Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Unexpected problem potentially affecting the long awaited new stadium 12:45 - Aug 10 with 6191 viewsR_from_afar

I know progress towards a new stadium has been very slow and hugely frustrating, and that most fans want to remain in the Hammersmith & Fulham Borough anyway, but there is an unforeseen issue, to do with electricity supply, affecting all new construction in West London, specifically in Hillingdon, Ealing and Hounslow.

From Computing magazine:
Developers in three West London boroughs are being told of limits to new building because the grid is full to capacity. This is likely to be the first of many such announcements.

Property developers in three west London boroughs have been told of limitations on new building because the local electricity infrastructure cannot cope, with part of the blame being placed on data centres.

As reported yesterday by the FT, the Greater London Authority (GLA) has written to builders warning them that it might take until 2035 for grid infrastructure to be upgraded sufficiently to allow new connections in Hillingdon, Ealing and Hounslow.

Electricity networks in the area are running to capacity, and the GLA specifically mentioned the presence of data centres that "use large quantities of electricity, the equivalent of towns or small cities, to power servers and ensure resilience in service".

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Unexpected problem potentially affecting the long awaited new stadium on 13:02 - Aug 10 with 4908 viewsMedwayR

I can't see that being an issue, they'll find a solution long before we find a site!!

Interesting that it's data centre and not Old Oak/HS2 causing the issue.

Poll: Who’s better?

Unexpected problem potentially affecting the long awaited new stadium on 13:32 - Aug 10 with 4763 viewsWegerles_Stairs

I imagine we'll have colonised Mars by the time they sort out a new stadium, so perhaps we can move there.
Unexpected problem potentially affecting the long awaited new stadium on 13:37 - Aug 10 with 4738 viewsRs_Holy

Unexpected problem potentially affecting the long awaited new stadium on 13:32 - Aug 10 by Wegerles_Stairs

I imagine we'll have colonised Mars by the time they sort out a new stadium, so perhaps we can move there.

"Oh we're the R Block, we're the R Block, we're the R Block of the Holden Crater".
Unexpected problem potentially affecting the long awaited new stadium on 14:07 - Aug 10 with 4635 viewsstowmarketrange

They’ll have it sorted by 2035,long before we get the final ok for our new ground.
Unexpected problem potentially affecting the long awaited new stadium on 14:09 - Aug 10 with 4632 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

How is it an unexpected problem? Surely they must have known this would happen?

Or did you mean unexpected problem for us?

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Unexpected problem potentially affecting the long awaited new stadium on 14:15 - Aug 10 with 4599 viewsR_from_afar

Unexpected problem potentially affecting the long awaited new stadium on 14:09 - Aug 10 by CliveWilsonSaid

I did mean for us, but given how poor our infrastructure planning has been for several decades, both could apply. Bloomberg is saying today that the UK could face blackouts in January

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Unexpected problem potentially affecting the long awaited new stadium on 14:23 - Aug 10 with 4556 viewsLythamR

maybe we can get a pass by promising to turn down the brightness of the pitch side advertising hoardings in any new stadium from their current nuclear flash intensity!
Unexpected problem potentially affecting the long awaited new stadium on 14:25 - Aug 10 with 4547 viewsMelakaRanger

There are 3 certanties in life.

Death and taxes. Plus QPR will never relocate to a new stadium.

If I live until 100 , QPR will still be at Loftus Road

At best, one day, a new owner, with loads of money to get rid of, will upgrade Loftus Road - stand by stand over an extended period.
Login to get fewer ads

Unexpected problem potentially affecting the long awaited new stadium on 14:27 - Aug 10 with 4538 viewsSonofpugwash

Unexpected problem potentially affecting the long awaited new stadium on 13:32 - Aug 10 by Wegerles_Stairs

Hope not.No atmosphere.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Unexpected problem potentially affecting the long awaited new stadium on 14:46 - Aug 10 with 4478 viewsstowmarketrange

Unexpected problem potentially affecting the long awaited new stadium on 14:15 - Aug 10 by R_from_afar

