szmodics Norris Dickenson

Subs:
Ross Wright Comley Collins Nouble Mandron Senior

Thinking, JM prefers the option to play 5 at the back when defending away from home and to use the wing backs to both defend when we are on the defensive and to attack when we go forward. Both Jackson and Vincent-Young have pace to spare and I like the freedom for Dickenson to express himself as an out and out winger.

JM also has the option to use Mandron and Collins from the bench and big Frank Nouble as well if required. After two deserved draws at difficult grounds against two of the top teams, it is up to Colchester to go hunting for three points at the Jonny Rocks stadium.

The weather in Gloucestershire tomorrow is set fair with 22 degrees Celsius and sunshine the order of the day. The pitch will be pristine and the faithful will be in good voice.

In other news Brandon Comley has been called up to the Montserrat Squad for their CONCACAF Nations league qualifier against El Salvador and will fly out on Monday. Good Luck Brandon.

Safe journey to the travelling supporters. Enjoy the game and Up the U’s

[Post edited 31 Aug 2018 23:16]

Durham_exile

Robins to be red faced after Super U's victory on saturday on 23:11 - Aug 31 with 968 viewsoxfcolu

Excellent review. I agree with your suggestion for tomorrows team.
Robins to be red faced after Super U's victory on saturday on 23:18 - Aug 31 with 958 viewsdurham_exile

Robins to be red faced after Super U's victory on saturday on 23:11 - Aug 31 by oxfcolu

Excellent review. I agree with your suggestion for tomorrows team.

Oxfcolu will you be travelling tomorrow to Cheltenham.

I will be at the Tranmere and Oldham games, but sadly can't make it tomorrow.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Robins to be red faced after Super U's victory on saturday on 01:10 - Sep 1 with 954 viewswessex_exile

Robins to be red faced after Super U's victory on saturday on 23:18 - Aug 31 by durham_exile

Oxfcolu will you be travelling tomorrow to Cheltenham.

I will be at the Tranmere and Oldham games, but sadly can't make it tomorrow.

Up the U's

Me and my youngest will be there tomorrow (today), so if any on here are also there and know me, come and say hello.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Robins to be red faced after Super U's victory on saturday on 10:21 - Sep 1 with 931 viewsMadeira163

Robins to be red faced after Super U's victory on saturday on 01:10 - Sep 1 by wessex_exile

Me and my youngest will be there tomorrow (today), so if any on here are also there and know me, come and say hello.

I survived daughters first drive in Uk Poole to Cardiff , lesson no 2 Cardiff to Cheltenham today . Make yourself know Wessex I’m short hair blue and white stripes with 23 year old dark haired girl looking bored !!!!!
Robins to be red faced after Super U's victory on saturday on 11:40 - Sep 1 with 921 viewswessex_exile

Robins to be red faced after Super U's victory on saturday on 10:21 - Sep 1 by Madeira163

I survived daughters first drive in Uk Poole to Cardiff , lesson no 2 Cardiff to Cheltenham today . Make yourself know Wessex I’m short hair blue and white stripes with 23 year old dark haired girl looking bored !!!!!

Righto Guerno - tiptree shirt, grey hair and beer, accompanied by bored looking teenage son :-)

Edit: Freudian slip there, beard not beer - driving today :-(
[Post edited 1 Sep 2018 11:42]

Up the U's

Robins to be red faced after Super U's victory on saturday on 14:05 - Sep 1 with 896 viewsdurham_exile

Line up today

Barnes
Eastman Prosser Kent
Jackson Pell Comley Vincent-Young
Szmodics
Norris Nouble

Subs
Ross Rooney Barnes Wright Collins Senior Mandron

No Dickenson or Lapslie

Good to see three at the back and two strikers in Norris and Nouble

Shows attacking intent

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Robins to be red faced after Super U's victory on saturday on 15:55 - Sep 1 with 875 viewsdurham_exile

So far so good, 2-0 to the Super U's and a brace from Luke (Chuck) Norris

Now even though I had 2-0 to Colchester with Norris to score first I hope that I am wrong and that Frank Nouble can score second half.

Come on the Super U's

Durham_exile

Robins to be red faced after Super U's victory on saturday on 16:33 - Sep 1 with 864 viewsgerry_us

Robins to be red faced after Super U's victory on saturday on 15:55 - Sep 1 by durham_exile

So far so good, 2-0 to the Super U's and a brace from Luke (Chuck) Norris

Now even though I had 2-0 to Colchester with Norris to score first I hope that I am wrong and that Frank Nouble can score second half.

