Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pitch invasions 11:19 - May 20 with 3403 viewsSaintsforeverj

The recent pitch invasions at Forest and Everton have brought up some discussions. The Billy Sharp incident was terrible and so was the goading of Vierra at Everton. But we are talking about 2 or 3 idiots out of thousands of fans who are just enjoying a passionate celebration. We did it when we got promoted and most of us were on the pitch.

The serious side, is that a player could get stabbed, seriously injured or worse. So what can be done? Not a chance of stopping 20 thousand fans running on, is there? You would have to line the pitch with thousands of security staff. Could the stewards do more? Vierra was literally walking alone across the pitch without any protection at all and had to defend himself from idiots. Should the ref indicate there is one minute left before the whistle so that coaching staff, managers and players can head as close to the tunnel as possible? You can't give life time bans to your whole fan base either. Difficult one, but you know something terrible will happen one day and then they will act when it's too late.
[Post edited 20 May 2022 11:24]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Pitch invasions on 11:33 - May 20 with 2579 viewsWints76

I watched the end of Port Vale Swindon last night and the same happened there, with some Swimdon players being punched as they kept the pitch. I have no issue with pitch invasions in such circumstances, but the reasons you give are why they could stop happening. In a crowd of 5000+, there are going to be some pricks who want a pop. Fair play to Vieira, but looks like that Sheff U player (McBurnie?) may have gone a bit too far.

Don't know how it can be stopped though
Pitch invasions on 11:43 - May 20 with 2567 viewssolent_toffee

40,000 people in the ground and almost everyone bar one dickhead behaves themselves.

The indignation from the usual suspects is laughable. It would never happen at Anfield apparently. Of course it wouldn’t, they’d lose their selfie sticks, half and half scarves and tour guides to take them back to Lime Street Station.

FC Class and Dignity telling everyone how to behave at the match since the day dot.
Pitch invasions on 11:57 - May 20 with 2545 viewssledger

they can easily stop it,these idiots will bring the good old fences back,not dangerous now we have all seater stadia,well done the idiots
Pitch invasions on 12:03 - May 20 with 2537 viewsSaintsforeverj

Pitch invasions on 11:43 - May 20 by solent_toffee

40,000 people in the ground and almost everyone bar one dickhead behaves themselves.

The indignation from the usual suspects is laughable. It would never happen at Anfield apparently. Of course it wouldn’t, they’d lose their selfie sticks, half and half scarves and tour guides to take them back to Lime Street Station.

FC Class and Dignity telling everyone how to behave at the match since the day dot.

It could happen at any ground. Wouldn't happen at anfield ,🤣. It happened at the Swindon game, it could happen anywhere. We don't want to take away the joy of the odd pitch invasion in these circumstances, but what can we do about the risk of a player getting seriously hurt or worse?

Pitch invasions on 13:22 - May 20 with 2488 viewsElijahK

Pitch invasions on 11:43 - May 20 by solent_toffee

Just embarrassing that they do all that for only just managing to stay in the prem when having a squad/funding that should be getting them in Europe! I mean it’s just pathetic!
As when we beat Swansea, in what was basically a playoff game, that was the night that we basically secured staying up, and yeah we were happy but not acting like we’d won the champions league like this embarrassing lot.
Fair play to Vieira though for teaching that Everton prick a lesson

Poll: Should the football be on again next weekend

Pitch invasions on 13:30 - May 20 with 2477 viewsPatfromPoole

Pitch invasions on 13:22 - May 20 by ElijahK

Just embarrassing that they do all that for only just managing to stay in the prem when having a squad/funding that should be getting them in Europe! I mean it’s just pathetic!
As when we beat Swansea, in what was basically a playoff game, that was the night that we basically secured staying up, and yeah we were happy but not acting like we’d won the champions league like this embarrassing lot.

I do recall a pitch invasion when we stayed up on the last day against Sheffield United in the Championship.

I’m all for them if nobody gets hurt. I do remember in years gone by (Lowe era?) that anybody doing it would get banned, which seemed over the top, but is probably the only way they can stop it for home fans.

