Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Petrol/diesel prices 13:16 - Feb 23 with 3743 viewsloftboy

Surely it’s time for the government to rethink the taxation policy on fuel, prices are getting beyond a joke, Russia invading Ukraine pushing prices further, time to bring the taxation inline with other products.
Didn’t John major introduce a sliding fuel tax duty that escalates year on year, very soon it’s going to be a luxury and out of reach of us mere mortals.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Petrol/diesel prices on 13:31 - Feb 23 with 3100 viewsTheChef

All part of the plan by the 1%.

Go and buy an electric vehicle.

Follow the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Petrol/diesel prices on 13:53 - Feb 23 with 3045 viewsCamberleyR

I pass an Esso petrol station on the A303 on the way to and from work (near the Mere bypass if any of you know it) and admittedly whilst it is a services on a main trunk road and is more expensive than an average petrol station, I swear it has been putting it's prices up at least a penny a litre every couple of days at least for the last couple of weeks, It's currently £1.54 which had changed from £1.53 when I passed it in the morning yesterday.

The oil companies will keep raising their prices as long as they can get away with it as the idiotic panic buying of petrol last year proved to them that some people will pay whatever the price. The important threshold was the £1 a litre mark. Once that was broken £1.10/20/30 etc doesn't look that different.

Is it going to take prices to get near the £2 a litre mark before anything is done? Also remember that currently on your £1.50 litre of fuel, the government is taking nearly 90 pence of that in fuel duty and then you have VAT on top of that.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2022 13:56]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Petrol/diesel prices on 14:17 - Feb 23 with 2949 viewsGalileo

And where's all the lost revenue going to come from once fuel duty/vat is no longer a source of Governmental income beyond 2030 ? it's a massive income stream at the moment.
Petrol/diesel prices on 14:35 - Feb 23 with 2911 viewsLythamR

Petrol/diesel prices on 14:17 - Feb 23 by Galileo

And where's all the lost revenue going to come from once fuel duty/vat is no longer a source of Governmental income beyond 2030 ? it's a massive income stream at the moment.

we will all be rolling around in the Brexit Bonus by 2030 surely
Petrol/diesel prices on 15:02 - Feb 23 with 2845 viewsJuzzie

I was starting to run on fumes so rather than wait until my usual place of fill-up and potential run out beforehand, I pulled off the Euston Road and went into the Shell garage on the Edgware Road. £1.699 per litre!!!!!! OK, that was the E5 stuff but fk me.
I put just a small amount then filled up at the normal place.
Petrol/diesel prices on 15:18 - Feb 23 with 2790 viewsstowmarketrange

Petrol/diesel prices on 15:02 - Feb 23 by Juzzie

I was starting to run on fumes so rather than wait until my usual place of fill-up and potential run out beforehand, I pulled off the Euston Road and went into the Shell garage on the Edgware Road. £1.699 per litre!!!!!! OK, that was the E5 stuff but fk me.
I put just a small amount then filled up at the normal place.

There is a shell garage opposite Hyde park that always seems to be higher than most other places.I will be walking from Liverpool st to Shepherd’s Bush today as usual,so I will let you know how much they’re charging.But it makes you wonder how ordinary people manage to fill their cars now.
Petrol/diesel prices on 15:32 - Feb 23 with 2748 viewskensalriser

Given the amount of not very old range rovers and other premium 4x4 type tanks on the road I think a few more quid on filling the tank won’t make any difference to a lot of people.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Petrol/diesel prices on 15:57 - Feb 23 with 2700 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

As has been said politicians on all sides seem quite happy about all the price rises. Only thing they don’t seem to agree on is how best to protect the most vulnerable.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Petrol/diesel prices on 16:08 - Feb 23 with 2670 viewsNorthernr

When I was on my tiny local newspaper income and living up north this was the biggest issue for me. 5-10p variations in either direction make a huge difference when you're in that situation. Was back in Scunny for the weekend for the Barnsley game and they've reduced the train from one an hour in each direction to one every two hours, and the thing was absolutely fcking rammed. I lived in Sheffield and worked in Ripley for a while - a town without a train station at all, served nearest by Alfreton one train every two hours. Not practical. 75 mil round commute a day.

