Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Deadly Chinese virus spreads to U.S. 13:50 - Jan 22 with 6360 viewsLord_Bony

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Deadly Chinese virus spreads to U.S. on 18:35 - Jan 22 with 4222 viewsdickythorpe

Caught from animals I think I heard on radio Wales?
Deadly Chinese virus spreads to U.S. on 19:02 - Jan 22 with 4215 viewsLuther27

Deadly Chinese virus spreads to U.S. on 18:35 - Jan 22 by dickythorpe

Yes according to the Chinese, who also said it couldn't be transferred between humans. God knows how many people are already infected and travelling merrily away around the world.
Deadly Chinese virus spreads to U.S. on 20:43 - Jan 22 with 4176 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Infectious disease expert on Radio 4 PM this evening considered the virus to be not particularly strong. This is always worth a watch:

https://www.gapminder.org/videos/swine-flu-alert-news-death-ratio-tuberculosis/
[Post edited 22 Jan 2020 20:45]

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Deadly Chinese virus spreads to U.S. on 21:09 - Jan 22 with 4160 viewsHighjack

Deadly Chinese virus spreads to U.S. on 20:43 - Jan 22 by JACKMANANDBOY

Infectious disease expert on Radio 4 PM this evening considered the virus to be not particularly strong. This is always worth a watch:

https://www.gapminder.org/videos/swine-flu-alert-news-death-ratio-tuberculosis/
[Post edited 22 Jan 2020 20:45]

It’s probably one of these that are particularly dangerous to the very old and the very young. Just like most other variants of flu. I don’t think it’s panic stations yet. Let’s keep on eating our fruit and veg, plenty of vitamin C, lots of greens, plenty of sunlight ok lads?

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Deadly Chinese virus spreads to U.S. on 21:14 - Jan 22 with 4152 viewsDr_Winston

Has anyone read World War Z?

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Deadly Chinese virus spreads to U.S. on 21:18 - Jan 22 with 4146 viewsexiledclaseboy

Deadly Chinese virus spreads to U.S. on 21:14 - Jan 22 by Dr_Winston

I’ve seen the film. It’s rubbish.

Poll: Tory leader

Deadly Chinese virus spreads to U.S. on 21:21 - Jan 22 with 4143 viewsDr_Winston

Deadly Chinese virus spreads to U.S. on 21:18 - Jan 22 by exiledclaseboy

I’ve seen the film. It’s rubbish.

Read the book. Waaay better.

Only thing in common with the film is the title.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Deadly Chinese virus spreads to U.S. on 21:24 - Jan 22 with 4141 viewsexiledclaseboy

Deadly Chinese virus spreads to U.S. on 21:21 - Jan 22 by Dr_Winston

Read the book. Waaay better.

Only thing in common with the film is the title.

No Cardiff in the book?

Login to get fewer ads

Deadly Chinese virus spreads to U.S. on 21:29 - Jan 22 with 4131 viewsDr_Winston

Deadly Chinese virus spreads to U.S. on 21:24 - Jan 22 by exiledclaseboy

No Cardiff in the book?

Nope.

No W.H.O. Doctor played by Peter Capaldi in any way, shape or form.

Deadly Chinese virus spreads to U.S. on 21:32 - Jan 22 with 4127 viewsDarran

Deadly Chinese virus spreads to U.S. on 18:35 - Jan 22 by dickythorpe

Don’t shag them then

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Deadly Chinese virus spreads to U.S. on 21:37 - Jan 22 with 4122 viewslonglostjack

Deadly Chinese virus spreads to U.S. on 21:32 - Jan 22 by Darran

Don’t shag them then

Old habits die hard in Carmarthen.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Deadly Chinese virus spreads to U.S. on 21:46 - Jan 22 with 4113 viewsDarran

Deadly Chinese virus spreads to U.S. on 21:37 - Jan 22 by longlostjack

Old habits die hard in Carmarthen.

😂

Deadly Chinese virus spreads to U.S. on 21:53 - Jan 22 with 4108 viewsLord_Bony

Deadly Chinese virus spreads to U.S. on 21:14 - Jan 22 by Dr_Winston

17 people dead since december, the virus is present in mainland China and a few s e Asian countries.

World War Z indeed. The Chinese government have just announced they are putting the whole city of 11million people on lockdown. No-one can get.out.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jan/22/coronavirus-china-measures-rein-sp

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"

Deadly Chinese virus spreads to U.S. on 22:01 - Jan 22 with 4090 viewsLuther27

Deadly Chinese virus spreads to U.S. on 21:53 - Jan 22 by Lord_Bony

17 people dead since december, the virus is present in mainland China and a few s e Asian countries.

World War Z indeed. The Chinese government have just announced they are putting the whole city of 11million people on lockdown. No-one can get.out.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jan/22/coronavirus-china-measures-rein-sp

Shouldn't we do this to London?....just in case
Deadly Chinese virus spreads to U.S. on 22:02 - Jan 22 with 4090 viewsexiledclaseboy

Is it the end of the world again?

Deadly Chinese virus spreads to U.S. on 22:10 - Jan 22 with 4071 viewsDarran

I reckon more than that have died from flu in the UK.

Deadly Chinese virus spreads to U.S. on 22:20 - Jan 22 with 4046 viewsLord_Bony

Some of these viruses can mutate and turn nasty. Like the Spanish Flu.
Probably this one will be contained and nothing will happen to us, but the risk is always there with modern air travel.

