Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Number of Good Games per Season 12:10 - Jun 16 with 3056 viewsBerber

How many times a season in the PL would you say we play well, ( even if we don’t win)? I would say about 10 or 11. I guess that is why it is tough giving unqualified support.
Number of Good Games per Season on 12:26 - Jun 16 with 3041 viewsSaintNick

I would say more than 10 or 11, if you look at least season, in the first 3 games we played well at Everton but through away a 1-0 half time lead due to individual errors, Man Utd at home we played well but drew and then Newcastle away again played well, but gifted them two goals in a draw.

Next three games west ham home was a well earned draw, Man City away was a draw but we played well should have won, Wolves at home the usual have most of the play and get caught out to lose 1-0.

So that's the first 6 games where we played well in all of them, but gained only 4 points.

Out of the first 20 games of the season ie to the New year I would say that we played well in most of them, but kept giving individual errors away.

In fact out of those 20 games i think we played badly on only around 3/4 occasions, the real issue was the goalkeeper letting in soft goals and individual errors that should not have happened

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Number of Good Games per Season on 13:00 - Jun 16 with 3005 viewsdwayne_dibley

or you could say any result less than five goals adrift would rate as a good result

Well, I say let's get out there and tw@t it!
Poll: Will you renew your Season Ticket for next season

Number of Good Games per Season on 14:21 - Jun 16 with 2986 viewsdirk_doone

Number of Good Games per Season on 13:00 - Jun 16 by dwayne_dibley

or you could say any result less than five goals adrift would rate as a good result

I think some Saints fans were even happy when Chelsea stopped at six. To be honest, I was one of them.
[Post edited 16 Jun 2022 14:49]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Number of Good Games per Season on 14:48 - Jun 16 with 2969 viewsSaintNick

Number of Good Games per Season on 14:21 - Jun 16 by dirk_doone

I think some Saints fans were even happy when Chelsea stopped at six. To be honest, I was one of them.
[Post edited 16 Jun 2022 14:49]

No one is saying there weren't some bad games, but people are quick to make remarks about them than to remember when we played well and won

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Number of Good Games per Season on 14:58 - Jun 16 with 2952 viewsdirk_doone

Number of Good Games per Season on 14:48 - Jun 16 by SaintNick

No one is saying there weren't some bad games, but people are quick to make remarks about them than to remember when we played well and won

Nick, we're only joking. I agree with you about the first half of the season. There were a number of good performances. I remember being pleasantly surprised by how well we played in our opening home game against Man United and looking forward to the rest of the season. It wasn't until after February that it all fell apart. About the only good performance in the league after that was Fraser Forster's against Arsenal. The 2 Brentford games show how great the contrast was.
[Post edited 16 Jun 2022 15:03]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Number of Good Games per Season on 17:10 - Jun 16 with 2890 viewsBerber

Number of Good Games per Season on 12:26 - Jun 16 by SaintNick

I would say more than 10 or 11, if you look at least season, in the first 3 games we played well at Everton but through away a 1-0 half time lead due to individual errors, Man Utd at home we played well but drew and then Newcastle away again played well, but gifted them two goals in a draw.

Next three games west ham home was a well earned draw, Man City away was a draw but we played well should have won, Wolves at home the usual have most of the play and get caught out to lose 1-0.

So that's the first 6 games where we played well in all of them, but gained only 4 points.

Out of the first 20 games of the season ie to the New year I would say that we played well in most of them, but kept giving individual errors away.

In fact out of those 20 games i think we played badly on only around 3/4 occasions, the real issue was the goalkeeper letting in soft goals and individual errors that should not have happened

Good points, and the first half season was way, way better than the second. It all seems so long ago. Maybe I was a bit harsh.
Number of Good Games per Season on 17:52 - Jun 16 with 2860 viewsMytchettSaint

I enjoyed the season up until the Everton home game. I thought we were unlucky not to win at least one in our first 6 games.

The less said about the season from the middle of February onwards the better. It’s still too painful.

