Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So who's up for the long haul? 19:31 - Mar 17 with 9147 viewsqprewan

There's been many on here recently who like me now accept the liklihood that we are going down and talk eloquently about how we need to "start again and build a club from the bottom up"; TF has used social media to echo these sentiments and has said that we will build up our youth set up and will only generally look to buy young hungry players from the lower league.

This all sounds very encouraging and in many aspects music to our ears and I suspect that is why we were all so initially keen to embrace Chris Ramsey; but yet already the gloss is starting to wear off this particular idea. The fact of the matter is this; if we are going to do this; and I suspect we will have no choice as the wasted money does really seem to be drying up, then it will take time and probably quite a bit of it.

So my question really is this... If we are struggling in the Championship for the next 2 years or more how are all the moaners on here;, and I include myself in this by the way, going to cope with it... will we continue to call for new managers, signings etc or will we be just truly happy that our club is heading in the right direction? Look at Fulham this year and it could quite easily be us. My gut feeling is that despite what we all say, we have been to a greater extent or less all been suckered in to our chairman's grandiose ambitions and talk of new ground etc and will struggle to accept us struggling in the lower leagues. Hope I am wrong.
So who's up for the long haul? on 19:37 - Mar 17 with 6983 viewsTheBlob

"we were all so initially keen to embrace Chris Ramsey"

errrr....no.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

So who's up for the long haul? on 20:21 - Mar 17 with 6916 viewsjohncharles

We were moaning for the last two years because we had a conman in charge.

Strong and stable my arse.

So who's up for the long haul? on 21:39 - Mar 17 with 6844 viewsJuzzie

I've been going to QPR for 30+ years, the long haul has already been done, can easily do some more. Might have to take a step back on going due to finances but that wont change things for me.
So who's up for the long haul? on 21:46 - Mar 17 with 6827 viewsShotKneesHoop

Well over 50 years long haul for me. This is normal behaviour for the R's.

Mind you, QPR being relegated from the Premier and told to play in the Conference because of FPP would a bit of novel experience for me.

The new long haul starts for me this Sunday, I'm afraid.

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

So who's up for the long haul? on 21:52 - Mar 17 with 6807 viewsqprewan

So who's up for the long haul? on 21:46 - Mar 17 by ShotKneesHoop

Mind you, QPR being relegated from the Premier and told to play in the Conference because of FPP would a bit of novel experience for me.

Fair play; that's where I am too...
So who's up for the long haul? on 21:52 - Mar 17 with 6807 viewsCanadaRanger

Rasmsey's record is no worse that Harry's. Some stats have improved, and you can't expect Barton to be gone for half of your tenure and three points lost because of him. It's down to the players.

This is CR's first stab at management, and it comes at Prem level. Huge learning curve. Stick with the man. Make sure he has the help he needs. Not Yes Men. Good professionals. We'll be alright.

I hope he's with us for at least anoither full season. He won't get everything right but he's a breath of fresh air.
[Post edited 17 Mar 2015 23:10]
So who's up for the long haul? on 21:54 - Mar 17 with 6801 viewsYorkRanger

I can cope with it. I think it will take time and the biggest risk is going down again and that would make a long journey to recovery. People who want to play for the club, good team spirit, some sensible blooding of youngsters and getting shot of those out of contract who have added nothing (SWP will lead that group)....
So who's up for the long haul? on 22:01 - Mar 17 with 6787 viewskropotkin41

I shan't be moaning as long as we have an honest manager and a majority of honest hard working players.

Some of the best times I remember following the Rs were in League One and struggling to stay in the Championship. I'd still rather Ramsey than some expensive alternative with a big name.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Login to get fewer ads

So who's up for the long haul? on 22:02 - Mar 17 with 6785 viewseccles

We all are!
We've all watched our lot in the championship and league1. They're in our blood. We'll moan like fck but we'll all be back.
Cheaper tickets if nothing else!
So who's up for the long haul? on 23:28 - Mar 17 with 6707 viewsHantsR

Can't see me ever supporting any other team - I cling to the thought that the glorious days I've experienced over the many, many years will some day return. Just playing well and winning more than we lose could do so much for my mood and general sense of well-being.

Thinking back to the dire days of the lowly leagues and epitomised by that awful £5 0-0 draw with Cambridge doesn't inspire me, but I'll be there one way or another.
So who's up for the long haul? on 09:01 - Mar 18 with 6619 viewsCiderwithRsie

So who's up for the long haul? on 22:01 - Mar 17 by kropotkin41

I shan't be moaning as long as we have an honest manager and a majority of honest hard working players.

Some of the best times I remember following the Rs were in League One and struggling to stay in the Championship. I'd still rather Ramsey than some expensive alternative with a big name.