That wouldn’t have stopped Rotherham fans at Gillingham though, and Leeds at Brentford could be interesting. I can see them getting on the pitch, win or lose.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Pitch invasions on 14:07 - May 20 with 2438 viewsNYC_Saint

I posted on another thread that I thought pitch invasions were subject to point deductions etc. I've not lived in uk for 20 years or so so I'm not at all up to date with modern protocols etc. Maybe I'm getting too old or too distant from the reality of football in England but it does look like it's only going to be time before something really bad happens if the FA continues to tolerate invasions. I think anyone entering a baseball or nfl field is prosecuted out here and there's zero tolerance policy. Like I say probably means I'm too far removed and santiized to understand.
Pitch invasions on 14:10 - May 20 with 2433 viewsSaintsforeverj

Pitch invasions on 14:07 - May 20 by NYC_Saint

I posted on another thread that I thought pitch invasions were subject to point deductions etc. I've not lived in uk for 20 years or so so I'm not at all up to date with modern protocols etc. Maybe I'm getting too old or too distant from the reality of football in England but it does look like it's only going to be time before something really bad happens if the FA continues to tolerate invasions. I think anyone entering a baseball or nfl field is prosecuted out here and there's zero tolerance policy. Like I say probably means I'm too far removed and santiized to understand.

The problem is, how do you stop thousands and thousands of people pouring onto the pitch from 4 sides of the ground? How do you enforce zero tolerance? Can you ban and prosecute 30 thousand people? We do not have the resources and courts here to do it! The only way as someone mentioned would be to put up fences, but I bet they would get bashed down or it would be unsafe behind them with fans getting squashed or something if they surged forward.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61518907
This thuggery, Everton fans pulling down the goal posts, players being knocked to the ground and Vale fans attacking opposition players is obviously not acceptable for the players and managers.
[Post edited 20 May 2022 14:14]

Login to get fewer ads

Pitch invasions on 14:17 - May 20 with 2411 viewssolent_toffee

Pitch invasions on 13:22 - May 20 by ElijahK

Why is that embarrassing? Yes have spent an absolute fortune and shouldn’t be where they are in the league. But that reaction wasn’t one of celebration, it was relief after months of being in a complete mess and the anxiety of all the crap that’s gone before us this season and what the future could have looked like had they gone down.
Pitch invasions on 14:24 - May 20 with 2396 viewssaints__fan__73

Pitch invasions on 14:17 - May 20 by solent_toffee

Why is that embarrassing? Yes have spent an absolute fortune and shouldn’t be where they are in the league. But that reaction wasn’t one of celebration, it was relief after months of being in a complete mess and the anxiety of all the crap that’s gone before us this season and what the future could have looked like had they gone down.

What the future would have looked like?

You would have had a far more entertaining in the Championship actually winning some matches before, in all probability, returning to the dullness of the PL.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Pitch invasions on 14:35 - May 20 with 2383 viewssolent_toffee

Pitch invasions on 14:24 - May 20 by saints__fan__73

What the future would have looked like?

You would have had a far more entertaining in the Championship actually winning some matches before, in all probability, returning to the dullness of the PL.

Ha, to be fair you’ve got a good point there. I’m sure when the dust had settled it would have been a good laugh going to a load of new grounds.

I was thinking more of having to sell a load of players for next to nothing (I still think they will sell either DCL or Richarlison or both but it will be for more money then had they been relegated) plus the new ground.

It’s been one shite season with everyone putting the boot from all quarters. Last night, and the last month or so, was a massive United effort from the fans so I have no issue with the pitch invasion at all.
Pitch invasions on 15:44 - May 20 with 2296 viewsElijahK

Pitch invasions on 14:17 - May 20 by solent_toffee

It’s embarrassing that soo many people have to run on the pitch for firstly coming in a position that they should never be in for what they’ve had/have at their disposal, yet acting like they’ve won the champions league, and also for all the issues it causes for everyone else.
As if fences get put up and all the other annoying this could cause, mainly due to situations like this (which could all have been easily preventable as if they stop the first few from getting on then many less will be able to) which can also cause many other issue like players/coaches/officials getting attacked which will only cause even more issues.
So why should the rest of us have to suffer just because of a few teams? Hence why points deductions/games behind closed doors should be introduced as punishments for when like over 50 people do it at once.

And all of this is due to some result that many would of expected at the start of the season, as I don’t think the odds of Everton staying up and beating palace at home were very high

Pitch invasions on 15:45 - May 20 with 2294 viewsBicester_North

Pitch invasions on 14:35 - May 20 by solent_toffee

Ha, to be fair you’ve got a good point there. I’m sure when the dust had settled it would have been a good laugh going to a load of new grounds.

