Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Keeper Kelly becomes Warburton’s first addition — Signing 17:14 - Jun 14 with 4831 viewsNorthernr

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/50417
Keeper Kelly becomes Warburton’s first addition — Signing on 01:40 - Jun 15 with 3630 viewsBoston

Kelly looks suspiciously like Joey Barton.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Keeper Kelly becomes Warburton’s first addition — Signing on 09:13 - Jun 15 with 3447 viewstimcocking

Hmmm.

Personally, i think a 'keeper needs to be as confident as possible to be able to play at their best. They need to know a mistake won't cost them their place. I can't see any way that competition amongst goalkeepers is a good thing per se. I'd think it was like a QB competition in the NFL...to be avoided at all costs, usually counter productive all around. It's not like one can suddenly start to try harder in goal. It seems to me an excellent way of making all the goalkeepers immediately anxious, therefore worse. Particularly going out of your way to mention his distribution. Now, we'll all watch in bemused horror as neither of them changes to kick a ball no doubt. For a start, Loftus Road is too narrow to play a possession game even if you want to. We've never managed it yet in living memory.

If you have a lazy fcuker in there or something he might need a kick up his arse or something, but i wasn't thrilled with any of what i read here. Christ, i hope this new guy is good and this isn't just another textbook QPR fcukup. Banker indeed.
Keeper Kelly becomes Warburton’s first addition — Signing on 09:30 - Jun 15 with 3443 viewsDejR_vu

I appreciate everyone wants Lumley to succeed because he’s come through the academy but, at the end of the day, we need to develop players for a profit. It doesn’t really matter if the player in question comes through the youth system, or is signed at a young age for a nominal fee. What matters is which is better and which is likely to make more profit. I suspect they simply think Kelly is a better prospect, so it’s up to Lumley to prove them wrong.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Keeper Kelly becomes Warburton’s first addition — Signing on 10:10 - Jun 15 with 3410 viewsNorthernr

Keeper Kelly becomes Warburton’s first addition — Signing on 09:30 - Jun 15 by DejR_vu

I appreciate everyone wants Lumley to succeed because he’s come through the academy but, at the end of the day, we need to develop players for a profit. It doesn’t really matter if the player in question comes through the youth system, or is signed at a young age for a nominal fee. What matters is which is better and which is likely to make more profit. I suspect they simply think Kelly is a better prospect, so it’s up to Lumley to prove them wrong.

And as I say in the piece I think this is more about Ingram than Lumley.
Keeper Kelly becomes Warburton’s first addition — Signing on 10:26 - Jun 15 with 3380 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Keeper Kelly becomes Warburton’s first addition — Signing on 09:13 - Jun 15 by timcocking

Hmmm.

Personally, i think a 'keeper needs to be as confident as possible to be able to play at their best. They need to know a mistake won't cost them their place. I can't see any way that competition amongst goalkeepers is a good thing per se. I'd think it was like a QB competition in the NFL...to be avoided at all costs, usually counter productive all around. It's not like one can suddenly start to try harder in goal. It seems to me an excellent way of making all the goalkeepers immediately anxious, therefore worse. Particularly going out of your way to mention his distribution. Now, we'll all watch in bemused horror as neither of them changes to kick a ball no doubt. For a start, Loftus Road is too narrow to play a possession game even if you want to. We've never managed it yet in living memory.

If you have a lazy fcuker in there or something he might need a kick up his arse or something, but i wasn't thrilled with any of what i read here. Christ, i hope this new guy is good and this isn't just another textbook QPR fcukup. Banker indeed.

Loftus Road is apparently 72 yards wide.

Man City - 74
Anfield - 74
Arsenal 74
Camp Nou - 74

HQ is not as narrow as people think.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Keeper Kelly becomes Warburton’s first addition — Signing on 10:54 - Jun 15 with 3331 viewsLblock

Keeper Kelly becomes Warburton’s first addition — Signing on 10:26 - Jun 15 by BrianMcCarthy

Man City - 74
Anfield - 74
Arsenal 74
Camp Nou - 74

But the minds that attend are often portrayed as very narrow

So it’s the end of Ingram. No bad thing, I thought he was terrible myself, be lucky to get two bob and a conker for him I reckon
Lumley needing to up his game ain’t a bad thing, competition is good. What will be a challenge is if Joe looses his place, how will he deal with that? He’s been number one for a fair while in a couple of clubs if you include his loan appearances. I cannot see him accepting a season on the bench, neither should he.
Then it’s the same with Kelly.... he’s done his time as a benchwarmer and come with a decent rep north of the border. Tricky.....

