Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common 14:25 - Jan 27 with 19123 viewsRaymond

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/famous-institution-will-move-to-old-oak-co

The new plans will be seen as a blow to Queens Park Rangers’ ambitions to build a 40,000-seat stadium at Old Oak Common, although the Championship club is still being considered for other potential sites in the area.
Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 14:28 - Jan 27 with 10174 viewsMytch_QPR

Wormwood Scrubs is a 'famous institution'.

I seriously wonder if we'll ever see this new stadium built - it's constructed entirely of tweets and hot air.

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 14:32 - Jan 27 with 10139 viewsRaymond

Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 14:28 - Jan 27 by Mytch_QPR

Wormwood Scrubs is a 'famous institution'.

I seriously wonder if we'll ever see this new stadium built - it's constructed entirely of tweets and hot air.

I think this is the only reason TF is hanging around personally. Will be interesting to see his next move / statement
Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 14:34 - Jan 27 with 10120 viewsNorthernr

Not that I think this will ever happen, and nor do I want it to, but that's a typially lousy bit of Standard journalism. Says the new plans will be seen as a blow to QPR, but then immediately says we're still being considered for other potential sites.

Why will it be seen as a blow? By who? The site is absolutely massive, is this famous institution going to build something the size of a comet leaving absolutely no room for anything else at all? If I'd been subbing or news editing that it'd have been back on the reporter's desk.
Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 14:40 - Jan 27 with 10084 viewsRaymond

Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 14:34 - Jan 27 by Northernr

Not that I think this will ever happen, and nor do I want it to, but that's a typially lousy bit of Standard journalism. Says the new plans will be seen as a blow to QPR, but then immediately says we're still being considered for other potential sites.

Why will it be seen as a blow? By who? The site is absolutely massive, is this famous institution going to build something the size of a comet leaving absolutely no room for anything else at all? If I'd been subbing or news editing that it'd have been back on the reporter's desk.

Can't say I'm overly surprised at today's standard of journalism Clive. Present company excepted.
Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 14:50 - Jan 27 with 10036 viewsJuzzie

Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 14:34 - Jan 27 by Northernr

Depends if your remit as editor is to shift as many copies as possible. I know it's a free paper now but more copies that get read (inc. online clicks) means they can charge more for advertising.
Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 14:56 - Jan 27 with 9995 viewsBlue_Castello

Can't see that this will upset anybody on LFW, I think we are all still happy at Loftus Road and the only reason for moving is if we ever have an established Premiershite team.

Now more importantly can we please have something positive about the new training ground, Lee Hoos says it's one of his main priorities so I'm sort of hoping this won't die a death.
Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 14:57 - Jan 27 with 9987 viewsNorthernr

Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 14:50 - Jan 27 by Juzzie

Depends if your remit as editor is to shift as many copies as possible. I know it's a free paper now but more copies that get read (inc. online clicks) means they can charge more for advertising.

Circulation shouldn't be an issue. Where else would we get our minute by minute, location by location updates on where Cara Delevigne is and what she's doing?

Plus I like to pass the time on the way home by seeing how many paragraphs it is before Rosamund Urwin twists whatever interview, opinion piece or news story she's butchering today to the more important issue of the ongoing persecution of all females by all males in all forms and walks of life all the time, ever. It's rarely more than 150 words into the piece and it's a real talent considering how little relevance it has to some of the topics and people she has to write about. Wonder if I got a job there whether I'd be allowed to shift every feature interview I got onto the issue of rugby league's lack of penetration into the London sporting scene?
Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 14:59 - Jan 27 with 9976 viewsMytch_QPR

Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 14:50 - Jan 27 by Juzzie

I'm not in journalism (sadly) - but I imagine they refer to it as 'output' these days (approx 2% real content). As Clive has mentioned the term 'understands' is widely used and seems like a catch-all indemnity policy for any amount of jackanory-style capers.

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

Login to get fewer ads

Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 15:03 - Jan 27 with 9953 viewsTheBlob

Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 14:57 - Jan 27 by Northernr

Circulation shouldn't be an issue. Where else would we get our minute by minute, location by location updates on where Cara Delevigne is and what she's doing?

Plus I like to pass the time on the way home by seeing how many paragraphs it is before Rosamund Urwin twists whatever interview, opinion piece or news story she's butchering today to the more important issue of the ongoing persecution of all females by all males in all forms and walks of life all the time, ever. It's rarely more than 150 words into the piece and it's a real talent considering how little relevance it has to some of the topics and people she has to write about. Wonder if I got a job there whether I'd be allowed to shift every feature interview I got onto the issue of rugby league's lack of penetration into the London sporting scene?

You'd never get to use the word"penetration" for starters.

New ground?I'm not too happy the way things are going in Asia,we could be staring at new owners within five years.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 15:04 - Jan 27 with 9941 viewsJonDoeman

I love Loftus Rd like the rest of you , but it seems inevitable to me we will move from there eventually , be it now or the distant future when there is no space in the area left to move to, & we end up on a distant retail estate somewhere . So I sort of hope this comes off, even though I suspect it will be shit ! If you see what I mean !

It Is What It Is !!

Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 15:10 - Jan 27 with 9912 viewsMytch_QPR

Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 15:04 - Jan 27 by JonDoeman

I love Loftus Rd like the rest of you , but it seems inevitable to me we will move from there eventually , be it now or the distant future when there is no space in the area left to move to, & we end up on a distant retail estate somewhere . So I sort of hope this comes off, even though I suspect it will be shit ! If you see what I mean !

