Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What do we do Saturdays now? 20:35 - Mar 13 with 2062 viewsgerry_us

Looks like gardening weather and smartening up the deck.
However, can't think what will replace MFB's Happy League report late on Saturday evening.
[Post edited 15 Mar 2020 20:26]
What do we do tomorrow now? on 23:00 - Mar 13 with 1343 viewsoxfcolu

Wife is happy being an old fashioned female stereotype football hater.It feels like the summer months without the sun.
What do we do tomorrow now? on 07:44 - Mar 14 with 1314 viewsnoah4x4

I am unable to attend the next three scheduled U's matches, so the unfortunate coronavirus break is a perverse bonus for me. Provided any rearrangements occur on (say) a Tuesday and don't clash with my cricket duties I now have a chance of missing none. But it's still a crisis.

The lack of cash flow for Macclesfield and Southend must be a disaster for them. How long before Players are out selling the "Big Issue"?

What will Sky Sports and BT Sports TV offer with no footie? However, National League is still on. Will (say) Notts County have a record crowd due to no other local EFL football? How does that going ahead make sense?
What do we do tomorrow now? on 08:56 - Mar 14 with 1306 viewsMoor_Pinot

What do we do tomorrow now? on 07:44 - Mar 14 by noah4x4

I am unable to attend the next three scheduled U's matches, so the unfortunate coronavirus break is a perverse bonus for me. Provided any rearrangements occur on (say) a Tuesday and don't clash with my cricket duties I now have a chance of missing none. But it's still a crisis.

The lack of cash flow for Macclesfield and Southend must be a disaster for them. How long before Players are out selling the "Big Issue"?

What will Sky Sports and BT Sports TV offer with no footie? However, National League is still on. Will (say) Notts County have a record crowd due to no other local EFL football? How does that going ahead make sense?

I wondered that too Noah, will step 3,4&5 sides with sub 500 crowds see a boost to their finances. I'd certainly go as the Non lg experience is generally very pleasant. Here Macron has banned gatherings of more than 100, so were Johnson to do likewise then obviously non leagues wouldn't benefit. I wonder why the National League are different, Notts County would usually double our home crowd wouldn't they!?

Moor Pinot

What do we do tomorrow now? on 12:11 - Mar 14 with 1290 viewsburnsieespana

Living in Spain not a lot since all bars, restaurants, public events such as markets, gym's, swimming pools and even parks are shut from midnight for 15 days!
The hateful spring cleaning will not doubt erupt before long in my house but hey no fear for a few weeks looking at the scores as the game progresses so every cloud and all that!
Everybody keep safe and avoid public places as much as possible.
What do we do tomorrow now? on 17:14 - Mar 14 with 1270 viewsdurham_exile

Halifax v Ebbsfleet just about to kick off.

Ebbsfleet led by Kevin Watson. Decent crowd at the Shay should be an interesting game.

On BT Sport

UTU's

Durham_exile

What do we do tomorrow now? on 17:30 - Mar 14 with 1268 viewsbwildered

Just has well there was no winter break !
Whenever footie resumes ,must be right to finally finish the leagues to there conclusion . No part finish please , is only fair. Perhaps cancel play offs if dates are tight.
The Euros can wait until next summer .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

What do we do tomorrow now? on 19:32 - Mar 14 with 1256 viewsdurham_exile

What do we do tomorrow now? on 17:14 - Mar 14 by durham_exile

Halifax v Ebbsfleet just about to kick off.

Ebbsfleet led by Kevin Watson. Decent crowd at the Shay should be an interesting game.

On BT Sport

UTU's

Ebbsfleet deservedly won 1-0

Bizarre though some games called off because of the virus some went ahead.

I cannot see the National league being allowed to continue to play when all other leagues have postponed fixtures.

