Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Would you take Brendan back next season 09:53 - Mar 20 with 10624 viewsmarchamjack

Big yes from me if a possibility.

Thanks to Guidolin for playing his part in keeping us up, but that Barrow Naughton subbing finished me with him. Collective groan around me too.

Bring back Brendan.

Or even Benitez if Newcastle go down would be great if he'd come to us.

Oh,..Dave, what's occuring?

Would you take Brendan back next season on 12:22 - Mar 21 with 1909 viewslondonlisa2001

Would you take Brendan back next season on 12:16 - Mar 21 by vetchonian

The problem we never really lloked like scoring.If Guzan had not been so inept we might have just scraped a goaless draw.......against the side in the league with the worst defensive record?
We didnt even open them up after going 1 up. It beggars belief that our side away at Bournemouth ( a side in form )was more attacking than how we set up at home. I could understand it if it had been the other away around so ~I question Franco. Would I want Brendan back next season? Well there is that age old adage never go back...he was great for us at the time but now Im not so sure

Our back four is not good enough. When we play a more attack minded midfield we score but then concede 3 goals and lose. In order to shore up the defence we have to play a more defensive minded midfield and therefore look toothless. It's the defence that forces the boring beyond belief set up - that's the actual issue.

We are in desperate need of two full backs and another centre half. We may then be able to p,any a midfield that doesn't spend its entire time sorting out the defence. Leon had to come on to get to the second ball on Saturday - that's largely because we didn't win any first balls to speak if because Fede didn't beat Gestede once that I can recall, and Rangel was completely unable to deal with Ayew.
Would you take Brendan back next season on 13:48 - Mar 21 with 1848 viewsStarsky

Would you take Brendan back next season on 12:16 - Mar 21 by vetchonian

The problem we never really lloked like scoring.If Guzan had not been so inept we might have just scraped a goaless draw.......against the side in the league with the worst defensive record?
We didnt even open them up after going 1 up. It beggars belief that our side away at Bournemouth ( a side in form )was more attacking than how we set up at home. I could understand it if it had been the other away around so ~I question Franco. Would I want Brendan back next season? Well there is that age old adage never go back...he was great for us at the time but now Im not so sure

Well, Bournemouth re-signed their manager who flopped at Burnley.
I don't think they regret it

It's just the internet, init.

Would you take Brendan back next season on 14:21 - Mar 21 with 1819 viewsUxbridge

Would you take Brendan back next season on 12:18 - Mar 21 by londonlisa2001

That powder puff challenge he made when Southampton scored their third goal was pretty reminiscent of Ki to be fair !!

In all seriousness, I'd have Joe back next season.

Didn't see MOTD to be honest. He could be hobbling around on 1 leg and I'd have him ahead of Ki!!

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Would you take Brendan back next season on 16:12 - Mar 21 with 1759 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Would you take Brendan back next season on 14:05 - Mar 20 by KrisP

"Brendan inherited a good side at Swansea and it went stale"

Are you serious? In his two seasons, he took got us promoted and then 11th in the Premier League. Even his last game was a win against Liverpool.

You obviously like to cherry pick your data.
In his first year in the Championship he had
55% wins 16% Draws and 29% losses in all comps.
In his second year when he was in the Prem he had
32% wins 27% Draws and 41% losses in all comps.
By comparison ML with Michu and the Spaniards had
36% wins 32% Draws and 32% losses in all comps.
ML & GM in the year it all went wrong had
31% wins 24% Draws and 44% losses in all comps.
GM On his own had
44% wins 19% Draws and 37% losses in all comps.
GM/AC/FG have had
29% wins 26% Draws and 44% losses in all comps.

So BR in the Prem was not particularly effective despite the 11th position.

But I was wrong about him tailing off in his second year, as you specifically picked out his last game as a win against Liverpool, but forget to mention in his last 9 games he had only 2 wins, 2 draws & 5 losses, which is identical to his first 9 games that season.

Which all goes to prove that The Prem seems to be continually evolving, especially for the Mid section positions, but now even for the top 6, making it ever harder to compare seasons.
Would you take Brendan back next season on 16:34 - Mar 21 with 1744 viewsUxbridge

Would you take Brendan back next season on 16:12 - Mar 21 by A_Fans_Dad

You obviously like to cherry pick your data.
In his first year in the Championship he had
55% wins 16% Draws and 29% losses in all comps.
In his second year when he was in the Prem he had
32% wins 27% Draws and 41% losses in all comps.
By comparison ML with Michu and the Spaniards had
36% wins 32% Draws and 32% losses in all comps.
ML & GM in the year it all went wrong had
31% wins 24% Draws and 44% losses in all comps.
GM On his own had
44% wins 19% Draws and 37% losses in all comps.
GM/AC/FG have had
29% wins 26% Draws and 44% losses in all comps.

