Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
new keeper...... 18:11 - Feb 15 with 2011 viewssaint22

It would appear FF has raised his game back to levels we know he can reach since his reinstatement as number 1
Does that mean he may stay?
Clearly we should be selling AM and HL but who do we bring in?
new keeper...... on 20:42 - Feb 15 with 1917 viewsElijahK

Well if we’re gonna be selling those two (or whichever two we do sell) then we’ll definitely need to buy a new keeper, and if we’re gonna buy a new one, then why not buy one that can consistently keep in form and can actually distribute the ball. As it looks like Burnley could be going down, so Pope could be an option, buts still any one of Johnstone, Pope or Henderson I’d certainly be happy with in goal, and even if whoever we keep outta the 4 goalies, keep playing well, then it’ll only make the competition for the number 1 spot even better.

Poll: Should the football be on again next weekend

new keeper...... on 21:07 - Feb 15 with 1891 viewscocklebreath

Someone from Finland or Norway, no over hyped English keepers who will cost a fortune

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

new keeper...... on 21:30 - Feb 15 with 1862 viewsButty101

new keeper...... on 20:42 - Feb 15 by ElijahK

Well if we’re gonna be selling those two (or whichever two we do sell) then we’ll definitely need to buy a new keeper, and if we’re gonna buy a new one, then why not buy one that can consistently keep in form and can actually distribute the ball. As it looks like Burnley could be going down, so Pope could be an option, buts still any one of Johnstone, Pope or Henderson I’d certainly be happy with in goal, and even if whoever we keep outta the 4 goalies, keep playing well, then it’ll only make the competition for the number 1 spot even better.

We all know you are Related to McCarthy and think he is is better than average. But Forester is a class above him and deserves anew contract. Even Ralph has been praising Forester.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

new keeper...... on 21:47 - Feb 15 with 1834 viewsElijahK

new keeper...... on 21:30 - Feb 15 by Butty101

We all know you are Related to McCarthy and think he is is better than average. But Forester is a class above him and deserves anew contract. Even Ralph has been praising Forester.

Ok but even if we keep him (who has been decent recently) and sell/release at least two of McCarthy, Caballero and Lewis, then we’ll need at least 1 new goalie, so we might as well get one of the better ones available so that it keeps up some competition for the number 1 spot, and if one was to go into poor form, we’ll have a great keeper as backup, rather than a less poor/average one

new keeper...... on 22:25 - Feb 15 with 1797 viewsBicester_North

I reckon we will go for a youngster and keep McCarthy

That Bijlow at Feyenoord maybe is the type, Liverpool were thought to be after him at one point and he won’t be in big money even though he’s played for Holland

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

new keeper...... on 22:30 - Feb 15 with 1788 viewscocklebreath

new keeper...... on 22:25 - Feb 15 by Bicester_North

I reckon we will go for a youngster and keep McCarthy

That Bijlow at Feyenoord maybe is the type, Liverpool were thought to be after him at one point and he won’t be in big money even though he’s played for Holland

I f&ck in hope not, that would be a shocking decision. Personally I’d get rid of McCarthy and Forster, give Willy a years contract and spend the huge wages from the 2 released on a proper top keeper. Preferably not English

new keeper...... on 22:34 - Feb 15 with 1786 viewsElijahK

new keeper...... on 22:30 - Feb 15 by cocklebreath

I f&ck in hope not, that would be a shocking decision. Personally I’d get rid of McCarthy and Forster, give Willy a years contract and spend the huge wages from the 2 released on a proper top keeper. Preferably not English

Why not an English one? As some of the best ones that could be available, and would be willing to join us, will be the English ones (Pope, Henderson, Johnstone etc) that we know can be pretty reliable in the prem.

new keeper...... on 22:37 - Feb 15 with 1783 views1885_SFC

I'm hoping if Burnley go down we get Pope. Always rated him highly.

Old School is Cool

Login to get fewer ads

new keeper...... on 22:48 - Feb 15 with 1776 viewscocklebreath

new keeper...... on 22:34 - Feb 15 by ElijahK

Why not an English one? As some of the best ones that could be available, and would be willing to join us, will be the English ones (Pope, Henderson, Johnstone etc) that we know can be pretty reliable in the prem.