I did mean for us, but given how poor our infrastructure planning has been for several decades, both could apply. Bloomberg is saying today that the UK could face blackouts in January

Maybe we should order the rail seating now just in case we get the ok by 2035?
Unexpected problem potentially affecting the long awaited new stadium on 14:48 - Aug 10 with 4467 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Is there a possibility that any new stadium would have a lower energy need, which you’d think would be a given with modernisation nowadays?
[Post edited 10 Aug 2022 14:52]
Unexpected problem potentially affecting the long awaited new stadium on 14:55 - Aug 10 with 4421 viewsstainrods_elbow

Unexpected problem potentially affecting the long awaited new stadium on 14:25 - Aug 10 by MelakaRanger

There are 3 certanties in life.

Death and taxes. Plus QPR will never relocate to a new stadium.

If I live until 100 , QPR will still be at Loftus Road

At best, one day, a new owner, with loads of money to get rid of, will upgrade Loftus Road - stand by stand over an extended period.

Of course, we could do that now (and it would be massively cheaper than building a new stadium from scratch), were it not for the fact that we have a CEO who clearly, as my contribution to the last Fans Forum attested, doesn't give a flying f*ck about LR.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Unexpected problem potentially affecting the long awaited new stadium on 15:03 - Aug 10 with 4408 viewscolinallcars

Near where I live we were excitedly awaiting the opening of a new Gail's bakery. Come opening day - nothing. We've been told electricty supply is the problem. It's been 4 weeks now, so I guess this is a related issue.
Unexpected problem potentially affecting the long awaited new stadium on 15:03 - Aug 10 with 4407 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Unexpected problem potentially affecting the long awaited new stadium on 14:15 - Aug 10 by R_from_afar

What I find interesting is that they’re prioritising data centres over housing. What will they used for? Data storage/transfer obviously but what specifically? Smart moterways, face recognition, driverless cars?

I’d rather do without
[Post edited 10 Aug 2022 15:06]

Unexpected problem potentially affecting the long awaited new stadium on 15:22 - Aug 10 with 4318 viewsJuzzie

Unexpected problem potentially affecting the long awaited new stadium on 14:48 - Aug 10 by BazzaInTheLoft

Is there a possibility that any new stadium would have a lower energy need, which you’d think would be a given with modernisation nowadays?
[Post edited 10 Aug 2022 14:52]

Added to that, our current stadium will no longer be in use therefore not drawing any power.

The article cites about data centres but who approves them, the local council?
Unexpected problem potentially affecting the long awaited new stadium on 15:49 - Aug 10 with 4231 viewsOldPedro

Unexpected problem potentially affecting the long awaited new stadium on 15:22 - Aug 10 by Juzzie

Added to that, our current stadium will no longer be in use therefore not drawing any power.

The article cites about data centres but who approves them, the local council?

Think I don't understand is why you would build large data centre's in a part of the country where land/property is expensive?

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Unexpected problem potentially affecting the long awaited new stadium on 15:49 - Aug 10 with 4225 viewsstevec

I’m sort of looking forward to blackouts, what a shambles this country and most of Western Europe has become.
Unexpected problem potentially affecting the long awaited new stadium on 15:50 - Aug 10 with 4226 viewsLythamR

Unexpected problem potentially affecting the long awaited new stadium on 15:03 - Aug 10 by CliveWilsonSaid

What I find interesting is that they’re prioritising data centres over housing. What will they used for? Data storage/transfer obviously but what specifically? Smart moterways, face recognition, driverless cars?

I’d rather do without

Web site servers, cloud storage, internet routers and switches etc etc

No real need why these should be in urban areas these days apart from the desire to be as close to the main internet switching points. i would have thought there were more attractive locations than west lpndon these days in terms of overhead costs, staff wages, business rates etc
Unexpected problem potentially affecting the long awaited new stadium on 16:31 - Aug 10 with 4116 viewsLongsufferingR

Well as our floodlights seem to only operate on half power these days, that shouldn't be an issue.
Unexpected problem potentially affecting the long awaited new stadium on 16:37 - Aug 10 with 4091 viewsTonto

Unexpected problem potentially affecting the long awaited new stadium on 14:09 - Aug 10 by CliveWilsonSaid

depends upon who "they" is.

