Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mike Rigg has left the building.. 10:43 - Dec 20 with 10420 viewsOakwoodR

Just appeared on the Sky Sports News ticker.
Mike Rigg has left the building.. on 00:01 - Dec 21 with 1866 viewsActonR

I think getting rid of Rigg may be a good decision.

I liked the role he played at the club. Clubs like WBA have demonstrated the medium to long term value and stability that a technical director can provide -- something that we most certainly need. Especially if in the short term he can provide some craft in the transfer market.

The way the last regime treated people left a lot to be desired. It demonstrates a fundamental lack of understanding of the culture of the club to sack, arguably, a club legend like Kevin Gallen by email -- for starters what message does that send to the current playing staff.

This is pure superposition, however, I imagine it was Rigg who made these decisions and if he is to blame then this is a good decision.

I hope we find someone else to replace his role. Someone with as impressive a CV but who also has a regard for the culture of the club.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was more to decision then what initially meets the eye.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Mike Rigg has left the building.. on 00:25 - Dec 21 with 1842 viewsichbinnaughty

Mike Rigg has left the building.. on 00:01 - Dec 21 by ActonR

I think getting rid of Rigg may be a good decision.

I liked the role he played at the club. Clubs like WBA have demonstrated the medium to long term value and stability that a technical director can provide -- something that we most certainly need. Especially if in the short term he can provide some craft in the transfer market.

The way the last regime treated people left a lot to be desired. It demonstrates a fundamental lack of understanding of the culture of the club to sack, arguably, a club legend like Kevin Gallen by email -- for starters what message does that send to the current playing staff.

This is pure superposition, however, I imagine it was Rigg who made these decisions and if he is to blame then this is a good decision.

I hope we find someone else to replace his role. Someone with as impressive a CV but who also has a regard for the culture of the club.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was more to decision then what initially meets the eye.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Erm.
Wtf.
I don't know what to say to this.
Mike Rigg has left the building.. on 03:31 - Dec 21 with 1815 viewsrsonist

Redknapp will bring Ian Broomfield in (as well as Allen and Les). IB is no slouch, pretty much the entire current Spurs team is his work. We may have just upgraded on Rigg.
Mike Rigg has left the building.. on 07:59 - Dec 21 with 1788 viewsNortholt_Rs

Mike Rigg has left the building.. on 13:05 - Dec 20 by Stanisgod

Don't think Johnsons had time to be a failure, no-ones fault he got badly injured.

Entirely predictable though.....

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Mike Rigg has left the building.. on 08:05 - Dec 21 with 1787 viewsNortholt_Rs

Mike Rigg has left the building.. on 21:08 - Dec 20 by WatfordR

Redknapp arrives, and the infrastructure being put in place to provide long term viability and stability for the club starts to melt away.

Well there's a surprise.

So is the fact we are unbeaten under him and we've actually won a game! FFS give the man a break!!!!

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Mike Rigg has left the building.. on 08:14 - Dec 21 with 1781 viewsAntti_Heinola

Mike Rigg has left the building.. on 03:31 - Dec 21 by rsonist

Redknapp will bring Ian Broomfield in (as well as Allen and Les). IB is no slouch, pretty much the entire current Spurs team is his work. We may have just upgraded on Rigg.

What are you, his brother? His rep in the game is a laughing stock. He's Harry's bag carrier.
Oh, and he stabbed Mel Johnson in the back. That cost Spurs a pretty penny, too.

Bare bones.

Mike Rigg has left the building.. on 10:32 - Dec 21 with 1707 viewsTW_R

Mike Rigg has left the building.. on 22:56 - Dec 20 by TGRRRSSS

No statement on club website...

There is now. Really detailed:-

http://www.qpr.co.uk/news/article/211212-mike-rigg-554530.aspx
Mike Rigg has left the building.. on 11:37 - Dec 21 with 1659 viewsrsonist

12 months gardening leave apparently.
Login to get fewer ads

Mike Rigg has left the building.. on 11:40 - Dec 21 with 1652 viewsrsonist

Mike Rigg has left the building.. on 08:14 - Dec 21 by Antti_Heinola

What are you, his brother? His rep in the game is a laughing stock. He's Harry's bag carrier.
Oh, and he stabbed Mel Johnson in the back. That cost Spurs a pretty penny, too.

Would you care to explain the reasons for your vehement scorn of Broomfield beyond the vague invocation of "his rep in the game". It appears you must be a bit of a ITK so I'll await your reply eagerly.
Mike Rigg has left the building.. on 11:46 - Dec 21 with 1640 viewsadhoc_qpr

Tribute to Ian Broomfield from a Spurs site:

http://www.spurs.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=7513656

Gives him credit for recruiting Naughton, Walker, Sandro and others. Seems very positive.

I'd personally never heard of him, but i can't see any reason for the negativity?
Mike Rigg has left the building.. on 12:03 - Dec 21 with 1616 viewsAntti_Heinola

Mike Rigg has left the building.. on 11:40 - Dec 21 by rsonist

Would you care to explain the reasons for your vehement scorn of Broomfield beyond the vague invocation of "his rep in the game". It appears you must be a bit of a ITK so I'll await your reply eagerly.

Well, I'm a little wary of libel, to be honest. So I can't be too effusive.
The idea he brought in Naughton and Walker is unlikely, though. Harry went to Spurs in 2008, and chances are they were already trailing them then - even before Harry got there. Broomfield didn't join until the following summer, and the above deals went through in July. Under Arnesen and Comolli, Spurs had one of the most active scouting networks around and thanks to Levy had a stated policy of buying young - which they did a lot of. So the idea that Walker and Naughton were not known about and then suddenly IB turned up they signed them within a couple of weeks is, well, stretching it.
Look, what I will say is that I have a friend on the staff at Spurs who has told me a lot about good old 'Arry and faithful Ian. It isn't nice. Perhaps they have an axe to grind, but it's not exactly an isolated opinion in the game from the various contacts I have.

