Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Restraint of modern players 08:52 - Feb 3 with 2339 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

What I find weird is how restrained players are now. If Bednarek had been most of us, I bet we'd had told the diving little cheat what we thought of him and probably given him a dig when he got up, followed by lamping the ref.

Same with any of these decisions, they all just seem too calm, like the will to fight to incorrect an injustice is bred out of them.

Or just me being too angry?

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Restraint of modern players on 08:57 - Feb 3 with 2328 viewsRipleys_revenge

I think that's an interesting point. Imagine if the Chelsea boys under John Terry had been on the receiving end of some of these decisions. Ref would be placed under police protection. When that penalty and red card was called last night, our lads just stood there with their hands on their heads. I want to see someone lay the nut on Dean!!
Restraint of modern players on 09:01 - Feb 3 with 2305 viewssaint22

I think it’s because they know VAR is watching them so there is no getting away with anything
I wish someone would stand up to Dean though
Restraint of modern players on 09:20 - Feb 3 with 2271 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Restraint of modern players on 08:57 - Feb 3 by Ripleys_revenge

I think that's an interesting point. Imagine if the Chelsea boys under John Terry had been on the receiving end of some of these decisions. Ref would be placed under police protection. When that penalty and red card was called last night, our lads just stood there with their hands on their heads. I want to see someone lay the nut on Dean!!

Exactly! I just think it's human instinct to get angry to correct an injustice - are they too placid? i.e. it's just a (very well paid) job to them so they get on with it?

Being devil's advocate on my own post, I'd love to iron out some people at work some times, but I can't ... but to your point yes you're right, even John Terry and his team would've stood up to them.

I want to see Paulo Di Canio pushing the ref down in a comedy fashion, bloody hell, ANYTHING, some passion and natural instinct.

Restraint of modern players on 09:28 - Feb 3 with 2248 viewskingslandstand1

Restraint of modern players on 08:57 - Feb 3 by Ripleys_revenge

In the case of Dean, it would be worth a lengthy ban just to see him flattened!
Restraint of modern players on 09:29 - Feb 3 with 2246 viewsKennington

For years the recruitment strategy has been to sign nice young lads that don’t rock the boat and settle in to the club. Reed used to talk about it. The advantage is they do great interviews but the downside is they are melts.

Last night we needed a nutcase like Osvaldo or Benali to get in the ref’s face. Who would have begrudged another red and lengthy ban if someone had planted one on frankly of them including the ref. The one mentalist in the team last night needed to have lasted a little longer than two minutes.

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

Restraint of modern players on 09:58 - Feb 3 with 2203 viewsRon11

Restraint of modern players on 09:29 - Feb 3 by Kennington

For years the recruitment strategy has been to sign nice young lads that don’t rock the boat and settle in to the club. Reed used to talk about it. The advantage is they do great interviews but the downside is they are melts.

Last night we needed a nutcase like Osvaldo or Benali to get in the ref’s face. Who would have begrudged another red and lengthy ban if someone had planted one on frankly of them including the ref. The one mentalist in the team last night needed to have lasted a little longer than two minutes.

The last time I saw some real grit like that was when David Prutton got sent off against Arsenal at st Mary's.
On that occasion also, the anger was more than justified.
Restraint of modern players on 10:41 - Feb 3 with 2150 viewsSonicBoom

I imagine that the fact it was the 93rd minute and we were already 8 nil down the players probably didn't feel it was worth protesting about at that stage.

That said , and I appreciate I seem to be in a minority of one here, but the team showed absolutely zero fight from about the second minute. Everyone blames Mike Dean, or VAR or whatever and they all played their part. But the lack of determination and guts not to be humiliated was beyond belief. And it's not the first time.
I've seen some truly awful Saints teams, and inept managers, but until last season I'd never seen any of them get beat 9-0. Now I've seen it twice.
Restraint of modern players on 11:33 - Feb 3 with 2084 viewsMattFinish

Restraint of modern players on 10:41 - Feb 3 by SonicBoom

I imagine that the fact it was the 93rd minute and we were already 8 nil down the players probably didn't feel it was worth protesting about at that stage.

That said , and I appreciate I seem to be in a minority of one here, but the team showed absolutely zero fight from about the second minute. Everyone blames Mike Dean, or VAR or whatever and they all played their part. But the lack of determination and guts not to be humiliated was beyond belief. And it's not the first time.
I've seen some truly awful Saints teams, and inept managers, but until last season I'd never seen any of them get beat 9-0. Now I've seen it twice.