By the time we get round to it, the current fad for football will have run its course and it will have become massively unfashionable. The Emirates and Old Trafford will be a quarter full and everyone will be applauding the wisdom of Tony Fernandes to stay put in our cosy cave.

Maybe.

(or more likely we'll build a 60,000 seater just before football goes completely out of fashion)

Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 15:10 - Jan 27 with 9906 viewsBasingstokeR

So we are all sure that the "world famous cultural institution" and "household name" relocating to Old Oak Common isn't QPR?

In seriousness what do they mean by that part?
Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 15:13 - Jan 27 with 9881 viewsJamie

Id be amazed if the current board are still here in 10 months, let alone 10 years.
Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 15:13 - Jan 27 with 9880 viewsTheBlob

Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 15:10 - Jan 27 by BasingstokeR

So we are all sure that the "world famous cultural institution" and "household name" relocating to Old Oak Common isn't QPR?

Sue Perkins World.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 15:14 - Jan 27 with 9881 viewsNorthernr

Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 15:10 - Jan 27 by BasingstokeR

They mean they don't know, so they're keeping it vague. Could be anything from the British Museum to Southend United FC.
Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 15:23 - Jan 27 with 9812 viewsBrightonhoop

I still dont see us regularly filling a 40,000 seat stadium anytime soon and just dont believe LR can be replicated.

It's one of the last great old football grounds in the country and I think we'd be daft to leave it.
Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 15:38 - Jan 27 with 9726 viewsQPRDave

Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 15:23 - Jan 27 by Brightonhoop

I still dont see us regularly filling a 40,000 seat stadium anytime soon and just dont believe LR can be replicated.

It's one of the last great old football grounds in the country and I think we'd be daft to leave it.

No maybe not (filling a 40,000) But having a new stadium have revitalised other clubs and could do the same for us I believe
Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 16:05 - Jan 27 with 9619 viewsDorse

Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 14:57 - Jan 27 by Northernr

'A 'Blow' to QPR? 'Penetration' by burly northern rugby league types? Well, it is clear to see where Mr Whittingham's, if that is his real name, priorities lie. If this vicious, phallocentric cabal of misogyny known as Loft (presumably some sort Old Boys' Cub euphemism) For Words isn't stopped soon, then we will never have true equality in this Britain we used to call 'Great'!'

Ms R Urwin.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 16:14 - Jan 27 with 9574 viewsCamberleyR

I know the Estadio Do Bessa in Portugal is a favourite design of a few people (myself included) and I was looking at this photo today, one I had never seen before.

Looking at that, is the footprint of it really any bigger than the site at LR?

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 16:22 - Jan 27 with 9537 viewstoboboly

Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 15:38 - Jan 27 by QPRDave

No maybe not (filling a 40,000) But having a new stadium have revitalised other clubs and could do the same for us I believe

Or could kill a club. eg Wimbledon going to MK. Coventry going out of town. Works both ways.

I vote for staying at Loftus Road.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 16:36 - Jan 27 with 9463 viewsNorthernr

Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 16:05 - Jan 27 by Dorse

'A 'Blow' to QPR? 'Penetration' by burly northern rugby league types? Well, it is clear to see where Mr Whittingham's, if that is his real name, priorities lie. If this vicious, phallocentric cabal of misogyny known as Loft (presumably some sort Old Boys' Cub euphemism) For Words isn't stopped soon, then we will never have true equality in this Britain we used to call 'Great'!'

Ms R Urwin.

Jesus I actually thought it was her for a minute there, until the Ms. She'd never use Ms. It would simply be M. Or her full name written out longhand using pen and ink. Or simply URWIN carved into the bloodied forehead of whichever oppressive male had demanded she include a title in her signature in the first place.
Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 16:38 - Jan 27 with 9444 viewsCamberleyR

Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 16:22 - Jan 27 by toboboly

Or could kill a club. eg Wimbledon going to MK. Coventry going out of town. Works both ways.

Give you Coventry, yes. The Wimbledon thing is a completely different kettle of fish. Moving to a new ground didn't kill them, it was moving to a new ground 70 miles away.

For every Coventry you have a Leicester, Southampton, Stoke, Sunderland, Hull, Middlesbrough, Derby, Reading, Cardiff, Huddersfield who significantly increased their core and average attendances from when they last played in their old grounds, some crumbling, many not fit for purpose in the late 20th/21st century.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 16:39 - Jan 27 with 9436 viewsQPRDave

Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 16:22 - Jan 27 by toboboly

Just thought we we wouldn't be leaving London mate.
Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 16:52 - Jan 27 with 9377 viewstoboboly

Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 16:39 - Jan 27 by QPRDave

Just thought we we wouldn't be leaving London mate.

We'll probably get it wrong and go for Oak Park in Illinois.

Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 16:54 - Jan 27 with 9367 viewstoboboly

Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 16:38 - Jan 27 by CamberleyR

Give you Coventry, yes. The Wimbledon thing is a completely different kettle of fish. Moving to a new ground didn't kill them, it was moving to a new ground 70 miles away.

For every Coventry you have a Leicester, Southampton, Stoke, Sunderland, Hull, Middlesbrough, Derby, Reading, Cardiff, Huddersfield who significantly increased their core and average attendances from when they last played in their old grounds, some crumbling, many not fit for purpose in the late 20th/21st century.

Having seen Cardiff a few times on the TV they get bugger all to their new ground, never seen fans drop off so quickly. All happy clappy in red then *bang* a ghost town. Couldn't happen to a nicer club.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024