I do think it gets lost to a lot of Londoners where the public transport is so good. The trains and buses where I used to live and work are fcking abysmal. Fcking abysmal. I used to pull sickies at the end of months because I couldn't make the ends meet to drive to work.
Petrol/diesel prices on 16:16 - Feb 23 with 2631 viewsswitchingcode

Petrol/diesel prices on 16:08 - Feb 23 by Northernr

When I was on my tiny local newspaper income and living up north this was the biggest issue for me. 5-10p variations in either direction make a huge difference when you're in that situation. Was back in Scunny for the weekend for the Barnsley game and they've reduced the train from one an hour in each direction to one every two hours, and the thing was absolutely fcking rammed. I lived in Sheffield and worked in Ripley for a while - a town without a train station at all, served nearest by Alfreton one train every two hours. Not practical. 75 mil round commute a day.

I do think it gets lost to a lot of Londoners where the public transport is so good. The trains and buses where I used to live and work are fcking abysmal. Fcking abysmal. I used to pull sickies at the end of months because I couldn't make the ends meet to drive to work.

Just need the music to the Hovis added to that 😃
Petrol/diesel prices on 16:21 - Feb 23 with 2610 viewsNorthernr

Petrol/diesel prices on 16:16 - Feb 23 by switchingcode

Just need the music to the Hovis added to that 😃

Sorry mate
Petrol/diesel prices on 16:36 - Feb 23 with 2567 viewsKonk

Petrol/diesel prices on 16:08 - Feb 23 by Northernr

Yep, you leave London, its commuter belt, and the major cities, and public transport is often either non-existent or expensive and terrible. People living in rural areas with low wages are completely screwed because they usually have no alternative but to drive, especially if they’re working unsociable hours.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Petrol/diesel prices on 16:54 - Feb 23 with 2501 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Petrol/diesel prices on 16:36 - Feb 23 by Konk

Yep, you leave London, its commuter belt, and the major cities, and public transport is often either non-existent or expensive and terrible. People living in rural areas with low wages are completely screwed because they usually have no alternative but to drive, especially if they’re working unsociable hours.

The other problem with rural areas is that the more profitable routes are often served by different companies. That was my experience in Weymouth a few years ago when we bought a return bus ticket up to Lulworth Cove. On the way back the first bus to come was a different company and wouldn’t let us on unless we bought another ticket. We had to wait the best part of an hour for the next bus. It doesn’t encourage you to use them, although there are worse places to be stranded!

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Petrol/diesel prices on 17:38 - Feb 23 with 2432 viewsNorthantsHoop

For want of a better word we are all being driven by government, corporate, economics, environmental and social change. The race is on for the replacement of black gold and oil companies and governments are squeezing as much as they can before the change to renewable energy. Trouble is the infrastructure investment for electric vehicles is not happening at the speed required to force change, but as car manufacturing adapts to meet government targets for cleaner fuel then the clamour to invest will still be slow until governments really subsidise the replacement of fossil fuel vehicles. I'm afraid this high price of fuel will continue for the foreseable future. We are also going through a massive re-balancing of our economy, artificially low interest rates since the 2008 financial crisis, low personal taxation not keeping up with the cost of increasing population and the need for more public services.
Still we need to get a win against Blackpool tonight- COYRsss
Petrol/diesel prices on 14:09 - Feb 24 with 2165 viewsloftboy

Filled up at £1.45 per litre in Asda Lowestoft today.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Petrol/diesel prices on 14:29 - Feb 24 with 2112 viewsPaddyhoops

Heard an economist on 5 live this morning saying it might be an idea to fill up before it goes higher in price.
Literally screamed at the radio. Thinking " well done mate, just what we need is more needless queuing at petrol stations"
Some people eh??
Petrol/diesel prices on 14:55 - Feb 24 with 2058 viewsslmrstid

I filled up at £1.42 per litre at Sainsbury's in Leicester on Monday night. The day before I'd been with family in Wellingborough and it was £1.50 per litre down there. I can't fathom how the 45 mile difference could result in an 8p difference (and its not as if you're really approaching London either!)

The only thought I could come to was that the Sainsbury's I fill up at has an Asda across the road, who always aim to be the cheapest supermarket fuel so they have to price accordingly to compete with that. Wellingborough doesn't have an Asda.
Petrol/diesel prices on 14:58 - Feb 24 with 2038 viewsderbyhoop

It's world wide. Supermarket now 169.9€ for diesel. Local petrol pumps a lot higher. 20kms to any sizeable town and no public transport, except school buses, anywhere nearby.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Petrol/diesel prices on 15:40 - Feb 24 with 1962 viewsMelakaRanger

Petrol/diesel prices on 13:53 - Feb 23 by CamberleyR

I pass an Esso petrol station on the A303 on the way to and from work (near the Mere bypass if any of you know it) and admittedly whilst it is a services on a main trunk road and is more expensive than an average petrol station, I swear it has been putting it's prices up at least a penny a litre every couple of days at least for the last couple of weeks, It's currently £1.54 which had changed from £1.53 when I passed it in the morning yesterday.

