Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Harry looking to play a back 3 this season. 22:30 - Jul 17 with 9053 viewsHAYESBOY

Stated on SSN.

Explains the chase for centre halves, but............

Who plays wing back?

Traore is a natural on the left, but Simpson on the right?

Could Phillips play there? Rules out 2 up front?

Be interesting to see first friendly.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Harry looking to play a back 3 this season. on 22:31 - Jul 17 with 6353 viewsrosseeles

Simpson gets forward a fair bit and puts in a good cross, so he'd fit there no problem
Harry looking to play a back 3 this season. on 22:35 - Jul 17 with 6316 viewsMatch82

Think it might make 2 up front more likely if anything.

Wing backs getting forward probably offsets the need for two "wide forwards" which have been so in vogue recently, although I guess NL played a version of this in the world cup.

Assuming Simpson and Traore (or Yun) are the two wing backs, it's probably a middle 3 and two up top.

I'd assume something like:
Barton-Junior/Phillips-Faurlin
Austin-Remy/New striker

With Junior/Phillips having a floating role. Morrisson, or Adel, would also seem well cut out for this.
Harry looking to play a back 3 this season. on 22:46 - Jul 17 with 6255 viewsSpiritofGregory

Harry looking to play a back 3 this season. on 22:31 - Jul 17 by rosseeles

Simpson gets forward a fair bit and puts in a good cross, so he'd fit there no problem

Bit worried about Simpson, he was all over the place during the play off final.
Harry looking to play a back 3 this season. on 22:50 - Jul 17 with 6236 viewssdm1508

I think Harry wants something like Onhua, Ferdiand and Caulker. Two holding players, one being Barton and maybe Fer from Norwich if rumours are to believed. Would give us more legs in the middle two.

If Remy stays then I think Austin and him up front, with maybe Phillips given a free role. Then wing backs of Traore/Yun and Simpson. If remy goes maybe Austin up top with Phillips and Hoilett/Traore playing off him.

Ferdinand was originally a ball playing centre back, who like to come out from the back with ball (West Ham and Leeds). He stopped doing this when at Man U. I think Harry will want him playing as a sweeper slight deeper than the rest. Watching the play build up and organising the defence
Harry looking to play a back 3 this season. on 23:46 - Jul 17 with 6097 viewsLoftusRdW12

I'm no footballing expert.

If you're going to play 3 at the back, then isn't versatility the key?

Not signing a bunch of centre halves.

Look at Chile (scroll down for formation).

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/06/08/marcelo-bielsa-chile-world-cup-2010-tacti

I thought midfield was the key to their success.
[Post edited 17 Jul 2014 23:47]

"I still don't know who scored our first and third goals. I'll have a look tonight." Neil Warnock

Harry looking to play a back 3 this season. on 23:58 - Jul 17 with 6055 viewsMatch82

Harry looking to play a back 3 this season. on 23:46 - Jul 17 by LoftusRdW12

I'm no footballing expert.

If you're going to play 3 at the back, then isn't versatility the key?

Not signing a bunch of centre halves.

Look at Chile (scroll down for formation).

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/06/08/marcelo-bielsa-chile-world-cup-2010-tacti

I thought midfield was the key to their success.
[Post edited 17 Jul 2014 23:47]

Chile is the exception rather than the rule though.
The Dutch did it with 3 centre halves more traditionally and were very succesful
Harry looking to play a back 3 this season. on 00:08 - Jul 18 with 6034 viewsCHUBBS

Harry looking to play a back 3 this season. on 22:35 - Jul 17 by Match82

Think it might make 2 up front more likely if anything.

Wing backs getting forward probably offsets the need for two "wide forwards" which have been so in vogue recently, although I guess NL played a version of this in the world cup.

Assuming Simpson and Traore (or Yun) are the two wing backs, it's probably a middle 3 and two up top.

I'd assume something like:
Barton-Junior/Phillips-Faurlin
Austin-Remy/New striker

With Junior/Phillips having a floating role. Morrisson, or Adel, would also seem well cut out for this.

