Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Klaus Schulze RIP 14:16 - Apr 28 with 1984 viewsR_from_afar

Very sad news, the electronic music pioneer has died after a long illness

He was originally the drummer in Tangerine Dream but left to create his own synth-based music, much of it on the new fangled Moog.

Here he is playing with various collaborators including innovative guitarist Manuel Goettsching. The story goes that they were invited to a party and in the course of it, they were encouraged to have an impromptu jam session. They duly did so and thought no more of it.

Some time later, Goettsching was in a record shop and heard some impressive guitar playing. Then the penny dropped: The unknown guitar hot-shot was actually him! The jam session had been secretly recorded, mixed then released as album.

RIP King of the Moog

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Klaus Schulze RIP on 14:58 - Apr 28 with 1924 viewsDannyPaddox

I doubt if Schulze played on this but I’ve always loved that Manuel Göttsching’s much revered E2-E4 album, seen as an inadvertent pioneer of house and techno, looks like a late 60s QPR programme.

Klaus Schulze RIP on 15:18 - Apr 28 with 1899 viewsRs_Holy

Just looked at the Tangerine Dream Timeline on Wiki and they must be the 'Triggers Broom' of musical acts?... 4 new guitarists, 8 new keyboard players etc etc
Klaus Schulze RIP on 16:17 - Apr 28 with 1840 viewsDiscodroids

Neu, Tangerine Dream, La Dusseldorf, Eno Mobius, Michael Rother and the Mighty Wolfgang Reichmann were the Launchpad 39A of the electricity club and Thus the Moog.

Their petri dish sawtooth bending experimentations in electronic music awoke my pineal gland from it'slumber.

Although aware of the ley lines that these goups have to Ultravox, John Foxx, Numan, a certain Ratio , Caberet Voltaire, Japan, Georgio Moroder, Blancmange etc etc then onto Underworld , Dave Clark, The chemical brothers,Lionrock, Leftfield and Orbital etc etc , I've become more of a fan of Krautrock and the Berlin School since Listening to the Rusty Egan (Blitz club, Visage) Elecronic family tree radio show on artefaktor radio.

RIP Genialer Mann

ps Try as i might i can't get into the Band, 'Can', at all.

I wish i could crowbar Van der Graaf Generator into this thread, but i can't.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2022 16:35]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Klaus Schulze RIP on 20:17 - Apr 28 with 1725 viewskensalriser

Klaus Schulze RIP on 14:58 - Apr 28 by DannyPaddox

I doubt if Schulze played on this but I’ve always loved that Manuel Göttsching’s much revered E2-E4 album, seen as an inadvertent pioneer of house and techno, looks like a late 60s QPR programme.

Ha, good spot.

E2-E4 is great. I saw Gottsching a few years back in Hackey at a rare live performance (jeez, just looked it up, 2013). It was all quite self-indulgently boring and he didn't play E2-E4...

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Klaus Schulze RIP on 13:28 - Apr 30 with 1555 viewsR_from_afar

The story goes that Goettsching was due to go on a long flight and wanted something to listen to on it.

As you do, he recorded his own musical entertainment, E2 E4.

I actually prefer the track below, from his "Inventions for electric guitar" album. It builds slowly - no need to rush when you are crafting a 21 minute long epic - reaches an interlude, resumes, there is a frenetic, acid-fried solo, then the outro section is a thing of shimmering beauty. The whole album only features guitars, no other instruments.

On the subject of Goettsching and Ashra, "Niemand lacht rueckwaerts" - no one laughs backwards - from "Ashra live in Japan volume 1" - is utterly fantastic, a real barnstorming track with Goettsching playing in a four piece band. The guitar solos are sensational and the band drive the piece along relentlessly until it reaches a smouldering crescendo. I can't find it on YouTube but am playing it on CD now so I'll turn it up for you.

As for Can, I haven't explored their music much but this track is a corker and you can see why people say they influenced the baggy/Madchester scene:

Close your eyes and it could be Shaun Ryder crooning some old drug addled nonsense while the Mondays strut their funky stuff.

On the subject of Krautrock, "Second" by Agitation Free is a marvellous album:

Finally, VDGG, specially for Disco. Well, we all need cheering up and this is a glorious noise, with two of the musicians playing like their lives depend on it

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024