Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
25% discount when the U's win 08:44 - Oct 27 with 776 viewsnoah4x4

Offered in the hour after a game to persuade more to stay after a game and drink in the Supporters Bar. Still makes the alcohol expensive, but it is a positive move.

I like the facility and have supported it pre-game. But that is largely because I arrive at least 30 minutes earlier than previously as I fear the now limited bus service might let me down. Two problems with the offer.....

1. Last home game it ran out of Speckled Hen (Greene King IPA is awful).

2. If you stay an hour after the game, bus services are even more limited.

Today, a big crowd is expected. Cue street parking misery for the new housing developments. Something has to be done about the lack of public transport before the Supporters Bar can be more successful. The surrounding new housing estates have bus stops, but no buses. Surely, a service will be essential to the Northern Gateway when built. Can these not be resolved now at least on match days?

25% discount when the U's win on 14:54 - Oct 29 with 708 viewsLeadbelly

Apparently it's 25% off, regardless of result, if you park at the stadium. Very irresponsible of the club to encourage drink driving. Humes out!

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

25% discount when the U's win on 16:12 - Oct 29 with 700 viewsnoah4x4

25% discount when the U's win on 14:54 - Oct 29 by Leadbelly

Apparently it's 25% off, regardless of result, if you park at the stadium. Very irresponsible of the club to encourage drink driving. Humes out!

Despite that particular incentive to delay some drivers departure apparently it still took others almost an hour to escape the car park.

One cause is the chaos now caused by people in cars illegally parking/stopping and picking up pedestrians in Stadium Way. The metal fencing all along the carriageway also forces pedestrians to cross just before David Lloyd. Hence all cars and most people now converge at the same point, when before, the majority of pedestrians departed in the opposite direction to the shuttle buses.

Frankly, the Stadium transport plan has collapsed. That's why we saw less than 5,000 attend for a top of the table clash despite 1,111 from Lincoln. Something simply has to be done about restoring buses that directly serve the Stadium even if that requires £2 cash EACH way per ticket to fund it (or £4.00 Rover or valid bus pass).
[Post edited 29 Oct 2018 16:15]
25% discount when the U's win on 17:50 - Oct 29 with 684 viewsLeadbelly

25% discount when the U's win on 16:12 - Oct 29 by noah4x4

Despite that particular incentive to delay some drivers departure apparently it still took others almost an hour to escape the car park.

One cause is the chaos now caused by people in cars illegally parking/stopping and picking up pedestrians in Stadium Way. The metal fencing all along the carriageway also forces pedestrians to cross just before David Lloyd. Hence all cars and most people now converge at the same point, when before, the majority of pedestrians departed in the opposite direction to the shuttle buses.

Frankly, the Stadium transport plan has collapsed. That's why we saw less than 5,000 attend for a top of the table clash despite 1,111 from Lincoln. Something simply has to be done about restoring buses that directly serve the Stadium even if that requires £2 cash EACH way per ticket to fund it (or £4.00 Rover or valid bus pass).
[Post edited 29 Oct 2018 16:15]

I heard the same complaints about leaving the car park taking almost an hour but I'm not sure using the park and ride is that much quicker.

Due to circumstances beyond my control I couldn't make it to the pub pre-match at the last game I attended (Crawley). Time was tight so I drove and used the park and ride. Getting in was easy, getting out was painfully slow. The barrier has to raise and lower for every car and it took well over 20 minutes to leave...and there were a lot of cars in the queue behind me. I dread to think how long it takes with a half decent attendance.

The situation around the ground does appear chaotic and the limited/absent stewarding post match does not help either. Now the clocks have gone back it will be several months before fans leave the ground in daylight after a game and I do fear there is a real chance of an accident occurring.

Cutting the shuttle buses has definitely stopped some fans attending games and whether it leads to an overall drop in attendance only time will tell but what seems evident to me is that the decision has created a mess that was avoidable and one about which local residents are unhappy. Further development is planned in the immediate vicinity of the ground and the triangle of land south of the A12 between Boxted Rd and the A134 is on the market and likely to be more housing. None of that is going to improve the situation.

I don't live within the borough of Colchester so have no right to contact the council but I do wonder what local councillors think about the situation. The travel plan was such an integral part of the development process and designed to avoid much of what is happening now. Perhaps it's only a matter of time before questions are asked.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

25% discount when the U's win on 19:58 - Oct 29 with 671 viewswessex_exile

Just as an aside on the P&R barrier, someone possibly somewhere must have been paying attention, because it was permanently open on Saturday. The queue to pay on arrival, however, was painfully slow...

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024