Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Blooding young players 15:08 - Apr 19 with 683 viewssaint901

It would take a wholly unprecedented turn of events for us to be relegated now.

We have games coming up with teams around us. Obvious exception of Liverpool.

If the strategy is to identify players at the start of their career - who will improve in ability and worth - would these games be a chance to bring in a few squad players and given them a game?

Might help those struggling for form (Salisu, Tino, Broja) and give some of those who have worked hard recently (Ely, Adams) a chance to recover?

Or do we continue to pick a first 11 and keep the squad players on the bench?
Blooding young players on 02:13 - Apr 20 with 555 viewsTimSaint

After the recent run of poor results, the players owe us fans a few decent performances to finish the season off.

FF is the keeper til the end of the season in all games, bar an injury

Tino - is young but has been rested, so expect him to play a few games

CBs - with recent performances, nobody knows our best 2 or 3. They all seem to have good and bad spells, so I guess we will continue to rotate.

Wide - I don't think any of the youngsters are ready to come in and the other back ups we have are Redmond, Djenepo, Walcott and possibly Smallbone or Tella.

Forwards - Depending on the formation, we will probably play Broja until the end of the season - alone or with Adams (who has been rested). A Arm and Long (if fit) will be subs - or perhaps Tella can play up top ?
There is a youngster who's name escapes me, but is scoring regularly in the U23s, but not sure he is ready to make that step up just yet.

It actually looks like our team picks itself, depending on formation, or who is preferred in defence each week.
There is not really a lot of other competition for places. Nobody has come on and changed the game of late, or put in a performance worthy of getting a starting berth next time out.
I had high hopes for Tella this season, but poor form, lack of selection and injury has put paid to that. Perhaps he can offer something in the last games ?

Smallbone - looked lost v Watford, I don't think anyone in the stadium knew where he was supposed to be playing apart from maybe RH
Small - got his chance v Cov in the FA Cup and got hooked at HT
Willie - signed in the hour of need, given chances, got better but no clean sheet

TimSaint

Blooding young players on 08:49 - Apr 20 with 471 viewsBerber

Blooding young players on 02:13 - Apr 20 by TimSaint

After the recent run of poor results, the players owe us fans a few decent performances to finish the season off.

CBs - with recent performances, nobody knows our best 2 or 3. They all seem to have good and bad spells, so I guess we will continue to rotate.

Wide - I don't think any of the youngsters are ready to come in and the other back ups we have are Redmond, Djenepo, Walcott and possibly Smallbone or Tella.

Forwards - Depending on the formation, we will probably play Broja until the end of the season - alone or with Adams (who has been rested). A Arm and Long (if fit) will be subs - or perhaps Tella can play up top ?
There is a youngster who's name escapes me, but is scoring regularly in the U23s, but not sure he is ready to make that step up just yet.

It actually looks like our team picks itself, depending on formation, or who is preferred in defence each week.
There is not really a lot of other competition for places. Nobody has come on and changed the game of late, or put in a performance worthy of getting a starting berth next time out.
I had high hopes for Tella this season, but poor form, lack of selection and injury has put paid to that. Perhaps he can offer something in the last games ?

Smallbone - looked lost v Watford, I don't think anyone in the stadium knew where he was supposed to be playing apart from maybe RH
Willie - signed in the hour of need, given chances, got better but no clean sheet

There are dozens of players like Tella at PL clubs, not quite good enough. Arsenal called it right, and if he doesn’t go this summer, he will the next.
Blooding young players on 08:51 - Apr 20 with 471 viewsA1079

Blooding young players on 02:13 - Apr 20 by TimSaint

May be I am being a tad unfair Tim and I am sure many will correct me if I am wrong, but our much lauded academy does not appear to have really brought on many players (if indeed any) that have made the step change to the first team on a permanent basis for some seasons now. It would be nice to see some come through as there is quite a pride in seeing a player from your own club make it through from the start.

There were a number of players that seemed to be on the cusp of making it and then just faded away - Chauke, Caleb Watts, Hesketh, Ramsay to name but a few.
Blooding young players on 09:41 - Apr 20 with 457 viewsPaleRider

Regarding individuals who have been mentioned:

Caleb Watts is still only 20! Bit early to write him off and seem to have a good reputation with Oz.
Small. I watched him carefully during the Coventry game and have to admit that he didn't have the best game. However, I think that Diallo gave him no help and moreover crowded him out. As a result, I can't really judge Small on that performance.

Also our under-18's are top of their league - we seem to have some great talent there. Academies, other than the behemoth that is Chelsea, do go through peaks and troughs.

Personally, I would try a couple of the youngsters again this season.
Blooding young players on 10:30 - Apr 20 with 430 viewssaint901

I've not really seen too many academy games nor enough of the bench players to judge them - and that's the problem.

We need to see if they have the makings of a decent PL player.

Smallbone is an enigma. The few times I've seen him he has looked lost and lacking in confidence, perhaps wanting to do exactly as RH wants and not express himself or show whatever talent he has.

Djenepo for me is one who should be looking to drop a league or two. Redmond/Walcott are in that camp as well.

I would like to see Tella play again.

I would also like to see one or two from the academy team at least make the bench and have a few minutes just to see what they can do.

I see however that RH wants to play his best 11 in order for a top half finish.

I only hope he knows his best 11.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024