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

Number of Good Games per Season on 01:14 - Jun 17 with 2730 viewsJimmyMeliaPhD

nick seems to think everything is down to goalkeeping and individual errors. Truth is, all players and goalies make mistakes, but 2 things happen that don't happen with the Saints. 1) Over time (let's say 3+ years) coaches and managers train players out of their worst habits; 2) If coaches/managers can't do that over let's say 3 years, they are replaced
Login to get fewer ads

Number of Good Games per Season on 01:19 - Jun 17 with 2728 viewsJimmyMeliaPhD

And for me this is the bottom line on Ralph....I can't name a single player in the last 3+ years who has significantly improved by being at Southampton....possibly exception KWP, but he was perhaps always good but not properly recognised elsewhere. Everyone else, from the Armstrongs, to Che Adamas, Y Valery, Bednarek, etc has regressed.
Number of Good Games per Season on 07:09 - Jun 17 with 2675 viewsdwayne_dibley

Number of Good Games per Season on 14:48 - Jun 16 by SaintNick

like Big Ears on MotD

Well, I say let's get out there and tw@t it!
Poll: Will you renew your Season Ticket for next season

Number of Good Games per Season on 12:27 - Jun 17 with 2600 viewsButty101

Number of Good Games per Season on 12:26 - Jun 16 by SaintNick

Only Nick can say a 3-1 defeat away to a Everton was a good game.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Number of Good Games per Season on 12:37 - Jun 17 with 2592 viewsSaintsforeverj

Number of Good Games per Season on 01:19 - Jun 17 by JimmyMeliaPhD

And for me this is the bottom line on Ralph....I can't name a single player in the last 3+ years who has significantly improved by being at Southampton....possibly exception KWP, but he was perhaps always good but not properly recognised elsewhere. Everyone else, from the Armstrongs, to Che Adamas, Y Valery, Bednarek, etc has regressed.

Ward-prowse is the obvious one. He has a developed into a great player. Romeu has got good. Ings became good under Ralph but struggled under Hughes.
[Post edited 17 Jun 2022 12:39]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Number of Good Games per Season on 15:58 - Jun 17 with 2544 viewsElijahK

Number of Good Games per Season on 01:14 - Jun 17 by JimmyMeliaPhD

nick seems to think everything is down to goalkeeping and individual errors. Truth is, all players and goalies make mistakes, but 2 things happen that don't happen with the Saints. 1) Over time (let's say 3+ years) coaches and managers train players out of their worst habits; 2) If coaches/managers can't do that over let's say 3 years, they are replaced

Doesn’t seem like many of the top teams do that though, as by that logic Guardiola, Klopp, Conte etc would be making all their players stars within a few years, but the fact is that they don’t, as whenever a player ain’t good enough and doesn’t improve, they just replace them.
And that’s the difference between us and them, when that “top 6” need a new player they just spend whatever they want on replacements whilst we can’t, and that’s why we have to stick with the poor players a majority of the time.

Poll: Should the football be on again next weekend

Number of Good Games per Season on 16:02 - Jun 17 with 2543 viewsElijahK

Number of Good Games per Season on 01:19 - Jun 17 by JimmyMeliaPhD

Only leaving out Prowse, Romeu, KWP (who he allowed to play and made him a great player), Livermento, Ings, Vestergaard, Hojberg for just a few examples. And most players haven’t improved, but that’s been more due to them not even being of PL quality, let alone having much potential in the league.
[Post edited 17 Jun 2022 16:03]

Number of Good Games per Season on 16:17 - Jun 17 with 2521 viewsButty101

Number of Good Games per Season on 16:02 - Jun 17 by ElijahK

Only leaving out Prowse, Romeu, KWP (who he allowed to play and made him a great player), Livermento, Ings, Vestergaard, Hojberg for just a few examples. And most players haven’t improved, but that’s been more due to them not even being of PL quality, let alone having much potential in the league.
[Post edited 17 Jun 2022 16:03]

Is that the same Romeu that Ralph only played once it was clear Hojberg was moving. The Romeu that had previously been a player of the year.....

Is that the Livermento that joined us as a flying fullback, that bombed forward with out a fear. However by christmas had been coached to pass backwards and lost confidence?