The Spanish flu pandemic of 1918, the deadliest in history, infected an estimated 500 million people worldwide–about one-third of the planet’s population–and killed an estimated 20 million to 50 million victims, including some 675,000 Americans.

https://www.history.com/topics/world-war-i/1918-flu-pandemic

Deadly Chinese virus spreads to U.S. on 09:16 - Jan 23 with 3913 viewsProfessor

Deadly Chinese virus spreads to U.S. on 22:20 - Jan 22 by Lord_Bony

Some of these viruses can mutate and turn nasty. Like the Spanish Flu.
Probably this one will be contained and nothing will happen to us, but the risk is always there with modern air travel.

The Spanish flu pandemic of 1918, the deadliest in history, infected an estimated 500 million people worldwide–about one-third of the planet’s population–and killed an estimated 20 million to 50 million victims, including some 675,000 Americans.

https://www.history.com/topics/world-war-i/1918-flu-pandemic

Very much the case-and yes, Darran many more will have died from Flu. We work on coronaviruses here-both IBV which is about the most common chicken virus in the UK and MERS -the camel and human associated one. Nearly all are respiratory (apart from causing diarrhoea in cattle). This new Wuhan one is a bit like SARS from 16 years ago, though looks a bit less nasty. Most of these things have a zoonotic origins (that is from non-human animals). China is a pretty bad place for them to emerge-lots of pigs and ducks which are good mixers for viral re-assortment and mutation, plus many live or wet markets and often animals including pigs, chickens and ducks living much closer to people allowing a species jump. Generally viruses have a narrow range of hosts as the receptors on cells their use to enter are species specific. What happens, especially with flu, is that you get a mix or hybrid like an avian influenza with a more hums-like receptor. Coronaviruses do this but less so than orthomyxoviruses like flu. In contrast bacteria usually have much wider ranges of hosts due to larger genomes, more genes, more versatile and ultimately the ability to live free of the host-something viruses cannot do, They have to use host cell's machinery to survive.
Deadly Chinese virus spreads to U.S. on 09:39 - Jan 23 with 3894 viewsVincent_Vega

3 weeks into the new decade and twice the end of days has been called.

People are mad

Boycott Shampoo......Demand Real Poo!!!

Deadly Chinese virus spreads to U.S. on 09:43 - Jan 23 with 3884 viewsLohengrin

Deadly Chinese virus spreads to U.S. on 09:16 - Jan 23 by Professor

Very much the case-and yes, Darran many more will have died from Flu. We work on coronaviruses here-both IBV which is about the most common chicken virus in the UK and MERS -the camel and human associated one. Nearly all are respiratory (apart from causing diarrhoea in cattle). This new Wuhan one is a bit like SARS from 16 years ago, though looks a bit less nasty. Most of these things have a zoonotic origins (that is from non-human animals). China is a pretty bad place for them to emerge-lots of pigs and ducks which are good mixers for viral re-assortment and mutation, plus many live or wet markets and often animals including pigs, chickens and ducks living much closer to people allowing a species jump. Generally viruses have a narrow range of hosts as the receptors on cells their use to enter are species specific. What happens, especially with flu, is that you get a mix or hybrid like an avian influenza with a more hums-like receptor. Coronaviruses do this but less so than orthomyxoviruses like flu. In contrast bacteria usually have much wider ranges of hosts due to larger genomes, more genes, more versatile and ultimately the ability to live free of the host-something viruses cannot do, They have to use host cell's machinery to survive.

Would it be much of a stretch to describe communism as a zoonotic bacillus, Prof?

Ideological zoonosis. It’s got a nice ring to it.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Deadly Chinese virus spreads to U.S. on 10:37 - Jan 23 with 3861 viewsCatullus

Deadly Chinese virus spreads to U.S. on 09:16 - Jan 23 by Professor

So we shouldn't be too worried then and orthonomyxovirus would be a worse thing?

They said on the news this morning there isn't a cure for this so more people will die but that's just the way it is. I won't start hoarding food or putting the shuuters up just yet!

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Deadly Chinese virus spreads to U.S. on 11:06 - Jan 23 with 3844 viewsDarran

A mate of mine in Baglan died of corona virus in 1976.
He was chasing after the pop lorry and got hit by a car coming the other way.

Deadly Chinese virus spreads to U.S. on 11:09 - Jan 23 with 3840 viewsCatullus

Deadly Chinese virus spreads to U.S. on 11:06 - Jan 23 by Darran

A mate of mine in Baglan died of corona virus in 1976.
He was chasing after the pop lorry and got hit by a car coming the other way.

I thought he drowned when he drove into a Marina?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Deadly Chinese virus spreads to U.S. on 12:51 - Jan 23 with 3804 viewsHighjack

I knew I should have taken those shares in that face mask manufacturing company.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Deadly Chinese virus spreads to U.S. on 13:56 - Jan 23 with 3766 viewsProfessor

Deadly Chinese virus spreads to U.S. on 10:37 - Jan 23 by Catullus

So we shouldn't be too worried then and orthonomyxovirus would be a worse thing?

They said on the news this morning there isn't a cure for this so more people will die but that's just the way it is. I won't start hoarding food or putting the shuuters up just yet!

Flu is an orthomyxovirus. Ultimately I would worry more about flu . We will get another pandemic
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024