Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
'The Swansea Way' 10:33 - Jan 19 with 3126 viewsC_jack

In your opinion, what has this affectionate tag become ?

A style of play? or an ethos surrounding the team, regardless of tactical approach?

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

'The Swansea Way' on 10:57 - Jan 19 with 3099 viewstrampie

It might be a generalisation but Swansea have always played football.

English teams in the 60's were defensive 4-4-2, no wingers, English teams in the 70 and 80's relied on being physical, English teams in the 90's were often long ball merchants.

The Swans always played football, the Welsh West Ham they were once called when the Hammers played football back in the day, then in more modern times Swanselona after Barcelona's successful team.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2015 12:19]

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

'The Swansea Way' on 11:01 - Jan 19 with 3094 viewsLeonisGod

Maybe it's less to do with the style of play these days and more with bouncing back to continually prove the doubters wrong. As hopefully we'll show again over the coming weeks.
'The Swansea Way' on 11:58 - Jan 19 with 3049 viewsQuakerJack

For me, the Swansea Way is as much about the ethos of the club off the field as the playing style on it.

Poll: Some scummer on the anus board reckons 80% of us want them to go down. so... do

'The Swansea Way' on 13:33 - Jan 19 with 2986 viewsC_jack

'The Swansea Way' on 10:57 - Jan 19 by trampie

It might be a generalisation but Swansea have always played football.

English teams in the 60's were defensive 4-4-2, no wingers, English teams in the 70 and 80's relied on being physical, English teams in the 90's were often long ball merchants.

The Swans always played football, the Welsh West Ham they were once called when the Hammers played football back in the day, then in more modern times Swanselona after Barcelona's successful team.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2015 12:19]

It is a huge generalisation, we certainly didn't play attractive football in the mid-late 90's, and the early 00's

'The Swansea Way' on 13:49 - Jan 19 with 2958 viewsNeiltheTaylor

A fading memory?

Joe_bradshaw -I thought the cryochamber was the new name for Cardiff's stadium.

'The Swansea Way' on 13:50 - Jan 19 with 2956 viewsjacksfullaces

I always find it interesting when pundits talk about how we play football the right way, but pretty much say that about every team bar a couple (Stoke, West Ham) and even those couple are talked about as not just a long ball team these days.

So pretty much everyone plays football then ? :)

How do you differentiate between the styles of passing game, that's what I would like to know?
'The Swansea Way' on 13:53 - Jan 19 with 2941 viewsApeShit

We certainly don't play the Swansea Way anymore... and it looks as if our off the pitch way is heading out the door as well with selling shares to Americans etc.
'The Swansea Way' on 13:58 - Jan 19 with 2928 viewstrampie

'The Swansea Way' on 13:33 - Jan 19 by C_jack

It is a huge generalisation, we certainly didn't play attractive football in the mid-late 90's, and the early 00's

That is why I used the word, when the Swans were tumbling down the leagues and struggling it was not pretty, when the Swans were going through the leagues it was ,particularly first time round with Robbie, Leighton James and Alan Curtis.

But when standing still the Swans have been known for good football within the game Swansea have always been known as a footballing team throughout their history.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

Login to get fewer ads

'The Swansea Way' on 14:59 - Jan 19 with 2903 viewsC_jack

'The Swansea Way' on 13:53 - Jan 19 by ApeShit

We certainly don't play the Swansea Way anymore... and it looks as if our off the pitch way is heading out the door as well with selling shares to Americans etc.

But we certainly haven;t played the same way for the last 10 years. So how can it be a style of play? The only constant I can see from Martinez-Monk, is being able to play short and snappy possession football, so is that all it is?

It's not the style of play that's given us our success, it's the combined work of all those on and off the pitch, towards the same goal. We didn't rocket up the leagues because we decided to start keeping possession. The acquisition of players with unproven potential is more the 'Swansea Way', than the amount of times we pass the ball before having a shot on goal.

'The Swansea Way' on 15:19 - Jan 19 with 2887 viewstrampie

'The Swansea Way' on 13:50 - Jan 19 by jacksfullaces

I always find it interesting when pundits talk about how we play football the right way, but pretty much say that about every team bar a couple (Stoke, West Ham) and even those couple are talked about as not just a long ball team these days.

So pretty much everyone plays football then ? :)

How do you differentiate between the styles of passing game, that's what I would like to know?

Not really Liverpool were awful negative even when they were at the top under Shankley, so was Leeds under Revie, so was Arsenal under George Graham, Forrest under Clough were negative, Everton and Blackburn likewise.

Man Utd and Spurs I would describe as footballing teams over the years, so not that many sides really.
West Ham until big Sam tried to play, Swans have not been in the top division that often over the years but have played football even in the lower leagues, Chelsea and Man City have both played football over the years. Newcastle and Villa have played a bit over the years as well.
Boro, Stoke, Wimbledon and if I remember right Cambridge Utd all played some anti football at various times, I think Crewe got a reputation for trying to play footie in the lower leagues at one time.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2015 15:21]

'The Swansea Way' on 19:03 - Jan 19 with 2819 viewsexiledclaseboy

A hostage to fortune.

Poll: Tory leader

'The Swansea Way' on 19:05 - Jan 19 with 2812 viewsJackfath

A fond memory

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

'The Swansea Way' on 19:13 - Jan 19 with 2790 viewsLeonisGod

'The Swansea Way' on 14:59 - Jan 19 by C_jack

But we certainly haven;t played the same way for the last 10 years. So how can it be a style of play? The only constant I can see from Martinez-Monk, is being able to play short and snappy possession football, so is that all it is?

It's not the style of play that's given us our success, it's the combined work of all those on and off the pitch, towards the same goal. We didn't rocket up the leagues because we decided to start keeping possession. The acquisition of players with unproven potential is more the 'Swansea Way', than the amount of times we pass the ball before having a shot on goal.

And we don't always seem comfortable playing short snappy stuff these days. We used to be renowned for playing our way out of trouble, but that happened much less once we got Bony as a target man. Looks like we may need to try to get back to playing out more from the back rather than longer balls to Gomis who isn't as good as Bony in that role.
'The Swansea Way' on 19:16 - Jan 19 with 2785 viewsBobJack

I belive it was an ethos , then a style of play was added.

Both curently feel under threat.

The talk of new owners and the feeling of an era coming to an end and a new team having to be built over next 12 to 24 months

Poll: Most FAVOURITE Swansea City Manager to date

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024