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Keeper Kelly becomes Warburton’s first addition — Signing on 13:55 - Jun 15 with 3118 viewsgazza1

I am afraid that Lumley was not good enough last season despite playing well on occasions. That is my view and I am sure it must be Warburton’s view as well......he surely isn’t signing a number 2 goalkeeper with our shortage of funds.
Keeper Kelly becomes Warburton’s first addition — Signing on 14:31 - Jun 15 with 3066 viewsrsonist

Keeper Kelly becomes Warburton’s first addition — Signing on 10:10 - Jun 15 by Northernr

Think the Ingram/Dieng angle is a bit of a red herring. Of course we need another keeper without them but we didn't have to sign one explicitly to compete for the #1 shirt.

Ultimately I guess it comes down to whether you believe having keepers of a same age in direct competition with each other is a good development pathway. Myself I do not, not least because this very club has already proven it doesn't work several times this decade.
Login to get fewer ads

Keeper Kelly becomes Warburton’s first addition — Signing on 15:14 - Jun 15 with 3022 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Keeper Kelly becomes Warburton’s first addition — Signing on 13:55 - Jun 15 by gazza1

I am afraid that Lumley was not good enough last season despite playing well on occasions. That is my view and I am sure it must be Warburton’s view as well......he surely isn’t signing a number 2 goalkeeper with our shortage of funds.

Good post Gazza,

I'm always harsh on goalies, but i tend to agree with you about Lumley last season. I think he is excellent at communication, organisation and positioning, I think he is good at distribution but needs to improve on shot-stopping, one-on-ones and high balls.

I think he will improve, though, as the talent is there. Plus he's got a great attitude. Given the right career path, I can see him making it in the Premier League.

But, with Ingram badly in need of a move and Dieng needing games on loan, we need another keeper. This looks like a good signing to me.

I would fear (purely speculating, here) that Lumley will miss out at the start of the season - new signing, good with his feet, manager knows him etc etc.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Keeper Kelly becomes Warburton’s first addition — Signing on 18:18 - Jun 15 with 2857 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Keeper Kelly becomes Warburton’s first addition — Signing on 10:10 - Jun 15 by Northernr

Also as you said in your end of season write up. We shouldn't fear change. We should fear more of the same. I like Lumley but I've no problem with this signing at all.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Keeper Kelly becomes Warburton’s first addition — Signing on 22:06 - Jun 15 with 2668 viewsT_Block

Keeper Kelly becomes Warburton’s first addition — Signing on 18:18 - Jun 15 by CliveWilsonSaid

Also as you said in your end of season write up. We shouldn't fear change. We should fear more of the same. I like Lumley but I've no problem with this signing at all.

QPR have played possession in living memory.

Do you mean we are a long ball team?
Keeper Kelly becomes Warburton’s first addition — Signing on 01:27 - Jun 16 with 2530 viewstimcocking

Keeper Kelly becomes Warburton’s first addition — Signing on 10:26 - Jun 15 by BrianMcCarthy

Man City - 74
Anfield - 74
Arsenal 74
Camp Nou - 74

I think it is. I think that couple of yards makes significantly more difference than people realise. Also there is less room off the pitch, which effectively squeezes it still more. It doesn't sound like much of a difference, but it is if you're playing on it.
Keeper Kelly becomes Warburton’s first addition — Signing on 01:40 - Jun 16 with 2526 viewstimcocking

Keeper Kelly becomes Warburton’s first addition — Signing on 15:14 - Jun 15 by BrianMcCarthy

Good post Gazza,

I'm always harsh on goalies, but i tend to agree with you about Lumley last season. I think he is excellent at communication, organisation and positioning, I think he is good at distribution but needs to improve on shot-stopping, one-on-ones and high balls.

