Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If you could choose one of the following for this season which would it be? 23:26 - Nov 12 with 3209 viewsFredManRave

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

If you could choose one of the following for this season which would it be? on 23:52 - Nov 12 with 2338 viewsFredManRave

Tough one proven by the fact that I've just voted but I now want to change my vote!

I will have to stick with my first answer which was promotion to the Premier League. Obviously I'd love us to win the F.A.Cup but the fact is that it doesn't/wouldn't mean as much as it used to. I'm fully aware of what the Premier League means these days but despite that I still want us to be a part of that and we need to get back there as soon as possible and I'm confident that we'd make a much better fist of it next time around. Playing the best teams on a reglular basis and beating some of the bigger teams on a somewhat less regular basis is surely what we should be aiming for. An F.A.Cup run these days consists of games against lower league teams resulting in poor attendances/atmosphere if played at home and/or playing a Premier League teams second eleven. Hardly glamorous stuff although just maybe the final, the memory of that day and the trophy would make it all worthwhile. Nearly but not quite, imo.

I've got the Power.

If you could choose one of the following for this season which would it be? on 09:05 - Nov 13 with 2238 viewsscot1963

unless the thinking is it's best to have time to regroup before going back up, it has to be promotion while the experience is fresh get back up there pronto - even if there weren't too many highlights during the time up there
If you could choose one of the following for this season which would it be? on 09:20 - Nov 13 with 2213 viewssimmo

How is this a tough decision in any way?

An FA CUP final day at Wembley, which we win. There is literally nothing better than that for a club of our size. Nothing.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

If you could choose one of the following for this season which would it be? on 09:30 - Nov 13 with 2201 viewsTW_R

If you could choose one of the following for this season which would it be? on 09:20 - Nov 13 by simmo

How is this a tough decision in any way?

An FA CUP final day at Wembley, which we win. There is literally nothing better than that for a club of our size. Nothing.

Other than being promoted of course.
If you could choose one of the following for this season which would it be? on 09:48 - Nov 13 with 2176 viewskropotkin41

Not difficult at all because if we're getting to write a Christmas list.......... why limit it to this season? I'll go for promotion this year and win the FA Cup next.

Whilst we're busy aiming to finish 17th in the Prem a successful FA Cup campaign will cheer us all up.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

If you could choose one of the following for this season which would it be? on 09:51 - Nov 13 with 2173 viewsWokingR

If you could choose one of the following for this season which would it be? on 09:30 - Nov 13 by TW_R

+1
For me it is about the season long experience rather than one big day out so promotion would be my preferrence.
The best example for me is the attractiveness of away fixtures. Renewing the season ticket was a given but there are so few away fixturesin the Championship that get my juices flowing compared to being in the Premiership.
If you could choose one of the following for this season which would it be? on 10:08 - Nov 13 with 2150 viewsloftus77

If you could choose one of the following for this season which would it be? on 09:51 - Nov 13 by WokingR

+1
For me it is about the season long experience rather than one big day out so promotion would be my preferrence.
The best example for me is the attractiveness of away fixtures. Renewing the season ticket was a given but there are so few away fixturesin the Championship that get my juices flowing compared to being in the Premiership.

Its a great question - one which neatly sums up the dilemna of modern football really.

My head says promotion as this would obviously be great for the club and its media exposure, Premier League riches (for whom?) etc..etc.

But my heart says the Cup - this is what I voted for. I remember when I was 12 (a fair few yearsago) saying my lifetime ambition was to see Rangers win the FA Cup and that will never change. Ask any Wigan fan - it may have been 5.30 on a Sat in May - but no one can take what they achieved off that honours board.
[Post edited 13 Nov 2013 10:09]
If you could choose one of the following for this season which would it be? on 10:10 - Nov 13 with 2139 viewstoboboly

Winning an FA Cup.

I've done the Premiership thing and apart from one or two moments it wasn't particularly thrilling. But a cup run with two visits to Wembley? That is going to stay with you forever.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Login to get fewer ads

If you could choose one of the following for this season which would it be? on 10:32 - Nov 13 with 2127 viewssimmo

If you could choose one of the following for this season which would it be? on 09:30 - Nov 13 by TW_R

Not for me. We will never win the Premier League so can only win this league, which is bittersweet for me as it simply means being involved in the hyperbole of the Premiership and all it's corporate shite.

