Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's to overcome Imps in order to be in Seventh Heaven 17:33 - May 3 with 2086 viewsdurham_exile

JM and his charges could be 90+ minutes away from extending their season providing they win at Sincil Bank, Newport lose at Morecambe and Exeter fail to beat FGR.

In fact, unless you reside on Planet Zarg that scenario is one that has been rehearsed and discussed in homes, bars, clubs and amongst Colchester aficionados ever since they deservedly defeated the MK Dons franchise last Saturday. I was privileged to be amongst the 5,000 that day to see Colchester not only do the double over the franchise, but also return to the form of those heady days prior to Christmas when automatic promotion looked assured.

Sammie Szmodics was unfettered by the lure of championship suitors, Courtney Senior showed real pace and determination and Frank Nouble demonstrated real skill and aggression in equal measure. Sam Saunders has proven to be a revelation since his arrival and in Ethan Ross we have a Goalkeeper who distributes the ball well, kicks impressively and commands his box. He is also not afraid to take free kicks from the half way line as he did in the first half last weekend.

Perhaps the footballing gods intervened in allowing Dillon Barnes rush of blood to the head at Huish Park. Probably it should have happened 3 months ago, and we would be celebrating already instead of relying on others to assist our progress.

Now lets get the Lincoln lovefest out of the way quickly. They have deservedly won the league and go up as Champions with only six league defeats (so far) this season.

At Sincil Bank only Crawley have taken maximum points, but they have lost five times away at Crewe, Carlisle, Colchester, Tranmere and Newport. Interestingly they have not won since securing the league title, which often happens to teams who having achieved the hard part then find themselves on the beach before the season is completed.

Now Cowley has in my opinion demonstrated some sour grapes this week in veiled threats against Colchester United after their impressive win in October against the Imps. He believed that we over celebrated the victory and is determined to show everyone who is really the greatest team in the history of football ever!!!!

That of course has piled the pressure onto his own team when they surely only wanted a gentle final game and then a lap of honour around Sincil Bank in front of a capacity crowd.

The onerous Matt Rhead, the ample John Akinde and the best defender in the league Cian Bolger (heavy sarcasm here) will be quaking that they have to go out and perform when the pina coladas are calling.

The faithful will number about 700 tomorrow and a good atmosphere is assured. JM knows that only a victory will do and preferably by 2 clear goals. I predict 3-1 to the Super U’s but what do I know!!!

The team selection will be critical for success though and not too dissimilar to last week.

Ross

Jackson Eastman Kent Dickenson

Senior Saunders Lapslie

Szmodics

Nouble Mandron

Subs:

Vose Chilvers Stevenson Eisa Norris Vincent-Young Kensdale

Thinking — Ethan Ross looked a natural last week, the back four pick themselves especially with Prosser out and a continuing nagging doubt against Kane Vincent-Young.

The good news last week was that for some minutes at least Ben Stevenson was back but I don’t think JM can play Stevenson, Lapslie and Saunders as a three in midfield because there must be a place for Senior.

A revitalised Sammie Szmodics to play just behind the immense Frank Nouble and the determined Mika Mandron.

Stevenson, Norris and Eisa to all get vital minutes from the bench second half.

Regarding tactics very similar to last week, take the game to the Imps from the start, Cowley has unnecessarily put his players under pressure by upping the stakes and asking them to prove their worth, when they have done that for 40 games this season.

We can do no more than gain the victory and hope that those two results go our way. It is as simple as that.

The weather in Lincoln will be somewhat different to last season when it was roasting hot — tomorrow will be 10 degrees Celsius and rain showers (60% precipitation) with a slight wind that will affect play.

No time for recriminations or regrets tomorrow, it's all about the performance and the victory. We can then see if 70 points is enough for seventh place.

Tomorrow will be poignant as we will remember the 56 people who lost their lives at Valley Parade in 1985. It really puts everything clearly into focus. RIP.

Safe journey to the 700 faithful.

Enjoy the game and get right behind the team. Keep the faith.

