Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Flat roofed pubs.. 13:43 - Apr 29 with 123979 viewsPommyhoop

As mentioned by Konk in the Morhinio thread. Flat roofed pubs are normally shiteholes which are suited to and are normally frequented by a good few Scum supporters. Here's my offering as one of the roughest ,worst boozers I've ever been in .
The Beaver in Beaver's Estate Hounslow .Now that was a REAL shithole!!
Looks like its closed down.Thank F@ck...

Add your own wonderful flat roofed watering holes...

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Flat roofed pubs.. on 00:05 - Jul 1 with 14507 viewsqueensparker

Flat roofed pubs.. on 23:32 - Jun 30 by DWQPR

The KPH doesn't have one but if there ever was a pub that deserved this status it is the KPH. Maybe a future developer could provide it with one, preferably on the ground floor.

Known as the "Keeping Paddies happy" in the 60s according to Alan Johnson MP's excellent book about his early life
Flat roofed pubs.. on 09:29 - Jul 1 with 14394 viewslondonscottish

I went into the the KPH on the way home a couple of seasons ago. Was actually heading to Elgin but my boy who was only 8 at the time was desperate for the loo so we dived into the KPH instead.

Once I was in decided to have a pint and meet some mentalists.

It's been sort of done up now and the frosted glass has gone so not the same.

Reminded me of hanging out in the Castle on Portobello Road in the 90's (called the Warwick Castle then I think). Or the Bridge Tavern in Kilburn. All honorory flat roofers.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2015 9:31]

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Flat roofed pubs.. on 11:07 - Jul 1 with 14329 viewsgordanoR

The Robins, just outside Ashton Gate. Had the misfortune of going in here once after a game there. I was alright but my mate doesn't have a west country accent so i wouldn't let him speak.

Flat roofed pubs.. on 11:33 - Jul 1 with 14293 viewsQPunkR

I not so proudly present The Festival Inn, in East London. Shithole. Also looks a helluva lot worse in the flesh

QPR - "shit but local"

Flat roofed pubs.. on 12:29 - Jul 1 with 14231 views1MoreBrightonR

Flat roofed pubs.. on 09:29 - Jul 1 by londonscottish

I went into the the KPH on the way home a couple of seasons ago. Was actually heading to Elgin but my boy who was only 8 at the time was desperate for the loo so we dived into the KPH instead.

Once I was in decided to have a pint and meet some mentalists.

It's been sort of done up now and the frosted glass has gone so not the same.

Reminded me of hanging out in the Castle on Portobello Road in the 90's (called the Warwick Castle then I think). Or the Bridge Tavern in Kilburn. All honorory flat roofers.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2015 9:31]

Good friend of mine has lived on the estate by the Elgin all his life...literally 50 metres from KPH and he's never been in, even now when they have redone it he wont go in!
Flat roofed pubs.. on 13:11 - Jul 1 with 14175 viewsR_from_afar

Flat roofed pubs.. on 21:01 - Jun 30 by PunteR

Bracknells finest...

A flat,hipped ,gable end roof combo.

My neck of the woods

Apparently, there is a local byelaw which requires all Bracknell hostelries to ensure that any paths which pass their boundary are kept coated with broken glass, 24 hours a day.

What a place....

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Flat roofed pubs.. on 15:00 - Jul 1 with 14129 viewswhittocksRs

Flat roofed pubs.. on 14:03 - Apr 29 by Clive_Anderson

The Globe in one of the nastiest bits of Nottingham. Only half of it has a flat roof though.

Amusingly it actually looks like two blokes doing a drug deal outside it as the Google Streetview van went passed:

http://tinyurl.com/kw6vwy8

This is amazing
Flat roofed pubs.. on 15:37 - Jul 1 with 14096 viewsloftboy

Flat roofed pubs.. on 13:11 - Jul 1 by R_from_afar

My neck of the woods

Apparently, there is a local byelaw which requires all Bracknell hostelries to ensure that any paths which pass their boundary are kept coated with broken glass, 24 hours a day.

What a place....

RFA

Used to frequent the silver birch quite a lot in the early 80's, that Aldi next door used to be a waitress and I worked in its warehouse for a year or so.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Login to get fewer ads

Flat roofed pubs.. on 15:39 - Jul 1 with 14090 viewsQPunkR

Flat roofed pubs.. on 15:37 - Jul 1 by loftboy

Used to frequent the silver birch quite a lot in the early 80's, that Aldi next door used to be a waitress and I worked in its warehouse for a year or so.

Wait, you used to be a waitress??

