Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS 19:28 - Jan 17 with 1887 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester United play hosts to Macclesfield Town at the JSCS this weekend completing a trilogy of fixtures against the leagues bottom three sides. We are overdue a victory and I reckon it will come tomorrow in a 5-1 rout of the Silkmen.

Now forget all about the new management at Moss Rose - Mark Kennedy, the on and off field problems, the debts of £360K (£180K owed each to HMRC and Sol Campbell), the adjourned High Court winding up order until 26 March 2020 and the docking of 6 points following their failure to fulfil the Crewe Alexandra fixture; this is a game that Colchester have to win and win well.

There can be no more excuses, despite 12 games unbeaten (7 draws and 5 victories) it still leaves us short of the top three, which must be the aim this season. Automatic Promotion, after failure to reach the play offs in the previous seasons is what JM and his charges must aim for.

It has been an eventful week with Theo Robinson returning to the JSCS for the rest of the season.

In other news Sammie Szmodics has made the journey on loan from Bristol City to Peterborough for the rest of the season and today Brennan Dickenson has moved until the end of the season from MK Dons to Exeter.

JM is keen to bring in a full back but so far none has materialised. Our injuries continue to mount:

Cohen Bramall - ankle injury
Courtney Senior — groin injury
Paris Cowan-Hall — long term achilles injury
Omar Sowunmi — soft tissue injury

Ryan Jackson — one match ban after his red card at Morecambe

Now JM has hinted that he might change the line-up, but as Cameron James is not being recalled we effectively have no Centre Half cover and so three at the back is unlikely. It is more likely that he will play Tom Lapslie at Right Back with Eastman, Prosser and Clampin.

This of course leaves the midfield predicament. Can he at long last play Pell, Stevenson and Comley as a midfield triumvirate. I suspect sadly not because for some reason he currently ignores Comley (our most improved player of the season). Therefore, with only Pell and Stevenson in midfield he can play the following four up front.

Junior and Robinson with Poku and Nouble in support. But is he positive enough to do so? Junior needs to play as a number 9 and Robinson will support him. Big Frank wide on the wing and Kwame Poku as the number 10.

If JM is serious about scoring goals then give Junior the opportunity to shine and let him play the full 90 minutes.

Now JM likes Harriott and Gambin especially as we are missing Senior, but recently Gambin has been ineffective and Harriott, despite his talent, has been trying too many step overs and defenders have worked him out.

So, let us try the following tomorrow:

Gerken

Lapslie Eastman Prosser Clampin

Pell Stevenson

Poku Nouble

Junior Robinson

Subs:

Ross Kensdale Fernandes Comley Norris Hutchinson Harriott

This team has goals in it, and we need to score early and take the game to them from the outset. Not only will a handsome victory give us the confidence to tackle more exacting games, but also the three points will kick start our promotion push after four successive drawn games.

Table:

Swindon 27 53
Exeter 26 50
Cheltenham 26 44
Crewe 25 44
Plymouth 25 44
Bradford 26 44
FGR 27 44
Northampton 26 42
COL U 26 41

Bottom:

Macclesfield 25 24
Morecambe 27 22
Stevenage 27 19

The weather in Colchester tomorrow will be sunny with a high of 7 degrees Celsius. More importantly it will be dry (after some recent heavy rain and strong winds).

The faithful were present at Stevenage in very good number (749) and 100 travelled to Morecambe so we can hope for close to 4,000 tomorrow to witness a home victory.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 20:39 - Jan 17 with 1016 viewsgerry_us

McG suggests "we have to keep doing the good things we've done in the past twelve matches."

I believe we need something much BETTER than that Sir.
Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 21:27 - Jan 17 with 1004 viewsGOSBTS

My first Col U game since the FA Cup loss to Coventry. It's been a while and I'm very excited to be in attendance tomorrow! Like you Durham I had been eyeing this one up for a big victory and was going for 6-1. Having looked at Macclesfield's recent form and our defensive injuries however, I'm going for a more conservative (but solid) 2-0 victory.

Up the U's!
Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 21:38 - Jan 17 with 999 viewsdurham_exile

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 21:27 - Jan 17 by GOSBTS

My first Col U game since the FA Cup loss to Coventry. It's been a while and I'm very excited to be in attendance tomorrow! Like you Durham I had been eyeing this one up for a big victory and was going for 6-1. Having looked at Macclesfield's recent form and our defensive injuries however, I'm going for a more conservative (but solid) 2-0 victory.

Up the U's!

GOSBTS enjoy the game
Here's hoping for a big win and three valuable points.
UTU's

Durham_exile

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 22:57 - Jan 17 with 984 viewsLeadbelly

Without the points deduction Macclesfield would be in 17th place on 30 points. They’ve lost just 7 games and conceded only 3 more goals than Col U. They have also drawn 12 games. Tomorrow has draw written all over it!