I was thinking more of having to sell a load of players for next to nothing (I still think they will sell either DCL or Richarlison or both but it will be for more money then had they been relegated) plus the new ground.

It’s been one shite season with everyone putting the boot from all quarters. Last night, and the last month or so, was a massive United effort from the fans so I have no issue with the pitch invasion at all.

We had one at St Mary’s v Burnley in 2009 when we were about to go down!

Was quite entertaining as I recall

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Pitch invasions on 16:01 - May 20 with 2286 viewssolent_toffee

Pitch invasions on 15:44 - May 20 by ElijahK

It’s embarrassing that soo many people have to run on the pitch for firstly coming in a position that they should never be in for what they’ve had/have at their disposal, yet acting like they’ve won the champions league, and also for all the issues it causes for everyone else.
As if fences get put up and all the other annoying this could cause, mainly due to situations like this (which could all have been easily preventable as if they stop the first few from getting on then many less will be able to) which can also cause many other issue like players/coaches/officials getting attacked which will only cause even more issues.
So why should the rest of us have to suffer just because of a few teams? Hence why points deductions/games behind closed doors should be introduced as punishments for when like over 50 people do it at once.

And all of this is due to some result that many would of expected at the start of the season, as I don’t think the odds of Everton staying up and beating palace at home were very high

I think it’s a massive jump from last nights pitch invasion to having fences put back in. Zero people were injured last night, except maybe the bellend blue who took a hoof from Viera. The over reaction condemning it is exactly the same reason why the game is so bloody dull and sterile these days.
Pitch invasions on 18:25 - May 20 with 2210 viewsElijahK

Pitch invasions on 16:01 - May 20 by solent_toffee

I think it’s a massive jump from last nights pitch invasion to having fences put back in. Zero people were injured last night, except maybe the bellend blue who took a hoof from Viera. The over reaction condemning it is exactly the same reason why the game is so bloody dull and sterile these days.

But there’s been like 4 pitch invasions this week (as you had this one, and a few others in the EFL playoff games) and you say it’s a “massive jump”, when it only took one disaster for seats to be a necessary, yet there’s been multiple incidents in just a week with the issues around this. And it’s basically certain that the FA will be looking at these issues right now, it’s just the question is of if they do anything and if so what is it?

As yeah I’d also love to run on the pitch and get involved etc, but I’d also like to speed, not worry about wars etc, but due to a few idiots that take it to the extreme and ruin it for the rest of us, I can’t.
As yeah some pitch invasions there’s been no issues for, but all it takes is one time where a player/coach/official or even fan to be attacked and seriously injured (which has already happened once/twice this week alone) for this to become an issue. As what happens if next time a fan brings a knife into the pitch and goes for a player on the opposing team or a match official? As no one wants that, but all it takes is one idiot and the issues are there.
As unfortunately we don’t live in a perfect world meaning that sometimes, as much as many may hate it, we have to have stricter rules so that we reduce the risk of anything serious happening for both sides sakes.

Pitch invasions on 18:40 - May 20 with 2193 viewssolent_toffee

Pitch invasions on 18:25 - May 20 by ElijahK

But there’s been like 4 pitch invasions this week (as you had this one, and a few others in the EFL playoff games) and you say it’s a “massive jump”, when it only took one disaster for seats to be a necessary, yet there’s been multiple incidents in just a week with the issues around this. And it’s basically certain that the FA will be looking at these issues right now, it’s just the question is of if they do anything and if so what is it?

As yeah I’d also love to run on the pitch and get involved etc, but I’d also like to speed, not worry about wars etc, but due to a few idiots that take it to the extreme and ruin it for the rest of us, I can’t.
As yeah some pitch invasions there’s been no issues for, but all it takes is one time where a player/coach/official or even fan to be attacked and seriously injured (which has already happened once/twice this week alone) for this to become an issue. As what happens if next time a fan brings a knife into the pitch and goes for a player on the opposing team or a match official? As no one wants that, but all it takes is one idiot and the issues are there.
As unfortunately we don’t live in a perfect world meaning that sometimes, as much as many may hate it, we have to have stricter rules so that we reduce the risk of anything serious happening for both sides sakes.