QPR - "shit but local"

Flat roofed pubs.. on 18:42 - Jul 1 with 14044 viewsR_from_afar

Just remembered this place, in Didcot; OK, only part of it is flat-roofed but can I stretch a point?

I went there in the late 80s and although I always had a good time, perhaps because my mate's girlfriend was HR manager at the place where most of the adult male regulars worked, thereby ensuring we were treated with respect, it was dead rough. I must've drunk a fair bit back then because I can't think I would've had the guts to frequent the place unless I was well oiled. I remember my mate's girlfriend coolly ordering a coffee in there one smokey Friday night; she was able to get away with it but it certainly set her apart from the local hardnuts with their pints of lager and Diamond White chasers.

I've seen a few reviews on beerintheevening and some people loved it but others begged to differ:

"If you want to spend time with rough drunk people head here! The sound of their drunken frolics & not infrequent brawls can be heard from early evening till late at night. This really is so far removed from the warm & welcoming image of a British pub".

"A hole of a pub, in a hole of a town".

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Flat roofed pubs.. on 19:11 - Jul 1 with 14019 viewsitsbiga

I never go in a pub that has no windows. Used to live near this one and never went in. Had a bad rep.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/50308672@N05/6383532353

Poll: Serious concern we'll double drop?

Flat roofed pubs.. on 19:22 - Jul 1 with 14003 viewsbatmanhoop

Flat roofed pubs.. on 11:33 - Jul 1 by QPunkR

I not so proudly present The Festival Inn, in East London. Shithole. Also looks a helluva lot worse in the flesh

you are lucky to have a pub in East London, I fear you won't in the not too distant future
Flat roofed pubs.. on 21:35 - Jul 1 with 13954 viewsPunteR

Flat roofed pubs.. on 13:11 - Jul 1 by R_from_afar

My neck of the woods

What a place....

RFA

When i first moved to Bracknell The Newton Pippin was my local so i popped for a beer as you do.That was also the last time i went in there. Ive moved since. (Still in sunny Bracknell)
Ive gone all upmarket now and drink in Peacock Farm(Its a pub not a farm!). Only because its the only pub near me within walking distance..
[Post edited 1 Jul 2015 21:38]

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Flat roofed pubs.. (n/t) on 21:43 - Jul 1 with 13946 viewsPunteR

Flat roofed pubs.. on 10:41 - Apr 30 by queensparker

Another nomination for "ropiest flat-roofed pub in most glamorous location": the Tower Tavern underneath the BT Tower.

Looks like it might have been done up recently, it used to be well grotty. Haven't been there for years after a member of my party ended up getting lucky with the landlord's daughter one night. He had understandable second thoughts when he'd sobered up the next day...

[Post edited 1 Jul 2015 21:51]

Flat roofed pubs.. on 21:51 - Jul 1 with 13939 viewsPunteR

Flat roofed pubs.. on 10:41 - Apr 30 by queensparker

Another nomination for "ropiest flat-roofed pub in most glamorous location": the Tower Tavern underneath the BT Tower.

Looks like it might have been done up recently, it used to be well grotty. Haven't been there for years after a member of my party ended up getting lucky with the landlord's daughter one night. He had understandable second thoughts when he'd sobered up the next day...

Ha, I used to go to college down great portland st and always drank in there. My first experience of getting absolutely hammered and trying to get back home via the rail network. Had some good pool matches on a friday night i seem to recall.

Flat roofed pubs.. on 23:39 - Jul 1 with 13872 viewsloftboy

Flat roofed pubs.. on 21:35 - Jul 1 by PunteR

When i first moved to Bracknell The Newton Pippin was my local so i popped for a beer as you do.That was also the last time i went in there. Ive moved since. (Still in sunny Bracknell)
Ive gone all upmarket now and drink in Peacock Farm(Its a pub not a farm!). Only because its the only pub near me within walking distance..
[Post edited 1 Jul 2015 21:38]

Drove past the pippin tonight (went to Bracknell to check my folks were ok in the heat) it still looks like it did 30 years ago, my son asked what I was chuckling at "flat roof son, flat roof"

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Flat roofed pubs.. on 00:39 - Jul 2 with 13841 viewsmichael67

Anyone been to Cricklewood will know of this one.

Poll: Do you enjoy NorthermRs presser posts, and wish to see them every week?

Flat roofed pubs.. on 01:07 - Jul 2 with 13826 viewsitsbiga

Flat roofed pubs.. on 00:39 - Jul 2 by michael67

Ohhhh, that looks nice I'm going.

