Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Glastonbury The Verdict 09:23 - Jun 27 with 1841 viewsSaintNick

For me it is too corporate now, whilst I accept it has to diversify, it is almost as if they feel they have to get the ;likes of Diana Ross to prove some point.

It has gone from its original aim and is now more about fashion than music, I love the fact that thousands of Vegans cannot see the irony of spending several days on a working dairy farm.

Sadly music has changed greatly in the last 15 years, perhaps with the demise of an actual physical record/cd collection these days, bands rarely attract the same followings they used to, the headlining acts at Glastonbury are all well established acts with the odd rapper thrown in.

Long gone are the mega bands, when was the last time a band went to superstardom, possibly the Arctic Monkeys & Kings of Leon and thats 16-17 years ago.

Four years ago Fontaines DC & Idles looked like they might break through to be mega, but truth is although they are popular they have not broken through to be massive, both half way down the bill on the Other Stage.

This is not to slate them, I though both performances were excellent and amongst the highlights of what I watched, however it shows how Glastonbury has changed and indeed music has changed, bands struggle to get past the 2-3,000 capacity venues these days.

I know Pat will point to Idles doing 5 nights at Brixton, but outside of London they can't do that and are still playing provincial venues of 2,000. Thats a reflection on the music business these days not Idles.

So look at this weekend's big gigs all old well established bands as headliners, not just at Glastonbury but elsewhere Rolling Stones at Hyde Park, Elton John at Bristol, the Eagles at various stadiums, all these three acts have been going for 50 years or more.

In 15 years time will it be an 80 year old Bono & U2 headlining ? or the still youthful Muse who will be barely in their 60's.

Highlights for me

Jesus & Mary Chain
Fontaines DC
Idles
Amyl & The Sniffers

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Glastonbury The Verdict on 09:52 - Jun 27 with 1797 viewssaintwizzler

It’s turned into like going to Dubai.
People go to say they’ve been.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Glastonbury The Verdict on 10:49 - Jun 27 with 1714 viewsdirk_doone

Glastonbury The Verdict on 09:52 - Jun 27 by saintwizzler

It’s turned into like going to Dubai.
People go to say they’ve been.

To be fair, if they managed to get to the front of the queue for the portaloos, they have every right to brag about it afterwards.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Glastonbury The Verdict on 11:09 - Jun 27 with 1690 viewskernow

Lot of money to pay to go and have your tent nicked.
Glastonbury The Verdict on 11:11 - Jun 27 with 1685 viewsdirk_doone

Glastonbury The Verdict on 11:09 - Jun 27 by kernow

Lot of money to pay to go and have your tent nicked.

I never take mine out of my attic. I know it's safe there.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Glastonbury The Verdict on 11:16 - Jun 27 with 1668 viewsprofessor_peach

Today music doesn't seem to have the same prominance in youth culture that it did 20-30 years ago. Growing up it was quite tribal: Indy kids, Metallers, Punks, Goths, Synth bands etc. Then there was Dance music, Brit Pop, Electronica, Trip Hop, Rap etc. New sounds were developed often based on older ideas and sounds. Bands seemed to run out of new ideas in about 2004. There always seems a resurgence of popular music when times are hard. We'll see.
I agree Glastonbury isn't as edgy and unpredictable as it was but when you have to spend so much putting it on what do you expect especially with health and safety the king now.
As Tony Wilson said, it is difficult to predict where the next youth movement will come from.
Glastonbury The Verdict on 11:27 - Jun 27 with 1638 viewsfelly1

We're just old fuddie duddies.Most of us on here I bet are in our 50s, 60s and 70s.
Times moved on and modern music is long gone past the stage of 4 or 5 nice art school/Council estate lads playing various takes on rock n roll.
This is a good thing as that style of music had clearly become pretty dull and stagnant in my opinion.
Don't get me wrong I love older music but the younger generations have no connection to it now.
Funnily enough I was having a drink with my old mate Stu who was in the legendary Valley Slags back in the 90s. He quit them days before there notorious performance when we played Leeds in the mid 90s. We listened back to them on YouTube... Bloody terrible. Funny days though.
Glastonbury The Verdict on 11:42 - Jun 27 with 1613 viewskingolaf

Really enjoyed Paul McCartney and Noel Gallagher on Saturday.

Primal Scream were brilliant.
Glastonbury The Verdict on 13:58 - Jun 27 with 1484 viewsSonicBoom

There is something for everyone - there are over 100 stages. So in fact there is more music at Glastonbury than there has ever been.
Im in my 50s but I like to see what is happening now as well as love the music of my youth. Some of the new stuff I can't stand, but some is great and introduces you to new ideas and sounds.
Lots of people get stuck in their ways with music and stop listening to new stuff. Then you get the "everything these days is rubbish". No it's not, it's just not for you.
I really enjoyed watching Billie Eilish with my teenage daughter. She's a huge star and it was good to see a 20 year old headlining. I wouldn't listen to her stuff myself but that doesn't make it crap. . Kendrick Lamar on the other hand was not for me at all - but the crowd loved it. To each their own.
Login to get fewer ads

Glastonbury The Verdict on 21:51 - Jun 27 with 1331 viewssaintwizzler

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Glastonbury The Verdict on 22:53 - Jun 27 with 1276 viewsdarthvader

Glastonbury The Verdict on 21:51 - Jun 27 by saintwizzler

Tha really sucks

keep the faith coyr

Glastonbury The Verdict on 23:30 - Jun 27 with 1255 viewsPatfromPoole

I did go to this IDLES gig in 2019 as well, think there were over 10,000 there; it sold out stupidly quick.

Re Nick’s point about their fanbase etc, I suspect politics comes into it a bit. They are obviously pretty left of centre politically, and bands with both mass appeal and longevity tend not to make politics a big part of their music.

With the NME not being anywhere near as influential as it was 30 years or so ago, they don’t get hyped as widely.

https://www.live4ever.uk.com/2019/06/idles-to-end-2019-with-biggest-gig-of-their

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Glastonbury The Verdict on 23:40 - Jun 27 with 1237 viewsPatfromPoole

I guess that virtually every IDLES song having either the “f” word or the “c” bomb in the lyrics (or both) could also have a bit of an impact on their airplay…..

One fairly young British rock act that does sell out decent-sized arenas is Royal Blood, BTW. Not everybody’s cup of tea but a fantastic live act.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Glastonbury The Verdict on 02:34 - Jun 28 with 1199 views1885_SFC

Glastonbury The Verdict on 21:51 - Jun 27 by saintwizzler

Is that The Blow Monkeys?

Old School is Cool

Glastonbury The Verdict on 07:14 - Jun 28 with 1136 viewsBicester_North

Glastonbury The Verdict on 23:40 - Jun 27 by PatfromPoole

I guess that virtually every IDLES song having either the “f” word or the “c” bomb in the lyrics (or both) could also have a bit of an impact on their airplay…..

One fairly young British rock act that does sell out decent-sized arenas is Royal Blood, BTW. Not everybody’s cup of tea but a fantastic live act.

Course that doesn’t have an impact on their airplay, most American rap music lyrics make idles look like The St Winifred’s school choir and that gets played to death on the radio

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Glastonbury The Verdict on 07:15 - Jun 28 with 1135 viewsBicester_North

Glastonbury The Verdict on 02:34 - Jun 28 by 1885_SFC

Is that The Blow Monkeys?

I thought it was Bad Manners

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024