I've deliberately not looked at this site for the last two weeks or so as I knew it would be just too depressing (no offence to anyone who's been having a moan or even a full scale melt down, I know how you feel, I just don't want to join in.)

Anyway, plus one to this from me
So who's up for the long haul? on 09:41 - Mar 18 with 6587 viewsEastR

To answer the question asked, I think everyone here is in for the long haul, that’s deal we signed up for when we started supporting QPR.
The last 3 excursions to the top division have been a minor downer on an otherwise generally futile, infuriating and wonderful lifetime trip. And we’ll be there for the next instalment irrespective of who holds the purse strings or who pulls on the shirt on the pitch.

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

So who's up for the long haul? on 09:51 - Mar 18 with 6580 viewsdaveB

QPR fans or any football fans really will genuinely never be happy

For the last year I’ve read three themes non stop on here which are the club are mad to loan out young players and not play them in the first team, the club are mad to go with an experienced manager who doesn’t go into games with any sort of plan and the club are mad to keep signing players and never look within to solve a problem. Three themes I can understand and tend to agree with but was never going to be as easy as flick a switch do the opposite and everything is great

The club changed philosophy finally in February and went with a coach to organise the team and set them up with a game plan, he put a few kids in when we got injuries rather than loaning them out and when we’ve had injuries rather than moan and groan he has got on with it and found solutions within the club with mixed results.

That way of thinking that many on here had been absolutely screaming for in recent months/years took three yes just three games to be ridiculed. I now read the club are mad to play Furlong as he hasn’t had a loan spell to gain experience whilst the club are also mad for loaning out Robinson to Huddersfield to gain experience. The manager hasn’t got any experience and we now need someone like Dick Advoccat to sort it out and we should have spent more in January to give us a chance.

If we’re going to go down this road of rebuilding and giving youth a chance it’s not a quick fix, we’ll probably go down and possibly down again next year with no real guarantee that that way of doing things will ever work. The only success as a club we’ve had in 20 years has been when we’ve spent big and even that success was built without foundations and didn’t last long.
So who's up for the long haul? on 10:12 - Mar 18 with 6552 viewsTheBlob

So who's up for the long haul? on 21:46 - Mar 17 by ShotKneesHoop

Yeah,ditto the 50 years plus.Up and down like a whore's drawers we are.
Tell you what though,the grub at Conference level is better and cheaper.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

So who's up for the long haul? on 10:23 - Mar 18 with 6536 viewsDiscodroids

So who's up for the long haul? on 19:37 - Mar 17 by TheBlob

errrr....no.

+1 blob.

real green shield stamp job is ramsey..

i thought it was a joke/wind up when i got back from holiday and found the watchtower seller in the managers chair.

more chauncey per square inch than chauncey gardner.

still , not gonna chuck it in after 38 years. i lived though frank sibly , steve burtenshaw and ray harford.
[Post edited 18 Mar 2015 10:31]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

So who's up for the long haul? on 13:28 - Mar 18 with 6432 viewsBurnleyhoop

Everyone's in it for the long haul, that goes without saying.

What the club needs to do is adopt a balanced approach to the way it is structured and how it spends its money. We can't hope to be successful with a bunch of overpaid prima donnas and similarly, we will fail miserably throwing in kids for the sake of it, when they clearly aren't ready for it.

Find a spot somewhere in between and work at it !!
So who's up for the long haul? on 13:56 - Mar 18 with 6395 viewsShotKneesHoop

The perfect model to follow is the Burnley one that they have adopted on getting into the Premier.

Build on in house talents, only go into the transfer market when a need has been identified, and the target buy is someone on the way up, not on the way down.

In other words, the opposite of what Pinoccio Rednobb has done to the R's for the last two years.

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

So who's up for the long haul? on 14:01 - Mar 18 with 6390 viewsheadhoops

I've been doing the long haul for 50+ years as well - wont change whatever division we are in. Only regret is that as I cant afford business class and we dont have Premium economy seats.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

So who's up for the long haul? on 14:10 - Mar 18 with 6375 viewsNW10Hoop

It's a good question. QPR investing their time and efforts on youth and lower league players on the way up is something I think all QPR fans want. It harks back to the days of the late 80s and early 90s when my dad first started taking me to Loftus Rd.