Come on the Super U's

I see we have substituted the double goal scorer???? Surely he should stay on for a hatrick? Strange decision. Just hope we don't go to 10 at the back.
Login to get fewer ads

Robins to be red faced after Super U's victory on saturday on 16:54 - Sep 1 with 855 viewsdurham_exile

Robins to be red faced after Super U's victory on saturday on 16:33 - Sep 1 by gerry_us

I see we have substituted the double goal scorer???? Surely he should stay on for a hatrick? Strange decision. Just hope we don't go to 10 at the back.

Gerry - Harry Pell late penalty to give a deserved 3-1 victory.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Robins to be red faced after Super U's victory on saturday on 18:55 - Sep 1 with 827 viewsdurham_exile

Attendance 2,789 and 198 of the faithful made the trip.

Hope Wessex, Oxfcolu and GSY all enjoyed it!

Bring on the Wirral hoards!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Robins to be red faced after Super U's victory on saturday on 19:54 - Sep 1 with 809 viewswessex_exile

Robins to be red faced after Super U's victory on saturday on 18:55 - Sep 1 by durham_exile

Attendance 2,789 and 198 of the faithful made the trip.

Hope Wessex, Oxfcolu and GSY all enjoyed it!

Bring on the Wirral hoards!

Up the U's

As 3-1 victories away from home go, this one was difficult to enjoy at times, particularly for most of the second half. Even in the first half we struggled to get our flowing football flowing, though to be fair Cheltenham offered very little to trouble us. Two great strikes from Norris, particularly the free-kick, should have seen us press on in the second half for the killer third, but instead we sat deeper and deeper just trying to hold on to what we had (sound familiar?).

Inevitably, even though Cheltenham still weren't making much use of the possession they had, a strike through a forest of legs (with a deflection? looked like it to me) gave them hope, and to be honest most of the faithful were probably expecting the inevitable equaliser. However, Sammie hadn't read the script, and despite running and running tirelessly all game, managed to scramble his way into the box with a few minutes to go to draw an easy penalty from a tired challenge. If there was debate about who took the first spot-kick, with Norris already subbed there was no debate for this one - up strode Harry Pell and absolutely leathered it into the top corner. Game Over.

MoM for me was Sammie, just didn't stop chasing everything, and the 3rd goal was entirely down to his dogged persistence. I get why the jury may be out on Nouble, and we discovered another aspect of his game today - he is not a fleet-footed dribbler of the ball. But he's a big unit, with masses of strength, and drew 2 or 3 Cheltenham players every time he had the ball. I don't think it's a coincidence that with him playing, others are regularly finding the net. If he keeps doing that all season, I don't care if he isn't scoring any of his own.

Great to meet you and your daughter GSY, plus Hereford Bob, Swedish Martin, others, and also Ms Norris who it turned out was sat right next to us! Great passionate vocal support from her, with quite a liberal amount of 'effing and jeffing thrown in for good measure.

3-1 away from home, and we didn't play particularly well overall - I'll take that every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Up the U's!!!

Up the U's

Robins to be red faced after Super U's victory on saturday on 20:40 - Sep 1 with 798 viewsdurham_exile

Robins to be red faced after Super U's victory on saturday on 19:54 - Sep 1 by wessex_exile

As 3-1 victories away from home go, this one was difficult to enjoy at times, particularly for most of the second half. Even in the first half we struggled to get our flowing football flowing, though to be fair Cheltenham offered very little to trouble us. Two great strikes from Norris, particularly the free-kick, should have seen us press on in the second half for the killer third, but instead we sat deeper and deeper just trying to hold on to what we had (sound familiar?).

Inevitably, even though Cheltenham still weren't making much use of the possession they had, a strike through a forest of legs (with a deflection? looked like it to me) gave them hope, and to be honest most of the faithful were probably expecting the inevitable equaliser. However, Sammie hadn't read the script, and despite running and running tirelessly all game, managed to scramble his way into the box with a few minutes to go to draw an easy penalty from a tired challenge. If there was debate about who took the first spot-kick, with Norris already subbed there was no debate for this one - up strode Harry Pell and absolutely leathered it into the top corner. Game Over.

MoM for me was Sammie, just didn't stop chasing everything, and the 3rd goal was entirely down to his dogged persistence. I get why the jury may be out on Nouble, and we discovered another aspect of his game today - he is not a fleet-footed dribbler of the ball. But he's a big unit, with masses of strength, and drew 2 or 3 Cheltenham players every time he had the ball. I don't think it's a coincidence that with him playing, others are regularly finding the net. If he keeps doing that all season, I don't care if he isn't scoring any of his own.