Up the U's

[Post edited 3 May 2019 20:23]

Durham_exile

Super U's to overcome Imps in order to be in Seventh Heaven on 10:33 - May 4 with 1436 viewsGOSBTS

Brilliant preview Durham. Agree with team selection. Was half tempted to go today as my mum lives near Grantham but decided to keep my powder dry for first leg of play offs - here’s hoping! Nervous and excited, but I ultimately think we’ll fall short due to other results. So so hope I’m wrong though!!
Super U's to overcome Imps in order to be in Seventh Heaven on 11:03 - May 4 with 1430 viewsgerry_us

I will be attending today but without expectations of progressing further. I have found over many years that putting too much faith in miracles with the U's is misplaced.
If the miracle happens, then hey ho, onwards and upwards but my major hope is that we retains the vast majority of the team for next season and some club approaches us to take McGreal...some hope though.
Super U's to overcome Imps in order to be in Seventh Heaven on 11:43 - May 4 with 1423 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to overcome Imps in order to be in Seventh Heaven on 11:03 - May 4 by gerry_us

I will be attending today but without expectations of progressing further. I have found over many years that putting too much faith in miracles with the U's is misplaced.
If the miracle happens, then hey ho, onwards and upwards but my major hope is that we retains the vast majority of the team for next season and some club approaches us to take McGreal...some hope though.

Safe travelling Gerry and the brave 700 - we can only do what we can do, and then see what the fates decide.

Up the U's!!!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Super U's to overcome Imps in order to be in Seventh Heaven on 14:30 - May 4 with 1393 viewsRSCOSWORTH

I wonder whether the chances of us making the Play Offs today are higher or lower than they were a few seasons ago when we needed to beat Preston and have other results go in our favour. As Col U fans at least our team keeps us interested until the final match of the season pretty often.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Super U's to overcome Imps in order to be in Seventh Heaven on 15:22 - May 4 with 1379 viewsmfb_cufc

Morecambe take the lead against Newport. Goal scored by former U's loanee Aaron Collins.
[Post edited 4 May 2019 15:34]

mfb

Super U's to overcome Imps in order to be in Seventh Heaven on 15:22 - May 4 with 1379 viewsGOSBTS

YESSSSS COL U 1-0 AND MORECAMBE WINNING!!!
Super U's to overcome Imps in order to be in Seventh Heaven on 15:25 - May 4 with 1374 viewsmfb_cufc

Dickenson gives the U's a deserved lead after dominating the first 20 minutes.

mfb

Super U's to overcome Imps in order to be in Seventh Heaven on 15:28 - May 4 with 1372 viewsmfb_cufc

2nd goal for the U's -Szmodics

5 shots on target in the first 27 minutes.
2 Bookings - Jackson (after 30 seconds) and Saunders.
[Post edited 4 May 2019 15:31]

mfb

Login to get fewer ads

Super U's to overcome Imps in order to be in Seventh Heaven on 15:29 - May 4 with 1370 viewsGOSBTS

YESSSSSS!!!!!! As it stands we’re in the playoffs
Super U's to overcome Imps in order to be in Seventh Heaven on 15:45 - May 4 with 1346 viewsGOSBTS

3-0!!!!
Super U's to overcome Imps in order to be in Seventh Heaven on 15:46 - May 4 with 1346 viewsmfb_cufc

Make that 3-0 to the U's. Unbelievable. Szmodics again after earlier hitting the post.

U's looking more like the Champions.
[Post edited 4 May 2019 15:48]

mfb

Super U's to overcome Imps in order to be in Seventh Heaven on 16:00 - May 4 with 1321 viewsMoor_Pinot

Unlucky not to be five up Mick. Excellent performance all round. Balanced team and with some ball control from Senior (he has precious little) we could have had many more attempts on goal as well. If we change nothing we should win deservedly.

