Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Beer help ! 21:41 - May 31 with 24499 viewsactonman

I have noted quite a few posters on here have a good taste for some proper real ale and beer. Now my normal tipple would be the usual fosters / Stella commercial stuff (mainly down to getting it cheap) but am getting a bit bored of the same old same old.
Went in to Asda today to have a look at what they do and I must say I dont know where to start ?

Hobgoblins , speckled hens , ipa .... Don't know where to start.

Any experts with some recommendations please ( no light ale p!sswater though )

Beer help ! on 11:09 - Jun 1 with 3932 viewsDiscodroids

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Beer help ! on 11:11 - Jun 1 with 3939 viewsMetallica_Hoop

IPA all the way. It's fruity a real ale for summer.

Greene King is the classic weak version but you can get many more of higher %

This is an amazing RED IPA Like rocket fuel.

Or try Fuller's ESB 5 pints of that is like 9 of t'other beer.

These Mexican ones are also very tasty and can be found in the crobar

[Post edited 1 Jun 2015 11:25]

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Beer help ! on 11:40 - Jun 1 with 3900 viewsbatmanhoop

not being an expert but if you have only ever drunk lager I'd leave the strong bitters alone for awhile. Try a session beer in the 3.5% range. There are so many great bitters out there, I'm on Otter Ale, locally brewed and a great pint
Beer help ! on 12:38 - Jun 1 with 3858 viewsYorkRanger

So much to choose from. I aways enjoy trying Guest Ales when in a pub and the York Tap on York Station is the Daddy of Pubs when it comes to Real Ale. Anyway in no particular order I enjoy all of the following

London Pride
Green King IPA
Timothy Taylor's Landlord
Banks Bitter
Cumberland Ale (Jennings)
Thwaites Lancaster Bomber
Marstons Pedigree
Youngs Bitter
Wold Top (all varieties really)
Tetleys - hand pulled preferably
Beer help ! on 13:10 - Jun 1 with 3837 viewslosethedrum

Best thing about this thread is that i am on holiday this week and so off to Norwich Queen of iceni this afternoon , appetite well and truly whetted by all this drinks discussion , cheers everyone !
Beer help ! on 13:20 - Jun 1 with 3828 viewsKonk

Beer help ! on 10:34 - Jun 1 by robith

I love Beavertown - Gamma Ray is the absolute nuts. Bloody Ell, their blood organe IPA is pretty tidy too.

Siren brewery out in Berkshire do some absolutely delicious drops.

Redemption brewery in Tottenham make some corking light and pale ales

Gamma Ray is a cracking beer — have you been up to their Tap room at Tottenham Hale? Well worth a visit. I love Redemption and the bloke who founded them is a really lovely bloke too. Big Chief and Hopspur are great beers, and Trinity is a cracking session ale at 3%. If you’re the sort of bloke who likes to spend a day on the pop before returning home to operate heavy machinery, then I think Trinity might be the way to go. Remarkable amount of flavour considering you’re drinking something so light on the alcohol front. Not sure if you’ve tried the Wild card beers, but their Queen of Hearts IPA is a gorgeous pint and justifies a visit to their brewery.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Beer help ! on 13:28 - Jun 1 with 3808 viewsMetallica_Hoop

One shall be found here on the Wednesday 8th July as tradition demands along with probably Orthodox_Hoop.

Anyone else going?

http://www.ealingbeerfestival.org.uk/

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Beer help ! on 13:46 - Jun 1 with 3792 viewsrobith

Beer help ! on 13:20 - Jun 1 by Konk

Gamma Ray is a cracking beer — have you been up to their Tap room at Tottenham Hale? Well worth a visit. I love Redemption and the bloke who founded them is a really lovely bloke too. Big Chief and Hopspur are great beers, and Trinity is a cracking session ale at 3%. If you’re the sort of bloke who likes to spend a day on the pop before returning home to operate heavy machinery, then I think Trinity might be the way to go. Remarkable amount of flavour considering you’re drinking something so light on the alcohol front. Not sure if you’ve tried the Wild card beers, but their Queen of Hearts IPA is a gorgeous pint and justifies a visit to their brewery.

Yeah I have, it's great mostly because it's £2.50 for 2/3s a pint when a pint of Neck Oil in the pub round the corner from me office if £5.60

Big Chief is THE ONE

I had queen of hearts literally 2 days ago - missus bought me a bottle as a present. Lovely drop
Login to get fewer ads

Beer help ! on 13:53 - Jun 1 with 3787 viewsKonk

Beer help ! on 13:46 - Jun 1 by robith

Yeah I have, it's great mostly because it's £2.50 for 2/3s a pint when a pint of Neck Oil in the pub round the corner from me office if £5.60

Big Chief is THE ONE

I had queen of hearts literally 2 days ago - missus bought me a bottle as a present. Lovely drop

Big Chief — Big Trouble. I’m banned from drinking more than 2 pints of that in a single session after a few all-dayers that went a bit wrong. I’ve fallen asleep on the toilet, twice now, after a day on that.