Great to meet you and your daughter GSY, plus Hereford Bob, Swedish Martin, others, and also Ms Norris who it turned out was sat right next to us! Great passionate vocal support from her, with quite a liberal amount of 'effing and jeffing thrown in for good measure.

3-1 away from home, and we didn't play particularly well overall - I'll take that every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Up the U's!!!

Wessex - thanks for a great review and you met up with some more of the faithful, including Mrs Norris - fantastic support.

I am sorry that Nouble didn't score again but full marks to JM for playing Nouble and Norris.

What was Mika Mandron like when he came on. Also good to hear that Szmodics is back to his best.

The sitting deep second half is sadly a JM trait and I don't understand it when we are so good going forward, it will be interesting to see what he does at Prenton park which will be another tough game.

Anyway 3-1 what's not to like!

PS Have just watched the goals - both stonewall penalties and both despatched with venom. If Ronaldo had scored the free kick you would never have heard the end of it.
It was a truly great strike.

Szmodics was superb to win the second penalty and full marks to the referee who could have penalised the first foul on him but played the advantage. Mandron assisted the third goal with a neat pass to Sammie.

Up the U's
[Post edited 1 Sep 2018 20:48]

Durham_exile

Robins to be red faced after Super U's victory on saturday on 21:01 - Sep 1 with 790 viewswessex_exile

Robins to be red faced after Super U's victory on saturday on 20:40 - Sep 1 by durham_exile

Wessex - thanks for a great review and you met up with some more of the faithful, including Mrs Norris - fantastic support.

I am sorry that Nouble didn't score again but full marks to JM for playing Nouble and Norris.

What was Mika Mandron like when he came on. Also good to hear that Szmodics is back to his best.

The sitting deep second half is sadly a JM trait and I don't understand it when we are so good going forward, it will be interesting to see what he does at Prenton park which will be another tough game.

Anyway 3-1 what's not to like!

PS Have just watched the goals - both stonewall penalties and both despatched with venom. If Ronaldo had scored the free kick you would never have heard the end of it.
It was a truly great strike.

Szmodics was superb to win the second penalty and full marks to the referee who could have penalised the first foul on him but played the advantage. Mandron assisted the third goal with a neat pass to Sammie.

Up the U's
[Post edited 1 Sep 2018 20:48]

Evening Durham

Mandron was mostly ineffective, but in reality it was no fault of his own (though he was part of the 1-2 for Sammies penalty). I'm not sure whether Norris's substitution was wholly tactical, or whether he was just dead on his feet (he'd been very busy for the hour+ he played), but by the time Mandron came on, we were sitting so deep that he was completely isolated, feeding on scraps and with no one really in support. Even Nouble was playing what can only be described as left back, sometimes even further back than KVY.

The word on the terrace was that Lapslie and Dickenson were involved in a training ground collision (as in tackling accident, not fisticuffs), but don't know how true that is?

Up the U's

Robins to be red faced after Super U's victory on saturday on 21:18 - Sep 1 with 783 viewsoxfcolu

Sorry only just read all of this thread.
I was there today hidden away with my friend on the side.
Consequently couldn't make to much noise or comment.
This was a different performance from the league cup loss on penalties.
I said after that game we had no squad depth, well I was wrong.
Fantastic comeback after last week and of course Norris was on the ball and hit the target twice. There is something about the side this year that has been missing for a long time. I truly feel we will be up there at the end of the season.
Robins to be red faced after Super U's victory on saturday on 00:22 - Sep 2 with 750 viewsdurham_exile

Robins to be red faced after Super U's victory on saturday on 21:01 - Sep 1 by wessex_exile

Evening Durham

Mandron was mostly ineffective, but in reality it was no fault of his own (though he was part of the 1-2 for Sammies penalty). I'm not sure whether Norris's substitution was wholly tactical, or whether he was just dead on his feet (he'd been very busy for the hour+ he played), but by the time Mandron came on, we were sitting so deep that he was completely isolated, feeding on scraps and with no one really in support. Even Nouble was playing what can only be described as left back, sometimes even further back than KVY.

The word on the terrace was that Lapslie and Dickenson were involved in a training ground collision (as in tackling accident, not fisticuffs), but don't know how true that is?

Wessex - I feared that JM wouldn't play two out and out strikers in that role.

I don't know why he won't play Collins who had an excellent game at Meadow Lane. Still must complain about a 3-1 away win.

We are definitely going to put some decent results together this season. And to be fair to JM he admitted that the team dropped too deep, but surely that instruction must come from him.

Still I am looking forward to next week at Prenton park, which will be another tough game.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024