Moor Pinot

Super U's to overcome Imps in order to be in Seventh Heaven on 16:54 - May 4 with 1294 viewsGOSBTS

Gutted, Newport are through.
Super U's to overcome Imps in order to be in Seventh Heaven on 17:07 - May 4 with 1281 viewsMadeira163

Close but not close enough
Think we all point to anyone of 5/6 games where we lost easy points
Super U's to overcome Imps in order to be in Seventh Heaven on 17:16 - May 4 with 1266 viewsbwildered

Does not matter if the first or the last minute - Never ever , ever , ever , ever , lets others do your dirty work .

The irony is that can do the double over the top two ,and drop points ....

Only got OURSELVES to blame .
[Post edited 4 May 2019 17:18]

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Super U's to overcome Imps in order to be in Seventh Heaven on 17:25 - May 4 with 1259 viewspwrightsknees

Super U's to overcome Imps in order to be in Seventh Heaven on 17:16 - May 4 by bwildered

Does not matter if the first or the last minute - Never ever , ever , ever , ever , lets others do your dirty work .

Quite right BW. We finished where we did because that's where we deserve to me. And as Mrs. PWK pointed out, a two-leg playoff semi-final and an unlikely 90/120 minutes at Wembley would do neither my blood pressure, nor my bank balance, any good at all.

Still, let' hope next season brings us lots of silverware.

Up the U's
Super U's to overcome Imps in order to be in Seventh Heaven on 17:46 - May 4 with 1247 viewsLeadbelly

Super U's to overcome Imps in order to be in Seventh Heaven on 17:16 - May 4 by bwildered

Wonder if JM is still happy with that point at Yeovil?

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Super U's to overcome Imps in order to be in Seventh Heaven on 18:45 - May 4 with 1197 viewsburnsieespana

To make it worse looks like Southend on course to stay up.
How we fouled up is beyond me after looking so good up to Xmas.
Super U's to overcome Imps in order to be in Seventh Heaven on 19:14 - May 4 with 1181 viewsGOSBTS

Allowed myself to hope when we went 2-0 up. Allowed myself to hope further still when I fell asleep at half time and woke up at 4.45pm with the U's on course for 7th.

Is this what it'll always be like being a Colchester supporter?
Super U's to overcome Imps in order to be in Seventh Heaven on 19:30 - May 4 with 1174 viewsburnsieespana

Short answer is yes and I have supported them since 1956!
Super U's to overcome Imps in order to be in Seventh Heaven on 19:30 - May 4 with 1173 viewsgerry_us

Super U's to overcome Imps in order to be in Seventh Heaven on 19:14 - May 4 by GOSBTS

Allowed myself to hope when we went 2-0 up. Allowed myself to hope further still when I fell asleep at half time and woke up at 4.45pm with the U's on course for 7th.

Is this what it'll always be like being a Colchester supporter?

No. Much more harrowing than this.
Super U's to overcome Imps in order to be in Seventh Heaven on 19:50 - May 4 with 1163 viewsburnsieespana

The club, players, management and fans will look back on this season and think what a missed opportunity.
Super U's to overcome Imps in order to be in Seventh Heaven on 20:20 - May 4 with 1149 viewsLeadbelly

Super U's to overcome Imps in order to be in Seventh Heaven on 19:50 - May 4 by burnsieespana

The club, players, management and fans will look back on this season and think what a missed opportunity.

Hopefully the chairman will think the same

Super U's to overcome Imps in order to be in Seventh Heaven on 20:41 - May 4 with 1137 viewsmfb_cufc

Super U's to overcome Imps in order to be in Seventh Heaven on 20:20 - May 4 by Leadbelly

Hopefully the chairman will think the same

I don't think he does because McGreal is talking about getting his transfer targets for next season in his after match interview. With the 12th highest budget in the League I am sure Cowling is pleased to have finished 8th.

mfb

Super U's to overcome Imps in order to be in Seventh Heaven on 20:57 - May 4 with 1126 viewsLeadbelly

Super U's to overcome Imps in order to be in Seventh Heaven on 20:41 - May 4 by mfb_cufc

I don't think he does because McGreal is talking about getting his transfer targets for next season in his after match interview. With the 12th highest budget in the League I am sure Cowling is pleased to have finished 8th.

I’m sure you’re right.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024