Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Farewell Bertie Auld 19:40 - Nov 14 with 951 viewsBerber

The Celtic European Cup win was a landmark event for proper football in the UK. It inspired thousands of lads to go for it.
Farewell Bertie Auld on 19:59 - Nov 14 with 927 viewsWints76

Went on a tour of Celtic Park back in the summer. The lad doing the tour was only about 30, and was telling us about the ground etc when his voice tailed off and he was quite overcome with emotion, as Bertie Auld (and John Clark) came walking out of the players tunnel right by us. The lad actually had to compose himself and explain what it meant to him to see Auld and what a hero he was. A big loss
Farewell Bertie Auld on 22:59 - Nov 14 with 854 viewsChesham_Saint

Farewell Bertie Auld on 19:59 - Nov 14 by Wints76

Went on a tour of Celtic Park back in the summer. The lad doing the tour was only about 30, and was telling us about the ground etc when his voice tailed off and he was quite overcome with emotion, as Bertie Auld (and John Clark) came walking out of the players tunnel right by us. The lad actually had to compose himself and explain what it meant to him to see Auld and what a hero he was. A big loss

Massive club…but what are they doing about their sectarian support?

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Farewell Bertie Auld on 00:22 - Nov 15 with 827 viewsSadoldgit

I know it seems strange now, but back then we all got behind British teams in European competitions and although I have only vague recollections of the match itself, I remember the family siting around the TV cheering Celtic on. Sad news as yet another hero from the past has passed away. RIP.
Farewell Bertie Auld on 00:52 - Nov 15 with 824 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Never heard of him, but RIP.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Farewell Bertie Auld on 12:21 - Nov 15 with 727 viewsSadoldgit

I remember it being a big deal at the time. Celtic became the first British team to with the European Cup closely followed by Manchester United in 1968 who became the first English team to win it. We were all thrilled back then and wanted our home teams to do well. I’m not sure when and why that all changed but it seems incredible now.
Farewell Bertie Auld on 12:31 - Nov 15 with 722 viewsbarry_sanchez

Farewell Bertie Auld on 22:59 - Nov 14 by Chesham_Saint

Massive club…but what are they doing about their sectarian support?

Promoting it, that is how they came to be irrespective of what they say.

He who is silent and bows his head dies every time he does so. He who speaks aloud and walks with his head held high dies only once. —Giovanni Falcone
Poll: What is your favourite poll?

Farewell Bertie Auld on 19:59 - Nov 15 with 663 viewsChesham_Saint

Farewell Bertie Auld on 12:31 - Nov 15 by barry_sanchez

Promoting it, that is how they came to be irrespective of what they say.

I have to admit, I’m not at all keen on them. But then I have an aversion to the IRA.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Farewell Bertie Auld on 11:28 - Nov 16 with 607 viewsbarry_sanchez

And when Celtic won it they played footballing giants like Nantes and Vojvodina................

He who is silent and bows his head dies every time he does so. He who speaks aloud and walks with his head held high dies only once. —Giovanni Falcone

Login to get fewer ads

Farewell Bertie Auld on 12:01 - Nov 16 with 599 viewsBerber

Farewell Bertie Auld on 11:28 - Nov 16 by barry_sanchez

And when Celtic won it they played footballing giants like Nantes and Vojvodina................

It is not as if the likes of Bayern Munich, Hamburg, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, Torino, AC and Inter Milan et al were no around at the time though. I don't think you can dismiss winning Europe's top club competition so lightly. Not that I am a big Celtic supporter, for the same reason as given above.
Farewell Bertie Auld on 12:04 - Nov 16 with 597 viewsSadoldgit

Farewell Bertie Auld on 11:28 - Nov 16 by barry_sanchez

And beat those footballing minnows Inter Milan in the final.
As for belittling their achievement, the fact that they were the first British team to win the competition tells you all you need to know about where British teams stood in the world rankings in those days. Given the time you spend slagging Saints off as being under achievers, I’m sure you will appreciate since they opened the floodgates in 1967, British teams have done a lot better in Europe since.
Oh and well done in turning a tribute into someone who has passed away into another of your bitter jibes against something on the very long bucket list of Barry Sanchez personal vendettas.
[Post edited 16 Nov 2021 12:08]
Farewell Bertie Auld on 16:08 - Nov 16 with 572 viewsbarry_sanchez

Farewell Bertie Auld on 12:04 - Nov 16 by Sadoldgit

And beat those footballing minnows Inter Milan in the final.
As for belittling their achievement, the fact that they were the first British team to win the competition tells you all you need to know about where British teams stood in the world rankings in those days. Given the time you spend slagging Saints off as being under achievers, I’m sure you will appreciate since they opened the floodgates in 1967, British teams have done a lot better in Europe since.
Oh and well done in turning a tribute into someone who has passed away into another of your bitter jibes against something on the very long bucket list of Barry Sanchez personal vendettas.
[Post edited 16 Nov 2021 12:08]

Spurs were the first to win a major European trophy, anyway we digress.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024