I think he will improve, though, as the talent is there. Plus he's got a great attitude. Given the right career path, I can see him making it in the Premier League.

But, with Ingram badly in need of a move and Dieng needing games on loan, we need another keeper. This looks like a good signing to me.

I would fear (purely speculating, here) that Lumley will miss out at the start of the season - new signing, good with his feet, manager knows him etc etc.

Well, i hope so. It's a good signing if the guy turns out to be better than Joe and an absolute fcuking shocker that will cause a load of collateral damage if he isn't. A very risky opening gambit and one which was completely unnecessary so quickly imo. Who was it came in and released people like Faurlin and Clint Hill immediately, when in fact we needed them both not to mention loved them deeply? To completely ignore the human element at a new club is a massive mistake.

I don't think he's here to replace Matt Ingram. And as for Dieng, good enough for Rangers but not for Queens' Park Rangers? Hmmm, not sure i can work that out.

Competition amongst 'keepers is never good, look at the NFL. Bloody obvious.

I think the best thing a new manager can do is not release the most popular homegrown players instantly. Unless you are looking to be out of a job as fast as possible.

Let's hope the new guy is good and i can quickly forget this. I'll just miss Joe, i enjoyed having him in goal for us. I liked his celebrations.
[Post edited 16 Jun 2019 1:51]
Keeper Kelly becomes Warburton’s first addition — Signing on 07:51 - Jun 16 with 2432 viewsrsonist

Keeper Kelly becomes Warburton’s first addition — Signing on 15:14 - Jun 15 by BrianMcCarthy

Good post Gazza,

Whichever keeper does well, the other will stagnate and depreciate in value.
Keeper Kelly becomes Warburton’s first addition — Signing on 12:53 - Jun 16 with 2213 viewsDannytheR

Keeper Kelly becomes Warburton’s first addition — Signing on 01:40 - Jun 16 by timcocking

Well, i hope so. It's a good signing if the guy turns out to be better than Joe and an absolute fcuking shocker that will cause a load of collateral damage if he isn't. A very risky opening gambit and one which was completely unnecessary so quickly imo. Who was it came in and released people like Faurlin and Clint Hill immediately, when in fact we needed them both not to mention loved them deeply? To completely ignore the human element at a new club is a massive mistake.

I don't think he's here to replace Matt Ingram. And as for Dieng, good enough for Rangers but not for Queens' Park Rangers? Hmmm, not sure i can work that out.

I think the best thing a new manager can do is not release the most popular homegrown players instantly. Unless you are looking to be out of a job as fast as possible.

Let's hope the new guy is good and i can quickly forget this. I'll just miss Joe, i enjoyed having him in goal for us. I liked his celebrations.

Nothing against Lumley personally, but you're overstating the bond between him and the fans.

Seems like a decent enough lad and a talented prospect - but he's had one season in the first team with plenty of gaffes thrown in, at the end of which his agent seemed to be angling to get him a move to Bristol City.

Not exactly Ale Faurlin. Not sure he's even Ali Bongo so far.
Keeper Kelly becomes Warburton’s first addition — Signing on 14:12 - Jun 16 with 2144 viewsAntti_Heinola

Keeper Kelly becomes Warburton’s first addition — Signing on 01:40 - Jun 16 by timcocking

No one released Faurlin and Hill immediately. They both played under JFH that season and were released. Both of them would make my all time favourite QPR XI, but I still think letting them go was not the terrible thing it was made out to be (although it was handled poorly).

I don't think Dieng *if* he goes to Rangers will be number one.

You shouldn't have competition among keepers? Seriously?

Lumley hasn't been released.

I really like Joe, though.

Bare bones.

Keeper Kelly becomes Warburton’s first addition — Signing on 14:59 - Jun 16 with 2115 viewsBushRanger82

I can hardly contain my excitement.
Signing Livingstone's number 1, we're really going places.
Bet we didn't have to beat off Chelsea for his signature.
Hell, bet we didn't have to beat off Fulham, Brentford, or any other assortment of win sod all clubs.
Keeper Kelly becomes Warburton’s first addition — Signing on 15:32 - Jun 16 with 2095 viewsterryb

Keeper Kelly becomes Warburton’s first addition — Signing on 14:59 - Jun 16 by BushRanger82

Hell, bet we didn't have to beat off Fulham, Brentford, or any other assortment of win sod all clubs.