Good assessment,with the ready made versatility pace and power of Traore we'd be half way there once the 3 centre halves are sorted.
Not so sure about Simpson who i just can't see fitting into the role.
Has he ever played it before?
Harry looking to play a back 3 this season. on 00:10 - Jul 18 with 6021 viewsJigsore

like I said in the other thread, I bet you we'll be back to 4-4-2 before the start of October

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Login to get fewer ads

Harry looking to play a back 3 this season. on 00:16 - Jul 18 with 6011 viewsLoftusRdW12

Harry looking to play a back 3 this season. on 23:58 - Jul 17 by Match82

Chile is the exception rather than the rule though.
The Dutch did it with 3 centre halves more traditionally and were very succesful

Good point, but I still think midfield is key.

"I still don't know who scored our first and third goals. I'll have a look tonight." Neil Warnock

Harry looking to play a back 3 this season. on 00:43 - Jul 18 with 5950 viewsNov77

H on talksport tonight

http://talksport.com/football/exclusive-manchester-united-will-not-win-title-nex

Talks about back 3, caulker, captaincy etc.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Harry looking to play a back 3 this season. on 00:53 - Jul 18 with 5931 viewsozexile

Harry looking to play a back 3 this season. on 00:43 - Jul 18 by Nov77

H on talksport tonight

http://talksport.com/football/exclusive-manchester-united-will-not-win-title-nex

Talks about back 3, caulker, captaincy etc.

Traore will miss 3 out of 4 games. Ferdinand roughly the same. It'll be a back 4.
Harry looking to play a back 3 this season. on 07:17 - Jul 18 with 5788 viewsjamois

There's been a lot of rumour this summer about HR signing a quality right back. I was surprised yet we've been linked with 1 or 2 who are, in theory a lot better than Simpson, like Aurier. And more attacking too. So perhaps it lends credibility to the back 3 idea.

Poll: What's our back 4 for Wembley?

Harry looking to play a back 3 this season. on 07:32 - Jul 18 with 5739 viewsfacto

cant see capn clint playing much this season!
Harry looking to play a back 3 this season. on 09:03 - Jul 18 with 5601 viewspaulparker

TBF I called it a few weeks back that HR would play 3-5-2 or 3-5-1-1
Rio will play the sweeper like Gullit did at chelscum & Hoddle did at Swindon
would like us to go for a shelvey, Delph or Ki at Swansea to go with Barton and I think we can be very hard to beat next year

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Harry looking to play a back 3 this season. on 09:08 - Jul 18 with 5583 viewsPommyhoop

Harry looking to play a back 3 this season. on 09:03 - Jul 18 by paulparker

TBF I called it a few weeks back that HR would play 3-5-2 or 3-5-1-1
Rio will play the sweeper like Gullit did at chelscum & Hoddle did at Swindon
would like us to go for a shelvey, Delph or Ki at Swansea to go with Barton and I think we can be very hard to beat next year

With you on Ki PP. Great player. We nearly got him once didnt we? Or was he playing us like Hooper did?

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Harry looking to play a back 3 this season. on 09:10 - Jul 18 with 5578 viewsade_qpr

Harry looking to play a back 3 this season. on 07:32 - Jul 18 by facto

cant see capn clint playing much this season!

Wouldn't be surprised if he knows it as well. Signed as a back up and good calming influence in the dressing room. Still a good signing for me.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2014 9:11]

If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

Harry looking to play a back 3 this season. on 09:17 - Jul 18 with 5558 viewsMedwayR

I can see a back 5 of Simpson-Onouha-Ferdinand-Caulker-Yun/Traore with Ferdinand in a sweeper role & the full-backs as wing-backs. A midfield of Phillips-Barton-Fer?-Hoilett with the wide men pushing up to support Remy or Austin up front.

That look a solid team to me which should be capable of staying up & only requires 3 new players so wouldn't be too disruptive unlike last time when we basically had a completely new team. Obviously the squad would be a bit think so we'd probably need half a dozen squad players come in depending on who leaves.

Poll: Who’s better?