Poll: Serious concern we'll double drop?

Flat roofed pubs.. on 10:08 - Jul 2 with 13761 viewsMonahoop

Flat roofed pubs.. on 21:45 - Sep 5 by collegeranger

I think you may be referring to The Shears in Sunbury. I was born and raised and schooled in the art of drinking in Sunbury and I believe of the 80's era The Shears was the only pub I never went into. Lights on full and never any more than 3 people in it. Never new anyone who ever went in let alone be a regular other than a couple of alkys that frequented most pubs in Sunbury until they wet themselves on a bar stool and got barred.

However for my contribution I give you The Paddock in Molesey. As with The Shears now condemmend to history (hurrah). I went in The Paddock once. My mother was a pub land lady in the late 80's and 90's in High Wycombe and wanted to potentially move back to West London/Surrey areas and I was sent to recce a few boozers that were available as tenanted pubs in the area. One early evening after work I drove over to The Paddock walked in the door where 3 old men were at separate tables and that was it - I walked no more than 3 paces in and the guy behind the bar bellows at me "F@ck off out of my pub" - I asked why and he shouted he said didn't want to buy anything - I was in a suit and took that as a sign that a suit in pub like this usually meant bailiff. I took this a reasonable request and walked straight out as I had seen enough to report back that this was not a pub she would want to invest in.

I used to work for Surrey Ambulance service College and I remember The Shears in Sunbury and the Paddock in Molesey well. One incident I remember at the latter was when England got beat by Argentina in 1998 and it all kicked off after Battie's penalty miss [ well you just knew he was going to ]. A big fight, bigger than the norm erupted outside The Paddock, but instead of a load of guys giving out the aggro it was girls! Now experience in the emergency services taught me that most bloke fights could be cooled quickly if the perpetrators knew you weren't old bill or security, but girls, they're a different species when in a rage and they care not a jot who steps in. Me and my colleague stepped in to help some hapless dame who got a battering from some local hags because she 'looked like a South American' and we got spat at, kicked, scratched and punched trying to do our job. And our patient wasn't hurt enough not to give me absolute dogs abuse all the way to Kingston Hospital. All in a nights work as they say.

Anyone remember the Ferry Inn at Hampton Court, by the bridge? Posh location ,but a dive of a place. Closed down after the first ever ecstacy related death in which I attended.

Other places of mention around that part of the world, The Saxon Arms in Kingston town centre, it became a bank if I remember correctly, The Sefton Arms in West Ewell, not a flat roofed job, but it may as well have been, frequented by the local traveller community and local psychos. Not sure if it is still open.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Flat roofed pubs.. on 10:13 - Jul 2 with 13754 viewsPigbag

Flat roofed pubs.. on 21:45 - Sep 5 by collegeranger

I think you may be referring to The Shears in Sunbury. I was born and raised and schooled in the art of drinking in Sunbury and I believe of the 80's era The Shears was the only pub I never went into. Lights on full and never any more than 3 people in it. Never new anyone who ever went in let alone be a regular other than a couple of alkys that frequented most pubs in Sunbury until they wet themselves on a bar stool and got barred.

However for my contribution I give you The Paddock in Molesey. As with The Shears now condemmend to history (hurrah). I went in The Paddock once. My mother was a pub land lady in the late 80's and 90's in High Wycombe and wanted to potentially move back to West London/Surrey areas and I was sent to recce a few boozers that were available as tenanted pubs in the area. One early evening after work I drove over to The Paddock walked in the door where 3 old men were at separate tables and that was it - I walked no more than 3 paces in and the guy behind the bar bellows at me "F@ck off out of my pub" - I asked why and he shouted he said didn't want to buy anything - I was in a suit and took that as a sign that a suit in pub like this usually meant bailiff. I took this a reasonable request and walked straight out as I had seen enough to report back that this was not a pub she would want to invest in.

And if you didn't fancy The Paddock when drinking in Molesey, you had the option of this beauty. Knocked down a few years ago now.

Flat roofed pubs.. on 10:23 - Jul 2 with 13741 viewsQPunkR

Flat roofed pubs.. on 19:22 - Jul 1 by batmanhoop

you are lucky to have a pub in East London, I fear you won't in the not too distant future

Mate you're not joking. There's barely any around my missus' way any more (I'm still safely ensconced in beautiful West London, thank the Good Lord and all that's holy!!)
More and more being shut down there all the time. For some reason only the absolute shite-holes in Poplar are the ones that're staying

QPR - "shit but local"

Flat roofed pubs.. on 10:24 - Jul 2 with 13733 viewsQPunkR

Flat roofed pubs.. on 00:39 - Jul 2 by michael67

Ha, yes! We got chased out of here and down the road after a mate of mine decided to nick an ash-tray!