Because they would be expensive and I’m sure if we looked to Scandinavia we could find another Niemi.

new keeper...... on 22:58 - Feb 15 with 1767 viewsBicester_North

new keeper...... on 22:30 - Feb 15 by cocklebreath

I’d get rid of them as well, not basing it on anything other than my own paranoia that Ralph still rates McCarthy and the owners will want to buy a bargain who can be improved

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

new keeper...... on 23:00 - Feb 15 with 1764 viewsElijahK

new keeper...... on 22:48 - Feb 15 by cocklebreath

Because they would be expensive and I’m sure if we looked to Scandinavia we could find another Niemi.

But that Johnstone is out of contract in the summer, and if Burnley were to go down then I’m sure Pope would become a lot cheaper. And any keeper we get from the likes of Niemi, won’t have proven themselves in the prem, so could be a waste of money, whilst Pope/Johnstone we know would be reliable

new keeper...... on 23:19 - Feb 15 with 1742 viewscocklebreath

new keeper...... on 23:00 - Feb 15 by ElijahK

But that Johnstone is out of contract in the summer, and if Burnley were to go down then I’m sure Pope would become a lot cheaper. And any keeper we get from the likes of Niemi, won’t have proven themselves in the prem, so could be a waste of money, whilst Pope/Johnstone we know would be reliable

Reliable maybe but top notch? We want a proper keeper, they’re out there in the wastelands of Scandinavia

new keeper...... on 23:23 - Feb 15 with 1740 viewsdirk_doone

Top goalkeepers nowadays reach their peak in their 30s. A young goalkeeper won't be much use to us, other than to play for the B team. Pope will be 30 in April so he might be OK. The Finnish goalkeeper, Hrádecký is 32 and he would also be worth considering. But, currently, Forster is at his peak and playing better than ever, so it's not exactly our weakest position. We do need to get rid of McCarthy though as he should never be playing at this level.

An upgrade on Bednarek should be more of a priority this summer.
[Post edited 15 Feb 2022 23:31]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

new keeper...... on 23:26 - Feb 15 with 1727 viewscocklebreath

new keeper...... on 23:23 - Feb 15 by dirk_doone

Top goalkeepers nowadays reach their peak in their 30s. A young goalkeeper won't be much use to us, other than to play for the B team. Pope will be 30 in April so he might be OK. The Finnish goalkeeper, Hrádecký is 32 and he would also be worth considering. But, currently, Forster is at his peak and playing better than ever, so it's not exactly our weakest position. We do need to get rid of McCarthy though as he should never be playing at this level.

An upgrade on Bednarek should be more of a priority this summer.
[Post edited 15 Feb 2022 23:31]

Finnish? There we go the new Niemi is out there

new keeper...... on 11:34 - Feb 16 with 1539 viewsSonicBoom

I'd like a complete clear out. Both Forster and McCarthy to go and get new blood in. Anyway one is going to go that's already been decided.
I used to like Forster and recently he has made some excellent saves. He also makes some suicidal decisions and still is an absolute liability when crosses come in. Some he comes and collects, some he strangely decides to punch, some he remains paralysed to the spot and others he rushes out halfway for. I bet the defence are never sure what he's going to do.
I also notice with him that he never ever looks happy - I don't think I've ever seen him smile even when he pulls off a great save, or at the final whistle when we win a game. Just looks like he doesn't want to be there.
new keeper...... on 12:43 - Feb 16 with 1507 viewsKennington

I’ve been pretty impressed with FF. not sure he’s worth another mega contract, cheers for that Les. But he’s shown to be more than capable recently. There is something that’s a bit fragile though, and things could unravel quickly and he could just as easily disappear and not play for the rest of the session than play every game. I have no idea what was wrong with him before, mental health issues? But hopefully whatever it was is in the past. McCarthy should definitely be shipped out, he’s had more than enough chances.

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

new keeper...... on 13:21 - Feb 16 with 1474 viewsdirk_doone

You can see the team clearly have confidence in Forster and his presence lifts all of them. They know that with him in goal we get much better results. The chances of us getting a better goalkeeper, even if we spend a lot of money, are slim. There aren't that many Premier League class winning goalkeepers around who'd want to come here. Forster is worth an extra 20 points a season to us. We are lucky to have him. If he plays all of our games next season, we'll qualify for Europe. In fact, if he'd played from the start of this season, we would have done this year too.