I don't think there's any guarantee that even if done well it's going to result in Premiership stabilty - For all the gushing about the way Burnley do things, they are only 3 points better off than us. However if it means that the club can survive and thrive no matter who owns/runs the club then I am up for the long haul.
So who's up for the long haul? on 15:30 - Mar 18 with 6301 viewsHayesender

I've survived Alan Mullery

I've survived Ray Harford

I've survived the Fulham park Rangers merger

I've survived bucket collections

I'll survive whatever crap gets thrown at us in the next few months

Will I moan? Damn right I will

Poll: Shamima Beghum

So who's up for the long haul? on 15:45 - Mar 18 with 6281 viewsTacticalR

Air hostess clique

So who's up for the long haul? on 16:20 - Mar 18 with 6258 viewsPhilmyRs

So who's up for the long haul? on 09:51 - Mar 18 by daveB

QPR fans or any football fans really will genuinely never be happy

For the last year I’ve read three themes non stop on here which are the club are mad to loan out young players and not play them in the first team, the club are mad to go with an experienced manager who doesn’t go into games with any sort of plan and the club are mad to keep signing players and never look within to solve a problem. Three themes I can understand and tend to agree with but was never going to be as easy as flick a switch do the opposite and everything is great

The club changed philosophy finally in February and went with a coach to organise the team and set them up with a game plan, he put a few kids in when we got injuries rather than loaning them out and when we’ve had injuries rather than moan and groan he has got on with it and found solutions within the club with mixed results.

That way of thinking that many on here had been absolutely screaming for in recent months/years took three yes just three games to be ridiculed. I now read the club are mad to play Furlong as he hasn’t had a loan spell to gain experience whilst the club are also mad for loaning out Robinson to Huddersfield to gain experience. The manager hasn’t got any experience and we now need someone like Dick Advoccat to sort it out and we should have spent more in January to give us a chance.

If we’re going to go down this road of rebuilding and giving youth a chance it’s not a quick fix, we’ll probably go down and possibly down again next year with no real guarantee that that way of doing things will ever work. The only success as a club we’ve had in 20 years has been when we’ve spent big and even that success was built without foundations and didn’t last long.

That’s quite a generalisation of people’s views on here.
I’ve never had a problem with younger players learning their trade, getting game time and developing as a player on loan with another club. In fact I’ve been supportive of it. The only slight criticisms I’ve had is once they’ve played 50+ games on loan, they rarely get a chance on their return, especially in games where it’s seemingly the perfect opportunity to give them a chance.

Furlong is fresh out of an average academy and has no league football experience to his name. Is it not fair to question our policy of sending out so many players to lower league clubs to learn the game and improve, yet when we need cover, when we have just one injured right back, we’re forced to turn to a kid that’s clearly not ready? Doughty on the other hand, a player that’s done his time, has played a lot of lower league football, is a player I have no issue with being involved with the first team. In fact I was impressed with him in the brief cameos I’ve seen which shows me the major benefit of experiencing real, competitive football on a regular basis.

The mixed results comment is quite generous too, we’ve got 3 points since Ramsey took over, beating a poor Sunderland team and have lost every other game. He’s brought some positivity back to the club, restored confidence to some players, notably Phillips and I have no problem with him as Manager. My problem is that because fans have been disappointed at the lack of involvement of some of the younger players in the past, you’ve jumped on Ramsey’s selection of Furlong and the subsequent comments about his inclusion as a mistake, as ‘fans never being happy’, ‘can’t have it all etc.’, yet as I’ve explained above, we have every right to not just criticise the Furlong selection, but question the whole point of our loan system.
So who's up for the long haul? on 17:01 - Mar 18 with 6213 viewsMedwayR

The question isn't whether the fans are up for the long haul, it's whether the owners are & what happens if they're not.

Fernandes has consistently been all talk & little action but if he does go down the path of running the club sensibly with proper leadership, sensible appointments and smart use of the academy & lower leagues when recruiting players then I can only wonder how long it'll last before he panics at a perceived lack of progress & reverts back to big names in a desperate attempt to get us back amongst the premier league money.

Just because he tweets that he wants to it that way it doesn't mean he understands what it will involve or will have the patience to see it through to a point where we might reap the rewards. I'd imagine it's vital to his plans for the club to be in the premier league, taking the approach we're talking about isn't likely to achieve that any time soon assuming we go down. Maybe he's been caught in the middle ground; hasn't thrown enough money at it to get real quality but spent enough to attract high earning but ultimately average players.

He has to make a decision, have a sensible long term plan and give it time (in the championship) or give it more money and hope we manage to get into & stay in the prem. Basically, which is more important to him, premier league or a sound infrastructure.

Poll: Who’s better?

So who's up for the long haul? on 17:35 - Mar 18 with 6184 viewsQPR1882

So who's up for the long haul? on 19:37 - Mar 17 by TheBlob

errrr....no.

Some of us wanted Timmy but were shot down in flames.
So who's up for the long haul? on 17:50 - Mar 18 with 6165 viewsJamie

So who's up for the long haul? on 17:35 - Mar 18 by QPR1882

Some of us wanted Timmy but were shot down in flames.

Quite rightly so. The guys a monumental thundercnt.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024