KWP hit the ground running and has been brillant. What part of his game has Ralph improved?

The one player that Ralph has truly improved is JWP.

Number of Good Games per Season on 19:17 - Jun 17 with 2488 viewsElijahK

Number of Good Games per Season on 16:17 - Jun 17 by Butty101

Is that the same Romeu that Ralph only played once it was clear Hojberg was moving. The Romeu that had previously been a player of the year.....

Is that the Livermento that joined us as a flying fullback, that bombed forward with out a fear. However by christmas had been coached to pass backwards and lost confidence?

KWP hit the ground running and has been brillant. What part of his game has Ralph improved?

The one player that Ralph has truly improved is JWP.

Is that not also the Romeu that’s been playing practically all games for two season straight, after having a poor spell just before/after Ralph joined? Yet is now one of the most consistent and reliable players in the squad

Is that not also the Livermento that Ralph decided to play instead of KWP giving him a chance to shine, as well as playing some great football with a player that’s performed pretty well all season, and was still pretty decent after Christmas, hence why he was in the team that was on the amazing run up to march, regularly.

And KWP wasn’t too impressive when he was on loan with us before all that lockdown sh*t happened, as it was only after time during lockdown that he got going and it is due to Ralph or he’d of done that at spurs and would’ve been in their starting 11.

And also what about Ings? As he was ok, but not amazing under Hughes, yet he almost won the golden boot under Ralph. S Armstrong also didn’t seem too amazing before Ralph turned up, yet he’s made him one of our best wingers at the club right now. Also verstergaard, a player that most people saw as another waste of money, yet a managed to turn him out pretty decent and get a decent deal off of Leicester for him. And yeah JWP also has been great, but he’s improved him more than most coaches could.

Number of Good Games per Season on 23:03 - Jun 17 with 2427 viewsButty101

Number of Good Games per Season on 19:17 - Jun 17 by ElijahK

Is that not also the Romeu that’s been playing practically all games for two season straight, after having a poor spell just before/after Ralph joined? Yet is now one of the most consistent and reliable players in the squad

Is that not also the Livermento that Ralph decided to play instead of KWP giving him a chance to shine, as well as playing some great football with a player that’s performed pretty well all season, and was still pretty decent after Christmas, hence why he was in the team that was on the amazing run up to march, regularly.

And KWP wasn’t too impressive when he was on loan with us before all that lockdown sh*t happened, as it was only after time during lockdown that he got going and it is due to Ralph or he’d of done that at spurs and would’ve been in their starting 11.

And also what about Ings? As he was ok, but not amazing under Hughes, yet he almost won the golden boot under Ralph. S Armstrong also didn’t seem too amazing before Ralph turned up, yet he’s made him one of our best wingers at the club right now. Also verstergaard, a player that most people saw as another waste of money, yet a managed to turn him out pretty decent and get a decent deal off of Leicester for him. And yeah JWP also has been great, but he’s improved him more than most coaches could.

Fella you are delusional

Romeu was a great player before Ralph rocked up.

Ralph improved vestaguard so much that we sold him for less than we bought him.

As I already said kwp hit the ground running. Otherwise why would we have bought him ffs

Tino has regressed by Xmas . Look at the comments on here if you don’t believe me.

How about the likes of Bednerek, valerey, Mcarthy dnepo redmond etc that appears to have regressed

Number of Good Games per Season on 09:51 - Jun 18 with 2327 viewsElijahK

Number of Good Games per Season on 23:03 - Jun 17 by Butty101

Fella you are delusional

Romeu was a great player before Ralph rocked up.

Ralph improved vestaguard so much that we sold him for less than we bought him.

As I already said kwp hit the ground running. Otherwise why would we have bought him ffs

Tino has regressed by Xmas . Look at the comments on here if you don’t believe me.

How about the likes of Bednerek, valerey, Mcarthy dnepo redmond etc that appears to have regressed

And your just the typical idiotic fan, who not only consistently complaining about the club and Ralph, but now won’t even give him some of the credit he deserves.