So BR in the Prem was not particularly effective despite the 11th position.

But I was wrong about him tailing off in his second year, as you specifically picked out his last game as a win against Liverpool, but forget to mention in his last 9 games he had only 2 wins, 2 draws & 5 losses, which is identical to his first 9 games that season.

Which all goes to prove that The Prem seems to be continually evolving, especially for the Mid section positions, but now even for the top 6, making it ever harder to compare seasons.

You would need to factor in squad quality to that to make it a valid comparison.

He did very well here. Whether he could repeat it is another story, but saying he wasn't a success in both seasons here is clearly wide of the mark.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Would you take Brendan back next season on 16:52 - Mar 21 with 1729 viewslondonlisa2001

Would you take Brendan back next season on 14:21 - Mar 21 by Uxbridge

Didn't see MOTD to be honest. He could be hobbling around on 1 leg and I'd have him ahead of Ki!!

I would as well. I also quite like his new beard and hair band look :-)
Would you take Brendan back next season on 17:09 - Mar 21 with 1716 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Would you take Brendan back next season on 16:34 - Mar 21 by Uxbridge

You would need to factor in squad quality to that to make it a valid comparison.

He did very well here. Whether he could repeat it is another story, but saying he wasn't a success in both seasons here is clearly wide of the mark.

I know about the squads, especially ML having Michu the goal machine.
However BR was not as successful as GM on his own and look how that ended.
BR was not a success at Liverpool when he was the one that was involved in buying the Squad, he did much better with the players that were already there.
Add to that He turned down SCFC in their hour of need, so for me it is thanks, but No Thanks.
But I understand everybody to their own opinion.
Would you take Brendan back next season on 18:43 - Mar 21 with 1673 viewsStarsky

Would you take Brendan back next season on 17:09 - Mar 21 by A_Fans_Dad

I know about the squads, especially ML having Michu the goal machine.
However BR was not as successful as GM on his own and look how that ended.
BR was not a success at Liverpool when he was the one that was involved in buying the Squad, he did much better with the players that were already there.
Add to that He turned down SCFC in their hour of need, so for me it is thanks, but No Thanks.
But I understand everybody to their own opinion.

I think you need to factor in the first 2 seasons as being the more difficult achievement.
That is, establishing a newly promoted club in the Premier League. So many teams have tried and failed.
Brendan Rodgers did great for us.
The way he had Liverpool attacking at pace in the season he finished runners up was a new twist on what he coached down here.
I think you'll find that if he came back he'd have much more in his locker this time.

It's just the internet, init.

Login to get fewer ads

Would you take Brendan back next season on 18:53 - Mar 21 with 1663 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Would you take Brendan back next season on 18:43 - Mar 21 by Starsky

I think you need to factor in the first 2 seasons as being the more difficult achievement.
That is, establishing a newly promoted club in the Premier League. So many teams have tried and failed.
Brendan Rodgers did great for us.
The way he had Liverpool attacking at pace in the season he finished runners up was a new twist on what he coached down here.
I think you'll find that if he came back he'd have much more in his locker this time.

His first season for Liverpool was fantastic and they came so close, but it was with an established team, which he refined superbly.
When he was involved with buying replacements they had a poor year leading to his "leaving".
I would be concerned that he could do the same here, we have already had a bad buying year, we can't really afford another one.
Would you take Brendan back next season on 18:58 - Mar 21 with 1662 viewsDr_Winston

Would you take Brendan back next season on 18:53 - Mar 21 by A_Fans_Dad

His first season for Liverpool was fantastic and they came so close, but it was with an established team, which he refined superbly.
When he was involved with buying replacements they had a poor year leading to his "leaving".
I would be concerned that he could do the same here, we have already had a bad buying year, we can't really afford another one.

There are quite a few questions surrounding just who was responsible for buying and selling at Liverpool. It's a tad unfair to lay the blame for that entirely at his feet.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Would you take Brendan back next season on 19:35 - Mar 21 with 1611 viewsjedijack

Would you take Brendan back next season on 18:53 - Mar 21 by A_Fans_Dad

It was his second season, not first.

He'd had a full season coaching that squad, some of the football they played was breath taking at times IMO.

Big yes from me, will only have improved since leaving us and a 6 month break will have freshened him up.
Would you take Brendan back next season on 21:32 - Mar 21 with 1541 viewsmax936

Would you take Brendan back next season on 11:24 - Mar 21 by Uxbridge

I wouldn't underestimate what the change back to the effin diamond had on our performance on Saturday. That and the realisation that 1 win pretty much guarantees our safety.