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 13:53 - Jan 18 with 934 viewsdurham_exile

Tafari Moore, 22 year old defender has signed from Plymouth on loan.

Defensive cover until the end of the season and will wear the Number 22 jersey.

He appears to be out of favour at Home Park and his contract expires in June.

Anyway welcome to Colchester Tafari.

UTU's
[Post edited 18 Jan 2020 14:00]

Durham_exile

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 14:13 - Jan 18 with 922 viewsdurham_exile

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 13:53 - Jan 18 by durham_exile

Tafari Moore, 22 year old defender has signed from Plymouth on loan.

Defensive cover until the end of the season and will wear the Number 22 jersey.

He appears to be out of favour at Home Park and his contract expires in June.

Anyway welcome to Colchester Tafari.

UTU's
[Post edited 18 Jan 2020 14:00]

Team today

Gerken

Moore Eastman Prosser Clampin

Pell Stevenson

Nouble Poku Harriott

Robinson

Subs

Sowunmi Kensdale Lapslie Comley Gambin Norris Ross

Junior not even on the bench what is going on????????

Tafari Moore straight into the team

UTU's

Durham_exile

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 14:35 - Jan 18 with 917 viewswessex_exile

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 14:13 - Jan 18 by durham_exile

Team today

Gerken

Moore Eastman Prosser Clampin

Pell Stevenson

Nouble Poku Harriott

Robinson

Subs

Sowunmi Kensdale Lapslie Comley Gambin Norris Ross

Junior not even on the bench what is going on????????

Tafari Moore straight into the team

UTU's

Welcome Tafari - no surprise he's straight into the team, with Jacko suspended, hope he takes his chance to impress.

No idea about Junior, is he injured?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 14:46 - Jan 18 with 912 viewsdurham_exile

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 14:35 - Jan 18 by wessex_exile

Welcome Tafari - no surprise he's straight into the team, with Jacko suspended, hope he takes his chance to impress.

No idea about Junior, is he injured?

Well he's hardly been overplayed by JM

UTU's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 14:51 - Jan 18 with 907 viewsgerry_us

How many minutes for Junior today then...NONE.
What has he done to be treated like this. He is basically the only exciting player we have in the club. There then is the answer I suppose...McG does not do exciting! Boring..yes.
Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 15:00 - Jan 18 with 906 viewsdurham_exile

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 14:51 - Jan 18 by gerry_us

How many minutes for Junior today then...NONE.
What has he done to be treated like this. He is basically the only exciting player we have in the club. There then is the answer I suppose...McG does not do exciting! Boring..yes.

It is a total disgrace.

Junior will go the same way as Macca Bonne

I am convinced JM doesn't want the club to be promoted.

I hope I'm proved wrong but unless he is injured he should be in the squad today.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 15:06 - Jan 18 with 904 viewsburnsieespana

Sorry guys just don't see what the excitement over Junior is about.
Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 15:16 - Jan 18 with 900 viewswessex_exile

Cracking strike from Harriott from 25 yards, U's 1 Macc 0

Come On!!!

Up the U's

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 15:17 - Jan 18 with 899 viewswessex_exile

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 15:16 - Jan 18 by wessex_exile

Cracking strike from Harriott from 25 yards, U's 1 Macc 0

Come On!!!

2-0!!! Sounds like an OG, but all Poku's work

Up the U's

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 15:31 - Jan 18 with 895 viewsgerry_us

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 15:06 - Jan 18 by burnsieespana

Sorry guys just don't see what the excitement over Junior is about.

Don't know if you have seen him okay much....not that any of us have actually. My first impressions of him were of a latter day Lua Lua ....... given the opportunity obviously.
Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 15:37 - Jan 18 with 892 viewswessex_exile

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 15:31 - Jan 18 by gerry_us

Don't know if you have seen him okay much....not that any of us have actually. My first impressions of him were of a latter day Lua Lua ....... given the opportunity obviously.

I would like to see him have a decent chance, but I'm not yet convinced he's our key to success this season. Scoring a bunch of goals in what is really non-league standard football in Eire (no disrespect intended) is all well and good, but this is step up for Junior.

Up the U's

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 16:28 - Jan 18 with 877 viewswessex_exile

Salford get a second at FGR, U's up to 8th at the moment, and a five point gap down to Port Vale in 10th place.

