Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Phillips 13:41 - Jul 4 with 15389 viewseghamranger

Fee agreed...5.5 million... On sky

Get in!!!!
Phillips on 11:18 - Jul 6 with 2741 viewsrsonist

Stoke’s technical director Nicky Hammond added: “He’s a great acquisition because he adds to the versatility within the group. He gives us both wide positions and is also able to play as a central striker. We’re absolutely delighted to welcome Matt to the club.”

Phillips on 11:26 - Jul 6 with 2685 viewsqueensparker

Have West Brom still got Ricky Lambert? I would have thought a Phillips/Lambert combination will be pretty useful if they can both get firing.

While he was massively disappointing in the second half of last season, I think we're going to miss Phillips a lot more than people realise. There's virtually no goal threat at all in this squad at the moment. El-K/Petrasso/Mackie won't be anywhere near good enough out wide
Phillips on 11:36 - Jul 6 with 2648 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Phillips on 11:17 - Jul 6 by rsonist

Newsnow showing headlines in quick succession pricing him and £5m, £5.5m and £6m.

£16.5 million?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Phillips on 11:37 - Jul 6 with 2634 viewssimmo

Phillips on 11:26 - Jul 6 by queensparker

Have West Brom still got Ricky Lambert? I would have thought a Phillips/Lambert combination will be pretty useful if they can both get firing.

While he was massively disappointing in the second half of last season, I think we're going to miss Phillips a lot more than people realise. There's virtually no goal threat at all in this squad at the moment. El-K/Petrasso/Mackie won't be anywhere near good enough out wide

That is true, but I do think with that transfer money and wages saved we can get a few options to replace him. I'm hopeful that Les, etc has targets already lined up to replace him and can act now the money is trousered.

Interesting week or so for transfers, we're particuarly light in midfield

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Phillips on 11:43 - Jul 6 with 2608 viewsconnell10

Phillips on 11:26 - Jul 6 by queensparker

He scored just 14 goals for us in 78 appearances, Piss poor.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Phillips on 11:59 - Jul 6 with 2564 viewsWatfordR

Phillips on 11:37 - Jul 6 by simmo

That is true, but I do think with that transfer money and wages saved we can get a few options to replace him. I'm hopeful that Les, etc has targets already lined up to replace him and can act now the money is trousered.

Interesting week or so for transfers, we're particuarly light in midfield

And upfront. The hard - and expensive - deals still need doing.
Phillips on 12:07 - Jul 6 with 2543 viewsNorthernr

Phillips on 11:43 - Jul 6 by connell10

He scored just 14 goals for us in 78 appearances, Piss poor.

Is that particularly poor for a winger?

Alan Judge, who I think wed all recognise as one of the better wingers in this division, has 17 in 80 appearances for Brentford.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Phillips on 12:11 - Jul 6 with 2528 viewsconnell10

Phillips on 12:07 - Jul 6 by Northernr

Alan Judge, who I think wed all recognise as one of the better wingers in this division, has 17 in 80 appearances for Brentford.

Yeah for a forward i think it is.

Login to get fewer ads

Phillips on 12:20 - Jul 6 with 2486 viewssimmo

Phillips on 12:11 - Jul 6 by connell10

Yeah for a forward i think it is.

Even a winger in a team as consistently poor and relegation threatened as ours? I think his assists are probably more important and I'm sure that's a much better ratio... Either way he did have some end product that will now need replacing

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Phillips on 12:25 - Jul 6 with 2474 viewsichbinnaughty

Phillips on 12:07 - Jul 6 by Northernr

Also, Furry Leroy had something like 8 goals in 50 appearances - which I didn't think was too shabby.
The learn here is numbers aren't the full picture.
Both Leroy and Matt were frustrating players who, in the cold light of day,never delivered the consistency that their abilities warrant and therefore didn't justify what they were costing us.
Better off gone.
Phillips on 12:35 - Jul 6 with 2434 viewsNorthernr

Phillips on 12:25 - Jul 6 by ichbinnaughty

Also, Furry Leroy had something like 8 goals in 50 appearances - which I didn't think was too shabby.
The learn here is numbers aren't the full picture.
Both Leroy and Matt were frustrating players who, in the cold light of day,never delivered the consistency that their abilities warrant and therefore didn't justify what they were costing us.
Better off gone.