Network Power/SSE have probably known for years, but neglected to tell anyone (probably for fear of looking incompetent).

Then you add on demand increasing rapidly through intensification of housing (have you seen the tower blocks in Southall, Acton and Hayes? Electrical vehicle charging points and even all those touchscreen devices you have.

its unprecedented demand - and then the developer goes to SSE and says "connect me up please" and they say no and suddenly it becomes an issue.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Unexpected problem potentially affecting the long awaited new stadium on 16:45 - Aug 10 with 4079 viewsNewBee

Unexpected problem potentially affecting the long awaited new stadium on 15:49 - Aug 10 by OldPedro

Think I don't understand is why you would build large data centre's in a part of the country where land/property is expensive?

I think they're all out the Great West Road, where all the factories used to be. Meaning that they were permitted for industrial use, rather than residential?

Anyhow, here is my solution for QPR:

1. Bung the Qataris a few quid for Stadium 974 after the World Cup:

Stadium 974
Capacity: 40,000 Distance from Doha city centre: 6 miles Designer: FIA Fenwick Iribarren Architects Games: Seven, up to last 16

In a first for the World Cup, this stadium has been made from 974 shipping containers and other materials that can easily be dismantled after the tournament finishes.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-10830083/2022-World-Cup-gui

2. Ship it to England, up the Thames and the Grand Union Canal/River Brent and haul it to the Scrubs, for re-aasembly - I'm sure there are plenty of geezers who are good with spanner ands wrench, who would be happy to work cash-in-hand, with PM Truss happy not to tax them;

3. Play all games during the day, so no need to use floodlights;

4. Save on microwave and refridgeration for catering by allowing everyone to bring their own flask and sandwiches;

5. Don't bother with flushable toilets, just get a load of those eco-compostable ones and use the contents to fertilise the pitch [insert own joke about "Enough shit out there as it is"];

6. And finally build a giant dynamo under the safe standing terrace so all the energy from the fans jumping up and down can provide essential power (basically Sky Sports' in-house studio, and the Chairman's Executive Suite).

There, that should do it.
Unexpected problem potentially affecting the long awaited new stadium on 16:48 - Aug 10 with 4067 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Unexpected problem potentially affecting the long awaited new stadium on 15:50 - Aug 10 by LythamR

Web site servers, cloud storage, internet routers and switches etc etc

No real need why these should be in urban areas these days apart from the desire to be as close to the main internet switching points. i would have thought there were more attractive locations than west lpndon these days in terms of overhead costs, staff wages, business rates etc

I think they need to be near fibre optic cable networks. Like those running along the M4 which is what draws them to west London, that and the good transport links. I think Swindon is also popular. I’ve just found one based quite near me actually.

https://redwiredc.co.uk/

Unexpected problem potentially affecting the long awaited new stadium on 16:52 - Aug 10 with 4044 viewstkqpr

Unexpected problem potentially affecting the long awaited new stadium on 15:03 - Aug 10 by CliveWilsonSaid

I’d rather do without

I think you're onto something.....keep digging
Unexpected problem potentially affecting the long awaited new stadium on 17:01 - Aug 10 with 4007 viewsBenny_the_Ball

This isn't a problem for QPR, unexpected or otherwise, because there is no new stadium on the horizon.
Unexpected problem potentially affecting the long awaited new stadium on 17:02 - Aug 10 with 4007 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Unexpected problem potentially affecting the long awaited new stadium on 16:52 - Aug 10 by tkqpr

I think you're onto something.....keep digging

Ha. This stuff makes my brain hurts. Think I’ll pass

Do you think this will stop them building more runways at Heathrow?

Me either…
[Post edited 10 Aug 2022 17:05]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024