UTU's

Durham_exile

What do we do tomorrow now? on 21:28 - Mar 14 with 1247 viewsLeadbelly

What do we do tomorrow now? on 07:44 - Mar 14 by noah4x4

Just under 5,000 at Notts County today. More than many games in League 2 would have generated had they been played.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Login to get fewer ads

What do we do tomorrow now? on 22:23 - Mar 14 with 1240 viewsGOSBTS

What a peculiar day. I read a brilliant a brilliant article in the Telegraph by Jim White. He cited Andrew Marr owing his wide array of knowledge of politics, literature and the arts due to not being a sports fan. White went on to explain how consumed a sports fan's life is by the game. Hence why today was very odd, especially around 3pm, but also weirdly nice as it felt like I gained a few hours of my weekend back that usually is devoted to football!

Having said that, I am desperate for the sport to return and sincerely hope that the season isn't cancelled/made void and returns for completion, even if it is in June/July.
What do we do tomorrow now? on 22:47 - Mar 14 with 1233 viewsgerry_us

Its going to be a long and scary few months if all sports programmes are going to be replaced by repeats of Mrs. Brown's Boy's.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
What do we do tomorrow now? on 23:27 - Mar 14 with 1228 viewsdurham_exile

What do we do tomorrow now? on 22:47 - Mar 14 by gerry_us

Its going to be a long and scary few months if all sports programmes are going to be replaced by repeats of Mrs. Brown's Boy's.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I agree a total drag!

Durham_exile

What do we do tomorrow now? on 00:47 - Mar 15 with 1220 viewsnoah4x4

Today, I was supposed to be on the 16.05 Heathrow flight to Amman, Jordan. At 15:40, Jordan went into lock down and I was prevented from travelling.

All credit to Tui that has already offered a 100% refund.

The World is shutting down for 14 days. Maybe no bad thing.

Instead, I have had a great time with my buddies down the pub!

14 days loss of football is zilch in the grand plan.
What do we do tomorrow now? on 01:22 - Mar 15 with 1213 viewswessex_exile

What do we do tomorrow now? on 00:47 - Mar 15 by noah4x4

Today, I was supposed to be on the 16.05 Heathrow flight to Amman, Jordan. At 15:40, Jordan went into lock down and I was prevented from travelling.

Glad you got your money back Noah. Very small beer by comparison, but I’d already booked train tickets from GWR for me and my youngest to travel over for our match at Newport next Saturday. I’ve obviously cancelled these now, but unless GWR choose to relax their refund policy, they stand to profit by £10 from me and everyone else who understandably have to cancel travel plans in these most extraordinary of circumstances. GWR’s approach to customer service is in the pits, so I’m not optimistic...

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

What do we do tomorrow now? on 08:54 - Mar 15 with 1205 viewsLeadbelly

What do we do tomorrow now? on 01:22 - Mar 15 by wessex_exile

Glad you got your money back Noah. Very small beer by comparison, but I’d already booked train tickets from GWR for me and my youngest to travel over for our match at Newport next Saturday. I’ve obviously cancelled these now, but unless GWR choose to relax their refund policy, they stand to profit by £10 from me and everyone else who understandably have to cancel travel plans in these most extraordinary of circumstances. GWR’s approach to customer service is in the pits, so I’m not optimistic...

I’m possibly in a similar boat Wessex. GWR tickets and hotel booked for Wednesday and Thursday next week for a site visit. Client told me on Friday they may have to close the site to all but essential visits. We’ll see what happens.

What do we do tomorrow now? on 09:09 - Mar 15 with 1205 viewsnoah4x4

Indeed Wessex. Refunds are going to be a problem where people have purchased inflexible discounted tickets, but I suppose their terms and conditions are not unfair. However, if a significant loss, it's worth checking if you have any form of 'free' travel insurance via (say) your bank account.

More generally, unless one already has travel insurance (I have an annual Worldwide policy including "natural disaster" cover), it is now impossible to buy insurance without a Coronavirus exclusion.