As yeah we did loose money on Vestergaard, but it was Hughes that signed him, and for his first few seasons he was abysmal, and would’ve probably gone for basically nothing if it wasn’t for Ralph making him actually decent last season, so he managed to save us £15mill there.
And Livermento was decent up until we started to play poor, which is exactly why he was still playing when we were on the amazing run up to March.
And ffs KWP had the whole of lockdown with Ralph, as the games he played before that he wasn’t that good whatsoever, as it was only after months in lockdown that he actually showed how good he was, and even then has still improved since then.
Romeu had that great season when we first signed him, but he was poor under Hughes/Pellegrino (although which one it was I can’t remember), as that’s why he started to miss out on a few games. But even if you wanna say he wasn’t, there’s many that have improved.
As what about Armstrong, Prowse and Ings? Or are you just gonna overlook them because it clearly goes against what you were saying?

And yeah many of those players you’ve named haven’t been good, but Ralph ain’t the one who bought those players, and even then they’re not prem quality, meaning that they’ll never be as good as others in the squad. As look at Klopp/Guardiola/Conte etc as they’ve also got the players in there squad that haven’t turned out as they’d hoped, as no manager gets every player right.

Number of Good Games per Season on 14:19 - Jun 18 with 2255 viewsButty101

Number of Good Games per Season on 09:51 - Jun 18 by ElijahK

And your just the typical idiotic fan, who not only consistently complaining about the club and Ralph, but now won’t even give him some of the credit he deserves.

As yeah we did loose money on Vestergaard, but it was Hughes that signed him, and for his first few seasons he was abysmal, and would’ve probably gone for basically nothing if it wasn’t for Ralph making him actually decent last season, so he managed to save us £15mill there.
And Livermento was decent up until we started to play poor, which is exactly why he was still playing when we were on the amazing run up to March.
And ffs KWP had the whole of lockdown with Ralph, as the games he played before that he wasn’t that good whatsoever, as it was only after months in lockdown that he actually showed how good he was, and even then has still improved since then.
Romeu had that great season when we first signed him, but he was poor under Hughes/Pellegrino (although which one it was I can’t remember), as that’s why he started to miss out on a few games. But even if you wanna say he wasn’t, there’s many that have improved.
As what about Armstrong, Prowse and Ings? Or are you just gonna overlook them because it clearly goes against what you were saying?

And yeah many of those players you’ve named haven’t been good, but Ralph ain’t the one who bought those players, and even then they’re not prem quality, meaning that they’ll never be as good as others in the squad. As look at Klopp/Guardiola/Conte etc as they’ve also got the players in there squad that haven’t turned out as they’d hoped, as no manager gets every player right.

I already acknowledged JWP has improved immensely under him.

I dont think Armstrong has improved, he was a decent player when he joined, but hes never kicked. His goals/assists return is pretty poor.

Ings last season was pretty poor by the standards he had set.

Number of Good Games per Season on 17:13 - Jun 18 with 2200 viewsElijahK

Number of Good Games per Season on 14:19 - Jun 18 by Butty101

I already acknowledged JWP has improved immensely under him.

I dont think Armstrong has improved, he was a decent player when he joined, but hes never kicked. His goals/assists return is pretty poor.

Ings last season was pretty poor by the standards he had set.

Ings was poor as he decided he wanted to leave, as all the rumours came out during Christmas and then low and behold is form took a major drop, although that Ings was still better than what we’ve got today. But that’s still down to Ralph as he’s the one that got a decent player, to almost win the golden boot, as that requires both great coaching and a great player.

Armstrong wise, well I get that he’s got a poor goal/assist total, but he’s still one of our most creative players, and may not have gotten the final touch/pass for many goals we’ve scored, but he has started and contributed to many of them. And is almost certainly the best winger ever currently got (although that’s not necessarily too hard to fulfil)

Number of Good Games per Season on 17:29 - Jun 18 with 2187 viewssledger

forgetting the talk on who the coaching staff have improved and who they have made worse the one thing no one can argue about is how we went from having a slight chance of european football to a squad that completely downed tools for the rest of the season,i wonder why.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024