Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
London's Left-Wing Utopian Non-League Ultras Are Reclaiming Football 12:40 - Jan 6 with 6106 viewsgueRRilla

On a Saturday afternoon just before Christmas, as Manchester City's diamond encrusted side carved out another seemingly inevitable win, I was at Champion Hill in South London, where 800 Dulwich Hamlet fans are in full voice. "We're the famous Dulwich Hamlet and we look like Tuscany!" they shouted. The Pink 'n' Blues were taking on Witham Town FC in an Isthmian League Premier division clash — it would take three promotions from here to reach the football league and six to reach the Premiership.

As fan alienation with the upper echelons of football grows, many are turning to non-league clubs to watch the sport — and Dulwich Hamlet is one of the most popular. In this part of South London, you're within easy reach of a game further up the football pyramid, so why do hundreds bother with such seemingly inconsequential football? After all, Dulwich are leagues below teams that can be seen as a by-word for lower league insignificance — Accrington Stanley, Dagenham and Redbridge and Morecambe, for instance, are all three leagues above.

For one thing, money. Football ticket prices are increasing at twice the cost of living. At Dulwich I paid £4 at the turnstile, £2 for the match programme and £3 on a locally brewed Hamlet lager. That's another attraction — you can drink and smoke on the terraces. If you plan ahead, you can even sneak in a stock of cheap tinnies from the nearby Sainsbury's for an even more economical experience. Compare this to Arsenal's £97 on the gate and £4.40 for a Carlsberg.

Continued...

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/dulwich-hamlet-non-league-football-109/
[Post edited 6 Jan 2015 12:41]
London's Left-Wing Utopian Non-League Ultras Are Reclaiming Football on 13:10 - Jan 6 with 6003 viewsbob566

a good read. You can see why more people are turning to that.
London's Left-Wing Utopian Non-League Ultras Are Reclaiming Football on 13:21 - Jan 6 with 5956 viewsTheBlob

They've always had a following like that since the seventies lots of medical students from King's College round the corner.Middle class revolutionaries,good banter there though.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

London's Left-Wing Utopian Non-League Ultras Are Reclaiming Football on 13:29 - Jan 6 with 5920 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Saw them on non-league day, they seemed like a fun bunch.
Going to the home goal singing heartily away the captains switched, there was a little sigh followed by more singing as they walked back around to the other end.

It made me smile.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

London's Left-Wing Utopian Non-League Ultras Are Reclaiming Football on 13:33 - Jan 6 with 5906 viewsrobith

My mates and I used to go a lot back around 2006/7 as a pal is a big non league fan and lived nearby. We used to follow them through the FA Trophy, then whoever beat them all the way to the final. we used to get called "the students" on their messageboard. Cracking place to watch footie at Champion Hill.

Chap I used to work with was on the supporter's trust there - glad to see them thriving for him. He always used to rave about this Turkish lad they had - he's gone to Peterborough now, saw him score a ripper of a free kick on the football league show

Our own Rio Ferdinand is also quite involved with Hamlet - did a lot of shirt raffles etc to keep them going during their darker times.
London's Left-Wing Utopian Non-League Ultras Are Reclaiming Football on 13:37 - Jan 6 with 5885 viewsTheBlob

The first place I remember where supporters would break into a spontaneous round of applause for no apparent reason.Also comments like ..."Come on Dulwich,only eight minutes to the last thirteen!"
"we don't want to got to wembleee,we don't want to win the league,and we'll really shake them up when we stayyyy up...."
Well I thought it was funny at the time.

London's Left-Wing Utopian Non-League Ultras Are Reclaiming Football on 21:04 - Jan 6 with 5619 viewsSterlingArcher

99% of their 'supporters' are R Soles. Bandwagoneers who parasite from one shite
Club to another. Left wingers/communists etc ? Ferk off to Russia or North Korea.
They'll get bored soon enough. Crystal Palace equivelants. Watch out Fisher Athletic !!
London's Left-Wing Utopian Non-League Ultras Are Reclaiming Football on 22:39 - Jan 6 with 5495 viewsTheBlob

London's Left-Wing Utopian Non-League Ultras Are Reclaiming Football on 21:04 - Jan 6 by SterlingArcher

99% of their 'supporters' are R Soles. Bandwagoneers who parasite from one shite
Club to another. Left wingers/communists etc ? Ferk off to Russia or North Korea.
They'll get bored soon enough. Crystal Palace equivelants. Watch out Fisher Athletic !!

Fisher?
Dogan Arif and his mob - nice kunts.

London's Left-Wing Utopian Non-League Ultras Are Reclaiming Football on 03:29 - Jan 7 with 5406 viewsDylanP

Good article. Thanks for posting.

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

Login to get fewer ads

London's Left-Wing Utopian Non-League Ultras Are Reclaiming Football on 12:38 - Jan 7 with 5253 viewsSydneyRs

The he fell down the stairs song is a classic!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024