Bare bones.

Mike Rigg has left the building.. on 12:07 - Dec 21 with 1609 viewsAntti_Heinola

Just to add, I really don't want to sound like an 'ITK' tw@t - I never post saying I know about transfers or anything like that. I just happen to know a couple of people who have worked with Harry in the past, that's all.

Bare bones.

Mike Rigg has left the building.. on 12:13 - Dec 21 with 1600 viewsTacticalR

I am not ITK either

"Johnson, who has more than 25 years experience in football, was compensated for unfair dismissal after Harry Redknapp decided to replace him as chief scout with Ian Broomfield in 2009. He then worked for Newcastle United on a freelance basis.

http://www.thenational.ae/sport/football/liverpool-add-mel-johnson-to-their-scou

When I hear such stories, I ask myself the question I asked earlier in this thread:

Does someone in the club sit down and think, 'who is going to do the best job?', or do they just say 'he's not one of mine, so let's get rid of him'?

Air hostess clique

Mike Rigg has left the building.. on 13:17 - Dec 21 with 1560 viewsrsonist

I agree it does smack of jobs for the boys and that is a concern. (Certainly we can all vouch for Mel Johnson's expertise). However it seems to me like it's stretching it to assume Broomfield deserves no credit for the very decent transfers Spurs made during his tenure there, particularly so when it's Arnesen and Commolli - a real pair of chancers - we're to believe were the masterminds all along...

Still, the worrying thing is that Rigg was not only in charge of player recruitment but medical, sports science, youth, the whole shebang - he still had a massive remit to fulfil. Redknapp meanwhile was never allowed to dictate transfer fees and wages at Spurs the way he ruinously did at Portsmouth.

It's not as if Rigg and Redknapp have had a year together and clashed over policy.

It all points to Fernandes once again being too trustingly led up the garden path by people with no regard for his money. But the need for results and Premiership survival dictates everything ultimately.
Mike Rigg has left the building.. on 13:22 - Dec 21 with 1556 viewsrsonist

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/10/05/3416293/meet-mike-

Regarding Rigg's culpability, well he certainly talks a good game here. But how exactly does "forensic attention to detail" end you up with Jose Bosingwa? How does "the strategy behind it was to improve the quality in various positions that we were weak in and where the squad needed to be strengthened" leave you with a shedload of midfielders, two first-choice keepers, and not much elsewhere?
Mike Rigg has left the building.. on 17:13 - Dec 21 with 1504 viewsTacticalR

Redknapp: There was no rift with Rigg
http://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/redknapp-there-was-no-rift-with-rigg

Air hostess clique

Mike Rigg has left the building.. on 17:30 - Dec 21 with 1489 viewsngbqpr

Mike Rigg has left the building.. on 13:22 - Dec 21 by rsonist

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/10/05/3416293/meet-mike-

Regarding Rigg's culpability, well he certainly talks a good game here. But how exactly does "forensic attention to detail" end you up with Jose Bosingwa? How does "the strategy behind it was to improve the quality in various positions that we were weak in and where the squad needed to be strengthened" leave you with a shedload of midfielders, two first-choice keepers, and not much elsewhere?

This

Much as his remit may well have been the whole shebang, surely he is at least in part culpable for the pig's ear that was made of assembling a first team squad

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Mike Rigg has left the building.. on 18:59 - Dec 21 with 1456 viewsClive_Anderson

Mike Rigg has left the building.. on 13:22 - Dec 21 by rsonist

"Forensic attention to detail" sounds very similar to "meticulous planning". He sounds like another one who talks himself up without anything to back it up.

Reading that article some of the things are quite amusing. He wants credit for signing Yaya Toure, as if no one had heard of him and he didn't cost a fortune. He also wanted to spend £108m on Kaka in 2009 which probably would have been the biggest waste of money ever. Not to mention Santa Cruz.

Bloke is an expensive disaster.
Mike Rigg has left the building.. on 19:03 - Dec 21 with 1451 viewsbaz_qpr

The one positive in this is Harry is clearly putting down roots its not the act of someone who is planning to be off in the summer
Mike Rigg has left the building.. on 22:14 - Dec 21 with 1418 viewsCiderwithRsie

Mike Rigg has left the building.. on 12:13 - Dec 21 by TacticalR

I am not ITK either

"Johnson, who has more than 25 years experience in football, was compensated for unfair dismissal after Harry Redknapp decided to replace him as chief scout with Ian Broomfield in 2009. He then worked for Newcastle United on a freelance basis.

http://www.thenational.ae/sport/football/liverpool-add-mel-johnson-to-their-scou

When I hear such stories, I ask myself the question I asked earlier in this thread:

Does someone in the club sit down and think, 'who is going to do the best job?', or do they just say 'he's not one of mine, so let's get rid of him'?

"Does someone in the club sit down and think, 'who is going to do the best job?', or do they just say 'he's not one of mine, so let's get rid of him'?"

Almost all clubs seem to operate the latter policy. Weird isn't it - can't think of too many other workplaces where this would be so.

The one club that seemed to come up with institutional continuity was Liverpool in the 70 and 80s with the "Bootroom". Seemed to work really well but no-one's replicated it. I wonder what will happen at MUFC when Ferguson retires - will he leave a group to carry on under a new manager or will the new guy start from scratch?
Mike Rigg has left the building.. on 22:47 - Dec 21 with 1393 viewsTacticalR

This is like the intrigues at the court of a Chinese emperor. When a rival was eliminated the friends and family of the rival were also slaughtered.

Air hostess clique

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024