Harry looking to play a back 3 this season. on 09:22 - Jul 18 with 5543 viewspaulparker

Harry looking to play a back 3 this season. on 09:08 - Jul 18 by Pommyhoop

With you on Ki PP. Great player. We nearly got him once didnt we? Or was he playing us like Hooper did?

think we had a fee agreed a few seasons back Pom, but I don't think we pushed the boat all out to sign him, shame he done well at Sunderland last year, good passer& has a great shot on him
BTW Pom I maybe going to Auz in Jan (depending on work etc ) , hopefully stopping in Karanga for a week, so we should hook up for a pint or 2

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Harry looking to play a back 3 this season. on 09:25 - Jul 18 with 5524 viewsPommyhoop

Harry looking to play a back 3 this season. on 09:22 - Jul 18 by paulparker

think we had a fee agreed a few seasons back Pom, but I don't think we pushed the boat all out to sign him, shame he done well at Sunderland last year, good passer& has a great shot on him
BTW Pom I maybe going to Auz in Jan (depending on work etc ) , hopefully stopping in Karanga for a week, so we should hook up for a pint or 2

Yeah mate ( Its Kallangur )
No worries .PM me nearer the time...

Harry looking to play a back 3 this season. on 09:26 - Jul 18 with 5522 viewsWestbourneR

This is a terrible idea. Can't believe it's true.

And Simpson is no wing back.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Harry looking to play a back 3 this season. on 09:28 - Jul 18 with 5519 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I don't buy it. Firstly, because it's redknapp selling it, secondly, because it's not his form and thirdly because if you were going to sign a centre-half or two this would be a good line to throw out there.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Harry looking to play a back 3 this season. on 09:33 - Jul 18 with 5495 viewsPommyhoop

Harry looking to play a back 3 this season. on 09:28 - Jul 18 by BrianMcCarthy

I don't buy it. Firstly, because it's redknapp selling it, secondly, because it's not his form and thirdly because if you were going to sign a centre-half or two this would be a good line to throw out there.

Yep I know what you mean Brian.A handy way to squeeze in a couple of centre backs including one of his 'boys'. I'm all for healthy competition in a squad and if Rio still cuts it at his age then fair enough.But I can see him squeezing Ned out just cos he's H's boy and that would be so wrong.

Harry looking to play a back 3 this season. on 09:43 - Jul 18 with 5460 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Harry looking to play a back 3 this season. on 09:33 - Jul 18 by Pommyhoop

Yep I know what you mean Brian.A handy way to squeeze in a couple of centre backs including one of his 'boys'. I'm all for healthy competition in a squad and if Rio still cuts it at his age then fair enough.But I can see him squeezing Ned out just cos he's H's boy and that would be so wrong.

Pom,

I think that's the way of every manager if they're in doubt - to go with who they know, who they've persuaded the owners to pay for, and who they've told the fans are quality. Hard to turn around and admit to yourself and others that the new bed you bought is actually worse than the one you've flung in the garage. If it comes to a fight for places, Ned may have to work harder than the new boys to stay in the team. It's the norm, really, isn't it?

I'm dubious we'll ever play three at the back, but I might be wrong of course. Have any of our coaches ever worked with that system before? Taught defensive line, picking up men and offside to a back three? I don't know myself. I suppose they might have.

Harry looking to play a back 3 this season. on 09:43 - Jul 18 with 5459 viewsdaveB

Harry looking to play a back 3 this season. on 09:28 - Jul 18 by BrianMcCarthy

He's played a at back 3 at West ham , Portsmouth and with us in the past so I think thats what he is going to do. Most of the threat from Premier league teams is through the middle so that extra body in there forces teams to go wide and lose their threat. Hull did it very well last season
Harry looking to play a back 3 this season. on 09:46 - Jul 18 with 5440 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Harry looking to play a back 3 this season. on 09:43 - Jul 18 by daveB

He's played a at back 3 at West ham , Portsmouth and with us in the past so I think thats what he is going to do. Most of the threat from Premier league teams is through the middle so that extra body in there forces teams to go wide and lose their threat. Hull did it very well last season

I thought Hull did it well, and I like it, but I had the feeling, Dave (based on a sketchy memory!) that West Ham and certainly Spurs were more predominantly a flat back four team, no?

I don't think I ever saw Pompey under Redknapp.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024