Wild Card - sat out in the sunshine listening to the Stone Roses first album, drinking pints of that at £3.60 a few yards from where it was brewed...a cracking day and there's a couple of decent pubs up in Walthamstow now too.

Ooh, and another couple of really nice North London beers are Hammerton's N1 and N7, although the N7 has a Big Chief like effect on me if I stick at it all day.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2015 14:00]

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Beer help ! on 14:01 - Jun 1 with 3779 viewsw7r

Oh man there are so many. I pretty much gave up lager a few years back - I actually tried to stop drinking but have since given up trying.

Thornbridge do some cracking beers, my two favorites at the moment are
Wild Swan & Chiron.

The Twickenham brewery "Naked Ladies" , they also do a delicious Red Ale, called Red Head funnily enough.

For something a bit different you can try Weird Beards range (brewed in Hanwell, W7)

There's the Meantime Brewery, Sambrook Brewery, Camden, Brew Dogs & Chappledowns fantastic Curious Brew & IPA - never been such a shit time to try and give up drinking.

I could go on the choice of quality ales staggering , but once tasted you'll never go back.

Enjoy!
Beer help ! on 14:56 - Jun 1 with 3759 viewsbatmanhoop

Beer help ! on 12:38 - Jun 1 by YorkRanger

So much to choose from. I aways enjoy trying Guest Ales when in a pub and the York Tap on York Station is the Daddy of Pubs when it comes to Real Ale. Anyway in no particular order I enjoy all of the following

London Pride
Green King IPA
Timothy Taylor's Landlord
Banks Bitter
Cumberland Ale (Jennings)
Thwaites Lancaster Bomber
Marstons Pedigree
Youngs Bitter
Wold Top (all varieties really)
Tetleys - hand pulled preferably

I've never been but they tell me York is a fantastic place for pubs. Arkels Best Bitter from Swindon is one of my favourites. There was a pub off Sutherland Ave. (Truscott Arms) that had 10 hand pumps on. They had a 10 up club where even some women managed to drink all 10 in a session, 7.00-11.00
Beer help ! on 15:13 - Jun 1 with 3746 viewspeejaybee

Red Barrel

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

Beer help ! on 15:29 - Jun 1 with 3731 viewsDiscodroids

I bought a few bottles 'real' ale at the weekend, to try them out as I was feeling a bit adventurous in Sainsbury's. One of them was called Badger's Hole and the other Sheila's Quim. Or something like that.

Anyway, I opened up one of the bottles at dinner and my princess says: "Have you farted?" She was right. It smelt like farts and tasted like somebody had farted into some water.

my nose crinkling with distaste, i reached for a bottle of Asahi, reassuringly over priced , and quite crucially , doesnt smell of a hipsters eggy farts

#beerbantz
[Post edited 1 Jun 2015 15:32]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Beer help ! on 16:16 - Jun 1 with 3699 viewsjohncharles

IPA every time. Some great American IPA's around. Goose Island is my favourite. The Weld used to do Lagunitas Californian IPA at 6.2 %. Not strong enough ? Try a British Great Eastern at 7.4 %.
If you're still an Acton lad get down to Weird beard at Hanwell. Off sales and draught on open days.

[Post edited 1 Jun 2015 16:17]

Strong and stable my arse.

Beer help ! on 17:23 - Jun 1 with 3665 viewsrobith

Beer help ! on 13:53 - Jun 1 by Konk

Big Chief — Big Trouble. I’m banned from drinking more than 2 pints of that in a single session after a few all-dayers that went a bit wrong. I’ve fallen asleep on the toilet, twice now, after a day on that.

Wild Card - sat out in the sunshine listening to the Stone Roses first album, drinking pints of that at £3.60 a few yards from where it was brewed...a cracking day and there's a couple of decent pubs up in Walthamstow now too.

Ooh, and another couple of really nice North London beers are Hammerton's N1 and N7, although the N7 has a Big Chief like effect on me if I stick at it all day.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2015 14:00]

Bosko by Pressure Drop is similar for me. Absolutely gorgeous, but I'm asleep with 30 minutes of finishing the bottle.

