Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Childhood TV memories...or not 10:31 - Jun 25 with 1561 viewsLeadbelly

I can't remember how or why this was a topic of conversation at home last night but my good lady amazed me by having no recollection of "The Singing Ringing Tree". Shown repeatedly by the BBC during school holidays, I remember it as being pretty scary when I was a lad.

Pleased to report Mrs L was aware of "The Flashing Blade" (great theme tune) and "The White Horses" (memorable theme tune but not really my thing)

I also recall endless Laurel & Hardy during school holidays which, in my opinion, was no bad thing. One of my stepson's friends asked me recently if I'd heard of L & H, which was very sweet. Turns out he discovered them last year and is completely hooked. Form is temporary, class is permanent.

Whilst buying my coffee at Manningtree station this morning Chris Evans (I assume) was playing the theme tune from the Banana Splits. Now that was a good programme and a top tune to boot.

Happy days indeed...

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Childhood TV memories...or not on 18:31 - Jun 25 with 1540 viewswessex_exile

By a spooky coincidence, I posted about The Flashing Blade on my FB page less than a week ago. My roommate at work bought me the DVD of all 12 episodes, and my 8 year old son sat down and devoured all 12 episodes virtually in one sitting - he loved it!

School hols as a kid meant one thing for me, Harryhausen movies!

Scariest for me (apart from Doctor Who naturally) was The Children of the Stones (the one set in Avebury). Bizarre really, considering how my career eventually panned out...

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Childhood TV memories...or not on 19:51 - Jun 25 with 1530 viewsbwildered

How about some dubbed programme from the eastern bloc featuring a King and a golden egg .

Some bearded bloke on a island .

Scary .... The witch in Paulus the woodgnone .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Childhood TV memories...or not on 20:00 - Jun 25 with 1529 viewseagledares

lunchtimes, for 1/2 hour or so
trumpton
bill and ben
tales from the riverbank
the woodentops
the herbgarden (or was it the herbs?)
Childhood TV memories...or not on 20:14 - Jun 25 with 1525 viewsbwildered

Lunchtimes .

Camberwick Green
Mary, Mungo and Midge
Mr Benn ( Ringtone on my mobile ) everyone asks .

Teatime

Magic Roundabout
Hectors House
Capt Pugwash

And how about The Double Deckers , there was always a brainy and fat one in every gang !

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Childhood TV memories...or not on 23:20 - Jun 25 with 1520 viewsdurham_exile

Woodentops, Andy Pandy, Noggin the Nog, Magic Roundabout, Captain Pugwash,
Blue Peter, Magpie (Susan Stranks - enough said)
Can't quite remember Muffin the Muel - not sure if that is an offence!)
Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet, Supercar, Fireball XL5, Stingray, Champion the Wonderhorse, Lone Ranger, UFO (the Angels), Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends (Ringo Starr).

Good Times!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Childhood TV memories...or not on 06:31 - Jun 26 with 1515 viewsnoah4x4

Seems odd Susan Stranks has enjoyed more adoration in here than Kem Izzet.

But her breasts deffo best childhood TV memory Durham!
Childhood TV memories...or not on 11:02 - Jun 26 with 1508 viewsburnsieespana

"Head em up and move em out" from Wagon Train is what I recall most as think I was 13 when we had our first TV!
Childhood TV memories...or not on 16:18 - Jun 27 with 1485 viewscarruthers

I recall my dad buying a tv for the coronation to pull punters into our pub, when i got home from school, St Johns Green, a crowd gathered to watch the aerial being put up, My first programme was Muffin the Mule then Andy Pandy then the Flowerpot men. most of the time tv was closed.
Login to get fewer ads

Childhood TV memories...or not on 16:26 - Jun 27 with 1483 viewsLeadbelly

Childhood TV memories...or not on 16:18 - Jun 27 by carruthers

I recall my dad buying a tv for the coronation to pull punters into our pub, when i got home from school, St Johns Green, a crowd gathered to watch the aerial being put up, My first programme was Muffin the Mule then Andy Pandy then the Flowerpot men. most of the time tv was closed.

My stepson is 10 and really doesn't believe me or his mother(who is far more reliable when it comes to "facts"!) when we tell him we had just 3 channels to watch when we were his age...and that they weren't available for large parts of the day.