We have a decent enough core there already. However we clearly need to move a lot of players on, and bring a lot in. Whether all that can be done in the summer window is another question, but we can make a good start ... and we can start that process from today.

As for the question, I'm OK with the principle of BRodge II. We could do a lot worse. I expect that would also mean the return of Allen, and replacing Ki with him would go a long way to sorting our our central midfield. Sort our wide players out and a couple of strikers and we're not far away then.

Our back four needs work desperately two full backs a dominant CB Caulker with ash in charge maybe a cheap option, but I'm sure he could help sort our set piece problem out under the tutorage of Ash, they worked quite well last time, Joe and Vilhena in midfield a Winger of note and probably a Striker and back up or Paloschi, might in another winger as well, so that'll be 6/7 players

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Would you take Brendan back next season on 21:41 - Mar 21 with 1526 viewsYr_Arglwydd_Rhys

No thanks. Backward step. I'd say give Guidolin the next few games to prove himself. What's he had so far? A few weeks with a demoralised squad that was one point above relegation. Like it or hate it, we're ten points clear (yes, I know Curt's been involved, but with Guidolin's staff on the bench) and almost in the fortunate position to be able to recruit for a seasons in which our finances will get even sillier.

Wait until May, rethink, and go forwards. Brendan is backwards. Oh yes, he also had Suarez during his good Liverpool season. Even we might do well with him up front.
Would you take Brendan back next season on 23:00 - Mar 21 with 1480 viewspikeypaul

Would you take Brendan back next season on 21:41 - Mar 21 by Yr_Arglwydd_Rhys

No thanks. Backward step. I'd say give Guidolin the next few games to prove himself. What's he had so far? A few weeks with a demoralised squad that was one point above relegation. Like it or hate it, we're ten points clear (yes, I know Curt's been involved, but with Guidolin's staff on the bench) and almost in the fortunate position to be able to recruit for a seasons in which our finances will get even sillier.

Wait until May, rethink, and go forwards. Brendan is backwards. Oh yes, he also had Suarez during his good Liverpool season. Even we might do well with him up front.

The fact that "our finances will get even sillier" means nothing since all the other teams are in the same boat and all it means is more money to the same agents and players.

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

Would you take Brendan back next season on 01:25 - Mar 22 with 1437 viewsWanderer

Well I would be happy if we could pinch Eddie Howe off B'mouth but I guess that is nonstarter.
Would you take Brendan back next season on 02:01 - Mar 22 with 1422 viewsTheKirkyLife

Much better managers out there. Simple.
Would you take Brendan back next season on 07:32 - Mar 22 with 1396 viewsSwaneeRiver

Would you take Brendan back next season on 02:01 - Mar 22 by TheKirkyLife

Much better managers out there. Simple.

Of course there are. Trouble is we aren't good enough for them, as shown in the last management appointment farce.
However Pep is going to Man City, Pochettino and Ranieri seem happy at their clubs, and I can't see Luis Enrique leaving Barca to come to us.
We went through the "this manager isn't good enough for us" before and ended up with Monk (did fine for a while but ultimately a fail) and Guidolin who as yet is still unproven in many fan's view.
Brendan did the job here before, and with the backing of the board, plus the fact he is a lot more experienced, he will do the job here again.
Would you take Brendan back next season on 07:48 - Mar 22 with 1384 viewsSwaneeRiver

TBH, if we carry on in the fashion we were on Saturday with Guidolin in charge, even if we stay up, I feel the jeers could turn to abuse before the last game.
Nobody deserves it, but it seems to me the childish booing was only the start.
For the record I'd have Brendan back in a heartbeat. He led us to the PL then left us in a comfortable position before taking a golden opportunity to manage a bigger club.
Would you take Brendan back next season on 10:48 - Mar 22 with 1327 viewscrix

it wouldn't be the end of the world if Brenda came back but I wouldn't be very enthused by his return.

guidolin is a weird one though I'm not sure whats going on there, the villa performance was woeful, but as has been pointed out already hes obviously setting up not to lose and maybe pinch a goal a la typical Italian to get us across the finishing line of survival. however hes not known for that style of play, so maybe a square peg in a round hole at the moment? maybe he could give us what we want with a pre season and his own players, who knows.

personally though Id like us to really have a proper go at getting sampaoli, not a half arsed attempt that we seem to think happened after monks demise. ofc its a bit of a risk being as he has not managed in the premier league before, but sometimes you need to take a chance. i fancy he could find us a few south American starlets too for decent money given his knowledge of that continent.

to sum up, whoever the board decides is the person to take us forward they need to get it sorted as soon as the season ends. so whoever is in charge can have as much time as possible to sort out who we are getting rid of and who the replacements are going to be.
[Post edited 22 Mar 2016 10:58]
Would you take Brendan back next season on 11:51 - Mar 22 with 1290 viewscostalotta

No. Not for me. Been there and done that and ID like to think thatwe can move on and actually bring someone in who can add to what we have. I don't think Brendan can do that as he's already been here.

