Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Big Match revisited 17:35 - Mar 3 with 1831 viewsBicester_North

Not sure if it’s a repeat but a 1-4 away win for Saints at Luton is on there currently from Oct 76

Couple of great goals and some good footage of the away end if any of you were there

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Big Match revisited on 21:27 - Mar 3 with 1705 viewsSaintNick

I was there I went on a coach run by National Coaches from the old coach station in Bedford Place, they took a few coaches and there was a good following up there

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Big Match revisited on 07:40 - Mar 4 with 1631 viewsHeisenberg

Luton is a lively away trip. I seem to recall you have to go up some stairs that are practically above peoples back gardens to get in the away bit. As for Big Match its the haircut I’m dreading seeing. Mullets abound

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

Big Match revisited on 11:52 - Mar 7 with 1467 viewsSaintNick

Big Match revisited on 07:40 - Mar 4 by Heisenberg

Luton is a lively away trip. I seem to recall you have to go up some stairs that are practically above peoples back gardens to get in the away bit. As for Big Match its the haircut I’m dreading seeing. Mullets abound

The home end back in 1976 is now the away end with the stairs over the back garden. up to the late 1990's the away end was at the other end and was quite easy to get into being just a street at the back of it

Big Match revisited on 12:21 - Mar 7 with 1453 viewsTimSaint

Big Match revisited on 11:52 - Mar 7 by SaintNick

The home end back in 1976 is now the away end with the stairs over the back garden. up to the late 1990's the away end was at the other end and was quite easy to get into being just a street at the back of it

My first ever visit to Kennilworth Road was October 1985.

The less said about Glenn Cockerill's debut, the better. Lost 7-0.

Always used to get a bit lively between the ground and the station, especially that season when away fans were banned for league games but were allowed in the cups - think we had a league cup game and drew 1-1 with Cockerill scoring for us.

TimSaint

Big Match revisited on 12:57 - Mar 8 with 1335 viewsChesham_Saint

Big Match revisited on 12:21 - Mar 7 by TimSaint

My first ever visit to Kennilworth Road was October 1985.

The less said about Glenn Cockerill's debut, the better. Lost 7-0.

Always used to get a bit lively between the ground and the station, especially that season when away fans were banned for league games but were allowed in the cups - think we had a league cup game and drew 1-1 with Cockerill scoring for us.

I was at both of those.

I though the 0-7 was one of Shilton's first games for us? As I recall the plastic pitch (which I played on a couple of times) was a joke with a massively irregular bounce and a definite advantage for the home team. Virtually every shot they had seemed to go in.

As for the midweek game, I had to join the Luton supporters club to get in and the aforementioned Cockerill scored a gem. I also remember Russel Osman sitting close with his wife (and what a babe she was!).

The replay was a referring travesty (some things never change) one of the several reasons I'm not fond of Luton.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Big Match revisited on 13:42 - Mar 8 with 1316 viewsTimSaint

Big Match revisited on 12:57 - Mar 8 by Chesham_Saint

I was at both of those.

I though the 0-7 was one of Shilton's first games for us? As I recall the plastic pitch (which I played on a couple of times) was a joke with a massively irregular bounce and a definite advantage for the home team. Virtually every shot they had seemed to go in.

As for the midweek game, I had to join the Luton supporters club to get in and the aforementioned Cockerill scored a gem. I also remember Russel Osman sitting close with his wife (and what a babe she was!).

The replay was a referring travesty (some things never change) one of the several reasons I'm not fond of Luton.

I managed to go to the away game in 90-91 Season when we won 4-3 on the Astro. Away fans were banned, but a mate knew a few Luton ST holders and they got us 7 tickets, all in a line on the front row of the upper tier, right above the players' 'tunnel'. Great win and funny to see little pockets of Saints fans dotted around the ground go up when we scored. Tiss and Rod Wallace got a couple each that day.

Horrible place and horrible team, but you never know - we could be playing them next season !!

TimSaint

Big Match revisited on 14:09 - Mar 8 with 1294 viewsSaintNick

Big Match revisited on 13:42 - Mar 8 by TimSaint

I managed to go to the away game in 90-91 Season when we won 4-3 on the Astro. Away fans were banned, but a mate knew a few Luton ST holders and they got us 7 tickets, all in a line on the front row of the upper tier, right above the players' 'tunnel'. Great win and funny to see little pockets of Saints fans dotted around the ground go up when we scored. Tiss and Rod Wallace got a couple each that day.

Horrible place and horrible team, but you never know - we could be playing them next season !!

I got into that game in 91 i think i was somewhere around the tunnel area in the corner of the main stand

Big Match revisited on 14:33 - Mar 8 with 1280 viewsSaintsforeverj

Luton have always been a famous English club. They have a record attendance of 30 000 fans, but they have a very small ground and always have done for as long as I can remember. Small club but proper English well known team. The only time I have ever been there was our first year back in the Championship, Rednapp was manager and we lost 3 2 I think. It was lively and intimidating outside.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2022 14:34]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Login to get fewer ads

Big Match revisited on 15:38 - Mar 8 with 1233 viewssaints__fan__73

I was at the 3-2 loss when 'Arry was our manager. We took the lead and sang 'only here for a season' at their fans.....

I was standing next to two elderly Saints fan and will always remember them noticing Enoch Showumni coming on as a sub and saying 'Enoch? his Mum must have had a sense of humour'.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Big Match revisited on 15:39 - Mar 8 with 1231 viewssaints__fan__73

[Post edited 8 Mar 2022 15:40]

Big Match revisited on 15:46 - Mar 8 with 1206 viewsChesham_Saint

I was based in Watford for a number of years and although I never developed any real affection for the Hornets (their fans seemed a bit 'Bournemouthy' and were still going on about that 7-1 league cup defeat) I came to dislike Luton as a sort of Bedfordshire wannabe skate bunch from an absolute shit hole of a town.