Up the U's

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 16:33 - Jan 18 with 876 viewsgerry_us

As Durham would say ....
Squeaky bum time now.
2-1
Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 16:42 - Jan 18 with 867 viewsdurham_exile

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 16:33 - Jan 18 by gerry_us

As Durham would say ....
Squeaky bum time now.
2-1

And Exeter score a late goal at GRIMsby

UTU's

Durham_exile

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 16:57 - Jan 18 with 861 viewsdurham_exile

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 16:42 - Jan 18 by durham_exile

And Exeter score a late goal at GRIMsby

UTU's

Unbeaten in 13 games

7 draws and 6 victories

Stevenage won
Morecambe lost

UTU's

Durham_exile

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 17:08 - Jan 18 with 855 viewswessex_exile

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 16:57 - Jan 18 by durham_exile

Unbeaten in 13 games

7 draws and 6 victories

Stevenage won
Morecambe lost

UTU's

Great to finally get another victory, keeps us well in the hunt. Interesting set of results elsewhere - Swindon drop 3pts at Newport, Bradford throw away a 2-goal lead to draw at home to Scunthorpe, Cheltenham lose at Crewe, and Salford win at FGR, despite having two players sent off (okay, the second was in the 5th minute of extra-time).

Tuesday is crucial, another victory against Bradford City is essential!

Up the U's

Up the U's

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 17:08 - Jan 18 with 854 viewsMoor_Pinot

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 16:57 - Jan 18 by durham_exile

Unbeaten in 13 games

7 draws and 6 victories

Stevenage won
Morecambe lost

UTU's

It's a good run Durham, but hardly a convincing one. The main thing is to keep it going even though it has gained us very little league positions wise. We're still outside the playoffs because we score few and draw plenty.
We are entering the period of 'time will tell'.
We are still not picking the best team or even bench either.
Beat Bradford and that may be defining, avoid the usual thrashing at Exeter and things will look ever more positive.
So in a week things may look a whole lot better one way or t'other!

Moor Pinot

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 17:19 - Jan 18 with 845 viewswessex_exile

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 17:08 - Jan 18 by Moor_Pinot

It's a good run Durham, but hardly a convincing one. The main thing is to keep it going even though it has gained us very little league positions wise. We're still outside the playoffs because we score few and draw plenty.
We are entering the period of 'time will tell'.
We are still not picking the best team or even bench either.
Beat Bradford and that may be defining, avoid the usual thrashing at Exeter and things will look ever more positive.
So in a week things may look a whole lot better one way or t'other!

I'm a firm believer that if you can't win, at least don't lose, and we're showing we have the strength of character to do that. There's no point trying to gloss over some of our recent dispiriting draws against teams at the wrong of the table, you're right, but overall 25pts from 13 matches is well over 1.9pts per game - that's still usually automatic promotion form.

Up the U's

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 17:56 - Jan 18 with 830 viewsLeadbelly

A welcome three points but very much despite McGreal who killed it stone dead with his masterful substitutions. Soon as Stevenson, who was running midfield, was replaced Macclesfield had so much more of the game.

General observation is that League 2 football is dire and with McGreal at the helm we can look forward to a lot more of it. We won the game but there was absolutely nothing to make me hurry back...even goal of the season contender from Harriott.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 18:09 - Jan 18 with 826 viewsdurham_exile

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 15:31 - Jan 18 by gerry_us

Opinion on the board is clearly divided over Junior just as it was over Bonne.

Macca Bonne is playing well for Charlton.

Colchester brought Junior back from Derry and JM made it clear that after checking his fitness then Junior would play for the first team.

I have probably seen every minute he has played for Colchester which doesn't amount to much.

But he is pacy he has considerable skill and he should be given a chance against Bradford Tuesday night.

It doesn't matter what level of football you play at defenders cannot live with pace.

If Junior is injured then the local newspaper did not mention it and neither did the club.

JM lacks creativity and ideas when it comes to young pacy strikers and giving Junior either 4 minutes or 8 minutes is disgraceful. Worse still playing him on the right wing at Morecambe was hopeless.

He must play as a striker and preferably with Robinson.

Perhaps we might learn more in the next 48 hours ahead of the Bantams visit.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 20:16 - Jan 18 with 785 viewsGOSBTS

A good three points today. Should have been closer to Durham's 5-1 prediction and in the end we made it a lot harder than it should have been.

We shouldn't forget that this could have been a continuation of recent games where the U's struggled to break down an inferior but resolute opposition. Harriott ensured that it wasn't to be with a wonder strike that guaranteed Macclesfield couldn't simply come for the 0-0 draw. Harriott and Poku were absolutely excellent today. We didn't sit back either - if Theo's beautifully worked third had counted we would have been out of sight. However, after that the players for some reason started to jog rather than run and the game almost became boring. Macclesfield then scored a goal out of nothing and made the game unnecessarily tense. Theo almost added a third straight after and the ref seemed to bottle a clear penalty, unless Theo took a monumental dive which looks unlikely. Coincidentally, the ref refused to make any big decisions today and was thus infuriating by the end. Norris also could have added in the last moments. I thought Comley was excellent when he came on.

Make no mistake, we played very very well when we needed to and it was a reassuring warm up before the Bradford game. Harriott was frighteningly good. We relaxed and it almost cost us, but the players know they won't be able to do this in the next three games.

13 unbeaten and a much needed 3 points, up the U's! Was great to be back and can't wait for Bradford on Tuesday night!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024