Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England players who never fulfill their potential 13:39 - Jun 20 with 3615 viewsClive_Anderson

I was thinking about this when watching Rooney lurching about like a flying potato last night. Some of the brightest English players never quite make it as well as you hope.

Rooney - better at 18 than at 29 - at one point he was much better than Ronaldo.
Owen - career pretty much finished at 24
Joe Cole - Gradually got worse and was on the scrapheap at 30
Gazza - Never recovered from his knee injury

Plus a whole load of players that look like great prospects for a couple of seasons and then gradually fade away. Ledley King, Woodgate, Micah Richards, Lennon, Karl Walker, er.. SWP. Can probably add Andros Townsend to that in a couple of years.

Plus you also have the big name players that never seem to do it for England such as Barnes, Gerrard and Lampard.

I'm wondering if it's just an English problem. Do they think they've made it at 19 and stop putting the training in?
England players who never fulfill their potential on 13:42 - Jun 20 with 3606 viewssimmo

Me.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

England players who never fulfill their potential on 14:11 - Jun 20 with 3563 viewsTonto

to be fair Owen was affected by injuries too...

but I think its a much quicker and easier thread to answer if you ask which ones HAVE lived up to their full potential...

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

England players who never fulfill their potential on 14:17 - Jun 20 with 3549 viewsClive_Anderson

England players who never fulfill their potential on 14:11 - Jun 20 by Tonto

to be fair Owen was affected by injuries too...

but I think its a much quicker and easier thread to answer if you ask which ones HAVE lived up to their full potential...

A lot of our best players seem to pick up the bad injuries. Owen, Shearer, Gazza etc.

Last one to live up to their full potential...Lineker?
England players who never fulfill their potential on 14:21 - Jun 20 with 3535 viewsBluce_Ree

Robbie Fowler should have done more.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

England players who never fulfill their potential on 14:22 - Jun 20 with 3529 viewsbosh67

To be fair neither Walker or Townsend were fit.

Rooney is a weird one. I just don't think he is world class internationally. He's an amazing club player and he has scored 40 goals for England. Peter Crouch scored 22 in 42 for England and got dropped with most people, apart from us, saying he wasn't up to it. Rooney has scored 40 in 94 games and that's not bad at all, except for the fact that most people think he is the chosen one. He is one of the world's best club players but internationally he isn't as good as Ronaldo, Messi, etc.

Micah Richards is still only 24 and has had a lot of injuries. However, on form and fit he is a fantastic player and that's why I would like to see him longterm alongside Ned here.

Some players like Joe Cole have a few amazing years and that is it. It does happen. Some players bloom at 18/19 and peek at 25, others spring to life at 24 and 25 onwards.

I actually think that Lampard always played well or well enough for England while Gerrard, another fantastic club player, has never really done it game in game out. Lampard scored 1 in 3 for England. Gerrard more like 1 in 6. Still okay but nowhere near as effective as Lampard.

Daniel Sturridge looks like the real deal and I think he will be a big player for us.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

England players who never fulfill their potential on 14:23 - Jun 20 with 3525 viewsClive_Anderson

England players who never fulfill their potential on 14:21 - Jun 20 by Bluce_Ree

Robbie Fowler should have done more.

Shit yeah I forgot about him, he was amazing for about two years and then lived off it afterwards for about 15 years.

Always thought McManaman was overrated though.
England players who never fulfill their potential on 14:30 - Jun 20 with 3510 viewsMrSheen

England players who never fulfill their potential on 14:23 - Jun 20 by Clive_Anderson

Shit yeah I forgot about him, he was amazing for about two years and then lived off it afterwards for about 15 years.

Always thought McManaman was overrated though.

Fowler came on as sub when England were 4-1 up on Holland and headed over from five yards. I've always felt that if he had scored his international career could have taken off. P*ssed away his best years with poor fitness but still ended up a mutli-millionaire.
England players who never fulfill their potential on 14:33 - Jun 20 with 3502 viewswillis1980

i always thought fowler and wright would do more as england players.

macmannaman seemed to have terrible ball control
Login to get fewer ads

England players who never fulfill their potential on 14:48 - Jun 20 with 3487 viewsMrSheen

Not just England players, though we feel the loss given how little great talent we have.

Bojan Krkic asked to be left out of the Spain squad for Euro 2008 at 17! Now on permanent loan.
Adriano - Mr Motivated. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adriano_Leite_Ribeiro
Denilson - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Den%C3%ADlson_de_Oliveira_Ara%C3%BAjo

Ben Sahar!
England players who never fulfill their potential on 14:57 - Jun 20 with 3467 viewsMedwayR

I think it can be a range of reasons from injuries, just not being as good as they were made out to be or making the wrong career move (Rodwell & Adam Johnson to Man City for example).

But I also think that we have a few reasons across the board:
1) Our players rarely play abroad so they don't get to experience different types of football or leave their comfort zones, this can develop their personalities as much as their football.
2) Between the ages of 18-21 players may make a few appearances (McEachren for example) that will have everyone talking about them but then they'll only get a handful of opportunities to play over the next few seasons which hampers their development. They then seem to go on loan forever playing in most cases in environments which don't stretch their abilities, it's just football for the sake of it.
3) Once a player makes the step up to regular 1st team football, whether at his club or on loan, he enters a cycle of play-recover-play-recover where time & effort isn't put into developing a player, so whatever talent he has at that point of time is the talent that he will have throughout his career with very little improvement. I think Rooney has suffered from this.

Poll: Who’s better?

