Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Terry Neil RIP 19:09 - Jul 28 with 3057 viewsloftboy

Great manager

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Terry Neil RIP on 19:50 - Jul 28 with 2921 viewsLanhoop

I remember him more for being sent off playing for Hull in one of my first QPR matches.
Terry Neil RIP on 20:00 - Jul 28 with 2901 views222gers

Yes, he had a few choice words to say about our crowd. Never mind, RIP Terry.
Terry Neil RIP on 20:48 - Jul 28 with 2807 viewsVancouverHoop

And kicked lumps out of the physio's bench IIRC.

RIP
Terry Neil RIP on 21:01 - Jul 28 with 2753 viewspaulparker

I remember him commentating on Capital Gold back in the day
Seemed a decent fella RIP

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Terry Neil RIP on 21:25 - Jul 28 with 2696 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Always seemed a clever and decent skin.

Won an FA Cup with Arsenal (the classic '79 one), but lost two more Finals and a CWC Final on pens. He got Arsenal to third in the League one year as well, but opinion always seemed to be split as to whether he was doing well to get close to major honours or whether he should have been doing better given the outstanding talent coming through at Highbury.

Never managed again after Arsenal sacked him. Just looked it up. He was only 41.
He was only learning his trade at that age.

RIP.
Ar dheis dé go raibh a anam.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Terry Neil RIP on 22:12 - Jul 28 with 2578 viewsCamberleyR

I always thought it odd that he never had another managerial job after Arsenal sacked him in 1983. Wasn't he one of those in the frame to replace Venables in 1984? Or was that to replace Mullery?

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Terry Neil RIP on 22:55 - Jul 28 with 2492 viewsNewBee

He was Arsenal's youngest ever captain when appointed as a 20 y.o. - still is, in fact.

Played nearly 300 games for Arsenal and another 100+ for Hull, his only 2 clubs as a player. Gained 59 caps for NI, many as Captain, and (I think), broke the record previously held jointly by two all-time greats, Danny Blanchflower and Billy Bingham - not bad considering how few internationals were played in those days, and for a side which never qualified for a tournament finals during his time.

Was only 28 when appointed to be Hull City's Player-Manager, which he combined with being NI's Player-Manager for a spell a year later.

Was only 32 when given the manager's job at Spurs, not only "crossing the divide", but taking over from Spurs' greatest ever manager, Bill Nicholson.

Left after 2 years to become Arsenal manager (34 y.o.), a position which he held for 7 years.

I'm not sure, but he was likely the youngest permanent manager any of those sides ever had - possibly still is? And considering he was only 41 when he left the game entirely, he certainly packed a helluva lot in!

Personally, I liked his quip after he scored the only goal of the game against England at Wembley in 1972, a scrambled effort from a corner:
"I always was deadly from two yards!"

[Post edited 28 Jul 2022 22:56]
Terry Neil RIP on 10:00 - Jul 29 with 2233 viewsterryb

Terry Neil RIP on 21:25 - Jul 28 by BrianMcCarthy

Won an FA Cup with Arsenal (the classic '79 one), but lost two more Finals and a CWC Final on pens. He got Arsenal to third in the League one year as well, but opinion always seemed to be split as to whether he was doing well to get close to major honours or whether he should have been doing better given the outstanding talent coming through at Highbury.

Never managed again after Arsenal sacked him. Just looked it up. He was only 41.

RIP.

RIP Terry.

I remember him more as a player than manager, but I do recall that before the 1978 FA Cup Final he was scournful of sugestions that Ipswich were suffering from injuries.

He sugested that there was more of a chance of playing in the final himself than of Hunter & Beattie not playing!
Login to get fewer ads

Terry Neil RIP on 10:37 - Jul 29 with 2197 viewsDavieQPR

Pretty sure he was our Assistant Manager under Stewart Houston for a while.
Forget it the old brain has just clicked it was Bruce Rioch.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2022 10:39]
Terry Neil RIP on 10:39 - Jul 29 with 2192 viewsMyke

Terry Neil RIP on 10:00 - Jul 29 by terryb

RIP Terry.

I remember him more as a player than manager, but I do recall that before the 1978 FA Cup Final he was scournful of sugestions that Ipswich were suffering from injuries.

He sugested that there was more of a chance of playing in the final himself than of Hunter & Beattie not playing!

I'm the opposite, I think of him mostly as an Arsenal/NI manager than a player. Didn't realise he quit so young though. Almost 40 years out of the game. If he had been in a later era he would have made a fortune as a Sky pundit.
RIP Terry
Terry Neil RIP on 12:01 - Jul 29 with 2107 viewsSimplyNico

Terry Neil RIP on 21:25 - Jul 28 by BrianMcCarthy

RIP.

He went on to own a bar on Holborn Viaduct (it's now the Fable).

We had our end of season footy dinners there back in the early 90s (our team captain was a mad Gooner)
Terry Neil RIP on 22:56 - Jul 29 with 1890 viewsHamptonR

Great manager?
Terry Neil RIP on 23:15 - Jul 29 with 1869 viewsBoston

Terry Neil RIP on 22:56 - Jul 29 by HamptonR

Great manager?

You dicking around, Hampton?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Terry Neil RIP on 12:31 - Jul 31 with 1641 viewsHamptonR

Terry Neil RIP on 23:15 - Jul 29 by Boston

You dicking around, Hampton?

Not dicking about,

I liked Terry Neil, he came across very well on TV and radio but his managerial career, in my opinion wasn't great.
As previously mentioned, he managed an Arsenal team, which should have won more, there was a lot of talent there.

The three finals, contained two defeats, one to a team from the division below.

Although I didn't realise until now, that he quit at 41, perhaps greatness would have been achieved if he had stayed in football, because he obviously had a flair for it.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2022 22:47]
Terry Neil RIP on 14:41 - Aug 1 with 1490 viewsGaithersburgR

I was also at that Hull game. Decades later, having a post work beer outside an Italian restaurant in Clerkenwell Green. Mine host told us excitedly that Terry was inside. I asked that he tell Terry that I was at the game. Next thing, I’m sat at his table with his friends. It kicked off, he said, when he shinned, inadvertently, the ball between Rodney’s legs, nutmegging him and giving him the hump. The sending off was just the start of a bad weekend. Going down the tunnel on his own, he bashed his forehead on a low beam, drawing blood. Finally, returning to Hull in his fancy car, he got done for speeding as he was entering the city. He was a lovely gentleman. That Hull team was not easy to beat. RIP Terry Neill.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024