Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Terry Connor 04:58 - Mar 23 with 3451 viewsSydneyRs

I know people were blasted for comparing Ramsey to Connor based on skin colour., but the similarities don't end there. Alf has achieved one win which is something Connor never managed, but other than that the following from Connor's wikipedia page is uncanny:

In February 2012, he was given the role of manager by Wolves until the end of the current season, after the sacking of Mick McCarthy. Chief executive Jez Moxey confirmed that the position was offered to one other candidate, widely considered by the media to be Alan Curbishley, who refused the position before Connor was appointed. This was despite the club's chief executive Jez Moxey stating that the job would be given to an experienced manager.

Connor took charge with Wolves in 18th place, one of five teams at the foot of the table looking to avoid the three relegation places. His first game in charge brought a 2—2 draw at Newcastle United on 25 February 2012. However, his side then suffered seven consecutive defeats which left them rooted to the bottom of the table and were relegated on 22 April after a 0—2 defeat to Manchester City. In his thirteen games, he failed to achieve any wins and gained only four points from a possible 39. The team finished bottom of the table with one of the lowest points tallies in their history (25).
Terry Connor on 07:53 - Mar 23 with 3317 viewsJonDoeman

Agree very similar.

It Is What It Is !!

Terry Connor on 08:37 - Mar 23 with 3252 viewsHooped_Pullie

Terry Connor on 07:53 - Mar 23 by JonDoeman

Agree very similar.

On the face of it, perhaps, but I cannot help but think that the far more accurate - and relevant - comparison is with Neil Adams, who stepped up from a similar position to manage Norwich last season. Also highly thought of, he couldn't win a Prem game to save his life, yet following their relegation was still handed the job. As we know, he couldn't hack it in the Champ either, and was sacked, allowing a really promising Alex Neil to come in and put the club right back in contention for automatic promotion.

If Ramsey is appointed in the summer - and it is very much still a possibility - I expect him to be gone by Christmas, with us possibly looking at a Wigan-style decline by then.

Sorry to be so pessimistic, but this all reminds me too much of Waddock taking over from Holloway. And we all know how that ended up.
Terry Connor on 09:10 - Mar 23 with 3203 viewsJonDoeman

Terry Connor on 08:37 - Mar 23 by Hooped_Pullie

On the face of it, perhaps, but I cannot help but think that the far more accurate - and relevant - comparison is with Neil Adams, who stepped up from a similar position to manage Norwich last season. Also highly thought of, he couldn't win a Prem game to save his life, yet following their relegation was still handed the job. As we know, he couldn't hack it in the Champ either, and was sacked, allowing a really promising Alex Neil to come in and put the club right back in contention for automatic promotion.

If Ramsey is appointed in the summer - and it is very much still a possibility - I expect him to be gone by Christmas, with us possibly looking at a Wigan-style decline by then.

Sorry to be so pessimistic, but this all reminds me too much of Waddock taking over from Holloway. And we all know how that ended up.

Fair enough mate, hope we have more in common with Norwich next season as well, but I fear it will be Wolves, but as has been said they are looking good now, so we live in hope.

It Is What It Is !!

Terry Connor on 09:12 - Mar 23 with 3201 viewsadhoc_qpr

I think the board got overexcited by the Sunderland win initially, but there is practically zero chance that Ramsey will be kept on as manager now.
Terry Connor on 12:25 - Mar 23 with 3080 viewsNov77

Tony thought the Sunderland win showed how good our caretaker manager was, it didn't, it showed how bad sunderland's full time manager was.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Terry Connor on 12:33 - Mar 23 with 3050 viewsadhoc_qpr

Terry Connor on 12:25 - Mar 23 by Nov77

Tony thought the Sunderland win showed how good our caretaker manager was, it didn't, it showed how bad sunderland's full time manager was.

The team selection at Sunderland was odd, but due to their shocking performance, Fer having a stormer and a new manager bounce effect - we got the 3 points.

Easy to forget that Sunderland created 6 or 7 great chances in the second half and Green had a great game.
Terry Connor on 12:33 - Mar 23 with 3047 viewsdaveB

lets not pretend it was just Fernandes, plenty on here and on Twitter were pleading with Fernandes to give Ramsey a chance after the Sunderland win, not as though we had many other options at the time.
Terry Connor on 12:51 - Mar 23 with 3000 viewsTHEBUSH

Terry Connor on 09:12 - Mar 23 by adhoc_qpr

I think the board got overexcited by the Sunderland win initially, but there is practically zero chance that Ramsey will be kept on as manager now.

I agree with this, don't think Ramsey has done enough to prove he will be our new full time manager next season.

The OP comparing TC with CR is totally wrong, whatever way you look at it
Login to get fewer ads

Terry Connor on 12:55 - Mar 23 with 2971 viewsDiscodroids

Terry Connor on 12:33 - Mar 23 by daveB

lets not pretend it was just Fernandes, plenty on here and on Twitter were pleading with Fernandes to give Ramsey a chance after the Sunderland win, not as though we had many other options at the time.

was they ??, glad i was away at the time then, or spontaneous combustion would have taken place in chingford

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Terry Connor on 13:08 - Mar 23 with 2946 viewsdaveB

Terry Connor on 12:55 - Mar 23 by Discodroids

was they ??, glad i was away at the time then, or spontaneous combustion would have taken place in chingford

At the time it seemed the option was Ramsey or Sherwood and honestly the majority on here were saying give Ramsey a chance till the end of the season
Terry Connor on 18:38 - Mar 23 with 2827 viewsPunteR

Terry Connor on 13:08 - Mar 23 by daveB

At the time it seemed the option was Ramsey or Sherwood and honestly the majority on here were saying give Ramsey a chance till the end of the season

Yeh it was,almost across the board. Apart from blob I think.!
I would have been happy with Sherwood but it seemed he wanted far too much money and long contract to justify signing him. Whether that's true or not I'll probably never know.
I was happy with Ramsey but it was a gamble that looks like not paying off.
I don't really see the comparison between Ramsey and Connor. Conner was a long term number 2 for mick McCarthy that took over for the short term where Ramsey got brought in through the back door by Les,and his appointment seems a longer term plan. .or was.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Terry Connor on 18:58 - Mar 23 with 2802 viewspaulparker

Terry Connor on 12:55 - Mar 23 by Discodroids

Mate it was embarrsing there were even people saying give him a 3 year deal
You would have thought he was the next Brian Clough by the hysteria on here
The problem is TF is so easily influenced he then gave Ramsey the job
The same TF who was going to give twitchy a 2 year deal after beating villa ,
And there are still people who believe TF will make the right appointment come the summer ,
BTW it was me who compared him to Terry Connor and was then branded a racist ,
This has all the hallmarks of that appointment as Wolves went down with a whimper that year like we are now , Wolves didn't go for Bruce or curbishley but the nice guy coach and they then went down 2 divisions
If Ramsey was that great a coach levy would have kept him , the simple facts are he is average

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024