Childhood TV memories...or not on 18:13 - Jun 27 with 1478 viewsburnsieespana

Bit like buying broken biscuits from woolies......my kids think I am mad when I say it was the highlight of the week!
Childhood TV memories...or not on 18:24 - Jun 27 with 1475 viewswessex_exile

Childhood TV memories...or not on 18:13 - Jun 27 by burnsieespana

Bit like buying broken biscuits from woolies......my kids think I am mad when I say it was the highlight of the week!

Or a bag of scraps from the chippy on a Friday evening, gangs of kids out roaming in packs well into twilight, playing hide and seek, off-ground touch or knock and run...

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Childhood TV memories...or not on 01:44 - Jul 3 with 1444 viewsBarsidepete

Childhood TV memories...or not on 16:18 - Jun 27 by carruthers

My pop had John Wayne Movies on, or war flicks like The Great Escape or The Bridge Over the River Kwai, or M*A*S*H, the series with Hawkeye and Hotlips Houlihan, and Trapper,.. or Sanford and Son (the American reformulation of Steptoe and Son)..

I was a huge fan of the Flintstones, The Avengers, anything Monty Python (especially Monty Python and the Holy Grail and the Life of Brian.. took one of my first ever serious girlfriends to see Caveman, starring Ringo Starr, Dennis Quaid and Shelley Long.. she laughed so hard out loud that people were paying more attention to us at times than the actual film, haha:D

Charlie's Angels, Jetsons, I Love Lucy, Bewitched, Wild Wild West, Star Trek with Shatner and Nimoy, Fawlty Towers, .. that's the immediate top of my head.

Not sure I answered the question, but tried to @=)

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Childhood TV memories...or not on 10:16 - Jul 4 with 1421 viewsgerry_us

Someone recently told me that the characters Seaman Stains and Master Bates in Captain Pugwash were not real............ahhhhhhhhhh!
Childhood TV memories...or not on 10:50 - Jul 4 with 1418 viewsLeadbelly

Childhood TV memories...or not on 10:16 - Jul 4 by gerry_us

Someone recently told me that the characters Seaman Stains and Master Bates in Captain Pugwash were not real............ahhhhhhhhhh!

I fear Roger the cabin boy also failed to make an appearance.

Childhood TV memories...or not on 14:20 - Jul 4 with 1417 viewsAFCMorant

Remember all of those, the Singing Ringing Tree was East German wasn't it? Very sinister. + Belle and Sebastian and Robinson Crusoe.
The version of Banana Splits was probably by the Dickies (on yellow vinyl of course!)
Childhood TV memories...or not on 15:50 - Jul 4 with 1413 viewsLeadbelly

Childhood TV memories...or not on 14:20 - Jul 4 by AFCMorant

Remember all of those, the Singing Ringing Tree was East German wasn't it? Very sinister. + Belle and Sebastian and Robinson Crusoe.
The version of Banana Splits was probably by the Dickies (on yellow vinyl of course!)

The Dickies version is, of course, excellent but it was the actual theme from the show that was on the radio. Also very good.

Childhood TV memories...or not on 18:43 - Jul 4 with 1407 viewsdurham_exile

Childhood TV memories...or not on 10:16 - Jul 4 by gerry_us

But what about these exclamations from the salty old sea dog!

"Dolloping doubloons/dolphins!"
"Coddling catfish!"
"Lolloping landlubbers!"
"Suffering seagulls!"
"Staggering stalactites!"
"Nautical nitwits!"
"Plundering porpoises!"
"Kipper me capstans!"
"Tottering turtles!"
"Dithering dogfish!"
"Scuttling cuttlefish!"
"Stuttering starfish!"
"Blistering barnacles!"

Up the nautical U's

Durham_exile

Childhood TV memories...or not on 21:38 - Jul 4 with 1402 viewsFruitbat

Childhood TV memories...or not on 14:20 - Jul 4 by AFCMorant

I have the 7" - yellow vinyl, picture sleeve!
Childhood TV memories...or not on 23:02 - Jul 4 with 1397 viewsBarsidepete

Childhood TV memories...or not on 21:38 - Jul 4 by Fruitbat

I have the 7" - yellow vinyl, picture sleeve!

lol:D .. seriously, no words:D

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024