I take your point re someone could be carrying a weapon onto the pitch and it has to be said security last night at Goodison pitch side and was non existent as appeared so at the other games this week.

Which brings us into a much bigger discussion about security in football generally, as it’s piss poor. I was in Florida last week and got searched constantly going to places like Universal, it was straight forward, non instrusive and professional and was honestly no big deal. If I went to a gig over here and got searched it wouldn’t bother me at all and under the proposed Martins Law it will a normal thing in future.

Football just seems to think it’s above or beyond that though. Whether it’s the poor unarsed security or the over zealous policing, there’s little of it going on. You only have to look at the state of the Euros last Summer. There’s just no cooperation in the process despite us being compliant everywhere else.

Last night apparently three people were stopped from coming into the ground having found carrying pyros (I can only assume they walked in with them in their hands because no bugger gets searched these days!). And yet they were being lit, left right and centre from start to finish all game and after.

On a footnote, I bloody hate pyros, dangerous, unhealthy - they near killed me last week against Brentford in front of me lit one and practically had it in my face.
Pitch invasions on 19:29 - May 20 with 2158 viewsNYC_Saint

Pitch invasions on 14:10 - May 20 by Saintsforeverj

The problem is, how do you stop thousands and thousands of people pouring onto the pitch from 4 sides of the ground? How do you enforce zero tolerance? Can you ban and prosecute 30 thousand people? We do not have the resources and courts here to do it! The only way as someone mentioned would be to put up fences, but I bet they would get bashed down or it would be unsafe behind them with fans getting squashed or something if they surged forward.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61518907
This thuggery, Everton fans pulling down the goal posts, players being knocked to the ground and Vale fans attacking opposition players is obviously not acceptable for the players and managers.
[Post edited 20 May 2022 14:14]

Interesting read. If it's accurate that FA can enforce ground closures then I guess making all teams where they were invaded play first 5 or even 10 games of the season behind closed doors might be enough for fans to realize they're hurting their team. Looks like a lot of the managers are against anyone coming on the pitch which makes sense.
Pitch invasions on 20:01 - May 20 with 2132 viewssaint68

Promotion day against Coventry..fans on pitch and a glorious day..some have short memories.

Poll: Who would you want to save this season Pellegrino or Adkins

Pitch invasions on 23:32 - May 20 with 2045 viewsElijahK

Pitch invasions on 18:40 - May 20 by solent_toffee

I take your point re someone could be carrying a weapon onto the pitch and it has to be said security last night at Goodison pitch side and was non existent as appeared so at the other games this week.

Which brings us into a much bigger discussion about security in football generally, as it’s piss poor. I was in Florida last week and got searched constantly going to places like Universal, it was straight forward, non instrusive and professional and was honestly no big deal. If I went to a gig over here and got searched it wouldn’t bother me at all and under the proposed Martins Law it will a normal thing in future.

Football just seems to think it’s above or beyond that though. Whether it’s the poor unarsed security or the over zealous policing, there’s little of it going on. You only have to look at the state of the Euros last Summer. There’s just no cooperation in the process despite us being compliant everywhere else.

Last night apparently three people were stopped from coming into the ground having found carrying pyros (I can only assume they walked in with them in their hands because no bugger gets searched these days!). And yet they were being lit, left right and centre from start to finish all game and after.

On a footnote, I bloody hate pyros, dangerous, unhealthy - they near killed me last week against Brentford in front of me lit one and practically had it in my face.