I used to love London Fields stuff until I found out the owner is a coke dealer who is using the profits of the brewery to pay off his restitution following his conviction.

Forepure is a nice go to.

Crate IPA is gorgeous, and their brewery pub on the river lea is so nice. Great pizzas too
Beer help ! on 17:37 - Jun 1 with 3565 viewsactonman

Well I must say, there are some great suggestions from the "experts" on here !

Think I will have my own beer festival in the garden this weekend and see what I can get hold of down the local supermarket.

Going to get messy with no FCKING football to spoil things !
Beer help ! on 18:35 - Jun 1 with 3547 viewsjohncharles

Beer help ! on 17:37 - Jun 1 by actonman

Well I must say, there are some great suggestions from the "experts" on here !

Think I will have my own beer festival in the garden this weekend and see what I can get hold of down the local supermarket.

Going to get messy with no FCKING football to spoil things !

EALING BEER FESTIVAL !!!!!!!!!!
coming up soon.

Beer help ! on 18:41 - Jun 1 with 3541 viewsjohncharles

Beer help ! on 10:34 - Jun 1 by robith

I love Beavertown - Gamma Ray is the absolute nuts. Bloody Ell, their blood organe IPA is pretty tidy too.

Siren brewery out in Berkshire do some absolutely delicious drops.

Redemption brewery in Tottenham make some corking light and pale ales

Just had a Bloody Ell at the old Pack Horse in Chiswick.
7. something % and Bloody gorgeous.

Beer help ! on 18:53 - Jun 1 with 3534 viewsNW5Hoop

If you've generally been drinking lagers, it's worth trying some American-style pale ales, which have the same clean, sharp refreshing taste, but are more rounded and tasty than lagers. Camden Brewery Pale Ale is very good, and often on tap (not keg) in London pubs now. I had an N7 pale ale last night which was good, and a Hackney Brewery American pale ale.
Beer help ! on 19:08 - Jun 1 with 3519 viewsSimonJames

I mainly drink Jim Beam

...but when I do have girly drinks it's usually Cobra for lager

or Cheddar Valley for cider.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Beer help ! on 19:09 - Jun 1 with 3516 viewspaulparker

Beer help ! on 15:29 - Jun 1 by Discodroids

I bought a few bottles 'real' ale at the weekend, to try them out as I was feeling a bit adventurous in Sainsbury's. One of them was called Badger's Hole and the other Sheila's Quim. Or something like that.

Anyway, I opened up one of the bottles at dinner and my princess says: "Have you farted?" She was right. It smelt like farts and tasted like somebody had farted into some water.

my nose crinkling with distaste, i reached for a bottle of Asahi, reassuringly over priced , and quite crucially , doesnt smell of a hipsters eggy farts

#beerbantz

If your going on the Ale Disco start off on the light stuff first I would recommend

Dizzy Blonde
Deuchars IPA ( great lunch time drink for a session)
Summer lightning ( fcuking nector )
Inferno ( from the Oakham brewery
Also Chiswick bitter from Fullers ( kin beautiful

All of these I would recommend problem is your guts in the morning are lethal , the missus does her nut

Also if you get the chance get on the Grimbergen blonde it's the best of the Belgium beers it's not to strong and doesn't give you a pounding head the next day , it's as smooth as Richard gere in American Gigolo

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Beer help ! on 19:24 - Jun 1 with 3512 viewsHoop_Du_Jour

Beer help ! on 15:29 - Jun 1 by Discodroids

#beerbantz

Used colonic irrigation water, dreadful way to imbibe alcohol.
Beer help ! on 19:43 - Jun 1 with 3494 viewsrobith

Beer help ! on 18:53 - Jun 1 by NW5Hoop

If you've generally been drinking lagers, it's worth trying some American-style pale ales, which have the same clean, sharp refreshing taste, but are more rounded and tasty than lagers. Camden Brewery Pale Ale is very good, and often on tap (not keg) in London pubs now. I had an N7 pale ale last night which was good, and a Hackney Brewery American pale ale.

I had the hackney brewery american pale you speak of on cask at my wedding at my request :) great drop
Beer help ! on 20:32 - Jun 1 with 3471 viewsWatfordR

As a few have said, Fursty Ferret is lovely. Marlow's Rebellion Red is flavour of the moment here tho.
Beer help ! on 22:05 - Jun 1 with 3448 viewsCiderwithRsie

I have to say, this thread does bring up the old conundrum of why the feck have we never got Fullers as our sponsors, if only so we could have "London Pride' across the front of the shirts, pretty much where "Guinness" used to go.

"Extra Special Brew" for the Menace kit. Job's a good 'un.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024