When was the last time we signed a goalkeeper from a club higher than us that improved Rangers?

I can't remember one!

We did sign a young goalkeeper from Walsall though. Nobody was excited about that at the time either!
Keeper Kelly becomes Warburton’s first addition — Signing on 20:09 - Jun 16 with 1911 viewsQPR_John

Keeper Kelly becomes Warburton’s first addition — Signing on 14:59 - Jun 16 by BushRanger82

On the one hand there's post saying we have to sell to keep within FFP limits then we have posts complaining that we are buying within our means
Keeper Kelly becomes Warburton’s first addition — Signing on 21:58 - Jun 16 with 1823 viewsnewgolddream

Good luck to Liam. Will be missed at Livingston but a great signing for the R's.
Keeper Kelly becomes Warburton’s first addition — Signing on 02:33 - Jun 17 with 1680 viewstimcocking

Bottom line, if he's cheaper and better than Ingram, it's probably a wise move.

Unless you attach importance to factors such as continuity, loyalty, team spirit, things like that, which they clearly don't give a fcuk about nowadays. It seems to me, the first thing all new managers like to do when they come at QPR in is immediately bomb out our most popular players.

It was very clear in the interview that he expects to be starting.

Don't want to keep harping on about it, maybe it's a masterstroke. It just reminds me of the Ale Furling/Jack Robinson/making Toni Leistner captain debacles which have all been so harmful. We seem to love repeating our mistakes over and over. Said it before, i'll say it again, i loved having Joe in goal and i'll miss him. Even if he was dodgy.
[Post edited 17 Jun 2019 2:35]
Keeper Kelly becomes Warburton’s first addition — Signing on 03:21 - Jun 17 with 1663 viewsVancouverHoop

Was making Leistner harmful? Our previous captain had left, he'd be one of the senior players on the team, and had lots of experience in league of similar standard to the Championship. He also held a position that captains often played in.
Keeper Kelly becomes Warburton’s first addition — Signing on 08:20 - Jun 17 with 1555 viewsrsonist

Keeper Kelly becomes Warburton’s first addition — Signing on 14:12 - Jun 16 by Antti_Heinola

No one released Faurlin and Hill immediately. They both played under JFH that season and were released. Both of them would make my all time favourite QPR XI, but I still think letting them go was not the terrible thing it was made out to be (although it was handled poorly).

I don't think Dieng *if* he goes to Rangers will be number one.

You shouldn't have competition among keepers? Seriously?

Lumley hasn't been released.

I really like Joe, though.

"You shouldn't have competition among keepers? Seriously?"

You're being disingenuous. Two keepers of the same relatively mature age at first team readiness? Clearly this isn't the normal way other clubs go about their business in the position.
Keeper Kelly becomes Warburton’s first addition — Signing on 08:26 - Jun 17 with 1543 viewsrsonist

Keeper Kelly becomes Warburton’s first addition — Signing on 12:53 - Jun 16 by DannytheR

Nothing against Lumley personally, but you're overstating the bond between him and the fans.

Seems like a decent enough lad and a talented prospect - but he's had one season in the first team with plenty of gaffes thrown in, at the end of which his agent seemed to be angling to get him a move to Bristol City.

Not exactly Ale Faurlin. Not sure he's even Ali Bongo so far.

There was one rumour, once, in the local Bristol press that he was a target. I know that's how things work in football more often than not and North was right to suggest it but please let's not all turn "agent seemed to be angling" into damning disloyal groupthink gospel here.
Keeper Kelly becomes Warburton’s first addition — Signing on 13:10 - Jun 17 with 1323 viewsR_from_afar

Kelly seems like a decent signing to me. Lumley had some good games but there were also plenty in which we conceded goals which he should arguably have kept out. The problem was that Ingram didn't provide much competition for the number one 'keeper slot. This might help.

That said, I think there will be more changes to the squad before the season begins so it's not easy to be sure of the full significance of each individual squad addition yet.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024