Big Match revisited on 00:16 - Mar 9 with 1097 viewsPatfromPoole

Big Match revisited on 14:33 - Mar 8 by Saintsforeverj

Luton have always been a famous English club. They have a record attendance of 30 000 fans, but they have a very small ground and always have done for as long as I can remember. Small club but proper English well known team. The only time I have ever been there was our first year back in the Championship, Rednapp was manager and we lost 3 2 I think. It was lively and intimidating outside.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2022 14:34]

I also went to this 2-3 reverse at Luton. Painful.

Have a feeling Dennis Wise may have been in a ruck at the end of the game…..

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Big Match revisited on 10:44 - Mar 9 with 1035 viewsBuggalugs

Been to Luton just once, a 1-1 draw in the FA Cup sometime in the mid 90's. Bizarrely, the only thing I really remember about the day was being in an absolute shithole of a pub, packed with Saints, singing "score a goal Neil Shipperley, we will love you more than you will know, woah oh oh". to the tune of Mrs Robinson. Think it was his debut and don't really ever remember it being sung again...
[Post edited 9 Mar 2022 10:45]

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

Big Match revisited on 11:02 - Mar 9 with 1016 viewsSaintNick

Big Match revisited on 10:44 - Mar 9 by Buggalugs

Been to Luton just once, a 1-1 draw in the FA Cup sometime in the mid 90's. Bizarrely, the only thing I really remember about the day was being in an absolute shithole of a pub, packed with Saints, singing "score a goal Neil Shipperley, we will love you more than you will know, woah oh oh". to the tune of Mrs Robinson. Think it was his debut and don't really ever remember it being sung again...
[Post edited 9 Mar 2022 10:45]

Not sure it was his debut, but he was signed a couple of weeks earlier , I heard that song a lot back then during his 18 month or so spell at the club

Big Match revisited on 11:45 - Mar 9 with 988 viewssaints__fan__73

Big Match revisited on 11:02 - Mar 9 by SaintNick

Not sure it was his debut, but he was signed a couple of weeks earlier , I heard that song a lot back then during his 18 month or so spell at the club

Show us you c*** Mr Shipperly, you've pulled up on the side of the road, oh, oh,oh....

Big Match revisited on 12:59 - Mar 9 with 944 viewsTimSaint

Big Match revisited on 12:57 - Mar 8 by Chesham_Saint

I was at both of those.

Shilts was at Saints between 82 and 87, so was definitely not anywhere near his debut.

It was definitely Glenn Cockerill's debut, as I remember it on the train on the way home, with people saying things like what a game to make your debut, wonder what he thought he was joining, gave him good first impression etc.
Yes, without going into too much detail about the replay, we lost 2-1 and it could have been Ricky Hill with the winner ? I think we stuffed them 6-3 later that year to compensate slightly.

I was at Crewe Away in a cup match - Saints 3-0 up and cruising, but in the end we managed to hold on and win 3-2. Sat 2 rows behind me was Barry Venison - but he was not sitting with his wife (who was allegedly quite nice) :-) Interestingly, someone once told me at the Dell that Venison got married in a pink suit. Not sure if that was his favourite colour or he was going for the Miami Vice look !!

TimSaint

Big Match revisited on 13:43 - Mar 9 with 908 viewssaints__fan__73

Big Match revisited on 12:59 - Mar 9 by TimSaint

Shilts was at Saints between 82 and 87, so was definitely not anywhere near his debut.

It was definitely Glenn Cockerill's debut, as I remember it on the train on the way home, with people saying things like what a game to make your debut, wonder what he thought he was joining, gave him good first impression etc.
Yes, without going into too much detail about the replay, we lost 2-1 and it could have been Ricky Hill with the winner ? I think we stuffed them 6-3 later that year to compensate slightly.

I was at Crewe Away in a cup match - Saints 3-0 up and cruising, but in the end we managed to hold on and win 3-2. Sat 2 rows behind me was Barry Venison - but he was not sitting with his wife (who was allegedly quite nice) :-) Interestingly, someone once told me at the Dell that Venison got married in a pink suit. Not sure if that was his favourite colour or he was going for the Miami Vice look !!

Big Match revisited on 13:49 - Mar 9 with 905 viewsSaintNick

Big Match revisited on 12:59 - Mar 9 by TimSaint

Funnily enough at that Crewe game I was sat in front of Martin O'Neill, i wonder if anyone else at that game sat in what was clearly a shared section for away fans and visiting professional footballers/managers

Big Match revisited on 16:31 - Mar 9 with 878 viewsTimSaint

Big Match revisited on 13:43 - Mar 9 by saints__fan__73

Thanks for this.

I never checked and always assumed it was a wind-up !!

It really was the Miami Vice look !! :-)

TimSaint

Big Match revisited on 16:45 - Mar 9 with 874 viewsTimSaint

Big Match revisited on 13:49 - Mar 9 by SaintNick

Funnily enough at that Crewe game I was sat in front of Martin O'Neill, i wonder if anyone else at that game sat in what was clearly a shared section for away fans and visiting professional footballers/managers

At the time, I actually think Barry Venison was a Saints player, but was either injured, rested or dropped for the Crewe game. He had obviously travelled up with the squad, wasn't involved, so decided to watch the game with the Saints fans.

TimSaint

Big Match revisited on 12:23 - Mar 10 with 762 viewsChesham_Saint

Big Match revisited on 13:43 - Mar 9 by saints__fan__73

What an utter Tonge!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024