England players who never fulfill their potential on 15:10 - Jun 20 with 3448 viewspaulparker

god where do you start on this thread, so many players who didn't either live to the hype, wasn't played, or were injured non stop

wasn't played enough
Le Tiss
Collymore
Sir Les ( if he was playing now he would be world class and 1st name on the list )
Micah Richards
Ian Wright
Stan Bowles
Robbie Fowler
Jermain Defoe

injured
Woodgate
Ledley King
Theo Walcott
Dean Ashton
Kevin Beattie
Owen Hargreaves
Chris Kirkland
David Hirst

Didn't Live up to the Hype

David Bentley
Steve Mcmanaman
Joe Cole
Karl Walker
John Barnes
Jack Wiltshire ( although still time)

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

England players who never fulfill their potential on 15:33 - Jun 20 with 3415 viewsMrSheen

England players who never fulfill their potential on 15:10 - Jun 20 by paulparker

god where do you start on this thread, so many players who didn't either live to the hype, wasn't played, or were injured non stop

wasn't played enough
Le Tiss
Collymore
Sir Les ( if he was playing now he would be world class and 1st name on the list )
Micah Richards
Ian Wright
Stan Bowles
Robbie Fowler
Jermain Defoe

injured
Woodgate
Ledley King
Theo Walcott
Dean Ashton
Kevin Beattie
Owen Hargreaves
Chris Kirkland
David Hirst

Didn't Live up to the Hype

David Bentley
Steve Mcmanaman
Joe Cole
Karl Walker
John Barnes
Jack Wiltshire ( although still time)

Ask a City fan about Paul Lake. Watch them well up.
England players who never fulfill their potential on 15:35 - Jun 20 with 3410 viewsTacticalR

Did anyone hear that interview with David Bentley on Off the Ball? He said he was fed up with football and just stopped playing when his contract ran out.

David Bentley on falling out of love with football at 29
http://www.newstalk.ie/David-Bentley-chats-to-Off-The-Ball-about-retiring-at-29

Air hostess clique

England players who never fulfill their potential on 15:36 - Jun 20 with 3409 viewspaulparker

England players who never fulfill their potential on 15:33 - Jun 20 by MrSheen

Ask a City fan about Paul Lake. Watch them well up.

yes I forgot him also wasn't there a winger called White ?? about that era who only got 1 cap he looked good but faded away

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

England players who never fulfill their potential on 15:43 - Jun 20 with 3386 viewsDiscodroid

for me, its one of my latter day hero's kevin gallen. so highly thought off by fellow pro's in the know.

a player that should have gone on to win 5o england caps if it wasnt for that fackin injury at portsmouth.

still a class act obv and a rangers man, but not the player we saw bursting on the scene c up at old trafford and the fololwing season until his injury.

sure he playd for the u-21 england side

[Post edited 20 Jun 2014 15:46]

" I guess in four or five years, the new generation's music will be .. electronics, tapes. I can kind of envision .. maybe one person .. with a lot of machines, tapes, and electronics setups, singin or speaking .. and using machines " James Douglas Morrison | 1969

England players who never fulfill their potential on 15:45 - Jun 20 with 3379 viewsDiscodroid

England players who never fulfill their potential on 15:36 - Jun 20 by paulparker

yes I forgot him also wasn't there a winger called White ?? about that era who only got 1 cap he looked good but faded away

david white.(fat as a house now)

david hirst was a good player to

the dear departed laurie cunningham was another not to live up to the heights he once set either
[Post edited 20 Jun 2014 15:47]

" I guess in four or five years, the new generation's music will be .. electronics, tapes. I can kind of envision .. maybe one person .. with a lot of machines, tapes, and electronics setups, singin or speaking .. and using machines " James Douglas Morrison | 1969

England players who never fulfill their potential on 15:48 - Jun 20 with 3369 viewsWeaverQPR

Gazza

@WeavQPR

England players who never fulfill their potential on 15:54 - Jun 20 with 3355 viewspaulparker

England players who never fulfill their potential on 15:45 - Jun 20 by Discodroid

david white.(fat as a house now)

david hirst was a good player to

the dear departed laurie cunningham was another not to live up to the heights he once set either
[Post edited 20 Jun 2014 15:47]

Great Shout On lawrie Cunningham , Greenwood totally ignored him which was criminal

also My dads fav player Big Cyril Regis , what a beast he could have been for England and to think the receding hairline of mark hateley and Kerry "2 grams for £70 quid " Dixon played more than him

Tricky Trev Sinclair should have played for England long before he did
that season in 96 he pretty much nearly kept us up on his own, he was a f ucking world beater that year and would have been a great player to bring on in Euro 96

England players who never fulfill their potential on 15:58 - Jun 20 with 3335 viewsHollowayRanger

hoddle

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

England players who never fulfill their potential on 16:04 - Jun 20 with 3326 viewsthemodfather

do we just over rate them, when so ordinary?
do we put too much pressure on donuts, and then get upset when the filling bursts out?

the question should be, why do so few bust a gut playing for england! where's the new adams? pearce? can you see cahill chest thumping and yelling for more? no
it's all hair cuts, colour boots and ear phones....time for the fa to stop lavishing luxury for failure.
England players who never fulfill their potential on 16:22 - Jun 20 with 3295 viewsHayesender

Lee Hendrie

Andy (Andrew) Cole

Richard Wright

Michael Carrick

Poll: Shamima Beghum

England players who never fulfill their potential on 16:44 - Jun 20 with 3261 viewsizlingtonhoop

In Walcott's case it's quite a professional paradox. He is quite obviously inordinately blessed ability wise, but his body just isn't up to doing what he asks it to do.

I'm trying to find an analogy in another profession. A barrister allergic to horse hair? A singer who's throat keeps popping? - Paul Young
England players who never fulfill their potential on 16:58 - Jun 20 with 3234 viewsMrSheen

England players who never fulfill their potential on 15:36 - Jun 20 by paulparker

David White's one cap was in David Bardsley's debut (half of his England appearances).
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024