The oil companies will keep raising their prices as long as they can get away with it as the idiotic panic buying of petrol last year proved to them that some people will pay whatever the price. The important threshold was the £1 a litre mark. Once that was broken £1.10/20/30 etc doesn't look that different.

Is it going to take prices to get near the £2 a litre mark before anything is done? Also remember that currently on your £1.50 litre of fuel, the government is taking nearly 90 pence of that in fuel duty and then you have VAT on top of that.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2022 13:56]

According to the RAC

Fuel duty is currently levied at a flat rate of 57.95p per litre for both petrol and diesel, while VAT at 20% is then charged on both the product price and the duty.
Petrol/diesel prices on 16:02 - Feb 24 with 1919 viewsMelakaRanger

A lot of people think its just a UK problem. Its not. Its worldwide- as is the massive price increase of natural gas.

These high prices are with us for some while yet - until the world calms down - and are probably here for at least another 12-18 months or so. We are all going to go OUCH paying these higher fuel bills.

We must also remember that fossil fuels are a finite resource and will in future years, as the 'reserves' fall, naturally increase in price. Its all down to supply & demand and we may never again see 'cheap' electricity/gas/petrol

The future needs everyone who can to have as much self generated power as possible. That will involve solar panels, battery storage, running an EV, Air source or ground source heat pumps.

Back in the 60s and 70s coal was king. I remember the Charringtons man delivering the many hundreweights of coal into the coal cellar.

Now, self generated renewables are king.

The cost benefit of installing solar/battery at home and running an EV make even more sence with petrol at £7+ a gallon.

Today you can get a 4kw solar system and a 8kw home battery installed for change out of £8 grand. Such system would allow most people to have almost zero electricity bills from March to October and much cheaper bills in the winter by charging the battery at night during the cheap rate. It would probably pay for itself in 6 or 7 years. And if you own your own home would greatly enhance the value of your property
Petrol/diesel prices on 16:27 - Feb 24 with 1875 viewsTheChef

Fortunately electricity is still cheap.

Oh, wait.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Petrol/diesel prices on 22:47 - Feb 24 with 1730 viewsRanger_Things

Boris Johnson and Michael Gove said leaving the EU would allow the UK to remove VAT from our energy bills.

The Government just voted down a Labour motion to remove VAT from energy bills.

Spain and the Netherlands have removed VAT from energy bills. Italy and Portugal have halved theirs.

Pair of lying c unts.
Petrol/diesel prices on 00:36 - Feb 25 with 1656 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Just arrived home to eat something resembling a chicken dinner and read Clives magnificent match report as well as checking out all the threads .
I filled up my pick up truck to the shocking total of $86 dollars which translates to $4 a gallon.(I know its America I have no clue about liters )
The attendant told me they got a memo to raise the prices tonight and its already at $6 a gallon in LA apparently so who knows.
Russia have moved all their chips onto the table sadly ,lots of suffering and death to follow which is heartbreaking and horrific.
My inconvenience is nothing .
Petrol/diesel prices on 01:46 - Feb 25 with 1620 viewsBoston

Petrol/diesel prices on 00:36 - Feb 25 by CLAREMAN1995

Just arrived home to eat something resembling a chicken dinner and read Clives magnificent match report as well as checking out all the threads .
I filled up my pick up truck to the shocking total of $86 dollars which translates to $4 a gallon.(I know its America I have no clue about liters )
The attendant told me they got a memo to raise the prices tonight and its already at $6 a gallon in LA apparently so who knows.
Russia have moved all their chips onto the table sadly ,lots of suffering and death to follow which is heartbreaking and horrific.
My inconvenience is nothing .

Litre (liter) to gallon conversion rate...a lot cheaper.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Petrol/diesel prices on 02:58 - Feb 25 with 1586 viewsSydneyRs

I paid $1.76 AUD (about 94 pence at current exchange rates) per litre today in Sydney and people here think that is expensive.

You are being ripped off deluxe.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024