Let's get an innovator in. Someone who's hungry to prove themselves in the EPL but has had relative success and of course has experience. We were climbing the right tree before Xmas we just didn't pick the fruit for whatever reason. If we stay up, and it's looking likely then we should do it properly this time. No more cheap appointments. Someone who can think for themselves and doesn't need Huw to think for them would be nice.

Rumoured we were talking to the South Americans, emery, de boer, Favre would all be decent propositions and a good appointment IMO of course. If I had to pick, I'd go with Emery but he's probably out of reach these days.m
Would you take Brendan back next season on 13:42 - Mar 22 with 1224 viewsvetchonian

Would you take Brendan back next season on 12:22 - Mar 21 by londonlisa2001

Our back four is not good enough. When we play a more attack minded midfield we score but then concede 3 goals and lose. In order to shore up the defence we have to play a more defensive minded midfield and therefore look toothless. It's the defence that forces the boring beyond belief set up - that's the actual issue.

We are in desperate need of two full backs and another centre half. We may then be able to p,any a midfield that doesn't spend its entire time sorting out the defence. Leon had to come on to get to the second ball on Saturday - that's largely because we didn't win any first balls to speak if because Fede didn't beat Gestede once that I can recall, and Rangel was completely unable to deal with Ayew.

I agree about the defence Lisa BUT at Bournemouth the goals were errors, 1 by Fab exaggerated by Rangel giving his player loads of space , the second goal was due to a great pass a Bournemouth player by Fer and the third ...well it was just us defending at a set piece again,or rather not defending.
Yes we need to replace our current defenders but that does not excuse the strange selection for Saturday, Siggy at Left wing?.
As I said we set up with a more attacking formation away at Bournemouth ,scoring 2 goals against better opposition. Yes we conceded 3 and could have just as eaily conceded the same on Saturday even with that set up....in fact most of the first half was spent in our half with Villa on the front foot.

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

Would you take Brendan back next season on 18:43 - Mar 22 with 1166 viewskarnataka

With regard to BR, I think what one has to do is draw up a list of managers that we might stand a realistic chance of getting which would include BR, put them in order of preference and then think very hard about those above BR in the list and about how realistic our chances really are, or not.
Would you take Brendan back next season on 19:00 - Mar 22 with 1151 viewstomdickharry

If Guidolin goes once thing is cast in stone Jenkins will not pay compensation to another club for their Manager so simply we will contract an out of work Manager,Rodger's no thanks,Sampaoli yes please particularly as Beilsa is a non starter. Lets not mess around looking here there and everywhere,time is of an essence as the European Championships will be with us in June,therefore a new Manager should be in place soon after season end with the mandate/budget to sign the players he requires quickly.
Would you take Brendan back next season on 19:25 - Mar 22 with 1123 viewslondonlisa2001

Would you take Brendan back next season on 13:42 - Mar 22 by vetchonian

I agree about the defence Lisa BUT at Bournemouth the goals were errors, 1 by Fab exaggerated by Rangel giving his player loads of space , the second goal was due to a great pass a Bournemouth player by Fer and the third ...well it was just us defending at a set piece again,or rather not defending.
Yes we need to replace our current defenders but that does not excuse the strange selection for Saturday, Siggy at Left wing?.
As I said we set up with a more attacking formation away at Bournemouth ,scoring 2 goals against better opposition. Yes we conceded 3 and could have just as eaily conceded the same on Saturday even with that set up....in fact most of the first half was spent in our half with Villa on the front foot.

I didn't see the Bournemouth game to be fair as I was away so only listened to it on talk sport.

I agree re our formation on Saturday - I couldn't see why we didn't play Siggy behind and Fer and Ki out wider rather than have Siggy on the 'wing'.

It was more a point that I think our overly defensive set up is caused by the problems we have at the back in general. Although Villa were on the front foot, they didn't really create a clear cut chance (neither of course did we). I'm not excusing us on Saturday by the way - we were absolutely shocking. I think we have a terrible problem particularly at full back but actually at centre back as well. Let's limp to May and see what happens. If we do not invest heavily in the back line, next season could be another shocker.
Would you take Brendan back next season on 19:41 - Mar 22 with 1096 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

I'd like us to get that guy from Seville

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024