Official Premier League stats:

Alex McCarthy: Appearances 129 Wins 37 Losses 61

Sam Johnstone: Appearances 37 Wins 4 Losses 22

Fraser Forster: Appearances: 122 Wins 51 Losses 43

https://www.premierleague.com/players/4573/Alex-McCarthy/stats

https://www.premierleague.com/players/3170/Fraser-Forster/stats

https://www.premierleague.com/players/4331/Sam-Johnstone/stats

[Post edited 16 Feb 2022 13:40]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

new keeper...... on 13:27 - Feb 16 with 1460 viewsSonicBoom

They used to say that Peter Schmeichel was worth 12 points a season to Man U so I seriously doubt FF is worth 20!!
new keeper...... on 15:49 - Feb 16 with 1385 viewsElijahK

new keeper...... on 13:21 - Feb 16 by dirk_doone

You can see the team clearly have confidence in Forster and his presence lifts all of them. They know that with him in goal we get much better results. The chances of us getting a better goalkeeper, even if we spend a lot of money, are slim. There aren't that many Premier League class winning goalkeepers around who'd want to come here. Forster is worth an extra 20 points a season to us. We are lucky to have him. If he plays all of our games next season, we'll qualify for Europe. In fact, if he'd played from the start of this season, we would have done this year too.

Official Premier League stats:

Alex McCarthy: Appearances 129 Wins 37 Losses 61

Sam Johnstone: Appearances 37 Wins 4 Losses 22

Fraser Forster: Appearances: 122 Wins 51 Losses 43

https://www.premierleague.com/players/4573/Alex-McCarthy/stats

https://www.premierleague.com/players/3170/Fraser-Forster/stats

https://www.premierleague.com/players/4331/Sam-Johnstone/stats

[Post edited 16 Feb 2022 13:40]

As much as I do agree that Forster’s been decent recently what you’ve posted ain’t the most reliable of sources, as Forster’s just a goalie so his main job is to stop goals being conceded, and ever since McCarthy got injured, we’ve not kept a single clean sheet since, hence why most of the games have been us just outscoing/getting a few goals to equal the oppositions talley.

And anyway, most of Forster’s wins were back when we had Koeman and such, where he had the likes of Fonte, Van Dijk, prime Bertrand and Cedric etc in front of him, and we were challenging for Europe, whilst for McCarthy and Johnstone, they’ve both been relegation battling when they’ve been playing with some pretty poor defences in front of them. As most keepers stats are just based of the defences in front of them, hence why if Allison (who I’d probably say is currently the PL’s best keeper) had Norwich’s defence in front of him, and any of those 3 had Man City’s/Liverpools defence in front of them, then those 3 would definitely have more wins, clean sheets, less goals conceded etc. Hence why with keepers, you can’t always just look at the stats for wins/losses.
But even if you do wanna look at them, then you look at what they’re meant to stop with is goals, as ever since Paul left, in the league, Forster’s played 36 games and conceded 56 goals (so an average of 1.56 goals a game). Whilst McCarthys played 116 league games and conceded 180 goals (so an average of 1.56 goals a game). Which shows you that there’s barely any difference in them for gaols conceded and that the stats show that.

But at the end of the day, I just want a new keeper who can challenge for that number 1 spot, and which of the 2 we decide to keep, I don’t care too much about, but it’s certainly not as blatant or important as people are making it out to be, as whoever we sign will almost certainly be better than both of them.

new keeper...... on 17:53 - Feb 16 with 1283 viewsNYC_Saint

From memory FF was playing exceptionally well under RK and when RK went to Everton he had a short contract left and we wanted to keep him here hence the bumper contract he received. (I think we’d tied down VVD just weeks before probably knowing RK was off and I think that was part of why he got so sulky - there was obviously a lot goin on in the back office at the time).

If we can get FF on a contract more akin to his level, great, however I dare say that being on free there will be plenty out there willing to pay up for him in lieu of a transfer fee especially given the form he’s been in lately. McCarthy goes hot and cold in my opinion and I think he’s be too expensive as a back up and not good enough for our first choice for the next two or theee seasons. As such I suspect we’ll take a bit of a gamble on two solid, currently playing abroad, keepers with WC as back up incase they take time to adjust.

Given Harry Lewis cannot get a game for love nor money, if we try and sign him again I will give up trying to understand our goalkeeping strategy.
new keeper...... on 23:28 - Feb 16 with 1203 viewsChesham_Saint

Just keep FF and bin McCarthy.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024