Completely agree, but boiling it down to simple maths we've taken 8 goals and 9 assists out of a team that already struggled to create and score. Pleased Phillips is gone, pleased we got good money, pleased we're shipping out people who don't want to be here - but we now have to find 8 goals and 9 assists that somebody is willing to sell us under our current budget. Not easy, so I'm not in the "thank god" and "don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out" gang on this just yet.
Phillips on 12:43 - Jul 6 with 2393 viewsbosh67

Phillips on 12:35 - Jul 6 by Northernr

Completely agree, but boiling it down to simple maths we've taken 8 goals and 9 assists out of a team that already struggled to create and score. Pleased Phillips is gone, pleased we got good money, pleased we're shipping out people who don't want to be here - but we now have to find 8 goals and 9 assists that somebody is willing to sell us under our current budget. Not easy, so I'm not in the "thank god" and "don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out" gang on this just yet.

On the other hand we do have 27 central defenders now so clean sheets are a given. That's 46 0-0s and 46 points in the bag!

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Phillips on 12:54 - Jul 6 with 2359 viewsichbinnaughty

Phillips on 12:43 - Jul 6 by bosh67

On the other hand we do have 27 central defenders now so clean sheets are a given. That's 46 0-0s and 46 points in the bag!

The 21st Century INVINCIBLES !!!!

(I agree we now need to find an appropriate replacement for Phillips to sling the crosses in to BFG. I certainly don't harbour ill will towards Phillips, but I think it's best off he's gone, we save on the no-doubt-inflated wages we were paying him - which his agent no doubt renegotiated when we were promoted to the Prem; and I'm sure there are able replacements out there.)

By the way, I see West Brom have released Anichebe. Worth a dig?
Another beefy target man upfront = perhaps with something to prove?
Phillips on 12:59 - Jul 6 with 2341 viewsbosh67

On the WBA site Matty says...

"I'm not the finished article by any means," he added. "I'm 25 and I still feel I can bring more to my game."

- what? Like tackling?

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Phillips on 13:06 - Jul 6 with 2318 viewsrsonist

The way I see it, even if we only find someone that only matches Phillips output by busting a gut we'd still be better off as a club with that instead of putting up with someone clearly playing within themselves. Phillips is not an untalented player but for both sides it was time to go.
Phillips on 13:31 - Jul 6 with 2231 viewsconnell10

Phillips on 12:59 - Jul 6 by bosh67

On the WBA site Matty says...

"I'm not the finished article by any means," he added. "I'm 25 and I still feel I can bring more to my game."

- what? Like tackling?

Tracking back!

Phillips on 13:36 - Jul 6 with 2216 viewseghamranger

Petrasso is nowhere near the finished article either but is our player, makes an effort and will probably get a decent chance this season now. Also he is more Canadian than Phillips is a Sweaty!!
Phillips on 13:39 - Jul 6 with 2207 viewsBostonR

My abiding memory of Phillips is JFH subbing him at 60mins in the Middlesborough home game. One of the worst individual perfomances by an Rs player for some time - truly awful.

He was idle, lazy , not very good and did not give a f!*k!
Phillips on 15:14 - Jul 6 with 2088 viewsichbinnaughty

Phillips on 13:36 - Jul 6 by eghamranger

Petrasso is nowhere near the finished article either but is our player, makes an effort and will probably get a decent chance this season now. Also he is more Canadian than Phillips is a Sweaty!!

Petrasso is quick as phuck too.
Could be utilised to do some damage...
Phillips on 15:23 - Jul 6 with 2068 viewsaston_hoop

Is James Henry in our budget yet? yeah ok maybe not unless Wolves suddenly become multi-billionaire meglomaniacs who only want to fill a squad with big names.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Phillips on 06:55 - Jul 7 with 1876 viewsHonkytonks

We need strikers.
Phillips on 16:26 - Jul 7 with 1776 viewsVancouverHoop

Roofe's signed for Leeds for around £3 million. Another one not coming to us.
Phillips on 16:31 - Jul 7 with 1765 viewsLythamR

Phillips on 16:26 - Jul 7 by VancouverHoop

Roofe would be a big gamble, big chip on his shoulder according to OUFC supperting friend I dont think he suits the profile for JFH and Les
Phillips on 16:41 - Jul 7 with 1734 viewsadhoc_qpr

Phillips on 16:26 - Jul 7 by VancouverHoop

Thinks £3m for a player is probably well out of our budget with a number of positions still needing to be filled.
Phillips on 20:05 - Jul 7 with 1635 viewsMedwayR

I like Bradshaw who I think is still at Walsall, not sure he's what we need though as we've so far failed to integrate Washington...

Poll: Who’s better?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024