Yeah well that’s the issue isn’t it. As in a perfect world, fans could watch their team train and invade the pitch when they had a major win, as well as the leagues actually being competitive and such.
But that’s not the case whatsoever, as if “fans” watched teams train they’d see inside tactics and spread it, as well as pitch invasions causing major harm/issue to many and the PL is unfortunately a far from competitive league.
But what annoys me is that these issues were practically all caused by just a few people, yet because of them it’s ruined it for the rest of us, and has continued on to become a rule/way it’s been throughout our lives.
It’s just that some of these issues are are preventable, hence why we solved them by doing stuff. And the issues of security at games is something that is p*ss poor, but also something that’s understandably hard to do. As at an airport you gotta que for ages to get past security, so that they can make sure everything’s ok, but at a football stadium, not only are the amounts of people wanting to get through higher (especially at peak times like 15 minutes until KO) as certain times, but also many of those will be drunk idiots that are the causes of 99% of major issues at football games.
As stadiums are never gonna have the same tech as an airport or such has for security, meaning that people will find a way to get in flares, drugs, alcohol, weapons etc. some certainly cause a lot less harm than others, but all it takes in one person to get in, get onto that pitch and use that weapon for it all to go bad.
And at the end of the day in the world we live in today, people rarely pick what as right/fairest for everyone, as they almost always pick what’s easiest. And for situations like this, the FA are only gonna put up fences or introduce points deductions for pitch invasions as they’re the only easy ways around them so that they stop and nothing happens.
As if it’s just a few fans trying to get into the pitch, then the stewards usually stop them and the players know where to go/can get away if they feel threatened, but when it’s a few thousand, it’s just not possible.
[Post edited 20 May 2022 23:39]

Pitch invasions on 23:37 - May 20 with 2042 viewsElijahK

Pitch invasions on 20:01 - May 20 by saint68

Promotion day against Coventry..fans on pitch and a glorious day..some have short memories.

First off, that was a decade ago, and second off, that was for actually being 100% promoted back to the top devision for the first time in years, not for avoiding a relegation that no one expected, or for making a play off final.
And even then we arguably shouldn’t have done that ether (although this one was expected/planned for and was at full time so at least the players and such knew what to expect), but at least that wasn’t 5 cases within 4 days, some causing some major issues with violence/conflict.

Pitch invasions on 23:43 - May 20 with 2021 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Pitch invasions on 13:30 - May 20 by PatfromPoole

I do recall a pitch invasion when we stayed up on the last day against Sheffield United in the Championship.

I’m all for them if nobody gets hurt. I do remember in years gone by (Lowe era?) that anybody doing it would get banned, which seemed over the top, but is probably the only way they can stop it for home fans.

That wouldn’t have stopped Rotherham fans at Gillingham though, and Leeds at Brentford could be interesting. I can see them getting on the pitch, win or lose.

Absolutely.

I was one of the first on, ran straight into Germaine Wright and said "you're a legend". He looked at me like I was mad, said "really?" (or similar) and walked off.

Too much drinking and euphoria of staying up.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Pitch invasions on 00:02 - May 21 with 1991 viewsWints76

In the cold light of day, I think Everton have probably had more fun than us this season. They have had some late season results that have seen them spurt over the line with a dramatic comeback win, and their support seems to have been reinvigorated. We have sort of dribbled over the line and everyone is fed up and angry.

Bet the atmosphere and pitch invasion was great fun last night. And that's what football should be about.
[Post edited 21 May 2022 1:22]
Pitch invasions on 00:07 - May 21 with 1985 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Pitch invasions on 00:02 - May 21 by Wints76

In the cold light of day, I think Everton have probably had more fun than us this season. They have had some late season results that have seen them spurt over the line with a dramatic comeback win, and their support seems to have been reinvigorated. We have sort of dribbled over the line and everyone is fed up and angry.

Bet the atmosphere and pitch invasion was great fun last night. And that's what football should be about.

+1

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Pitch invasions on 07:16 - May 21 with 1881 viewssolent_toffee

Pitch invasions on 00:02 - May 21 by Wints76

I would take mid table mediocrity and safe by March like Saints than the drama and anxiety of a relegation battle any season.

That said, my nephews who I sense go to the game out of loyalty/family obligation have had an absolute blast over the past few weeks. Crazy wins against Newcastle, United and Chelsea, the whole meeting the coach and the incredible atmosphere that I’ve not experienced at Goodison since I was about 10 in the eighties. It’s completely drained me, but I’m a 49 year old arl arse, but they and their mates have totally buzzed off it.

I think the whole support has buzzed off it too, in a mad way. Record season tickets sold for next season again (the deadline was three weeks ago) and an ever increasing waiting list.

Absolute masochists Everton fans.
Pitch invasions on 09:38 - May 21 with 1819 viewsJaySaint

Pitch invasions on 23:43 - May 20 by Gennaro_Contaldo

Absolutely.

I was one of the first on, ran straight into Germaine Wright and said "you're a legend". He looked at me like I was mad, said "really?" (or similar) and walked off.

Too much drinking and euphoria of staying up.

Haha

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024