Again, I can't praise Tui too highly for offering a refund without hesitation and Jet2 turning around en-route to Spain was (IMHO) sensible. I think many countries and airlines are being wise too. My daughter works as senior cabin crew and has been laid off for three weeks. Basically, it seems that the travel industry is heading towards a brief voluntary lock down, which could be the wisest step

However, how that is being implemented in some destinations is a worry. My ex-wife (also in the travel industry) is stuck in the USA struggling to get home amid the airport chaos that Trump' s airport located coronavirus testing has caused; whereby they now have a huge assembly of people queuing on airport concourses. It is feared it is the new breeding ground.

By contrast, yesterday, Heathrow was empty. Zero queues at passport control as ever more airlines have stopped flying inward to Britain. While others (like my flight with Royal Jordanian) are orderly refusing to take out UK residents and are only repatriating indigenous people that will be tested/quarantined on arrival, but OFF airport premises (that is how policy differs from the USA, the UK is similar with similar quarantine of inbound passengers from virus hot spots) . Jordan has only a single Coronavirus case (a passenger from Italy) and temporary closing all of its borders and quarantine of inbound indigenous passengers gives it a fighting chance of isolating this.

I personally think that similarly, all elderly/vulnerable possibly need to go into voluntary lock down for at least two to six weeks. This obviously isn't possible for those that need to work, but the younger generation appear able to survive this. Assuming there is 'herd immunity', if all the youngsters get it, survive it and it passes out of circulation like annual flu virus, we have a better chance of surviving this.

But panic buying in supermarkets by young selfish, healthy people is a real problem. Despite being in an elderly/vulnerable category, I have been unable to obtain any hand sanitizer or work top sterilisation spray having run out (I use this routinely). People are struggling to get some non-prescriptive medicines because young healthy people have cleared the shelves. Kids, generally considered non-vulnerable are now complaining of cracked hands from the over use of hand sanitizer!

I say keep schools open! We don't want these very young bug and virus spreaders being dumped on elderly vulnerable grandparents. Keep football going, but broadcast LIVE over I-Follow at £10 per match.. The young can then gain herd immunity by mingling in the south stand whilst the elderly/vulnerable stay protected at home and can watch on TV. Three to six weeks of lockdown , and we might beat this.
[Post edited 15 Mar 2020 9:13]
What do we do tomorrow now? on 09:48 - Mar 15 with 1198 viewspwrightsknees

Good post Noah.

To reinforce what you say, and as I said in another thread yesterday, Mrs. PWK and I are both 73 making us elderly and vulnerable, and my lung condition makes me particularly so.

Our elder daughter travels extensively on London Underground, so doesn't want to pass on anything which she may pick up. Our son has been travelling frequently to Warsaw, although his employer has put a temporary stop to that, and he doesn't want to pass on anything that he may already have picked up. In the meantime our younger daughter is recovering from a recent hysterectomy, so we are all keeping clear of her for now.

Consequently, Mrs. PWK and I both went into voluntary self-isolation from the end of last week. It's not just a question of protecting ourselves, but thinking of others, too.

Up the training hard (I hope) U's
What do we do tomorrow now? on 10:24 - Mar 15 with 1192 viewsburnsieespana

What do we do tomorrow now? on 00:47 - Mar 15 by noah4x4

Was in Jordan myself over Christmas & the New Year Noah. If you have not been before a great place so try to go once things are sorted out as well worth visiting.
What do we do tomorrow now? on 10:37 - Mar 15 with 1189 viewsmfb_cufc

What do we do tomorrow now? on 22:47 - Mar 14 by gerry_us

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I quite agree Gerry. I thought it would be a good idea to replace Match Of The Day with a repeat of that programme from pre Premier League times, to remind us all what football was like when played on a more level playing field, rather than the more money dominated times of today.

mfb

What do we do tomorrow now? on 16:40 - Mar 15 with 1156 viewsnoah4x4

If, as hinted on the Andrew Marr show today, persons (say) in receipt of a State Pension (or the similarly vulnerable) will soon be encouraged to stay home for some weeks, that would be eminently sensible if, as further suggested by Robbie Cowling, season ticket holders can watch (live) for free on I-Follow and others pay perhaps £10 per match. I feel that is an excellent solution as younger folk are not dying. I already pay an I-Follow subscription and have a ST.