To me it is nothing like a day out in Wembley, a proper tell your granchildren experience that will stay in our history and record books well above a promotion. I think there is potentially greater achievement in being the best over a 46 game season, but as a fan of a club our size, winning the FA Cup would be the pinnacle.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

If you could choose one of the following for this season which would it be? on 10:54 - Nov 13 with 2102 viewsDevonWhite

I'm astonished this is as close as it is. We've already been promoted from this division as champions within the last few years! We've NEVER won the FA Cup.
If you could choose one of the following for this season which would it be? on 11:41 - Nov 13 with 2069 viewsKonk

With all due respect, anyone who doesn’t vote for an FA cup win at Wembley over promotion to the Premier League is a black-hearted, spiritually-dead, soulless, joyless anti-romantic. Success and glory is winning cups, not wan king yourself into a frenzy because you’ve finished sixteenth in the Premier League. I would take the cup and relegation over staying up this season.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

If you could choose one of the following for this season which would it be? on 11:56 - Nov 13 with 2055 viewsscot1963

If you could choose one of the following for this season which would it be? on 11:41 - Nov 13 by Konk

With all due respect, anyone who doesn’t vote for an FA cup win at Wembley over promotion to the Premier League is a black-hearted, spiritually-dead, soulless, joyless anti-romantic. Success and glory is winning cups, not wan king yourself into a frenzy because you’ve finished sixteenth in the Premier League. I would take the cup and relegation over staying up this season.

it is a truth that anyone who starts a sentence 'with all due respect' has no intention of doing so . Wait till you get Claridge dissecting your 30 seconds of airplay and then come back and say the same. It's a nightmare league to get out of, stay here for too long and chances are you're in for the long run - it's not the end of the world but not exactly aspirational
If you could choose one of the following for this season which would it be? on 12:45 - Nov 13 with 1995 viewsFredManRave

If you could choose one of the following for this season which would it be? on 11:41 - Nov 13 by Konk

A bit out or touch and defeatist there Konk. The fact is that the F.A.Cup has been devalued immensely over the last 20 years. No football fan likes it but it is a fact. It's almost unrecognisable from what it was and what it used to mean. And that's reflected by clubs approach to pre semi final games with even championship clubs putting out their second 11 and all this has understandably filtered down to the fans as proven with early round attendances. It's F.A.Cup in name only these days. Obviously the fay out at Wembley (presumably second after the semi) would be an unforgettable day.

As for finishing 16th in the Prem. You should be so lucky!

People use the Wigan example but then I wonder if Southampton fans would swap from where they are now?!

I've got the Power.

If you could choose one of the following for this season which would it be? on 12:52 - Nov 13 with 1981 viewsClive_Anderson

Going up just means a couple of years of getting thrashed, sacking the manager that got you there and then getting relegated with huge debts and a load of players on massive contracts.

Winning the FA Cup will last forever.
If you could choose one of the following for this season which would it be? on 13:23 - Nov 13 with 1951 viewsTW_R

If you could choose one of the following for this season which would it be? on 12:52 - Nov 13 by Clive_Anderson

Going up just means a couple of years of getting thrashed, sacking the manager that got you there and then getting relegated with huge debts and a load of players on massive contracts.

Winning the FA Cup will last forever.

I think FredMan pretty much sums it up for me.

There's very little merit in getting to an FA Cup final nowadays. You play 2nd string teams who have very little interest in the competition. I have very little interest in it. I couldn't list the last 10 winners.

Actually, thinking about it, I couldn't list the last 3 winners.

I think winning a play-off final would be far more enjoyable than winning the FA Cup.
If you could choose one of the following for this season which would it be? on 13:37 - Nov 13 with 1932 viewsKonk

FA cup for me every day. Don’t believe the hype — I know Pompey, Man City and Birmingham fans who all say that their first win at Wembley was one of the greatest days of their lives, whether it was the FA or League cup. Crowds are probably down because (a) some clubs play reserves, (b) we spend so much following league games that people either don’t have the spare cash after Christmas or refuse to be exploited any further and (c) some people are unromantic bas tards and think there’s no life outside of the PL. You generally get decent away followings in the cup. I just want to see Fulham win a major honour and have a great day out at Wembley - and another go in Europe. Isn’t that what football’s about? Isn’t that why it started? Cups and glory?

If you could choose one of the following for this season which would it be? on 13:41 - Nov 13 with 1924 viewsisawqpratwcity

Winning the FA Cup is a hallmark achievement. But what has it done for Wigan recently?