QPR - "shit but local"

Flat roofed pubs.. on 14:11 - Jul 2 with 13676 viewsKonk

About twenty years ago, I chucked a sickie to help a mate move house. He was moving out to Hatfield in Hertfordshire and when we finished the move, we went to three or four pubs and these two stuck out.

First up was the Harrier, which was brilliant because on a midweek afternoon, there were people openly smoking weed in the bar, and in the days before pub khazis were full of blokes doing coke, the landlord had to politely ask two of the locals to go to the toilet to do their coke as he’d get in trouble if they carried on snorting it at the bar. They just ignored him. There was also a fella selling stolen meat from a sports bag, whilst his mate was knocking out stolen shampoo, razor blades, deodorant etc. Everything you could ever need, brought to you in the pub by a couple of shifty looking blokes - probably the inspiration for Ocado’s home deliveries. Great pub — stayed for two or three pints during which time we just sat quietly in the corner taking it all in. Oh, and it had “This is free Hatfield” painted on the wall outside in the style of The Bogside.

Then we moved onto this pub in the town centre, but I’m sure it had a different name back then — technically it’s not a flat roof, but it really ought to be. Only stayed for one drink as everyone in there seemed to be on the verge of kicking-off. Genuinely horrible boozer.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Flat roofed pubs.. on 14:43 - Jul 2 with 13647 views18StoneOfHoop

Welcome to Hatfield and the North,the famous A1 sign.

Nice album cover work shame about the music >> One for Blob <1975Prog>

Ha Ha
Just read back at top of page 6 of this enduring diamond thread and some not entirely favourable comments about the KPH.That was the place on earth I've felt most free,relaxed in and happy to act the goat in for 30 years 1983- 2013ish pre Pool table out,prices up,Gentrification.The pub in the parish I was christened in ~ #HomeFromHome. Truly I say unto you; one man's paradise is another man's shytehole. Anyone interested can check out The Kensington Park Hotel Memorial Society on Facebook - QPR gets a fair mention,C**tski does not.

Off to The Pig and Whistle by Latimer Road tube station to see a man
about a dog later this arvo.
In the 1970's this was a pub where Gypsy scores were settled,sometimes in death.
Horrible concrete pebble dash exterior, low 7 foot ceilings = oppressive interior.
At least a pint of Guinness 3.80 not too bad compared to yuppified Vince Power -the Mean Fiddler,Town and Country owner who's refurbed my old favourite KPH which has crucially spirit-reviving high ceilings. where now the pint it's at a kick-out the riff-raff regular cleansing 4.50.
Love most of the scrofulous unwashed smelly ne'er do-wells inside The Pig, hate the architecture.

[Post edited 2 Jul 2015 15:08]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Flat roofed pubs.. on 14:50 - Jul 2 with 13626 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Flat roofed pubs.. on 14:43 - Jul 2 by 18StoneOfHoop

Welcome to Hatfield and the North,the famous A1 sign.

Nice album cover work shame about the music >> One for Blob <1975Prog>

Ha Ha
Just read back at top of page 6 of this enduring diamond thread and some not entirely favourable comments about the KPH.That was the place on earth I've felt most free,relaxed in and happy to act the goat in for 30 years 1983- 2013ish pre Pool table out,prices up,Gentrification.The pub in the parish I was christened in ~ #HomeFromHome. Truly I say unto you; one man's paradise is another man's shytehole. Anyone interested can check out The Kensington Park Hotel Memorial Society on Facebook - QPR gets a fair mention,C**tski does not.

Off to The Pig and Whistle by Latimer Road tube station to see a man
about a dog later this arvo.
In the 1970's this was a pub where Gypsy scores were settled,sometimes in death.
Horrible concrete pebble dash exterior, low 7 foot ceilings = oppressive interior.
At least a pint of Guinness 3.80 not too bad compared to yuppified Vince Power -the Mean Fiddler,Town and Country owner who's refurbed my old favourite KPH which has crucially spirit-reviving high ceilings. where now the pint it's at a kick-out the riff-raff regular cleansing 4.50.
Love most of the scrofulous unwashed smelly ne'er do-wells inside The Pig, hate the architecture.

[Post edited 2 Jul 2015 15:08]

Proper horrible pub that one. 'The favourite' by comparison (also flat) was ok compared to that one as I recall.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024