How often did you see us go top?
Login to get fewer ads

Restraint of modern players on 11:53 - Feb 3 with 2067 viewsSonicBoom

We've had our moments. We were runners up in 84 and we've been top 4 for periods under Koeman and Poch.

I'm not saying sack the bloke but this hand ringing and blaming the ref, VAR and anyone except the players and Ralph is weird.
We've lost four in a row and we stopped scoring long before that. Again I'm not saying sack the bloke but I'm saying you can't just absolve the players and Ralph. Losing by 4 or 5 I can take. But 9 ? Again? We as fans should have higher expectations than that.
Read Dan Sheldon's piece in the Athletic today. It seems fair and reasoned.
Restraint of modern players on 11:58 - Feb 3 with 2056 viewskingslandstand1

Restraint of modern players on 09:58 - Feb 3 by Ron11

The last time I saw some real grit like that was when David Prutton got sent off against Arsenal at st Mary's.
On that occasion also, the anger was more than justified.

He also got a 10 match ban but bet he felt good for it
Restraint of modern players on 12:43 - Feb 3 with 1987 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Restraint of modern players on 11:58 - Feb 3 by kingslandstand1

He also got a 10 match ban but bet he felt good for it

Absolutely, I'd forgotten about that incident!

A "team of absolute melts" is about right.

Restraint of modern players on 13:19 - Feb 3 with 1955 viewsPaleRider

It's not just the players though is it? Ralph's reaction is also too nice and the fans are hardly Marseilles ultras are we? Although I have to admit to looking forward to the first time that Dean and/or Mason referee one of our games with a crowd!
Restraint of modern players on 13:49 - Feb 3 with 1906 viewsA1079

Restraint of modern players on 10:41 - Feb 3 by SonicBoom

You are not alone Sonic and as much as I am angry with the referee and VAR decisions in this match and particularly in the Villa match, they cannot be allowed to cloud and be used as a scapegoat for some fundamental underlying issues or failings:-

- why did the team collapse like that for the 2nd year in a row? There were still enough experienced players to shut up shop, show some fight and at least keep the level and manner of defeat limited? There was none;
- Ralph seems to just have one game plan - why has he not drilled it into the guys and the team what to do when events like the sending off happens? Most teams may have one freak result in a generation - we have had 2 now in 2 seasons and you would not bet against it not happening again. If that was another team I don't think they would have lost by 9-0;
- where were the captains and the leaders on the pitch last night and here I point the finger at the experienced ones. I did not see anyone pointing and directing the young ones. They were like lambs to the slaughter.

Deal with the issue of the officials and VAR but we seriously need to look at ourselves:-

- game management/tactics that adapt to different situations
- soft underbelly/lack of fight that caves in
- wider issues of our recruitment and departure policy -given how threadbare we were/are why did we let players go on loan who in terms of financial terms would have made little impact to our financial situation
- lack of investment in quality and experience
- number of repeat and long term injuries
- absence of players that join us and then don't deliver anything
Restraint of modern players on 14:31 - Feb 3 with 1862 viewskingslandstand1

Restraint of modern players on 13:19 - Feb 3 by PaleRider

It's not just the players though is it? Ralph's reaction is also too nice and the fans are hardly Marseilles ultras are we? Although I have to admit to looking forward to the first time that Dean and/or Mason referee one of our games with a crowd!

He'll go for record number of sending's off without having to abandon the game! (7?)
Restraint of modern players on 17:56 - Feb 3 with 1757 viewsNewdawn2014

I think that`s just his demeanor, I would have wanted to do a Cantona on Martial .
Restraint of modern players on 10:38 - Feb 4 with 1644 viewsRon11

Restraint of modern players on 13:19 - Feb 3 by PaleRider

I would definitely agree that Ralph's reactions are too nice.
Also if a game plan actually works, it's all fine. But if it all starts to go wrong there doesn't seem to be a plan B, only capitulation.
How many times have we seen them a goal or two down and he just sticks with the plan that isn't working or throws (sometimes illogical) substitutes at it, sometimes in the last five minutes for example, when it's just about too late?
Tactics don't always seem to be his strong point - starting Djenepo instead of Redmond against Man Utd. was a strange one. Djenepo seems to be a good lad but at the moment he should be an impact substitution for tired legs.
And there seemed no anger after the game against a second bout of disallowed goals, penalties not given, and penalties given with a sending off by the same referee.
Are they even going to contest Bednarek's red card/penalty? Just about all over the footballing world the opinion seems to be that it was a blatant dive- I've seen nothing yet...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024