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

If you could choose one of the following for this season which would it be? on 13:42 - Nov 13 with 1922 viewstoboboly

If you could choose one of the following for this season which would it be? on 13:41 - Nov 13 by isawqpratwcity

Winning the FA Cup is a hallmark achievement. But what has it done for Wigan recently?

They were gonna get relegated anyway.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

If you could choose one of the following for this season which would it be? on 13:44 - Nov 13 with 1920 viewsKonk

If you could choose one of the following for this season which would it be? on 13:41 - Nov 13 by isawqpratwcity

"I'll never forget the day we won the cup"

"I'll never forget the day we finished 14th in the Premier League"

Which one of those sounds more exciting?

If you could choose one of the following for this season which would it be? on 13:46 - Nov 13 with 1917 viewsJuzzie

FA CUP, then promotion next season.
If you could choose one of the following for this season which would it be? on 13:49 - Nov 13 with 1911 viewsscot1963

If you could choose one of the following for this season which would it be? on 13:37 - Nov 13 by Konk

FA cup for me every day. Don’t believe the hype — I know Pompey, Man City and Birmingham fans who all say that their first win at Wembley was one of the greatest days of their lives, whether it was the FA or League cup. Crowds are probably down because (a) some clubs play reserves, (b) we spend so much following league games that people either don’t have the spare cash after Christmas or refuse to be exploited any further and (c) some people are unromantic bas tards and think there’s no life outside of the PL. You generally get decent away followings in the cup. I just want to see Fulham win a major honour and have a great day out at Wembley - and another go in Europe. Isn’t that what football’s about? Isn’t that why it started? Cups and glory?

it was when I was growing up - we all sat in front of the tv and watched the build up and the match but it isn't like that any more. Romance is strictly for the bedroom
[Post edited 13 Nov 2013 13:52]
If you could choose one of the following for this season which would it be? on 14:05 - Nov 13 with 1877 viewsizlingtonhoop

What fun the Premier league is...
As Konk keeps trying to point out, there's no trophy for staying up. Although there is a two out of three chance of one for going up (how unfair, then, you don't get one for second in the championship!)
How I would love to experience us winning a cup!
I've been far more content leaving LR these three months than the crushing humiliation of last season.
Hey, the five home wins on the trot were joyous, particularly considering some of the hows and whos, but all in all I'd trade it for a cup and a day at the big house.
If you could choose one of the following for this season which would it be? on 14:11 - Nov 13 with 1870 viewsisawqpratwcity

If you could choose one of the following for this season which would it be? on 13:44 - Nov 13 by Konk

"I'll never forget the day we won the cup"

"I'll never forget the day we finished 14th in the Premier League"

Which one of those sounds more exciting?

A very persuasive argument. (Konk, I view you like Smiley does Karla, in "Smiley's People"; we will blackmail you over to us. (Please send some incriminating pictures))

But where are Wigan today? How are they going to hook onto that money tit that is the only lifeline to success?

I found QPR as the little club that could. I want us to be the little club that does. That doesn't start outside of the Premier.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

If you could choose one of the following for this season which would it be? on 14:20 - Nov 13 with 1853 viewsClive_Anderson

If you could choose one of the following for this season which would it be? on 14:11 - Nov 13 by isawqpratwcity

A very persuasive argument. (Konk, I view you like Smiley does Karla, in "Smiley's People"; we will blackmail you over to us. (Please send some incriminating pictures))

But where are Wigan today? How are they going to hook onto that money tit that is the only lifeline to success?

I found QPR as the little club that could. I want us to be the little club that does. That doesn't start outside of the Premier.

But what is success? To me is it competing for and winning trophies.

Being happy to be in a competition you have absolutely no chance of winning at the expense of trying in the competitions you might have a smalll chance is not really a definition of success.
If you could choose one of the following for this season which would it be? on 14:24 - Nov 13 with 1847 viewsJeff

We still wheel out the Cup winning side of '67 at every opportunity to parade the pitch. I'm only 33, and i know all about us going 2-0 down before three second half goals won it for us.

I never saw any of that cup winning squad play, but i know all about them, that team, and that game.

You think in years to come the likes of Bradley Orr, Hogan Ephraim or Tommy Smith are going to be paraded around Loftus Road like heroes for winning the league in 10/11?

Cup every time. At the end of the day, you can't place 16th place in your silverware cabinet. Wigan may not be having a wonderful time post winning the FA Cup, but I bet you real money that the majority of their fans can tell you exactly what they were doing when Ben Watson headed in the winner...

Can we not knock it?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024