I thought it interesting how McGreal has spoken out against playing games behind closed doors, but today, Cowling suggested it was feasible with I-Follow. That suggests to me that contrary to popular myth, McGreal is able to voice his own opinions and that our club finances could stand the strain of no gate revenue and merely I-Follow subscriptions for a temporary period.

However, I foresee cricket will soon be facing a major crisis. Stewards, Scorers, Umpires and indeed a majority of spectators at County Championship games are typically over 65. The One Day competitions attended by a younger average age spectator are generally later in the season. It's the infrastructure that will creak if elderly staff are forced to self isolate.
What do we do tomorrow now? on 17:28 - Mar 15 with 1144 viewsLeadbelly

What do we do tomorrow now? on 16:40 - Mar 15 by noah4x4

If, as hinted on the Andrew Marr show today, persons (say) in receipt of a State Pension (or the similarly vulnerable) will soon be encouraged to stay home for some weeks, that would be eminently sensible if, as further suggested by Robbie Cowling, season ticket holders can watch (live) for free on I-Follow and others pay perhaps £10 per match. I feel that is an excellent solution as younger folk are not dying. I already pay an I-Follow subscription and have a ST.

I thought it interesting how McGreal has spoken out against playing games behind closed doors, but today, Cowling suggested it was feasible with I-Follow. That suggests to me that contrary to popular myth, McGreal is able to voice his own opinions and that our club finances could stand the strain of no gate revenue and merely I-Follow subscriptions for a temporary period.

However, I foresee cricket will soon be facing a major crisis. Stewards, Scorers, Umpires and indeed a majority of spectators at County Championship games are typically over 65. The One Day competitions attended by a younger average age spectator are generally later in the season. It's the infrastructure that will creak if elderly staff are forced to self isolate.

Bought my first ever Essex membership a month ago. Wonder how much use that will get now?

What do we do tomorrow now? on 18:19 - Mar 15 with 1137 viewsnoah4x4

What do we do tomorrow now? on 17:28 - Mar 15 by Leadbelly

Bought my first ever Essex membership a month ago. Wonder how much use that will get now?

Unlike Col Utd footie season tickets, with Essex Cricket Membership, you don't need to attend 90% of the days of play to get good value.

At typically £15 per day on the gate, attend merely 13 days of play with a membership and the rest are "free", plus you get privilege status over the purchase of Blast and similar fixtures. I suspect that despite the coronavirus crisis you will enjoy good value, provided the nation gets on top of it quickly. You also won't have any difficulty in sitting two metres from another spectator for most county championship games.

However, ticket sales for Ireland v Bangladesh T20 at Chelmsford scheduled on 24 May have been suspended. Not encouraging!
[Post edited 15 Mar 2020 18:20]
What do we do tomorrow now? on 18:29 - Mar 15 with 1130 viewsburnsieespana

As a matter of interest did anybody go and watch any other team play yesterday?
What do we do tomorrow now? on 19:37 - Mar 15 with 1120 viewsgerry_us

Hopefully the first thing to be cancelled this summer will be the horrible new cricket 100 tournament. It's not cricket as I know it!
What do we do tomorrow now? on 20:17 - Mar 15 with 1114 viewsburnsieespana

What do we do tomorrow now? on 19:37 - Mar 15 by gerry_us

Hopefully the first thing to be cancelled this summer will be the horrible new cricket 100 tournament. It's not cricket as I know it!

Agree with that the 100 is such a silly idea. Why keep tinkering and will foul up the 20/20 "which in itself is not 'proper cricket'.
Hey ho what do we old folks know!
What do we do Saturdays now? on 20:55 - Mar 15 with 1096 viewsnoah4x4

No "Hundred" at Chelmsford except for women.

Few Essex players involved in games elsewhere. Similarly, Division One and T20 champions yet no Essex England Test, ODI or T20 representatives despite Chris Silverwoods involvement at international level. I find that odd.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024