Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southampton City of Culture 07:08 - May 31 with 3055 viewssolent_toffee

It’s announced today if they are successful or not.

Obviously it would be great for the city if they won, but can’t help but hope that any funding they possibly receive for it isn’t given to the city council who couldn’t organise a piss up in the brewery.

Anyway, it’s announced on the One Show later, so may have Jenas involved as a heads up.
Southampton City of Culture on 12:19 - May 31 with 2922 viewsdirk_doone

I will be very surprised if Southampton win. Bradford must be favourites.

https://bradford2025.co.uk/watch/
[Post edited 31 May 2022 12:29]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Southampton City of Culture on 13:13 - May 31 with 2880 viewsChesham_Saint

In real terms, what does this actually mean? What are the benefits?

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Southampton City of Culture on 13:42 - May 31 with 2845 views1885_SFC

Southampton City of Culture on 13:13 - May 31 by Chesham_Saint

If we wins - it means I is cultured... innit.

Old School is Cool

Southampton City of Culture on 14:20 - May 31 with 2813 viewssaint901

Southampton City of Culture on 13:13 - May 31 by Chesham_Saint

Investment in public spaces, exhibitions and events in the city, infrastructure improvements (Like a rail platform outside St Mary's?) and Gov't funding for cleaning public buildings, staff, etc.
Southampton City of Culture on 14:57 - May 31 with 2796 viewsChesham_Saint

Southampton City of Culture on 14:20 - May 31 by saint901

Investment in public spaces, exhibitions and events in the city, infrastructure improvements (Like a rail platform outside St Mary's?) and Gov't funding for cleaning public buildings, staff, etc.

Thanks for that. Interesting.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Southampton City of Culture on 15:24 - May 31 with 2785 viewsdarthvader

Southampton City of Culture on 13:42 - May 31 by 1885_SFC

If we wins - it means I is cultured... innit.

Yes mush

keep the faith coyr

Southampton City of Culture on 15:30 - May 31 with 2782 viewsdirk_doone

The 2021 UK City of Culture, Coventry received more than £15.5 million from the UK Government to support the annual festivities, with a further £100 million raised in capital investment for the city to support city cultural projects such as Herbert Art Gallery and Museum, Coventry Cathedral and Belgrade Theatre.
[Post edited 31 May 2022 15:31]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Southampton City of Culture on 16:00 - May 31 with 2753 viewsfranniesTache

if there's two things sotonians hate it's students and poncey shit passed off as culture.
Login to get fewer ads

Southampton City of Culture on 17:33 - May 31 with 2704 viewssaint68

Southampton City of Culture on 16:00 - May 31 by franniesTache

if there's two things sotonians hate it's students and poncey shit passed off as culture.

Bradford can have it..well in need of a cash injection

Poll: Who would you want to save this season Pellegrino or Adkins

Southampton City of Culture on 17:51 - Jun 1 with 2559 viewssaint901

Bradford were always going to win - got to shore up the Tory Red Wall to make up for Boris' numerous f**k ups.

Pity though.

Southampton has some good attractions many in need of refreshing. It needs something to bring the liner passengers into the city a few days before their cruise. It needs students for the main uni in order to maintain its status (top 5 in Oceanography). I think at least one theatre closed during lock down.

Cities without some form of culture tend to decline over time and become homes for the desperate and the despicable.
Southampton City of Culture on 06:49 - Jun 7 with 2339 viewsJaySaint

City of culture, right there!

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Southampton City of Culture on 21:55 - Jun 8 with 2148 viewsHeisenberg

Southampton City of Culture on 06:49 - Jun 7 by JaySaint

Cinema chains have now pulled this movie fearing for the safety of both customers and staff. I remember the protests at Life of Brian but freedom of the arts prevailed. Not anymore it seems.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

Southampton City of Culture on 10:15 - Jun 9 with 2063 viewsBridders2

Southampton City of Culture on 06:49 - Jun 7 by JaySaint

But diversity is so good for the country.
Southampton City of Culture on 12:52 - Jun 9 with 2009 viewsfranniesTache

Southampton City of Culture on 10:15 - Jun 9 by Bridders2

But diversity is so good for the country.

To be fair this case is really interesting, because it's effectively bringing the Sunni and Shia historical divisions to modern society.

The reason for the protest is that the film was a depiction of the end of the prophet Mohamed's reign at the end of AD 600, and the fact that he left no female heir - hence the name of the film.

That lack of a male heir is why the two sects split, with the Sunni's favoured male leader winning out over the Shia.

In many ways this film is the film equivalent of a story where Catholics tell about the crucifixion of christ but with the blame squarely aimed at jewish people.

The way it's been picked up as an attack on western views is fascinating to some extent as it's a tacit agreement that muslims are now an integral part of our country and society (though to be fair they have been since the 15th century) though jumped on by people to attack something that it's not.

As for should cineworld stop playing it or not, i have very different opinions there, i genuinely believe that nothing should be banned and everything should be open to criticism, portrayal and ridicule, and even if that thing is something that offends me it's a price worth paying for society at large.

Where i think there are, and should be, considerations to removal is when it incites hatred or violence towards people explicitly. I have not seen this film, but the argument that's being made by the Sunni community is that this film is made by a Shia filmmaker with the outright aim of creating hatred, whilst the counterpoint of the Shia filmmaker is that it's a correct historical representation.

That to me says they should be allowed to protest, but i'm not qualified to say if it should be banned.
[Post edited 9 Jun 2022 13:17]
Southampton City of Culture on 23:44 - Jun 9 with 1918 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Southampton City of Culture on 12:52 - Jun 9 by franniesTache

To be fair this case is really interesting, because it's effectively bringing the Sunni and Shia historical divisions to modern society.

The reason for the protest is that the film was a depiction of the end of the prophet Mohamed's reign at the end of AD 600, and the fact that he left no female heir - hence the name of the film.

That lack of a male heir is why the two sects split, with the Sunni's favoured male leader winning out over the Shia.

In many ways this film is the film equivalent of a story where Catholics tell about the crucifixion of christ but with the blame squarely aimed at jewish people.

The way it's been picked up as an attack on western views is fascinating to some extent as it's a tacit agreement that muslims are now an integral part of our country and society (though to be fair they have been since the 15th century) though jumped on by people to attack something that it's not.

As for should cineworld stop playing it or not, i have very different opinions there, i genuinely believe that nothing should be banned and everything should be open to criticism, portrayal and ridicule, and even if that thing is something that offends me it's a price worth paying for society at large.

Where i think there are, and should be, considerations to removal is when it incites hatred or violence towards people explicitly. I have not seen this film, but the argument that's being made by the Sunni community is that this film is made by a Shia filmmaker with the outright aim of creating hatred, whilst the counterpoint of the Shia filmmaker is that it's a correct historical representation.

That to me says they should be allowed to protest, but i'm not qualified to say if it should be banned.
[Post edited 9 Jun 2022 13:17]

Banned. Absolutely not.

Protest. That's your right.

(That's my summary)

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Southampton City of Culture on 10:24 - Jun 10 with 1842 viewsfranniesTache

Southampton City of Culture on 23:44 - Jun 9 by Gennaro_Contaldo

Banned. Absolutely not.

Protest. That's your right.

(That's my summary)

100% agree mush